Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football 2012--Week 3.5: Buffalo
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Football 2012--Week 3.5: Buffalo
Weird scheduling gives 10 days before the next two games. I guess UB is technically week 3.

This has become a must-win vs. a resurgent Bulls team that has a very formidable ground game.
09-09-2012 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shakermaker05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ϟ KENT STATE ϟ
RE: Football 2012--Week 3.5: Buffalo
(09-09-2012 02:13 PM)axeme Wrote:  Weird scheduling gives 10 days before the next two games. I guess UB is technically week 3.

This has become a must-win vs. a resurgent Bulls team that has a very formidable ground game.

Very weird scheduling indeed! I almost thought this was our bye week coming up already lol

Hopefully the coaches will scheme up some better game plans with the extra time unlike they did with the 2 extra days of preparation vs. UK.
09-12-2012 08:34 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Of note from today -

Kentucky loses at home to WKU

Northern beats Army at West Point, 41-40

Ball State wins in Bloomington over IU, 41-39

Western nearly beat Minnesota

Miami held its own in Boise

Toledo over BUGS 27-15

OU found a way to win @ Marshall

Akron wins 66-6 (last time we won by 60? 1954 against Western Reserve)
09-15-2012 11:36 PM
GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
Yep, good day for the MAC. @ Buffalo and their stud RB worries me, unless the KSU defense is refocused/disciplined coming off these 10 days. Looks like the Zits 5th yr senior transfer QB can sling it pretty good, although he left the 3rd quarter this week with broken ribs and they play @ Tennessee next week. OU is pushing to go 12-0, their fans/administration/coaching staff/players. WMU & Miami have QBs who will either get drafted in this years NFL draft or will get picked up as undrafted free agents.
09-16-2012 09:41 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

We interrupt the harmonic chirping of the crickets to bring you the opening line...

BUF -2.5
09-16-2012 09:54 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Seems like a long time since we played: NFL has played two games, Reds winning, Indians doing whatever you call what they do.

This is a real turning point game. A win would mean a lot to both teams. Starting division play 1-0 is crucial to having a good season.
09-17-2012 06:25 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(09-16-2012 09:54 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  We interrupt the harmonic chirping of the crickets to bring you the opening line...

BUF -2.5

Sounds about right... This game looks like a Push so you give 2 or 3 to the home team.

Kent is my Barometer for this season. They have been a much better team than most people know and if UB wants to get out of the low rent MAC apartments they need to go through Kent..
09-17-2012 09:59 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I think it's a barometer for both teams. Kent is 9-23 in MAC openers on the road so it is seemingly always trying to play catch-up. And I need not remind everyone on this board the Flashes' struggles against UB before the series was suspended.

Defensively the Flashes have been torched in the first two games. This is a change of pace for us as our D is normally among the best in the region. I don't see Oliver keeping up his 6.3 avg per carry against our front but I've been wrong once or twice. Zordich running is what worries me. Dysert, Klein, Dantin have exploited us in that regard over the last year or so. If KSU can eliminate the plays of 15-20+ yard plays I like its chances.

As far as our offense goes I think our receivers need to step up. They aren't getting off their blocks and jams at the line well - or at least didn't in Lexington. We need improved routes and guys must make plays. This includes Spencer being more crisp and putting the ball on the front shoulder instead of the back. Sure would be nice to see a couple of 100-yard rushers too.

Special teams usually make or break you on the road and I feel that's where this game will be decided. This game features two freshmen punters who have averaged below 40 yards per kick early on. If I'm the special teams coordinator, I'm bringing pressure.

Finally, in terms of MAC apartments, with the addition of the sparkling new Province complex right on campus I'd rank ours among the best in the league. Definitely better than the slums of Akron and shacks of Athens.
09-17-2012 10:19 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(09-17-2012 10:19 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I think it's a barometer for both teams. Kent is 9-23 in MAC openers on the road so it is seemingly always trying to play catch-up. And I need not remind everyone on this board the Flashes' struggles against UB before the series was suspended.

Defensively the Flashes have been torched in the first two games. This is a change of pace for us as our D is normally among the best in the region. I don't see Oliver keeping up his 6.3 avg per carry against our front but I've been wrong once or twice. Zordich running is what worries me. Dysert, Klein, Dantin have exploited us in that regard over the last year or so. If KSU can eliminate the plays of 15-20+ yard plays I like its chances.

As far as our offense goes I think our receivers need to step up. They aren't getting off their blocks and jams at the line well - or at least didn't in Lexington. We need improved routes and guys must make plays. This includes Spencer being more crisp and putting the ball on the front shoulder instead of the back. Sure would be nice to see a couple of 100-yard rushers too.

Special teams usually make or break you on the road and I feel that's where this game will be decided. This game features two freshmen punters who have averaged below 40 yards per kick early on. If I'm the special teams coordinator, I'm bringing pressure.

Finally, in terms of MAC apartments, with the addition of the sparkling new Province complex right on campus I'd rank ours among the best in the league. Definitely better than the slums of Akron and shacks of Athens.

Olivers average is seriously padded by Morgan State. In reality he's not a 6ypc back. He is a 4-4.5 YPC back but he's good for that 25-30 times a game.

Zordich has been a *very* pleasent surprise. Even against Georgia he looked in control and calm. Seems to be very big at picking his holes when he decides to run which is a big step from 2010 when he just tucked and ran when his first read was not open.
09-17-2012 10:31 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

Is Van Miller still around Buffalo area? I think I remember seeing him on the field or something when Kent was there in 06 or 08.
09-17-2012 10:33 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(09-17-2012 10:33 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  Is Van Miller still around Buffalo area? I think I remember seeing him on the field or something when Kent was there in 06 or 08.

He lives in the Area but is retired... What a voice on that guy!

I grew up as a Bills fan so it was an easy change when he was covering the UB games.
09-17-2012 11:15 AM
Advertisement

shakermaker05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ϟ KENT STATE ϟ
What channel is ESPNU on Time Warner??
09-18-2012 12:09 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
That whole half went to waste in the last minute of the 2nd quarter. I have that deflating feeling that I get all too often.
09-19-2012 07:36 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(09-19-2012 07:36 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  That whole half went to waste in the last minute of the 2nd quarter. I have that deflating feeling that I get all too often.

Yep. We kicked their ass the entire half and should be ahead 14-0 or 17-0 and instead it's 10-7. Painful.
09-19-2012 07:45 PM
joepa66 Offline
1st String

I love Freddie Cortez, but come on....we are just settling and letting them hang around. Archer impressed me at KY but man is that guy dangerous. Durham is like a runaway tractor trailer and deceptively fast. Really impressed with Fisher and his quick thinking ability. He doesn't hold onto the ball very long.
09-19-2012 08:54 PM
zrb2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U at Buffalo
I give Kent St credit. You guys physically dominated UB tonight...knocked out Bo Oliver, Means, Fred Lee, etc.. Our best players! I'd say this was a complete butt whipping in the trenches. Once again, the UB program takes 2 steps backwards...awful. COngrats to you
09-19-2012 09:02 PM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

We earned this win and I am thrilled to win a road game in conference and be 1-0. We are lucky this was Buffalo and they stink. We killed ourselves all night with penalties and the inability to get in the end zone. We did a lot of good things. We ran the ball extremely well. I thought Fisher played well (except for the INT in the end zone). I will say, Cortez scares the crap out of me every time he comes on the field. I could go on and on, but there is no need.

All in all, it was a great night for KSU football.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 09:12 PM by dannyb73.)
09-19-2012 09:12 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

Almost forgot to mention the defense. We shut them out. I don't count a hail mary TD. That is a fantastic effort.
09-19-2012 09:19 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
I have basically been a Keith fan since his freshman year. I have a different view now. He is smart, and a good man, but he is not a MAC level QB at all. There is no threat at that position. Have not seen enough of Fisher to know of his talent. We need lots of help at QB. I am sure everyone thinks the same thing.
09-19-2012 10:01 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(09-19-2012 10:01 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  I have basically been a Keith fan since his freshman year. I have a different view now. He is smart, and a good man, but he is not a MAC level QB at all. There is no threat at that position. Have not seen enough of Fisher to know of his talent. We need lots of help at QB. I am sure everyone thinks the same thing.

Indeed we do. It's kind of sad but the best QB in Kent plays for the High School, shame we weren't able to get him.

This was a great all around game though. With this defense and running game we will be able to win some games with average QB play. It will be interesting to see what kind of affect Goode has on the passing game when he comes back.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 10:32 PM by anti-zip.)
09-19-2012 10:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.