Dodd: Revenue distribution to be decided
09-04-2012 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
RE: Dodd: Revenue distribution to be decided
Another article with absolutely no new information. It's been over two months and nothing has been decided. Nothing will be decided either until probably February. They have time, so they're going to take it.
09-04-2012 02:52 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-04-2012 02:39 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  this should be
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...tty-gritty

Looking at the membership of the revenue commitee does not give me any confidence that the Big East will be treated very well. I could easily see the MAC, ACC, and MW push hard for the Big East to be treated just like the current non-AQs. Hopefully Arescos relationships with Delaney and others will help.
09-04-2012 03:20 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I can't see why any of the "Contract Conferences" would be willing to give up their contract bowl revenue. Delany and Slive are going to be 100% on the same page on that one, and when they're 100% on the same page, what they say becomes the rule. Now, non-contract bowls might feature more equitable revenue distribution (although "equitable" might mean more like the old BCS revenue distribution system).
09-04-2012 03:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Agreed, I don't see a scenario in which a contract conference agrees to take its big stack of money from the Rose/Champs/Orange Bowl and divide it with others. Won't happen.

So the question is how to divide money from the "Final Four" and the "access bowl". IMO almost all of that money should be divided based on who gets into those games and not on "past performance". If they are dividing up proceeds from the 2014-2015 games, it ought to be based on who played in the games in 2014-2015, not on some ranking of teams or conferences from five or ten years ago.
09-04-2012 03:51 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I could see them doing a winner take all (or most of it) with the final 4, not so much the access bowls.
09-04-2012 04:12 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(09-04-2012 03:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Looking at the membership of the revenue commitee does not give me any confidence that the Big East will be treated very well. I could easily see the MAC, ACC, and MW push hard for the Big East to be treated just like the current non-AQs. Hopefully Arescos relationships with Delaney and others will help.

Well the Big East didn't exactly make friends with the other "non-contract" conferences, so they should certainly expect them to work against the Big East on this. Doubtful the contract conferences are going to sacrifice any of their cut for the Big East. Basically the Big East may be able to get a really good TV deal coming up, but they have a lot of things working against them in terms of getting a big boy share of this revenue.
09-04-2012 05:07 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(09-04-2012 05:07 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 03:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Well the Big East didn't exactly make friends with the other "non-contract" conferences, so they should certainly expect them to work against the Big East on this. Doubtful the contract conferences are going to sacrifice any of their cut for the Big East. Basically the Big East may be able to get a really good TV deal coming up, but they have a lot of things working against them in terms of getting a big boy share of this revenue.

lol. What were they supposed to do? Invite the other conferences over for a play date? The system was what the system was. As you can see, all the hollering about getting rid of AQ status meant nothing.

I suspect every league outside of the power conferences will be signficanty worse off after the new system goes into affect. The only thing the non-AQ's got for thier trouble is adding one more conference to the list of non-AQ conferences scrambling for a single BCS slot. In fact, they even lost the guarantee that there will even be a single BCS slot reserved for them.

The reality is all these conferences are doing what they believe is in thier best interests. Im not suggesting that the non-AQ's are doing anything wrong (though I do believe they have maybe let thier dislike of the Big East blind them to the extreme lack of access they will receive in this new plan). I was simply pointing out that the structure of the revenue committee probably couldnt be worse for the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 06:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-04-2012 05:56 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I wouldn't say getting rid of AQ meant nothing. The playoff even if a short term negative will grow because all playoffs grow. I don't like the contract bowls, but they are a necessary evil to get the playoff. I think it will eventually make it to 8, and maybe that's it but if it gets to 8 with a selection committee I'm happy. It's never going to be fair for ECU, and nothing is ever going to be given to us.
09-04-2012 06:25 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(09-04-2012 06:25 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I wouldn't say getting rid of AQ meant nothing. The playoff even if a short term negative will grow because all playoffs grow. I don't like the contract bowls, but they are a necessary evil to get the playoff. I think it will eventually make it to 8, and maybe that's it but if it gets to 8 with a selection committee I'm happy. It's never going to be fair for ECU, and nothing is ever going to be given to us.

If the non-contract conferences can hang on long enough for the playoffs to expand to 8----I think the non-contract conferences will have a very reasonable shot at having a representive in the mix on a yearly basis. Unfortunately, thats a minimum of 13 years away. Thats way to slow for me---but there isnt alot we can really do.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 06:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-04-2012 06:43 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(09-04-2012 06:25 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  It's never going to be fair for ECU, and nothing is ever going to be given to us.

[Image: daniel-crybaby.jpg]
09-04-2012 06:48 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(09-04-2012 06:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 06:25 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I wouldn't say getting rid of AQ meant nothing. The playoff even if a short term negative will grow because all playoffs grow. I don't like the contract bowls, but they are a necessary evil to get the playoff. I think it will eventually make it to 8, and maybe that's it but if it gets to 8 with a selection committee I'm happy. It's never going to be fair for ECU, and nothing is ever going to be given to us.

If the non-contract conferences can hang on long enough for the playoffs to expand to 8----I think the non-contract conferences will have a very reasonable shot at having a representive in the mix on a yearly basis. Unfortunately, thats a minimum of 13 years away. Thats way to slow for me---but there isnt alot we can really do.

Yeah it's for sure a decent amount of time away till we get to 8, but it will happen. Of course I would rather it happen overnight, but that's just not in the cards. The 4 team with a selection committee is a start. It will make a lot of money and then coaches and schools will want it to grow and eventually it will. It's never going to get to that talk of every conference champion gets a bid and then at large fills out the rest of the spots, but that's not what I want anyway. I'd be perfectly happy with the top 8 teams in the country make it, no matter what league they play for.
09-04-2012 07:05 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(09-04-2012 06:48 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 06:25 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  It's never going to be fair for ECU, and nothing is ever going to be given to us.

[Image: daniel-crybaby.jpg]

Not really sure the crying for that statement. It's never going to be fair for USM, ECU, Marshall, or whatever other non-AQ school you want to name. It is what it is. The deck is always going to be stacked against these schools. That's not crying that's just the truth.
09-04-2012 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.