Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Today is 2-deep day - what we know
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Today is 2-deep day - what we know
This will be the most interesting 2-deep release I can remember. Lot of talented newcomers as English continues to recruit very well.

I'm looking at the 2-deeps from the spring prospectus dated 4/11/2012:

1) Z: Nick Olds, starter, is out.

2) H: Kevin Wheeler (#2) is no longer on the team per a poster.

3). Y: Dylan Brooks (listed as #2) might be injured.

4). LG: Josh Woods (listed as #2) might no longer be on the roster per a poster.

5). MLB: Steve Brown (listed as #2) is no longer on the team per a poster. Kurtz fits here????

6). LC: Ja'Ron Gillespie (listed as #3) is no longer on the team per a poster.

I'll be watching the receivers (X, Z, H and Y) on offense.

On defense:

DE shows Price/Rich and either or both might not make the 2-deeps.

LB: I'm not sure where Kurtz fits here. Does he slide into Stevie Brown's slot???? How about Tim Brown?

LC/RC: Pollard, Rose, Scott and Rouse?

FS/SS: Looks like Kevin Johnson and Coleman and Sean Cotton. The other? Belify? Haymon? Someone else?

Interesting, I don't know of any redshirt frosh breaking into the 2-deeps. EDIT: McFarlane. Should have mentioned him.

EDIT: Interesting, also, I only see true frosh on the 2-deep at at WR and DL.

P.S. With depth on the OL thin, might we see a strong, talented OL recruit break into the 2-deeps?

I see a couple of those recruits who I think might not need a redshirt year.

Terrell is a big boy and also played at a high level in high school. He might be able to step in as a true frosh.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 07:06 AM by emu steve.)
08-27-2012 06:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: Today is 2-deep day - what we know
This is more interesting then this year's GOP convention which will have zero suspense. Isaac is the suspense this week...

The last great, suspenseful convention I can remember was the '76 GOP convention featuring the roll call vote between Ford and Reagan.

It happened early in the morning (say 2 a.m.). I had my first color television set (didn't replace them every 2 years like smart phones or PCs) and was joined by an EMU coed and we stayed up all night watching this spectacle.

Of course, if we didn't have the Internet back then so I couldn't get up at 5:00 a.m. to post. Lol.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 07:32 AM by emu steve.)
08-27-2012 07:27 AM
AlexAlvarado Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EMU
(08-27-2012 06:19 AM)emu steve Wrote:  This will be the most interesting 2-deep release I can remember. Lot of talented newcomers as English continues to recruit very well.

I'm looking at the 2-deeps from the spring prospectus dated 4/11/2012:

1) Z: Nick Olds, starter, is out.

2) H: Kevin Wheeler (#2) is no longer on the team per a poster.

3). Y: Dylan Brooks (listed as #2) might be injured.

4). LG: Josh Woods (listed as #2) might no longer be on the roster per a poster.

5). MLB: Steve Brown (listed as #2) is no longer on the team per a poster. Kurtz fits here????

6). LC: Ja'Ron Gillespie (listed as #3) is no longer on the team per a poster.

I'll be watching the receivers (X, Z, H and Y) on offense.

On defense:

DE shows Price/Rich and either or both might not make the 2-deeps.

LB: I'm not sure where Kurtz fits here. Does he slide into Stevie Brown's slot???? How about Tim Brown?

LC/RC: Pollard, Rose, Scott and Rouse?

FS/SS: Looks like Kevin Johnson and Coleman and Sean Cotton. The other? Belify? Haymon? Someone else?

Interesting, I don't know of any redshirt frosh breaking into the 2-deeps. EDIT: McFarlane. Should have mentioned him.

EDIT: Interesting, also, I only see true frosh on the 2-deep at at WR and DL.

P.S. With depth on the OL thin, might we see a strong, talented OL recruit break into the 2-deeps?

I see a couple of those recruits who I think might not need a redshirt year.

Terrell is a big boy and also played at a high level in high school. He might be able to step in as a true frosh.

Source for this info?
08-27-2012 07:41 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Source:

Mostly my own intuitions although some of this has been posted by others or sometimes a few tidbits from a squirrel or two who shared what they know.

As is true on boards such as this, it is sometimes hard to decipher what is Gospel and what is rumor or a guess.

I need to recheck the roster to see that what I was told by others is in fact true. I assume if someone is off the roster, they are off the roster.
08-27-2012 07:54 AM
AlexAlvarado Offline
Water Engineer

(08-27-2012 07:54 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Source:

Mostly my own intuitions although some of this has been posted by others or sometimes a few tidbits from a squirrel or two who shared what they know.

As is true on boards such as this, it is sometimes hard to decipher what is Gospel and what is rumor or a guess.

I need to recheck the roster to see that what I was told by others is in fact true. I assume if someone is off the roster, they are off the roster.

Ah, fair enough. I was just trying to see if there was some sort of website along the lines of 'two-back prospectus' that I haven't heard of or something like that.
08-27-2012 08:16 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, I was wrong on Josh Woods. He is on the roster.

Sorry for the confusion here.

I should have also mentioned Pipkin and Hall on the DL. We all seem to agree that there are opportunities there and both have looked good this month, I hear.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 08:43 AM by emu steve.)
08-27-2012 08:18 AM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
All,

I much say with little shame, I do not know or have any ideas on where we are with the "2's". Hell I am having problems listing the "1's".

EmuSteve, great job at listing this. I having problems with all/any combinations except for OL and and QB's.

I can see so many combinations of players depending on the team we are playing against and what we are trying to do on the "O"-side of the ball and who is playing well on the "D"- side of the ball (I am sooooo confused)... I can see the chart changing from week to week because the freshmen will be pushing the returnees to the end of the season.. This is what good team struggles with each year..

It's a good problem to have..

I am saying all this to make my point, I will wait until the posting come out.. There will be some surprises I believe..
08-27-2012 08:58 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I agree with NuPudge on many points.

For example, I don't have Bronson Hill in the 2-deep at RB but maybe on the first running play of the year he lines up as a FB and dives up the middle for four yards. 2nd and 6, Gillett rolls out and gets 7 yards on a keeper... 02-13-banana

I do agree the more and more newcomers pushing the returnees would indicate the talent infusion we are seeing on this team.

And don't forget the newcomers may not start or be on the 2-deeps today but they could push throughout the season and maybe start later in the season.
08-27-2012 10:22 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-27-2012 10:33 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  http://emueagles.com/documents/2012/8/27...df?id=2512

2-deeps are on page 14.

very interesting!!!

Lot of newcomers at WR and no real surprise there as we have been speculating about the newcomers for quite a wihile.

Donald Scott is starting. Hmmmmmm.

Defense is newcomers all over the place!!

Including some frosh who I thought would be redshirted.
08-27-2012 10:41 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Wow. First impressions...

-Creel starting, Quincy Jones 2nd string. We knew we had some talented receivers coming in and it's nice to see that they've earned some PT. Interesting that Jay Jones and Julius Shelby aren't in the 2-deeps at all...

-Orlando McCord beat out Campbell Allison at RG.

-Glad to see Kashama is good to go and starting at DE. Makes me more comfortable with the line as a whole. I think the JUCO tackles will do well...English LOVES Maughmer.

-Our highly touted LB recruit Ike Spearman looks like the 2nd string WILL.

-As we've speculated, Donald Coleman is the starting Free Safety. Hope he can provide a Latarrius Thomas-like steadiness back there.
08-27-2012 10:59 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-27-2012 10:59 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Wow. First impressions...

-Creel starting, Quincy Jones 2nd string. We knew we had some talented receivers coming in and it's nice to see that they've earned some PT. Interesting that Jay Jones and Julius Shelby aren't in the 2-deeps at all...

-Orlando McCord beat out Campbell Allison at RG.

-Glad to see Kashama is good to go and starting at DE. Makes me more comfortable with the line as a whole. I think the JUCO tackles will do well...English LOVES Maughmer.

-Our highly touted LB recruit Ike Spearman looks like the 2nd string WILL.

-As we've speculated, Donald Coleman is the starting Free Safety. Hope he can provide a Latarrius Thomas-like steadiness back there.

I noticed some of that also.

I was shocked to see McCord starting and only THREE backups on the OL, Allison, McFadden and Erbes.

Spearman is a bit of a surprise to me. Not because I doubted his talent, but we have a lot of talent at LB and thought he might redshirt.

I wondered about Jay Jones as well. I thought he was 2-deep caliber.
08-27-2012 11:03 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I re-read my post which started this thread.

Where is McFarlane?
08-27-2012 11:05 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I'm surprised Kurtz and Poole are not starting. A bit off the topic but Sorgatz is moving up the ladder for most consecutive starts and Gillett is now number 6 in career passing yards and TDs, has a real chance of moving up in both categories.
08-27-2012 11:37 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Gillett can also be #3 on EMU's all time passing yards list with a 2,000 yard season. If we commit more to the passing game, he should get 2,000 easily.

Also worth noting: Mike Williams, the safety transfer from Michigan, is no longer on the roster.

Edit: '79 already mentioned the passing yards record. I misread that. My bad.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 11:45 AM by EagleSam.)
08-27-2012 11:44 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-27-2012 11:44 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Gillett can also be #3 on EMU's all time passing yards list with a 2,000 yard season. If we commit more to the passing game, he should get 2,000 easily.

Also worth noting: Mike Williams, the safety transfer from Michigan, is no longer on the roster.

Edit: '79 already mentioned the passing yards record. I misread that. My bad.

IF Mike Williams got beaten out at safety and left the team that says a lot about the raw talent back there.

Wonder if he was competing with Coleman and Cotton?

Also a chance of injury related?
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 11:55 AM by emu steve.)
08-27-2012 11:54 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I believe Williams had a history of concussions. Perhaps that had to do with his decision.

Quick tangent on our defense...

I know some are skeptical about the D, but it is worth noting that 8 of the 11 are returning starters or guys who saw significant PT last year (Kevin Johnson, Colin Weingrad). One of the 3 newcomers is a safety who transferred from a BCS school that has a LOADED secondary. The other two are JUCO DT's who were highly regarded by a couple recruiting sources.

I think this D picks up right where it left off last year, and could even end up being a better unit.
08-27-2012 12:02 PM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

I think this list probably only applying to the 1st game.. The following week may be difference. I am looking at the people and most of them are pass rush type players. This would make sense since we are playing against a team who passes 2/3 of the time. Henderson not starting shocked me. From looking at the D-side of the ball, we have lots 1 & 2nd year players there.

I believe we will see a huge improvement with athlete and speed.
08-27-2012 02:23 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-27-2012 02:23 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  I think this list probably only applying to the 1st game.. The following week may be difference. I am looking at the people and most of them are pass rush type players. This would make sense since we are playing against a team who passes 2/3 of the time. Henderson not starting shocked me. From looking at the D-side of the ball, we have lots 1 & 2nd year players there.

I believe we will see a huge improvement with athlete and speed.

I don't know how English handles injured players.

Are injured players usually 'demoted' to 'second string' or are they left off the 2-deeps completely?

We need to know who is not expected to play because of injury.

These 2-deeps aren't like Mario and Rod doing the baseball lineups.
08-27-2012 02:32 PM
EMU03' Offline
2nd String

Most suprising to me is no Tyler Allen in kick or punt return duties. English seemed excited about his development in the return game in the Spring.

Biggest source of optimism is with Dustin Creel. He has great size and a good looking HS highlight tape -shows great athleticsm. I look forward to seeing how our receivers fare on Thurday.

Least suprising was the running back depth chart. A solid crew (Sherrer, Greene, Brumfield, Hill). I wasn't sure if Lewis would bypass anyone or not but it would be wise to redshirt him if we don't need him right away.
08-27-2012 04:41 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

Hey all, don't I get credit for choosing WR Creel when no one else did?

It doesn't matter he may be the only one I picked correctly... SMH
08-27-2012 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.