Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defensive Line must be fixed
Bookmark and Share
luckeyone1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: EMU
Defensive Line must be fixed
If i were coach english i would convert Orlando Mccord to DT. where is Devin Henderson? Did not hear his name.
09-01-2012 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
RE: Defensive Line must be fixed
I must wait until the next 2-3 games are played before I judge the DL...

The Head Coach said that he was very pleased with his DL and they will be better... He said this with his own mouth.. From what I have seen with the coach he is pretty good with his assessments of positions/players..

What want them to do is put the right player personnel on the field to get the job done.. The talent is there.

The younger class showed me some good things..

Our juniors and seniors need to step up or be replaced..

We are struck with our QB so I will not comment on him.
09-01-2012 06:49 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2012 06:49 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  I must wait until the next 2-3 games are played before I judge the DL...

The Head Coach said that he was very pleased with his DL and they will be better... He said this with his own mouth.. From what I have seen with the coach he is pretty good with his assessments of positions/players..

What want them to do is put the right player personnel on the field to get the job done.. The talent is there.

The younger class showed me some good things..

Our juniors and seniors need to step up or be replaced..

We are struck with our QB so I will not comment on him.
"We are stuck with our QB." Really?! He accounted for every score EMU had--3 TD passes and 1 TD run. He would have had a 4th TD pass if Tyreese Russell could catch a football. He also would have had a much higher completion percentage if certain players weren't dropping passes all over the place.

In other words, Alex Gillett was one of the few bright spots for EMU and I am tired of him not getting respect. If everyone would have played like Gillett, Eastern would have won. Did you watch the game? I am baffled by your comment.
09-01-2012 09:03 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Agreed, Bob. Gillett (and the O-line, to an extent) was the bright spot in that game. To go along with the stats you provided, he only made a couple questionable throws (some of which were catchable), didn't turn the ball over, and didn't take a sack. I see no reason to complain about him, especially when so many other things went wrong.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:14 PM by EagleSam.)
09-01-2012 09:13 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(09-01-2012 09:13 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Agreed, Bob. Gillett (and the O-line, to an extent) was the bright spot in that game. To go along with the stats you provided, he only made a couple questionable throws (some of which were catchable), didn't turn the ball over, and didn't take a sack. I see no reason to complain about him, especially when so many other things went wrong.
I know. Let's review, 3 TD passes, 1 rushing TD, 0 turnovers, 0 sacks, 83 yards rushing (tops on team) 7.4 yards per carry. He basically WAS the EMU offense, but I guess for some people that's not enough. I'm just glad we're "stuck" with him. Good Lord!
09-01-2012 09:40 PM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

Comparing our qb play to the rest of the team for the Ball State is like Being the tallest midget in a midget basketball game.. It's nice but doesn't mean anything compared to the larger picture..
09-01-2012 09:48 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I am not knocking Gillett, it is what it is.. He is the best we have and we must accept him with his strength and weakness.. You have to admit he isn't one of the best passer in college or the Mac.. His throws has too much air under them. He almost got B. Hill killed on a pass.. The throw to Russell should had been caught but it wasn't the best throw..
09-01-2012 09:57 PM
Ninkonpoopersnap Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: EMichigan
Pudge I usually agree with 95% of what you say but c'mon bro. Gillett, the OLINE, and the RB's were the only ones who played well enough to win in that game. I remember them pressuring AG once in an empty backfield meaning the 5 oline had to block 6 man blitz so it was probably to be expected, still 0 sacks and we threw what 35 times with all the drops he should have had 300 yds passing. Both passes to Russell were sure TD's the one at the end of the 1st half with a 13-10 lead and he doesnt run full speed and Gillett barely over throws him, could look like a bad throw but he definately changed speeds when he saw the ball was thrown to him. (Score then 20-10) they may or may not then drive down and kick a fg. Then to open the second half and the ball hits him in the shoulder which would have been a sure TD or at least 1st and goal. the score in reality COULD, thats a BIG COULD, have been 27-10 us. Doesn't sound like Gillett is the issue. If lets say this is a typical MAC defense where it has its days giving up 500+ yds every few games then the wr/tes must come up with catches to keep drives alive so we can be in and win some of those high scoring MAC affairs. That was the issue in the first game THE FIRST GAME offensively, it should and most likely will get corrected.
Now defensively, we have our work cut out for us. The DL and LB's were atrocious, they couldn't get us off the field and get our O back on it. I saw the stat where we lost the time of possession like 36 min to 24 min and something like 91 offensive plays for them and 67 plays for us thats a ton of lost football. to score 26 pts in 67 plays isn't bad at all. and lets face it the kicker barely gets the ball over the linemans heads and misses, we are forced to go for 2 and miss that so it should have been 28 pts.
09-02-2012 07:20 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Can't criticize the offense in the BSU game. Poor defensive play made EMU change their game plan on offense.
09-02-2012 07:48 AM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

(09-02-2012 07:20 AM)Ninkonpoopersnap Wrote:  Pudge I usually agree with 95% of what you say but c'mon bro. Gillett, the OLINE, and the RB's were the only ones who played well enough to win in that game. I remember them pressuring AG once in an empty backfield meaning the 5 oline had to block 6 man blitz so it was probably to be expected, still 0 sacks and we threw what 35 times with all the drops he should have had 300 yds passing. Both passes to Russell were sure TD's the one at the end of the 1st half with a 13-10 lead and he doesnt run full speed and Gillett barely over throws him, could look like a bad throw but he definately changed speeds when he saw the ball was thrown to him. (Score then 20-10) they may or may not then drive down and kick a fg. Then to open the second half and the ball hits him in the shoulder which would have been a sure TD or at least 1st and goal. the score in reality COULD, thats a BIG COULD, have been 27-10 us. Doesn't sound like Gillett is the issue. If lets say this is a typical MAC defense where it has its days giving up 500+ yds every few games then the wr/tes must come up with catches to keep drives alive so we can be in and win some of those high scoring MAC affairs. That was the issue in the first game THE FIRST GAME offensively, it should and most likely will get corrected.
Now defensively, we have our work cut out for us. The DL and LB's were atrocious, they couldn't get us off the field and get our O back on it. I saw the stat where we lost the time of possession like 36 min to 24 min and something like 91 offensive plays for them and 67 plays for us thats a ton of lost football. to score 26 pts in 67 plays isn't bad at all. and lets face it the kicker barely gets the ball over the linemans heads and misses, we are forced to go for 2 and miss that so it should have been 28 pts.

I think I am coming across wrong in what I am trying to say...

I have high expectations about this team as my comments and predictions has stated.. I am not ripping Gillett for not being one of the top QB in the Mac.. He playing with the abilites that he was blessed with.. Lets face it, he will not be the deal breaking in us getting to a bowl game.. It will be the defense will (DL, LB, DB) then the OL, RB, and ST.. Gillett is a small part to the overall puzzle. He is a decent QB for the MAc...

I agree with everything you listed.. The receivers let him down this game.. I still believe the OL can do a better job of blocking.. They have been together for years now.. The RB's did a good job but I wanted to see Brummfield on the field more and what happened to T. Allen? The WR question should be answered with Creel, Jones and Dawkins going forward.. The DL got their azz kicked as I said before in other threads.. The highlight was Omar M. and Pipkins.. These would be my starters going forward (Where was Henderson)? DB's we need to walk them up to put 8 in a box.. After we did this in the 2nd half we had more success... Guys lookout for IL state.. They have lots of transfers...

I was checking out the stats and saw that the top 5 tackles were by the db's and lb's (DL didnt do their jobs).

I support our QB?
09-02-2012 10:46 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

Hey all,

I just thoguht about something shouldnt we be ripping or blaming Coach "S" for the defense being so bad.. He is the DC. I have not seen him take blames similar to what we are doing with our OC....

Just a thought while sitting here...
09-02-2012 11:16 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-02-2012 07:20 AM)Ninkonpoopersnap Wrote:  Pudge I usually agree with 95% of what you say but c'mon bro. Gillett, the OLINE, and the RB's were the only ones who played well enough to win in that game. I remember them pressuring AG once in an empty backfield meaning the 5 oline had to block 6 man blitz so it was probably to be expected, still 0 sacks and we threw what 35 times with all the drops he should have had 300 yds passing. Both passes to Russell were sure TD's the one at the end of the 1st half with a 13-10 lead and he doesnt run full speed and Gillett barely over throws him, could look like a bad throw but he definately changed speeds when he saw the ball was thrown to him. (Score then 20-10) they may or may not then drive down and kick a fg. Then to open the second half and the ball hits him in the shoulder which would have been a sure TD or at least 1st and goal. the score in reality COULD, thats a BIG COULD, have been 27-10 us. Doesn't sound like Gillett is the issue. If lets say this is a typical MAC defense where it has its days giving up 500+ yds every few games then the wr/tes must come up with catches to keep drives alive so we can be in and win some of those high scoring MAC affairs. That was the issue in the first game THE FIRST GAME offensively, it should and most likely will get corrected.

This is what, with amplification, I was trying to say esp. about Russell who could have been an absolute game maker in a + way.

I'm going to re-watch the 2nd half later today.

From the 1st half, the ball Russell did not catch was just off his finger tips. I might re-watch to see if he did not go full speed, etc. but the ball was a tad long for him.

But boy do I remember the ball which hit him right in his shoulder. Ouch!!
09-02-2012 01:05 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
The offense is a possession offense which does it role well as it did in Ball State and the possession offense works well with a defensive that hold its own. Once we begin to fall behind our offense becomes ineffective because its isn't a quick strike catch up offense. I'm thinking the defense stats will be closer to pre 2011 levels this year.
09-02-2012 04:58 PM
Advertisement

chi-ill Offline
Water Engineer

Wow! Was yall watching the same game that I was? Real talk Gillett my have had the most rushing yards but that doesn't mean that he played a good game, not at all. Gillett was predetermining who he was going to throw the ball to on every, and I mean every play. It was very easy to know which receiver he was targeting, rather they were open or blanketed. I'm not sure if that is something that the OC wants him to do or not but he could at least have one check off to throw to, or he could've looked the coverage off for a second or two before throwing. This is college football, I've seen youth QB do a better job.
09-04-2012 01:01 PM
AlexAlvarado Offline
Water Engineer

I didn't read all of the replies because, well, i only read for 3 seconds and call it quits.

When it comes down to brass tax, Gillett did enough to win. Could he have had better numbers, sure. (yeah well if Russell and Scott didn't put so much butter on their popcorn before the game!) well, they're human and **** happens. 26 points is enough to win games for this team. EMU averaged 25.3 points per game last season & our wins last year, we scored: 41, 14, 31, 35, 14, 30 (Avg: 27.5 ppg in Wins). 26, 27.5, close enough...maybe?

Gillett can't play D-Line and Verlander can't play second base.
09-06-2012 02:41 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I think we should close out this thread and start planning for comments on this week game..

Maybe I was too hard on Gillett and need to back down..

I was thinking how will we feel if we miss the championship game by one game...
09-06-2012 04:27 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(09-06-2012 04:27 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  I was thinking how will we feel if we miss the championship game by one game...

personally, I'd be thrilled, because that would mean we had a very good season. Baby steps.
09-06-2012 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.