Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TB times BE blogger interview with commish
fusion1906 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Big East
TB times BE blogger interview with commish
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 06:04 PM by fusion1906.)
08-27-2012 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: TB times BE blogger interview with commish
(08-27-2012 05:59 PM)fusion1906 Wrote:  http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/cont...ike-aresco
Nice find, thanks. Nothing terribly new, of course, but he did go more in depth with some questions, than before, perhaps.

Says he's extremely close with Slive and Delaney, and their families.

Specifically mentioned the great Memphis-Louisville BB rivalry. 04-cheers
08-27-2012 06:55 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
OT, how does a newspaper company still have enough cash to sponsor a stadium?
08-27-2012 10:08 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(08-27-2012 10:08 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  OT, how does a newspaper company still have enough cash to sponsor a stadium?

You're uninformed. The Tampa Bay Times paid a naming fee just like the company that has it's name on your stadium. Same thing different location. 04-cheers

We're one of the largest papers in the country. Just sayin. 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 11:46 PM by Mestophalies.)
08-27-2012 11:42 PM
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
(08-27-2012 11:42 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  
(08-27-2012 10:08 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  OT, how does a newspaper company still have enough cash to sponsor a stadium?

You're uninformed. The Tampa Bay Times paid a naming fee just like the company that has it's name on your stadium. Same thing different location. 04-cheers

I don't think I'm uniformed at all. I asked it just like I meant to, and just like you gave as an example for YUM sponsoring our arena...my point is, I just didn't think print media newspapers had that kind of cash anymore to sponsor stadiums. Unless its NYT, maybe LA Times or a few others.
08-28-2012 07:11 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
The Tampa Bay Times is a well run paper. At the time they signed the naming rights deal, they were known as the St. Petersburg Times. The Tampa market has two major papers and it and it was kind of a coup that the St. Pete Times got the deal for the arena in downtown Tampa. Since that point, the Times circulation has increased while the Tampa Tribune circulation has dropped dramatically and the St. Pete Times has been renamed the Tampa Bay Times.
08-28-2012 07:40 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-28-2012 07:11 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  

I don't think I'm uniformed at all. I asked it just like I meant to, and just like you gave as an example for YUM sponsoring our arena...my point is, I just didn't think print media newspapers had that kind of cash anymore to sponsor stadiums. Unless its NYT, maybe LA Times or a few others.

St Pete/Tampa Bay Times has lost over 130,000 plus subscribers over the past 4-5 years....and is currently the 19th largest newspaper in the USA. (They actually moved up a few spots as 4-5 others experienced even larger drops in their subscriber base).

If they want to throw away their remaining subscribers $$$ on naming rights...that's their wish.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 07:54 AM by KnightLight.)
08-28-2012 07:46 AM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
The Times-Union newspaper in Albany, NY has the naming rights for the arena there in New York's Capital as well.

Times Union Center
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 07:54 AM by IceJus10.)
08-28-2012 07:52 AM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(08-28-2012 07:46 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

St Pete/Tampa Bay Times has lost over 130,000 plus subscribers over the past 4-5 years....and is currently the 19th largest newspaper in the USA. (They actually moved up a few spots as 4-5 others experienced even larger drops in their subscriber base).

If they want to throw away their remaining subscribers $$$ on naming rights...that's their wish.

Actually the Times subscriptions totals have increased over the last year. The company like many others may not live out this century but it has done what it can to ensure it's longevity. By the way before you fire shots across the bay, check your Orlando Sentinel's numbers. 03-phew
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 08:59 AM by Mestophalies.)
08-28-2012 08:58 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-28-2012 08:58 AM)Mestophalies Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 07:46 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Actually the Times subscriptions totals have increased over the last year. The company like many others may not live out this century but it has done what it can to ensure it's longevity. By the way before you fire shots across the bay, check your Orlando Sentinel's numbers. 03-phew

01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle

Why would I ever even bother commenting on the Orlando Sentinel?

It stopped being a real newspaper some 10-15 years ago.

LOL!!! Throwing out "newspaper smack"? LOL!!!! Guess there is always a first for everything.
08-28-2012 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

@NightLight

You made a derogatory comment about a Company without researching the facts. However, when I pointed that out and of course pointed towards the paper that would be associated with supporting your school, you claim I am talked smack. 04-jawdrop

That's just the type of comments I am used to from the old UCF fans. Provocation without substance. In the future, please refrain from making derogatory comments if you're not going to back them up. Yes you made that comment as a shot towards a USF fan as it was obvious from my previous post that I worked for that company. 05-nono
08-28-2012 01:12 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-28-2012 01:12 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  @NightLight

You made a derogatory comment about a Company without researching the facts.

Actually, I pointed out how the Tampa Bay/St Pete Times has lost over 130,000 subscribers over the past 4-5 years.

PS. And if you think any comments about a St Pete paper's drop in circulation and/or their sponsorship of the local NHL Arena has ANYTHING to do with USF...I don't know what to say to that...other than, STOP REACHING.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 02:22 PM by KnightLight.)
08-28-2012 02:18 PM
Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
Newspapers are losing circulation all across the country. It doesn't necessarily mean the product is bad. Most are stopping with hard copy subscriptions because they can now read the paper online.
08-28-2012 02:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-28-2012 02:29 PM)Derby Wrote:  Newspapers are losing circulation all across the country. It doesn't necessarily mean the product is bad. Most are stopping with hard copy subscriptions because they can now read the paper online.

True...but in some cases, yes, the printed product today is 'bad', especially compared to 15-20 years ago.

It really wasn't that long ago that the Sunday Sports Section was TWO sections long...some 20-25 plus pages...as sadly, many papers today are only a glimmer of what they once were.
08-28-2012 02:32 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(08-28-2012 02:18 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 01:12 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  @NightLight

You made a derogatory comment about a Company without researching the facts.

Actually, I pointed out how the Tampa Bay/St Pete Times has lost over 130,000 subscribers over the past 4-5 years.

PS. And if you think any comments about a St Pete paper's drop in circulation and/or their sponsorship of the local NHL Arena has ANYTHING to do with USF...I don't know what to say to that...other than, STOP REACHING.

Actually you could have just mentioned the naming rights being a normal advertising gimmick but you had to make a negative comment about subscription which was unnecessary. I saw your comment for what it was, unwarranted. As for USF, well I posted the comment and am a fan of theirs so you took a shot.

Here's a link to help you with some facts.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/cont...ased-today
08-28-2012 04:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.