Jim Rogers: Get Worried
09-07-2012 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Jim Rogers: Get Worried
Rogers has been a bit off recently. Now he is enthralled with investing in Russia. IMHO, he's crazy for investing in Russia right now. Its a huge risk. And I'm not sure that any foreigner can actually extract the premiums required to compensate for the political risk of investing in Russia.

While Jim may be my cousin, my political and investing strategies are more aligned with his former business partner... George Soros. I cannot believe those two were partners for years.

He is correct in assessing that Merkel one of the real problems. For the life of me, I cannot fathom how Germany doesn't realize that if the weak nations of Euro aren't in it, then Germany won't be able to hold its export driven economy up (Germany is the world's largest net exporter per capita).

I don't buy his arguments about fiscal policy. Cutting taxes on the rich (who do not consume in the same proportion to their income as the middle class) seems to be a disfunctional way to stimulate the economy. I'm also not a big Gold bug. Or a big SFr fan either. I think it will take a tax raise + cutting spending (including on the military) to get our debt under control.

Furthermore, my investment strategy is more in corporate convertable bonds because I'm concerned about inflation. Coca-Cola isn't going to zero in a downturn. Neither is ADM.

And I don't see enough transparency in China right now to be comfortable investing heavily in it. Their banking sector appears to be more screwed up than ours or the Japanese prior to their crash. I think Jim might be just talking up his position. China's financial sector makes lots of investments for political reasons...I'm starting to see too many empty cities and non-performing loans to be really confortable.

I actually see the result of a Euro collapse to drive the US dollar upwards. Which presents some very interesting challenges and opportunities.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 02:22 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
09-07-2012 02:21 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(09-07-2012 02:21 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Rogers has been a bit off recently.

Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:While Jim may be my cousin, my political and investing strategies are more aligned with his former business partner... George Soros.

Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:I'm also not a big Gold bug.

Does not compute. You realize Soros just bet big on gold, right? This, after calling it the "ultimate bubble" just over two years ago.
09-07-2012 02:36 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 02:36 PM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 02:21 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Rogers has been a bit off recently.

Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:While Jim may be my cousin, my political and investing strategies are more aligned with his former business partner... George Soros.

Does not compute. You realize Soros just bet big on gold, right? This, after calling it the "ultimate bubble" just over two years ago.

I didn't realize that Soros bet big on gold. I'm still good without out it in my portfolio. It pays no dividend and is obscenely volatile. I think that investing in certain commodities that have a 'useful value' in a downmarket economy is much better strategy than a straight up Gold play. Gold could go to 2500, it could go down to 1000. Either outcome is equally likely IMHO. I'll let others play that game.

There isn't enough Gold to be a worldwide store of value. There also aren't enough Swiss Francs.

Gold is for those with a huge appetite for risk or for those that are paranoid.

The problem for those that dream of the US going back to a Gold Standard is that the US dollar is likely to go UP not down against the world basket of currencies in the near term. The US appears to be more stable than Europe, the SFr is grossly overvalued, and there are more people who actually need to make a return on their investment (e.g., interest or dividends) than those that just want to bury Gold bars in their backyard. Gold may go up as well in the event of a hard crash in the Eurozone but...the Dollar will as well.

No one is going to use Gold as a currency anytime soon.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 02:51 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
09-07-2012 02:45 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
(09-07-2012 02:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I didn't realize that Soros bet big on gold. I'm still good without out it in my portfolio. It pays no dividend and is obscenely volatile. I think that investing in certain commodities that have a 'useful value' in a downmarket economy is much better strategy than a straight up Gold play. Gold could go to 2500, it could go down to 1000. Either outcome is equally likely IMHO. I'll let others play that game.

There isn't enough Gold to be a worldwide store of value. There also aren't enough Swiss Francs.

The problem for those that dream of the US going back to a Gold Standard is that the US dollar is likely to go UP not down against the world basket of currencies in the near term. The US appears to be more stable than Europe, the SFr is grossly overvalued, and there are more people who actually need to make a return on their investment (e.g., interest or dividends) than those that just want to bury Gold bars in their backyard. Gold may go up as well in the event of a hard crash in the Eurozone but...the Dollar will as well.

If your fellow lefties get their way, nothing will pay a dividend because corporate profits will be banned! WOOO!
09-07-2012 03:17 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-07-2012 02:21 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  While Jim may be my cousin,

Given your South Alabama connection, I assume on his dad's side.

Do I know you?
09-07-2012 03:32 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 03:32 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Do I know you?

I doubt we know each other, though it is possible. I am a Beeland if that helps (his dad's side of the family). The Beeland family is HUGE. My mom and him were (my mom has passed) 3rd cousins. In an odd twist, I'm related to him on the Greenville, Ala (Beeland) side of the family. But the other side of my mom's family (that isn't related to Rogers by blood) is from the same place as he is..Demopolis. My brother and I still have a 500 acre farm there. We aren't particularly close. I've met him a few times, that's all.
09-07-2012 05:45 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-07-2012 05:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I doubt we know each other, though it is possible. I am a Beeland if that helps (his dad's side of the family). The Beeland family is HUGE. My mom and him were (my mom has passed) 3rd cousins. In an odd twist, I'm related to him on the Greenville, Ala (Beeland) side of the family. But the other side of my mom's family (that isn't related to Rogers by blood) is from the same place as he is..Demopolis. My brother and I still have a 500 acre farm there. We aren't particularly close. I've met him a few times, that's all.

I don't think we do know each other, but very interesting. I really didn't know the Beeland side of Jim's family, although I know the name becuase it's Jim's dad's middle name (and maybe Jim's too, I don't remember). I knew most of the Rogers family and I knew some of his mother's family from Oklahoma. One of Jim's younger brothers was my best friend in HS and both our families attended the same church. Jim and I still email each other periodically. He says that he hasn't talked to George Soros in years, and I believe that. And I was quite surprised when Ronnie Paul mentioned to his dad that I knew Jim, and Ron told me that he and Jim were close. I might or might not know the other side of your mom's family. For anonymity reasons, if we wanted to continue this any further, we should probably do it in PM.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 05:58 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-07-2012 05:52 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 03:17 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 02:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

If your fellow lefties get their way, nothing will pay a dividend because corporate profits will be banned! WOOO!

I am big lefty who supports corporate profits and works in the energy industry. I also support taxation as well and understand that taxes are a necessary cost of living in a functioning society.

Actually, as a significant shareholder, I find excessive executive compensation to be a problem affecting my bottom line. Furthermore, I think that companies that have compensation contracts that provide incentives for excessive risk taking (e.g., asymmetrical risk/rewards) also work against the interests of the shareholders. I've never understood why cutting 50 million dollars of expenses by firing 10000 workers is treated as great for the shareholders, but spending that 50 million dollars on bonuses for a select group of insiders (who may not be responsible for any increase in stock prices) isn't considered bad for the shareholders. And I completely fail to see the benefit to the shareholders for golden parachutes that payout even in the event of failure. Some companies and investment houses have some really asymmetrical compensation policies. Just my $0.02.
09-07-2012 05:58 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 05:52 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 05:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I doubt we know each other, though it is possible. I am a Beeland if that helps (his dad's side of the family). The Beeland family is HUGE. My mom and him were (my mom has passed) 3rd cousins. In an odd twist, I'm related to him on the Greenville, Ala (Beeland) side of the family. But the other side of my mom's family (that isn't related to Rogers by blood) is from the same place as he is..Demopolis. My brother and I still have a 500 acre farm there. We aren't particularly close. I've met him a few times, that's all.

I don't think we do know each other, but very interesting. I really didn't know the Beeland side of Jim's family, although I know the name becuase it's Jim's dad's middle name (and maybe Jim's too, I don't remember). I knew most of the Rogers family and I knew some of his mother's family from Oklahoma. One of Jim's younger brothers was my best friend in HS and both our families attended the same church. Jim and I still email each other periodically. He says that he hasn't talked to George Soros in years, and I believe that. And I was quite surprised when Ronnie Paul mentioned to his dad that I knew Jim, and Ron told me that he and Jim were close. I might or might not know the other side of your mom's family. For anonymity reasons, if we wanted to continue this any further, we should probably do it in PM.

Interesting connections. We'll do this via PM going forward. It doesn't surprise me that he hasn't spoken with Soros.
09-07-2012 06:03 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-07-2012 05:58 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I am big lefty who supports corporate profits and works in the energy industry. I also support taxation as well and understand that taxes are a necessary cost of living in a functioning society.

Actually, as a significant shareholder, I find excessive executive compensation to be a problem affecting my bottom line. Furthermore, I think that companies that have compensation contracts that provide incentives for excessive risk taking (e.g., asymmetrical risk/rewards) also work against the interests of the shareholders. I've never understood why cutting 50 million dollars of expenses by firing 10000 workers is treated as great for the shareholders, but spending that 50 million dollars on bonuses for a select group of insiders (who may not be responsible for any increase in stock prices) isn't considered bad for the shareholders. And I completely fail to see the benefit to the shareholders for golden parachutes that payout even in the event of failure. Some companies and investment houses have some really asymmetrical compensation policies. Just my $0.02.

Tom, I don't have a big problem with what you say there, or a lot of what you say in other posts. I've seen from the corporate governance consulting perspective the problems that result from asymmetrical compensation policies. The temptation to engage in short term good, long term bad management decisions is too great.

You're clearly to the left of me, but not unreasonably so. I do think that moderate lefties like yourself are being fed a line of BS by Obama and his crowd, whose motives I think are vastly different from yours. You're like a lot of Europeans--profits aren't a bad word because profits are what keeps the economy going. I don't think Obama or his crowd looks at it that way, I don't think they comprehend, but we've already argued about that so it's probably just best to agree to disagree. We'll find out, one way or the other, soon enough.
09-07-2012 06:04 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 06:04 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 05:58 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I am big lefty who supports corporate profits and works in the energy industry. I also support taxation as well and understand that taxes are a necessary cost of living in a functioning society.

Tom, I don't have a big problem with what you say there, or a lot of what you say in other posts. I've seen from the corporate governance consulting perspective the problems that result from asymmetrical compensation policies. The temptation to engage in short term good, long term bad management decisions is too great.

You're clearly to the left of me, but not unreasonably so. I do think that moderate lefties like yourself are being fed a line of BS by Obama and his crowd, whose motives I think are vastly different from yours. You're like a lot of Europeans--profits aren't a bad word because profits are what keeps the economy going. I don't think Obama or his crowd looks at it that way, I don't think they comprehend, but we've already argued about that so it's probably just best to agree to disagree. We'll find out, one way or the other, soon enough.

I lived and worked in Europe for years. They are definately to the left of me, as far as it comes to economic policy. I think the US is too far to the right. Canada has it right. At least prior to Harper. Appropriate rewards for doing the right things with decent levels of regulation and a social floor.

I always roll my eyes when people accuse Obama of being a socialist (not that you have - but others in here have). I've lived in socialist nations. I know what socialism is. And Obama's policies aren't socialism.

I don't think that Obama's financial team, such as Tim Geitner, as well as his informal advisors, who include Lloyd Blankfein and his prominent supporters, including Warren Buffett would be supporting the cray-cray. George Soros is a different matter. He, like the Koch brothers/Sheldon Adelson/Peter Thiel/De Vos on the right, appear to be motivated by non-financial considerations (e.g., policy advocacy and power).

But we can agree to disagree on that.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 06:32 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
09-07-2012 06:26 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I believe Tom to be modestly left, but believes himself to be further left because of a specific social view that the FAR right gives him the impression is shared by the WHOLE right. I spend a lot of time trying to broker this relationship, as I am very comfortable in mu church, but socially quite liberal, and find libertarianism to quench my "republican" idea of government. I think more people on BOTH sides of the middle could find a home here if they/we could stop arguing with the fringe. The fringe don't just want to get us to let their desires happen, they want us to agree with them on "why".
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 06:32 PM by Hambone10.)
09-07-2012 06:31 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 06:31 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I believe Tom to be modestly left, but believes himself to be further left because of a specific social view that the FAR right gives him the impression is shared by the WHOLE right. I spend a lot of time trying to broker this relationship, as I am very comfortable in mu church, but socially quite liberal, and find libertarianism to quench my "republican" idea of government. I think more people on BOTH sides of the middle could find a home here if they/we could stop arguing with the fringe. The fringe don't just want to get us to let their desires happen, they want us to agree with them on "why".

I appreciate your attempts.

But understand, I am pretty liberal on some economic matters - including the need for heavy government regulation in indsutries where price elasticity of demand is highly inelastic - such as healthcare and education. But I'm not doctrinaire. That's why I can't be more sympathetic to the Libertarian point of view. Libertarianism requires devotion to a fixed doctrine and a 'one-solution fits all' solution set to any problem. I don't believe that markets are always efficient, that there aren't serious constraints on individual markets, or that groups cannot game the system to reap unearned profits at the expense of the economy at large.

Oddly enough, my liberalism comes from a Hegelian view of human motivation. I believe that individual people will work in their own interests even to the detriment of society if left to their own devices. That, by the way, is the exact opposite of a Marxist view of human motivation, which assumes that people if left alone and provided with the basics will work in the interest of society. Any kind of government assistance/regulation should be offset with serious controls to try to avoid the inevitable attempts to game the system.
09-07-2012 06:43 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-07-2012 06:26 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I lived and worked in Europe for years. They are definitely to the left of me, as far as it comes to economic policy. I think the US is too far to the right. Canada has it right. At least prior to Harper. Appropriate rewards for doing the right things with decent levels of regulation and a social floor.

I've spent lots of time in Europe, too. I used to do international strategy consulting, and one thing I got involved in was plant siting decisions. The real eye opener for me came in 1984, looking at putting a plant in Wichita, KS, versus Normandy. Reaganomics was in full force here, France had a socialist government, and the French tax and regulatory treatments were far more favorable than we could get here. I think the Europeans have a lot of good ideas. I like the idea of a social floor. I'd favor a more comprehensive floor than we have now. But I favor a floor, not an income redistribution mechanism. Europe combines the social floor with tax systems that are generally flatter (less progressive) than ours, including a consumption tax. The middle classes and poor get more benefits, but they also pay more for them. And European regulations may be generally stricter, but the regulatory procedures are generally far more rational--so you spend more to comply, but you know exactly what's expected, and most businessmen will pay more to get certainty.

Quote:I always roll my eyes when people accuse Obama of being a socialist (not that you have - but others in here have). I've lived in socialist nations. I know what socialism is. And Obama's policies aren't socialism.

I have. I really, seriously do not see how anyone looking intelligently and objectively at the entirety of Obama's record can conclude otherwise.

I agree that's what's been enacted on Obama's watch is for the most part not socialism. But that's not because Obama is not a socialist, it's because there are not 218 members of the house and 60 senators who are socialists. So I believe that what Obama could get through congress is not nearly as representative of his true leanings as what he has said and done in unconstrained situations throughout his life. And that is a pretty extensive pattern of behaviour that has strongly tilted toward socialism at every turn. I think that Obama unfettered would have us somewhere well left of Sweden. Those who disagree with me have argued that, "Obama's not a socialist because if he were a socialist, Obamacare would include a public option." But let me criticize Obamacare and their response is, "Oh, but that's because Obama didn't get what he wanted. If he had gotten what he wanted, Obamacare would include a public option." If a public option is socialist, and Obama wanted a public option, then that suggests that Obama is a socialist. Not saying you have made those arguments, but others have. To make a convincing argument to me that Obama is not a socialist, you would need to provide examples of where Obama had unrestricted choice to do something more socialist than the choice he actually made. And as noted, Obamacare does not fit the criterion because Obama's choices with respect to Obamacare were not unrestricted.

Quote:I don't think that Obama's financial team, such as Tim Geitner, as well as his informal advisors, who include Lloyd Blankfein and his prominent supporters, including Warren Buffett would be supporting the cray-cray. George Soros is a different matter. He, like the Koch brothers/Sheldon Adelson/Peter Thiel/De Vos on the right, appear to be motivated by non-financial considerations (e.g., policy advocacy and power).

I think Geithner is a crook and an idiot. Buffett is in this for Buffet, and I have demonstrated before how he profits personally from the policies he advocates. So does Soros, and so, I'm sure, does Blankfein. The one thing I will grant is that I don't think the republicans have anyone better. I think the whole circle of ivory tower economists are taking us down the road to ruin.

I have a lot of center-left to left-leaning friends who are absolutely convinced that Obama is really a centrist. I think they--and you--are being gamed by a Chicago street hustler. He's going to tell you whatever lie he thinks he can get you to believe. I wish I could hold him in higher regard. But I simply cannot.

I guess we will just have to disagree.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 08:23 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-07-2012 08:23 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-07-2012 06:43 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I believe that individual people will work in their own interests even to the detriment of society if left to their own devices.

I agree, and I include in particular government regulators and bureaucrats. That's why I'm not a fan of increased regulation to solve problems. Most market distortions would not be possible without government regulations. I know, I made a living in the administrative law area--basically convincing regulators to keep distorting the market in favor of my client.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 09:47 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-07-2012 08:28 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
how is libertarianism a "one size fits all" solution? I see Liberalism as that, and government over-regulation to be the epitome of that. You can't make specific rules that will address every possibility, and by trying, you create loopholes/vagueries that can be abused.
09-07-2012 09:43 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(09-07-2012 05:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 03:32 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Do I know you?

I doubt we know each other, though it is possible. I am a Beeland if that helps (his dad's side of the family). The Beeland family is HUGE. My mom and him were (my mom has passed) 3rd cousins. In an odd twist, I'm related to him on the Greenville, Ala (Beeland) side of the family. But the other side of my mom's family (that isn't related to Rogers by blood) is from the same place as he is..Demopolis. My brother and I still have a 500 acre farm there. We aren't particularly close. I've met him a few times, that's all.
Well, we know Owl #'s would never in a million live in a place called Demopolis. 03-lmfao
09-08-2012 01:06 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2012 08:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 06:26 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I lived and worked in Europe for years. They are definitely to the left of me, as far as it comes to economic policy. I think the US is too far to the right. Canada has it right. At least prior to Harper. Appropriate rewards for doing the right things with decent levels of regulation and a social floor.

I've spent lots of time in Europe, too. I used to do international strategy consulting, and one thing I got involved in was plant siting decisions. The real eye opener for me came in 1984, looking at putting a plant in Wichita, KS, versus Normandy. Reaganomics was in full force here, France had a socialist government, and the French tax and regulatory treatments were far more favorable than we could get here. I think the Europeans have a lot of good ideas. I like the idea of a social floor. I'd favor a more comprehensive floor than we have now. But I favor a floor, not an income redistribution mechanism. Europe combines the social floor with tax systems that are generally flatter (less progressive) than ours, including a consumption tax. The middle classes and poor get more benefits, but they also pay more for them. And European regulations may be generally stricter, but the regulatory procedures are generally far more rational--so you spend more to comply, but you know exactly what's expected, and most businessmen will pay more to get certainty.

Quote:I always roll my eyes when people accuse Obama of being a socialist (not that you have - but others in here have). I've lived in socialist nations. I know what socialism is. And Obama's policies aren't socialism.

I have. I really, seriously do not see how anyone looking intelligently and objectively at the entirety of Obama's record can conclude otherwise.

I agree that's what's been enacted on Obama's watch is for the most part not socialism. But that's not because Obama is not a socialist, it's because there are not 218 members of the house and 60 senators who are socialists. So I believe that what Obama could get through congress is not nearly as representative of his true leanings as what he has said and done in unconstrained situations throughout his life. And that is a pretty extensive pattern of behaviour that has strongly tilted toward socialism at every turn. I think that Obama unfettered would have us somewhere well left of Sweden. Those who disagree with me have argued that, "Obama's not a socialist because if he were a socialist, Obamacare would include a public option." But let me criticize Obamacare and their response is, "Oh, but that's because Obama didn't get what he wanted. If he had gotten what he wanted, Obamacare would include a public option." If a public option is socialist, and Obama wanted a public option, then that suggests that Obama is a socialist. Not saying you have made those arguments, but others have. To make a convincing argument to me that Obama is not a socialist, you would need to provide examples of where Obama had unrestricted choice to do something more socialist than the choice he actually made. And as noted, Obamacare does not fit the criterion because Obama's choices with respect to Obamacare were not unrestricted.

Quote:I don't think that Obama's financial team, such as Tim Geitner, as well as his informal advisors, who include Lloyd Blankfein and his prominent supporters, including Warren Buffett would be supporting the cray-cray. George Soros is a different matter. He, like the Koch brothers/Sheldon Adelson/Peter Thiel/De Vos on the right, appear to be motivated by non-financial considerations (e.g., policy advocacy and power).

I think Geithner is a crook and an idiot. Buffett is in this for Buffet, and I have demonstrated before how he profits personally from the policies he advocates. So does Soros, and so, I'm sure, does Blankfein. The one thing I will grant is that I don't think the republicans have anyone better. I think the whole circle of ivory tower economists are taking us down the road to ruin.

I have a lot of center-left to left-leaning friends who are absolutely convinced that Obama is really a centrist. I think they--and you--are being gamed by a Chicago street hustler. He's going to tell you whatever lie he thinks he can get you to believe. I wish I could hold him in higher regard. But I simply cannot.

I guess we will just have to disagree.

Chavez is a socialist. So is Castro. So was Sweden. Obama isn't. I don't see how returning tax rates to Clinton/Reagan levels constitutes socialism in a contemporary sense unless one wishes to opine that our social floor (social security/medicare/medicaid/unemployment compensation) represents socialism in the contemporary sense. Any social floor requires some level of redistribution of wealth. Does that make every first world nation socialist - including the USA and most Republicans? The US is the only developed nation without a single payer healthcare system (or substantially so). Does that mean that every other developed nation is socialist?

The question on any redistributive scheme is this..does the scheme produce a 'gain' to society at large? Many on the right would argue that any redistributive scheme (medicare/medicaid/social security/food aid/etc.) provides a disincentive towards work and therefore should be removed. I disagree because these schemes provide for greater security (less crime/social disruption) which helps those at the top. I lived in Mexico (a surprisingly wealthy nation - roughly the same income level as Portugal and Saudi Arabia on a PC basis - with very low taxes in practice, huge income disparities, ineffective OSHA/environmental regulations, etc.). I see the security/corruption issues there as the proximate result of a government that does not work for a significant percentage of the population. Besides, redistributive policies can help the wealthy in concrete terms. European companies don't have to pay for healthcare at the same rates as US ones do for example.
09-08-2012 08:34 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-08-2012 08:34 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Chavez is a socialist. So is Castro. So was Sweden. Obama isn't. I don't see how returning tax rates to Clinton/Reagan levels constitutes socialism in a contemporary sense unless one wishes to opine that our social floor (social security/medicare/medicaid/unemployment compensation) represents socialism in the contemporary sense. Any social floor requires some level of redistribution of wealth. Does that make every first world nation socialist - including the USA and most Republicans? The US is the only developed nation without a single payer healthcare system (or substantially so). Does that mean that every other developed nation is socialist?
The question on any redistributive scheme is this..does the scheme produce a 'gain' to society at large? Many on the right would argue that any redistributive scheme (medicare/medicaid/social security/food aid/etc.) provides a disincentive towards work and therefore should be removed. I disagree because these schemes provide for greater security (less crime/social disruption) which helps those at the top. I lived in Mexico (a surprisingly wealthy nation - roughly the same income level as Portugal and Saudi Arabia on a PC basis - with very low taxes in practice, huge income disparities, ineffective OSHA/environmental regulations, etc.). I see the security/corruption issues there as the proximate result of a government that does not work for a significant percentage of the population. Besides, redistributive policies can help the wealthy in concrete terms. European companies don't have to pay for healthcare at the same rates as US ones do for example.

More reasonable discussion than I usually get on the issue. Several points in response:

1. There's a difference between where Obama wants to take us and where he has actually taken us, because his actions are constrained by congress, among other things. For example, Obama clearly wanted a public option as part of Obamacare, but did not have the votes to get that through congress. Should we determine who he is by what he wanted or by what he was forced to accept? And since a common argument I get is, "If Obama were a socialist, he would have put the public option in Obamacare," and that argument would seem to imply that public option = socialist, then is it reasonable to infer that Obama wanted a public option = Obama is a socialist, at least on that issue? What I don't see is any instance, at any point in his life, when Obama had available to him a more socialistic choice than the one he took, and went instead for a less socialistic choice. If you see one, I'd like to know what it is. And Obamacare isn't.

2. Obama is clearly to the left of Sweden on several issues, including social security reform and medical malpractice, which just happen to be two pretty big ones. If Sweden is the gold standard for socialism, what do we make of that? I actually think Obama's ideal US would be somewhere left of Sweden. That's certainly what he describes in his books and speeches.

3. I've said that I think our social floor needs to be more comprehensive than it is. I would favor something like Milton Friedman's negative income tax or the Boortz-Linder prebate/prefund to put a floor on income, coupled with French health care, and turn the current mish-mash of alphabet soup programs over to the states to run as they see fit, and continue or not. French health care would take a Medicaid load off the states and give them the ability to take this on. One big goal would be to eliminate the "welfare trap"/"poverty trap" consequences of the current system, under which from about $15,000 to $55,000 of annual income, a family of four loses a dollar to higher taxes/lower benefits for every dollar they bring in--a 100% effective tax rate, or an incredible disincentive to work. Europe's safety nets are just that--safety nets--whereas ours are more a part of an immense and costly wealth redistribution scheme--with a disproportionately large share of the redistribution going to overpaid and unaccountable federal bureaucrats. Europe's tax structures are substantially flatter (less "progressive") than ours, even without considering that most European countries rely heavily on regressive consumption taxes. I would gladly go for a more comprehensive safety net funded by flatter taxes.

4. The point about European companies not having to pay health care costs is a significant one. But Obamacare doesn't do anything to help that. It may shift the burden on many companies from paying for health care directly to paying for it indirectly by paying taxes to fund health care, but it's still the same problem. The cost of health care probably needs to shift to consumption taxes, like Europe.

5. The US is not the only developed nation without single-payer health care. Actually, Canada is the only developed nation WITH true single-payer health care, and the Canadian system fares very poorly in international comparisons. I don't think the left really means single-payer when they say single-payer, at least I hope not because single-payer is a really bad approach. Single-provider (like UK) is what I think they really mean,but that's a pretty dreadful approach, too. Significantly, both Canada and UK have been moving away from their basic approaches in recent years--under governments from both wings--because they simply are not working. The best systems are the universal insurance systems like France or Holland, but they are nothing like single-payer.

6. The big fallacy with the idea of returning to the Clinton-era tax rates is the the world has changed in ways so that the Clinton-era rates could reasonably be expected to have vastly different impacts today. When Clinton raised personal tax rates, we were still below the average for developed countries, per OECD. Today, even without raising them, we are ABOVE the OECD average, and Obama's proposed changes woulkd take us pretty close to the top. It's even more dramatic for corporations. When Clinton got to the white house, our top corporate rate was 12% lower than the OECD average. When he left it was about even with the OECD average, and today its 15% higher than the OECD average, and we are highest in the world. A 3-4% rate hike is probably not enough to have a dramatic effect, although what effect it does have will most certainly be negative. But again, Obama has made it pretty clear that he wants to go further, but this is a far as he can go when bound by political reality. I do think it is most instructive that Bowles-Simpson and Domenici-Rivlin both went 180 degrees out from Obama on this issue.

I think Obama wants to take us toward socialism, probably somewhere left of Sweden is his target. The he hasn't actually done so yet--and I acknowledge that he hasn't done so yet--is something that I would attribute to the blue dogs not being socialists, rather than to Obama not being a socialist.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 09:41 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-08-2012 09:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.