Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Purely Hypothetical Scenario:
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Purely Hypothetical Scenario:
With all this oddly good news coming from everywhere, and the image of the Big East on the up and up, it got me thinking about the end game scenario. So I ask of the optimists and especiallythe pessimists, what would be your impression of the future, from an individual and fanbase perspective, if the following were to come to fruition (some having done so already):
  • Brigham Young University gets on board, securing an additional national brand power, and rounding out the conference at #14
  • The Big East lands a tv deal more lucrative than the ACC (not going to talk numbers, just creating baseline) from a supporting and vocal media corp
  • Divisions are struck to maximize recruiting, viewership, and rivalries, and agreed upon by all members
  • Contract "BCS" bowl rights are declared for the postseason
  • Supporting bowl rights are contracted, with interesting opponents

What do you think would be the stability factor? Excitement (in terms of season ticket sales, ticket demand causing expansion to existing stadiums and arenas)? Political (in terms of college football) clout? Where do you see the Big East in 10 years if we can back up our administration with on-field performance?

To me, it seems this conference is lacking in nothing but traditional power. We have our 100 year old programs, we have our young programs, we have world beaters, we have deep pockets, we have national coverage, and we have academic support. What can't we achieve?
08-29-2012 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
RE: Purely Hypothetical Scenario:
I'm not sure everything is just roses yet. Ive only seen optimism regarding the commissioner hire and the contract is still subjective at this point.
08-29-2012 05:59 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-29-2012 05:59 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  I'm not sure everything is just roses yet. Ive only seen optimism regarding the commissioner hire and the contract is still subjective at this point.
But he is asking a HYPOTHETICAL question, thus you can suspend your prediction of reality. He's asking, WHAT IF those things happened, how would you feel about the Big East?
08-29-2012 06:24 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(08-29-2012 05:45 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  With all this oddly good news coming from everywhere, and the image of the Big East on the up and up, it got me thinking about the end game scenario. So I ask of the optimists and especiallythe pessimists, what would be your impression of the future, from an individual and fanbase perspective, if the following were to come to fruition (some having done so already):
  • Brigham Young University gets on board, securing an additional national brand power, and rounding out the conference at #14
  • The Big East lands a tv deal more lucrative than the ACC (not going to talk numbers, just creating baseline) from a supporting and vocal media corp
  • Divisions are struck to maximize recruiting, viewership, and rivalries, and agreed upon by all members
  • Contract "BCS" bowl rights are declared for the postseason
  • Supporting bowl rights are contracted, with interesting opponents

What do you think would be the stability factor? Excitement (in terms of season ticket sales, ticket demand causing expansion to existing stadiums and arenas)? Political (in terms of college football) clout? Where do you see the Big East in 10 years if we can back up our administration with on-field performance?

To me, it seems this conference is lacking in nothing but traditional power. We have our 100 year old programs, we have our young programs, we have world beaters, we have deep pockets, we have national coverage, and we have academic support. What can't we achieve?

I'm happy with the Big East as is. The big question is, who else is?
08-29-2012 06:33 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
In general, I'm not an optimist or a pessimist. I'm a realist. In my opinion, the sky is the limit for the new Big East.

But like you said, we lack tradition. The old boy network will use that to the max against us. They will do everything they can to keep us down.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 06:46 PM by UConn-SMU.)
08-29-2012 06:45 PM
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
On the field performance will solve a lot of problems, answer a lot of questions, and build creditability. The 2013 season when the Big East will have pretty close to a full football lineup will be key. If the Big East can consistently do things like have 3 or 4 teams in the top 25, perform well in non conference and bowl games, and come up big in the national matchups the conference will be fine and continue to grow. I know that’s easier said than done but all the things you listed will lose a lot of its weight if the product on the field is subpar.

From a purely selfish perspective all you described is icing on the cake for me. In a perfect world the Big East would be viewed as one of the 6 major conferences, Temple will have a vehicle to continue to expand its national brand in basketball, and begin to build one in football, which will hopefully continue to elevate the university’s academic standing by attracting more upper level students. I love college sports, I love it even more when it can be used as a tool to raise the level and quality of the education that university provides.
08-29-2012 07:04 PM
Psicosis Online
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies
I'm already thrilled, after getting out of C-USA on the last lifeboat and all, but that would be amazing for the league and I think there's a chance at least part of that happens.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 07:17 PM by Psicosis.)
08-29-2012 07:16 PM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(08-29-2012 06:24 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 05:59 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  I'm not sure everything is just roses yet. Ive only seen optimism regarding the commissioner hire and the contract is still subjective at this point.
But he is asking a HYPOTHETICAL question, thus you can suspend your prediction of reality. He's asking, WHAT IF those things happened, how would you feel about the Big East?

I understand what hypothetical means captain obvious. I was responding to the first line of his post, but thank you for you patronization.
08-29-2012 07:26 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-29-2012 07:26 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 06:24 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

I understand what hypothetical means captain obvious. I was responding to the first line of his post, but thank you for you patronization.
Okay, my bad. Sometimes I tend to be over helpful, lol.
08-29-2012 08:48 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Heres how I see it...

we sign a fat contract with NBC/ESPN/CBS etc.......our football conference has multiple ranked teams each year, our hoops are still king of the hill and in five years cuse, pitt, and bc come begging and we tell them FU

how's that
08-29-2012 10:28 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
There is no stability factor. If the Big 12 can get raided by the Pac 12, SEC, and Big 10, then nobody is safe. It's all about the money and the power.

That being said, all of our schools have a pretty good opportunity here in the new Big East to make a decent run over the next few years. Let's take advantage of it.
08-29-2012 10:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.