Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] ECU - App St. Game Thread
Bookmark and Share
moss2k Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
I'm just ready for this game to be over with so App fans go back to their own message boards.
08-29-2012 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: ECU vs Appalachian State this Saturday
I really can't tell which group in this thread I hate more right now the Charlotte or App fans. We are playing App, so obviously for this week I hate App. However Charlotte fans have a program that doesn't exist are here talking smack to a program with real accomplishments and there are few things that piss me off more than market schools bragging because they got ahead due to nothing but where they happen to exist. So I'm at a loss who to be more mad at.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 09:14 AM by b0ndsj0ns.)
08-29-2012 09:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
919R Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-29-2012 09:01 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I really can't tell which group in this thread I hate more right now the Charlotte or App fans. We are playing App, so obviously for this week I hate App. However Charlotte fans have a program that doesn't exist are here talking smack to a program with real accomplishments and there are few things that piss me off more than market schools bragging because they got ahead due to nothing but where they happen to exist. So I'm at a loss who to be more mad at.

Yes, thats it....it was our market ONLY.Nothing to do with our being a Charter member of C-USA, or our strong overall athletics program......yeah right. Oh, and BTW, since it is ALL about market, why didn't C-USA bring in Ga. State instead of us or even App since they CLAIM they're in the Charlotte market and DOMINATE it anyway.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 09:30 AM by 919R.)
08-29-2012 09:28 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

(08-29-2012 09:28 AM)919R Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 09:01 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I really can't tell which group in this thread I hate more right now the Charlotte or App fans. We are playing App, so obviously for this week I hate App. However Charlotte fans have a program that doesn't exist are here talking smack to a program with real accomplishments and there are few things that piss me off more than market schools bragging because they got ahead due to nothing but where they happen to exist. So I'm at a loss who to be more mad at.

Yes, thats it....it was our market ONLY.Nothing to do with our being a Charter member of C-USA, or our strong overall athletics program......yeah right. Oh, and BTW, since it is ALL about market, why didn't C-USA bring in Ga. State instead of us or even App since they CLAIM they're in the Charlotte market and DOMINATE it anyway.

There's a disconnect between two sets of fans on this board.

There's the group that sees the whole picture.

Then there's the group that only sees things in terms of football.

Those that only see things in football terms will never think it was a good idea to pull in teams in larger TV markets and with solid institutional reputations, and that are good in other athletics besides football. The world is football only to them and if it wasn't a 99% football first idea than its wrong.
08-29-2012 09:42 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

Charlotte has other things, but I always ask one question when I think about what you are saying. If a school were located in a small market would what they bring to the table warrant an invite? We know the answer to that is no Charlotte wouldn't have even been mentioned, so market is at least 90% of what got them invited, and the rest is just filler. GSU and Charlotte essentially have non-existing football programs on any level that matters. Charlotte's actually doesn't exist, while theirs doesn't exist on any level that matters currently. So both bring markets and no football so that's where Charlotte's superiority in all other aspects makes them more valuable. As for why Charlotte got in over App you know as well as I do it's 90% at least due to market. Yeah I know you want to make Charlotte feel more important so you'll say it's relationships with C-USA in the past and everything else that makes Charlotte more valuable, and again if Charlotte and App swapped locations who gets in? We both know the answer changes to App, so basically market trumps all and the rest of the stuff you want to brag on is nice and all but barely mattered.
08-29-2012 09:47 AM
49RFootballNow Offline

(08-29-2012 09:47 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Charlotte has other things, but I always ask one question when I think about what you are saying. If a school were located in a small market would what they bring to the table warrant an invite? We know the answer to that is no Charlotte wouldn't have even been mentioned, so market is at least 90% of what got them invited, and the rest is just filler. GSU and Charlotte essentially have non-existing football programs on any level that matters. Charlotte's actually doesn't exist, while theirs doesn't exist on any level that matters currently. So both bring markets and no football so that's where Charlotte's superiority in all other aspects makes them more valuable. As for why Charlotte got in over App you know as well as I do it's 90% at least due to market. Yeah I know you want to make Charlotte feel more important so you'll say it's relationships with C-USA in the past and everything else that makes Charlotte more valuable, and again if Charlotte and App swapped locations who gets in? We both know the answer changes to App, so basically market trumps all and the rest of the stuff you want to brag on is nice and all but barely mattered.

But Charlotte IS in the larger TV market and that IS an attribute for our university. You can no more separate that from the identity of our university than you can separate Greenville from ECU or Boone from App. If CUSA was only concerned with football like your and some other fans are, clearly they would have took App over Charlotte.

But the CUSA Presidents and ADs only saw football as one aspect of the bigger picture.

Now let's not derail this thread further.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 10:02 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
08-29-2012 09:59 AM
Advertisement

CokeSlurpee711 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF & the AAC
RE: ECU - App St. Game Thread
Side note: Tragic App State isn't moving to C-USA vs the "programs" that are.
08-29-2012 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(08-29-2012 09:42 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

Those that only see things in football terms will never think it was a good idea to pull in teams in larger TV markets and with solid institutional reputations, and that are good in other athletics besides football. The world is football only to them and if it wasn't a 99% football first idea than its wrong.

This was a 99% markets idea. You can try to spin the rest of it whatever way you want to.
08-29-2012 10:19 AM
49RFootballNow Offline

(08-29-2012 10:19 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

This was a 99% markets idea. You can try to spin the rest of it whatever way you want to.

You hate that Charlotte got added to your football-only conference. Everyone here on CUSABBS as well as BoneYardBanter have now been well informed on your opinion of the topic for the last 2 weeks.

You are not in a position to change that fact.

Its time to process the fact that we ARE in CUSA and for you to move on and heal. Its football season, go enjoy it.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 10:25 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
08-29-2012 10:23 AM
919R Offline
Special Teams

(08-29-2012 09:47 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Cool story bro. 90% 03-lmfao......why didn't you answer my question (or 49RFN's) as to why App didn't get in since they ARE IN THE CHARLOTTE MARKET and market is "90%" of the reason we got in (ie; we're both in the same market, what happened?)
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 11:53 AM by 919R.)
08-29-2012 11:51 AM
919R Offline
Special Teams

Ever hear of La. Tech?
08-29-2012 11:54 AM
Advertisement

HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App
(08-29-2012 11:54 AM)919R Wrote:  

Ever hear of La. Tech?

La Tech brings something different to the table. The debate seems to be about why Charlotte got added.

90% might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but you know that this round of FBS expansion is about markets first, football second, and everything else combined a distant, distant third. For some schools, market is a bigger factor then it is for others, but at the end of the day market the main factor in all this.

Charlotte brings a lot of other things to the table (basketball, success in non-revenue sports, academics) and I get why fans like you and 49R football would get defensive when somebody says otherwise. Those things add to the total package that CUSA is getting, but you know that market is the main reason you are going from FCS startup to CUSA. It’s the main reason schools like SMU and Houston are going to Big East over schools like Southern Miss and ECU, it’s the main reason schools like FIU and North Texas are going to CUSA over schools like MTSU and Arkansas State, it’s the main reason schools like Georgia State and Texas State are going to Sun Belt over schools like App and Georgia Southern. Not the only reason, but the main reason by a big margin. Location, Location, Location.
08-29-2012 01:18 PM
moss2k Offline
Special Teams

RE: [split] ECU - App St. Game Thread
No one will deny that our market helped getting us BACK to CUSA. The only reason we left (forced out) was lack of football, now that we've added it we're coming back into the fold. Wasn't really rocket science to see it happen.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 01:57 PM by moss2k.)
08-29-2012 01:55 PM
CharSFNiner Offline
2nd String

(08-29-2012 01:18 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 09:28 AM)919R Wrote:  Yes, thats it....it was our market ONLY.Nothing to do with our being a Charter member of C-USA, or our strong overall athletics program......yeah right. Oh, and BTW, since it is ALL about market, why didn't C-USA bring in Ga. State instead of us or even App since they CLAIM they're in the Charlotte market and DOMINATE it anyway.

Ever hear of La. Tech?

La Tech brings something different to the table. The debate seems to be about why Charlotte got added.

90% might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but you know that this round of FBS expansion is about markets first, football second, and everything else combined a distant, distant third. For some schools, market is a bigger factor then it is for others, but at the end of the day market the main factor in all this.

Charlotte brings a lot of other things to the table (basketball, success in non-revenue sports, academics) and I get why fans like you and 49R football would get defensive when somebody says otherwise. Those things add to the total package that CUSA is getting, but you know that market is the main reason you are going from FCS startup to CUSA. It’s the main reason schools like SMU and Houston are going to Big East over schools like Southern Miss and ECU, it’s the main reason schools like FIU and North Texas are going to CUSA over schools like MTSU and Arkansas State, it’s the main reason schools like Georgia State and Texas State are going to Sun Belt over schools like App and Georgia Southern. Not the only reason, but the main reason by a big margin. Location, Location, Location.

What does La Tech bring to the table? Ruston, LA? I mean I know they have a football team and all, but you never expanded beyond that.
08-29-2012 02:10 PM
919R Offline
Special Teams

(08-29-2012 09:28 AM)919R Wrote:  Yes, thats it....it was our market ONLY.Nothing to do with our being a Charter member of C-USA, or our strong overall athletics program......yeah right. Oh, and BTW, since it is ALL about market, why didn't C-USA bring in Ga. State instead of us or even App since they CLAIM they're in the Charlotte market and DOMINATE it anyway.

Ever hear of La. Tech?

La Tech brings something different to the table. The debate seems to be about why Charlotte got added.90% might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but you know that this round of FBS expansion is about markets first, football second, and everything else combined a distant, distant third. For some schools, market is a bigger factor then it is for others, but at the end of the day market the main factor in all this.

NO! The statement has been made that this expansion was strictly about "markets" and clearly it was not ALL about market and not 90%. Don't back-track now.......It is not reasonable to claim one team gets in ONLY because of where it is located but another team gets in because it "brings something different to the table".That sounds like something a crying App State fan would claim.

Its either "all about market" or its not......... Clearly its NOT, when La Tech (small market) got in at the same time Charlotte got in (large market).
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 02:15 PM by 919R.)
08-29-2012 02:12 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

You are kind of missing the precursor to all this Charlotte/App lovefest. The only reason lots of Charlotte folk are hating on App is because lots of their fans deadpanned us for even considering to add football. Back when we were studying the issue, raising funds, etc. many App fans told us we would never amount to anything and that we should just give up the football dream. They called our school wornout names, said we'd never fill the stadium, etc. Well, now that we have football and have joined a conference App really wanted to be in, payback is a beatch. For me personally, I don't have anything against App and wish them well in whatever they choose to do. Niner fans aren't hating on App out of arrogance but more via payback. I find it all kind of silly, but it makes for humorous messageboard conversation.
08-29-2012 02:25 PM
Advertisement

HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App
(08-29-2012 02:12 PM)919R Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 09:42 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  There's a disconnect between two sets of fans on this board.

Ever hear of La. Tech?

La Tech brings something different to the table. The debate seems to be about why Charlotte got added.90% might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but you know that this round of FBS expansion is about markets first, football second, and everything else combined a distant, distant third. For some schools, market is a bigger factor then it is for others, but at the end of the day market the main factor in all this.

NO! The statement has been made that this expansion was strictly about "markets" and clearly it was not ALL about market and not 90%. Don't back-track now.......It is not reasonable to claim one team gets in ONLY because of where it is located but another team gets in because it "brings something different to the table".That sounds like something a crying App State fan would claim.

Its either "all about market" or its not......... Clearly its NOT, when La Tech (small market) got in at the same time Charlotte got in (large market).

LT is an established football program. CUSA is bringing in 3 FCS startups, another team in its FBS infancy, and another team that has been abysmal the last 5 or so years. I would imagine that CUSA needed an even number of teams, they needed an established program to offset (at least partially) the short term hit the conference is going to take while those other programs grow up, and they decided LT made the most sense. Just my guess though, I honestly don’t know that much about LT.

If you don’t think market/location is the absolute number one motivation behind all this, I really don’t know what to tell you. I’m not “crying”; I told you that I think Charlotte has a lot to offer. I’m just saying that market it the absolute number one driving force in all this, and I really can’t believe that somebody would argue that.
08-29-2012 03:06 PM
49RFootballNow Offline

(08-29-2012 03:06 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 10:19 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  This was a 99% markets idea. You can try to spin the rest of it whatever way you want to.

Ever hear of La. Tech?

LT is an established football program. CUSA is bringing in 3 FCS startups, another team in its FBS infancy, and another team that has been abysmal the last 5 or so years. I would imagine that CUSA needed an even number of teams, they needed an established program to offset (at least partially) the short term hit the conference is going to take while those other programs grow up, and they decided LT made the most sense. Just my guess though, I honestly don’t know that much about LT.

If you don’t think market/location is the absolute number one motivation behind all this, I really don’t know what to tell you. I’m not “crying”; I told you that I think Charlotte has a lot to offer. I’m just saying that market it the absolute number one driving force in all this, and I really can’t believe that somebody would argue that.

Don't take it personal. You're probably catching a lot of heat because of other Appy's that visit here and express themselves liberally.
08-29-2012 03:16 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(08-29-2012 03:21 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 03:16 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 02:59 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 02:46 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 12:00 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Well to be fair you are in a completely different classification of college football. Now sure plenty of South Carolina fans would say we are in a different class from them, but we are both FBS programs and play under the same rules with the same scholarship limits. You guys don't, and I respect your program but there's a reason why FBS teams for the most part don't play home games at FCS schools while AQ FBS programs will play at non-AQ FBS programs.

I completely understand your point. However the reality is BCS members don't view you guys as equals with them, much like some fans on here look down at App. NB is doing to App exactly what those fans do to ECU and I'm guessing he gets very upset about it. That is extremely hypocritical.

If you'd guys like to get back to discussing football I'm all for it. But that isn't what message boards are about anymore, we'd rather have a pissing match on here it seems.

Actually, Carolina is the only school that really treats us as unequal. VT, WVU, etc. have all acted very sensible in our pregame conversations in the past. Everyone knows we should be in a BCS conference

So why are you acting this way towards App?

Anyone that believes ECU should be in a BCS conference is likely using the same logic that would suggest that App should be in an FBS conference. Think about it.

App State is easily better than 25% of the FBS year in and year out and probably better than half of it in good years. I don't understand why they haven't gone FBS yet, especially considering some of the teams that have. I do understand that it would be rough going from competing for a NC every year to struggling with the rest of us. I know a lot of people in North Carolina don't want App to move up and I don't blame them but if they ever do decide to move up they will do fine I think. It might be ugly for a few years but they would make it.

They went to school in Concord, NC.
08-29-2012 03:21 PM
919R Offline
Special Teams

(08-29-2012 03:06 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 10:19 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  This was a 99% markets idea. You can try to spin the rest of it whatever way you want to.

Ever hear of La. Tech?

.........but App fans say they "own" the Charlotte market anyway and the school itself claims they ARE in this market. Therefore, they should have been in either way, right.....
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 03:51 PM by 919R.)
08-29-2012 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.