Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Players of the Week
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Sun Belt Players of the Week
Week One Sun Belt Conference Football Players of the Week – As selected by the Sun Belt media panel

Offensive Player of the Week

Shawn Southward (Troy, Sr., Running Back)
The 2009 Sun Belt Freshman of the Year Shawn Southward put on an impressive display in Troy’s season opener as he rushed for 204 yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries in Troy’s 39-29 victory over UAB. Southward averaged 7.3 yards per carry and his rushing total was the sixth most in a game in Troy history. His three rushing touchdowns are one shy of the school record and moved him into fourth place on the Troy career rushing touchdown record. Southward’s longest run of the afternoon was a 55-yard burst. He became the first Trojan since 2010 to rush for over 100 yards and the first since 2009 to break the 2009 plateau. Southward’s rushing total on Saturday was equal to 37 percent of his total from all of 2011. Southward's rushing total was the fifth most in the NCAA over the weekend.

Defensive Player of the Week

De’Von Terry (Troy, Sr., Linebacker)
Playing in his first football game since 2007, walk-on senior linebacker De’Von Terry had an interception, recovered a fumble and had five tackles in Troy’s 39-29 victory at UAB on Saturday. Terry’s first big play came as UAB was about to score its first points of the game, but the linebacker pounced on a fumble at the Troy 2-yard line. With Troy leading 25-23 in the fourth quarter, Terry intercepted UAB quarterback Jonathan Perry at the Troy 48-yard line; two plays later Troy found the end zone and put the game out of reach.

Special Teams Player of the Week

Brett Baer (Louisiana-Lafayette, Sr., K/P)
Baer picked right up from where he left off, connecting on a career-high 4 field goals (52, 40, 39 & 32 yards) and converting all four extra points as part of a record-setting day. Baer set the school record for consecutive field goals made with 15 (old record 14 by Mike Shafer in 1994) and tied the school mark for points in a game by a kicker with 16 (Rafael Septien in 1974 & Mike Lemoine in 1989). Baer’s 52-yard field goal to open the scoring was the longest of his career and tied for the seventh longest in school history. In addition, Baer punted three times for 125 yards (41.7) with a pair of punts downed inside the 20 and none of the three punts returned.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/Sports/Mens...notes.aspx

Thoughts?
09-03-2012 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
RE: Sun Belt Players of the Week
(09-03-2012 02:44 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Week One Sun Belt Conference Football Players of the Week – As selected by the Sun Belt media panel

The 2009 Sun Belt Freshman of the Year Shawn Southward put on an impressive display in Troy’s season opener as he rushed for 204 yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries in Troy’s 39-29 victory over UAB. Southward averaged 7.3 yards per carry and his rushing total was the sixth most in a game in Troy history. His three rushing touchdowns are one shy of the school record and moved him into fourth place on the Troy career rushing touchdown record. Southward’s longest run of the afternoon was a 55-yard burst. He became the first Trojan since 2010 to rush for over 100 yards and the first since 2009 to break the 2009 plateau. Southward’s rushing total on Saturday was equal to 37 percent of his total from all of 2011. Southward's rushing total was the fifth most in the NCAA over the weekend.

Playing in his first football game since 2007, walk-on senior linebacker De’Von Terry had an interception, recovered a fumble and had five tackles in Troy’s 39-29 victory at UAB on Saturday. Terry’s first big play came as UAB was about to score its first points of the game, but the linebacker pounced on a fumble at the Troy 2-yard line. With Troy leading 25-23 in the fourth quarter, Terry intercepted UAB quarterback Jonathan Perry at the Troy 48-yard line; two plays later Troy found the end zone and put the game out of reach.

Baer picked right up from where he left off, connecting on a career-high 4 field goals (52, 40, 39 & 32 yards) and converting all four extra points as part of a record-setting day. Baer set the school record for consecutive field goals made with 15 (old record 14 by Mike Shafer in 1994) and tied the school mark for points in a game by a kicker with 16 (Rafael Septien in 1974 & Mike Lemoine in 1989). Baer’s 52-yard field goal to open the scoring was the longest of his career and tied for the seventh longest in school history. In addition, Baer punted three times for 125 yards (41.7) with a pair of punts downed inside the 20 and none of the three punts returned.

Thoughts?

Badass.
09-03-2012 04:18 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(09-03-2012 02:44 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Week One Sun Belt Conference Football Players of the Week – As selected by the Sun Belt media panel

Thoughts?

[Image: Happy_gif.gif]
09-03-2012 05:47 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
No arguments here. I could say that Rodney Gillis or Qyen Griffen should be DPOW, but as UAB is better than Lamar, I can live with a Troy guy getting it.
09-03-2012 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Chancellor had 4 receptions for 114 yards and 2 touchdowns. That's 28.5 yards per catch against one of the top 5 defenses in the country. I thought he had a chance to get Offensive Player of the Week.
09-03-2012 06:58 PM
tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
(09-03-2012 06:58 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Chancellor had 4 receptions for 114 yards and 2 touchdowns. That's 28.5 yards per catch against one of the top 5 defenses in the country. I thought he had a chance to get Offensive Player of the Week.

On an average week that would probably get it but 204 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns is crazy good.
09-03-2012 07:31 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

Thoughts?

We're baaaaaaack! 05-mafia
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 07:36 PM by Burn the Horse.)
09-03-2012 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-03-2012 07:36 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  

Thoughts?

[Image: n4ff55cbc465e7.gif]
09-03-2012 07:41 PM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
If it hadn't been for his turnover (during a beautiful return) and the fact we lost, I think TJ Glover had a great chance at the ST award.

Edit: got the numbers for FBS rankings. I know it's only one game but still good.
Kickoff returns - glover ranks 4th
Punt returns - glover ranks 12th

Nice job Trojans.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 08:00 PM by Dedsquirrl.)
09-03-2012 07:41 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
undoubtedly impressive with the sweep of offense and defense.

question for the gumps. how many games will uab win this fall? they ballin' this year?
09-03-2012 11:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyMan88 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy
(09-03-2012 11:17 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  undoubtedly impressive with the sweep of offense and defense.

question for the gumps. how many games will uab win this fall? they ballin' this year?

They were better then last year in my opinion...how much...i couldn't tell ya. Probably not enough to break even but i guess we will see. Fact is they always play Troy hard and close, so being up 17-0 towards the end of the half and winning by 10 says alot to me, but i guess we will find out.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 02:27 AM by TroyMan88.)
09-04-2012 02:25 AM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-03-2012 07:36 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Slow down boys...never a good thing to let you mouth overload your arse.... Big week coming up.

Z
09-04-2012 07:03 AM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
I say give the Defensive Player of the week to the North Texas cornerback who laid out LSU's starting criminal quarterback.
09-04-2012 08:20 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-03-2012 11:17 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  undoubtedly impressive with the sweep of offense and defense.

I think they will win 5 MAYBE 6 if they are lucky. They are for sure improved. But I think they will get 5 wins on the season

Troy...Loss
South Carolina...Loss
Ohio State...Loss
Tulsa...Possible Win (They are at home)
SE Louisiana... Win
Houston...Possible, They just lost to Texas Tech
East Carolina...Loss (They will be near top CUSA)
Tulane....Win
Southern Miss...Win(have owned them 3 years in a row)
Marshall...Win (marshall will suck this year at they are at UAB)
Memphis...Win (Memphis really sucks)
UCF....Loss

UAB always pulls a suprise win every year. SO either Tulsa, USM or Marshall will lose to UAB
09-04-2012 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.