CBS/Unless it's BCS, ND suddenly a bowl outlier the next 2 seasons
08-26-2012 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: CBS/Unless it's BCS, ND suddenly a bowl outlier the next 2 seasons
This is a great reason why the Big East should give Notre Dame the option to be selected for one of the conference's bowls each year. You keep Notre Dame in the conference and get better overall bowl games.
08-26-2012 02:56 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-26-2012 02:56 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  This is a great reason why the Big East should give Notre Dame the option to be selected for one of the conference's bowls each year. You keep Notre Dame in the conference and get better overall bowl games.
Agree. That would solve their problem, and help stabilize the BE, too.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 02:58 PM by TripleA.)
08-26-2012 02:57 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(08-26-2012 02:56 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  This is a great reason why the Big East should give Notre Dame the option to be selected for one of the conference's bowls each year. You keep Notre Dame in the conference and get better overall bowl games.

But ND would have to sign some sort of contract guaranteeing they will stay in the Big East for olympic sports or face some sort of huge financial penalty.
08-26-2012 03:31 PM
KingFu Offline
Banned

I Root For: U of Memphis
I don't see ND going anywhere anytime soon. If their Olympic sports can make more in a new Big East alignment then why leave? Foot will forever be independent. At least in the foreseeable future.
08-26-2012 04:01 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-26-2012 04:01 PM)KingFu Wrote:  I don't see ND going anywhere anytime soon. If their Olympic sports can make more in a new Big East alignment then why leave? Foot will forever be independent. At least in the foreseeable future.
We're not talking putting their football in a conference. Sure, they will stay indy. We're talking about the possibility of moving their Olympic sports to another conference, to possibly get better bowl deals for football.

And the money they get for Olympic sports is secondary to them.
08-26-2012 04:07 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
How about working a deal with the Fiesta? As unlikely as it is, they are no longer guaranteed a top six status with the Champions Bowl, Atlanta, and Houston among other markets bringing their respective bowl games into the fold, be it the Cotton or Peach. They need a package deal with a conference one way or another. I think we swing a deal with preferential treatment for ND/BE Champ in the top whatever. Same goes for an opponent for the Orange. I think if we can rotate on a year to year basis with those two Bowls, where other years the second place Big 10/12, Pac 12 teams can get their teams in those bowls the years the BE/ND isn't in there. It can work out for all parties.

Although you wouldn't want the BE champ in the Fiesta unless the Champ is "west" based, and BYU/Boise/Houston are in the mix. We know that the city of Houston is in the mix for something, and we have a school situated there.

At the end of the day, I think we will see a deal where ND or the BE champ is guaranteed an annual bid (whomever places higher), assuming we land BYU and continue to add solid schools out WEST to build the national scope. ND is a national brand and we are a national conference. I think one of the two will have representation in the top six bowls every year.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 04:12 PM by RUScarlets.)
08-26-2012 04:09 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Fiesta would be horrible for UCONN/UC/RU/USF, etc....and the Fiesta knows it. I just don't see that on happening...
08-26-2012 04:27 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Agree, that the Fiesta Bowl is an awful location for more than half the conference. If you gave the Fiesta and a Florida bowl (Orange, Russel, Capital One, Outback) the option of Notre Dame every season you might be on to something.

Notre Dame with a winning record will get either the Fiesta, a top level Florida game, or spot in the playoff every season. I bet the Irish could live with that. The Big East would then get the other bowl slot and maybe both when the Irish are in the playoff or fall below 7 wins.
08-26-2012 04:35 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

(08-26-2012 04:27 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Fiesta would be horrible for UCONN/UC/RU/USF, etc....and the Fiesta knows it. I just don't see that on happening...

Rutgers did fine the year they played in the Insight Bowl. If they went to the Fiesta Bowl, they would be fine. The bigger issue is where people are buying their tickets from and the market being flooded with other tickets when the Fiesta Bowl or the Orange Bowl or the Sugar also had the national championship.
08-26-2012 04:39 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(08-26-2012 04:39 PM)General Mike Wrote:  
(08-26-2012 04:27 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Fiesta would be horrible for UCONN/UC/RU/USF, etc....and the Fiesta knows it. I just don't see that on happening...

Rutgers did fine the year they played in the Insight Bowl. If they went to the Fiesta Bowl, they would be fine. The bigger issue is where people are buying their tickets from and the market being flooded with other tickets when the Fiesta Bowl or the Orange Bowl or the Sugar also had the national championship.

Well that Insight bowl was Rutgers 1st bowl in 30 years.
08-26-2012 05:13 PM
Advertisement

General Mike Offline
1st String

(08-26-2012 05:13 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

And it was still a 3rd tier bowl like every bowl this conference has sent us to even tho we have the best traveling fan base in the conference.
08-26-2012 05:17 PM
LaBradfordsTWill Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(08-26-2012 05:17 PM)General Mike Wrote:  

And it was still a 3rd tier bowl like every bowl this conference has sent us to even tho we have the best traveling fan base in the conference.

I think UofL travels better than Rutgers. We usually send 20,000 or more to bowl games.
08-26-2012 05:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
General Mike Offline
1st String

(08-26-2012 05:24 PM)LaBradfordsTWill Wrote:  

I think UofL travels better than Rutgers. We usually send 20,000 or more to bowl games.

You didn;t have to go 3000 miles away, to another country or to a baseball stadium (4 times)
08-26-2012 05:38 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

No excuses accept! 07-coffee3
08-26-2012 05:40 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

The conference didn't send you there. The Bowl picked you. If we had more attractive teams i.e. legit traveling fan bases and names that get people to tune in then we'd have better bowls.
08-26-2012 05:42 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners

Maybe you should win a conference title in a major sport, the next one Rutgers wins will be the first...
08-26-2012 05:43 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-26-2012 05:38 PM)General Mike Wrote:  You didn;t have to go 3000 miles away, to another country or to a baseball stadium (4 times)

When Louisville played in the Fiesta Bowl, more than 30,000 Louisville fans went. Also note that distance is mostly irrelevant once you HAVE to take a plane. If you are travelling from Louisville, for example, it does not matter if you pay in the Orange Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, or the Rose Bowl: you have to fly anyway. Of course the difference is that it is much cheaper to fly to Phoenix/Glendale than it is to fly to Miami, but no one pays attention to that.*
The three best traveling fan bases int he Big east up were West Virginia, Louisville, and Cincinnati.

*Note that I am aware that one difference in a Florida Bowl is that many BE schools have a lot of alumni already in Florida who attend games, making higher turnouts easier to achieve due to local alumni attending. But when it comes to traveling from the home market, The Fiesta Bowl is more accessible than any other BCS bowl by plane due to price.
08-26-2012 05:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
General Mike Offline
1st String

I will not accept that Cincinatti is a better traveling fan base then Rutgers.

Rutgers bringing 15000 to Houston and 12000 to Toronto is a heck of a lot more impressive then the 22K that Cincinnati brought to the Sugar Bowl or the 9000 they brought to Memphis.
08-26-2012 05:50 PM
KingFu Offline
Banned

I Root For: U of Memphis

That's because Marinatto was the commissioner. He was as clueless as RC Johnson was as AD at Memphis. Now Aresco who does have a clue will see to it that the Big East gets its share if not more. Good days are ahead for all of us. We're all in the same boat and need to stick together.
08-26-2012 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.