Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

My thoughts on EMU Football and BSU game
Bookmark and Share
luckeyone1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: EMU
My thoughts on EMU Football and BSU game
Ok, i watched the game last night and wanted to wait one day to make my post so that my emotions would not get the best of me. So here it goes as follows:
1) I am tired of hearing that EMU is the toughest Div 1 football job. For the record BSU has no indoor football facility but WOW EMU has one. The facts are Dr. Martin and Dr Gragg are committed to building competitive football and will invest in it accordingly. We might be in the shadow of UofM but this would not impact us if we would put a good product on the field. We do not typically compete against uofm in recruiting and we are in a great location to land very good Div 11 talent. We simply need to win consistently and EMU could be a great mid major job. EMU just needs to get the right guy as HC and everything else will take care of itself. Is RE the guy? This season will tell us the answer.
Now lets break down the game.
2) It was very obvious that the current players do not feel comfortable with passing game. Gillet has happy feet and looks very uncomfortable trying to pass from the pocket. He would rather pass on the run which is dangerous and wont have consistent results.in addition, the dropped passes are unforgiveable at this stage of careers for some players. I normally would not call out young men but since chad bush did, i will comment as well. Donald Scott was referred by Bush as Mr Dropsies ....he said the dropsies are carrying over for him from last season. Then there is Tyrece Russell????? I can not believe the missed touchdown opportunity that hit his shoulder pad, his untimely false start, another dropped pass, etc. If I were coach, he would be a blocking tight end period. RE your job is on the line. If i were you, i would play the freshmen receivers and i would not throw another pass to either Russell or Scott. I know everyone disses Karcher, but i think the offense will get much better and the freshmen receivers will get it going along with a balanced running game.
3) now forthe defense. This game reminded me of the Toledo game last year. This coaching staff does not understand how to stop ghe spread. If iwere playing against EMU, i would bring in the no huddle and spread offense into the gameplan. The defense was very puzzling to me, becaue Snow did an outstanding job as DC last year ( except against spread).what i am mostly concerned with was the play of our DT. I mean it looked like the varsity against the middle school. Maugmer and Linser got eaten alive. Plus there were no blitzes or adjustments to get Wenning off his game. This staff certainly have not learned how to defend the spread. I have heard RE brag that he is a great recruiter but i am not seeing him develop the defensive line with young recruits who become impact players. Bottom line this looked like a defense that i feel do not have the personnel to get better. I believe we might need to make a drastic change on Dt position. Perhaps we move Orlando McCord from OG to DT because we have enough offensive linemen.
4) i have been very impressed with Pete Lembo. He brought a team here and beat RE in his 1stgame season and crushed us in his 2ndgame season. I predict as long as Lembo is at BSU, RE will never beat him. I look for BSU to go to a bowl game and Lembo to possibly move on.
5) I like RE but he has to stop bragging what a great recruiter he is. We got our butt kicked and our eyes opened by a good team. I did not think we were terrible when we lost to Toledo last year and i do not think we are as bad as BSU made us llok. However, it waz clear to me that BSU had more talent, they were better prepared, and they were hungry. Time for RE to forget about his "MAC coach of the year award" and concentrate on winning football games. He is fighting fir his job now because maybe the professional prognosticators were right in picking us second to last in our division. Certainly a very very disappointing way to start the season....
08-31-2012 03:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: My thoughts on EMU Football and BSU game
I was thinking the same thing on the defense.

I was wondering when we'd start blitzing as the DL wasn't getting the job done. I was watching the BSU QB have all night to throw.
08-31-2012 04:34 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear luckeyone1,
The defense of Eastern certainly might need some adjustments, but to start making offensive linemen into defensive linemen, is too late, now that the season has begun. That's something you might try in spring ball. As far as Coach Lembo being unbeatable by Eastern, I don't by it. If, you remember last year's game, they beat us by making a 45 yard field goal with essentially no time left. If, they miss it, we win. So, yes they beat us, but two games do not make a defining moment for all future games with Ball State.
Maybe I missed something about Coach English, but I don't remember him bragging on himself as a great recruiter, and when does having an indoor practice facility make your team magically better then those that don't? Do you really think it was going to be easy, to turn around a division one program that for the previous twenty-five years was a losing proposition? Look, we have all agreed with most of what you and other posters have said, but this was only one game. If, things continue to go down hill, then yes, we will have to examine the program, but now is not the time to panic.
08-31-2012 04:56 PM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

McCord was recruited as a DT.
08-31-2012 05:29 PM
TheClyde Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU Eagles!!!
Yeah.....I was waiting for some pressure to come in as well. I wish we didn't have to start the season in conference. I think it would have been a better result had it been the second or third game of the season. I still think we have a lot to look forward to. Onward to Illinois State!

swoop SWOOP!
08-31-2012 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.