Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MU assistant fired, Williams suspended for recruiting violations
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
MU assistant fired, Williams suspended for recruiting violations
http://jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/...02655.html

Marquette University basketball coach Buzz Williams was suspended for the team's first Big East game and Scott Monarch, one of his top assistants, was fired in connection with recruiting violations.

The school announced the moves Friday night.

In a statement, Williams said Monarch was dismissed after an investigation determined the assistant coach had been untruthful with department administrators after they learned he had committed violations involving the recruit.

The penalties are self-imposed and have been reported to the NCAA. Marquette will have to await a final verdict from the NCAA after the NCAA completes its own investigation.

In its statement, Marquette said Williams would sit out a conference game "in recognition of his duty to monitor the compliance of his staff."

In addition, Marquette said the men's basketball program will reduce its official visits for the next calendar year. It did not say by how many.

The Journal Sentinel first reported Aug. 10 that Marquette had committed a violation involving its men's basketball program. At the time, the school, in confirming that report, did not say there was more than one violation.

Sources said the violation the university first confirmed was considered to be of a secondary or lesser nature. The sources said NCAA officials met with Williams in late July.

Williams and Monarch were close. Monarch had been with the Marquette program for four seasons. He came to Milwaukee after serving as an assistant coach at Tyler Junior College in Texas.

In 2006-'07, Monarch served as Williams' assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at the University of New Orleans.

"When I was allowed to review the report earlier this week, I was deeply saddened to learn of an error in judgment of one of my assistants and closest friends," Williams said in a statement released by the university. "I take personal responsibility for what happens in this program and realize we must be role models to both our team and the entire university. Our commitment has always been and will always be to operate this program at the highest level of integrity in the Marquette and Jesuit tradition."

In his official Marquette biography, Monarch was credited with helping bring 42 players to Division I programs from the junior college ranks.

In its statement, Marquette said it had retained Bond, Schoeneck and King, a firm known for assisting athletic programs with potential violations involving the NCAA.

Marquette said Monarch provided team-issued apparel and transportation to a prospective recruit, who was not identified. According to Marquette, "when questioned, he (Monarch) provided misleading information about the matter multiple times, before eventually acknowledging his actions. He had been on suspension from all duties since mid-June."

Larry Williams, the school's athletic director, said the situation "reinforces the need to be focused not only on our rich competitive history but most importantly on the core values that underpin this very unique program - among the elite in the nation.

"It was our obligation to take strong decisive steps as we took this matter extremely seriously. The NCAA has made the role of institutions quite clear in its proposed legislative changes to the penalty structure."

The dismissal of Monarch and the decision to make Buzz Williams sit out a conference game comes after two other recent developments within the program: the withdrawal of T.J. Taylor, a highly recruited transfer student from Paris (Texas) Junior College, from Marquette in July after only two weeks on campus and the suspension of sophomore guard Todd Mayo, confirmed by Williams in June. A source says Mayo is back on the team.
08-25-2012 02:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gosports1 Online
Heisman

I Root For: providence
RE: MU assistant fired, Williams suspended for recruiting violations
fired for giving the kid a t-shirt and a ride? must be more to this story
08-25-2012 07:25 AM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
(08-25-2012 07:25 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  fired for giving the kid a t-shirt and a ride? must be more to this story

The article clearly states he was untruthful about the incident.

These are secondary violations so it's doubtful that NCAA will give Marquette probation unless there's more violations.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 08:58 AM by ollin.)
08-25-2012 08:58 AM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
When Buzz was dancing on WV court after beating them, I was like noice
08-25-2012 09:24 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(08-25-2012 07:25 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  fired for giving the kid a t-shirt and a ride? must be more to this story

They are laying the ground work to get rid of the head coach. First, they will try and make him mad enough to leave on his own accord.
08-25-2012 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(08-25-2012 09:40 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

They are laying the ground work to get rid of the head coach. First, they will try and make him mad enough to leave on his own accord.

Don't know why MU would do something so moronic. Williams has that program playing at a very high level.
08-25-2012 12:16 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
SMU got him a nice raise
08-25-2012 12:27 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
First Majerus leaves for health reasons, now this. I think SMU lucked out in its coaching search.
08-25-2012 01:11 PM
CuseKid Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Syracuse
Marquette Junior College is the equivalent of the roommate you had in college that was labeled a "silent slob."

Their transfer rate is near the top in the country. Buzz Williams over-recruits true freshmen for JUCO's....some of which were academically ineligible out of high school. To me, MUJC expends a ton of effort just to compete in the Big East. For all of their transfers and JUCO's, they have no conference titles and no BET titles. It is as though they swim upstream. Eventually, the tide will be too overwhelming and they will fall back to where they started; a team throughout the 80's and 90's that played in crap conferences that no one ever heard of or followed. Dwayne Wade was their ticket to the Big East and he was a Prop 48 player. If MUJC was in the BE then, Wade would not have been ineligible to accept a scholarship from the BE. Seems to me like Buzz Williams is a lot like Tom Crean. It will catch up to them....eventually. But hey....at least their JUCO's coast through the academics at MU....something I certainly question.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 06:26 PM by CuseKid.)
08-25-2012 06:17 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Marquette is a lot like Xavier, a religious school that only has basketball as a cash cow. They both take on questionable recruits both academically and character wise.
08-25-2012 06:24 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(08-25-2012 01:11 PM)Comet Wrote:  First Majerus leaves for health reasons, now this. I think SMU lucked out in its coaching search.

Until he leaves in two years...
08-25-2012 06:36 PM
ollin Offline
1st String

(08-25-2012 06:17 PM)CuseKid Wrote:  Marquette Junior College is the equivalent of the roommate you had in college that was labeled a "silent slob."

Their transfer rate is near the top in the country. Buzz Williams over-recruits true freshmen for JUCO's....some of which were academically ineligible out of high school. To me, MUJC expends a ton of effort just to compete in the Big East. For all of their transfers and JUCO's, they have no conference titles and no BET titles. It is as though they swim upstream. Eventually, the tide will be too overwhelming and they will fall back to where they started; a team throughout the 80's and 90's that played in crap conferences that no one ever heard of or followed. Dwayne Wade was their ticket to the Big East and he was a Prop 48 player. If MUJC was in the BE then, Wade would not have been ineligible to accept a scholarship from the BE. Seems to me like Buzz Williams is a lot like Tom Crean. It will catch up to them....eventually. But hey....at least their JUCO's coast through the academics at MU....something I certainly question.

Knock all you want, Marquette has gone to 2 straight Sweet 16's. Not many schools can say that.
08-25-2012 06:47 PM
CuseKid Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-25-2012 06:47 PM)ollin Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 06:17 PM)CuseKid Wrote:  Marquette Junior College is the equivalent of the roommate you had in college that was labeled a "silent slob."

Knock all you want, Marquette has gone to 2 straight Sweet 16's. Not many schools can say that.

Considering how they run their program, I am unimpressed with that result.
08-25-2012 06:52 PM
Advertisement

ollin Offline
1st String

(08-25-2012 06:52 PM)CuseKid Wrote:  

This coming from a Syracuse fan. 05-stirthepot
08-25-2012 06:54 PM
CuseKid Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-25-2012 06:54 PM)ollin Wrote:  

Yup. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are implying with your last post. There has been VERY LITTLE dirt found on JB's program, especially when you consider the fact that he has been coaching for over 35 years. There are coaches that have been HC's for a small fraction of that time and have had more slip-ups than JB.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 07:13 PM by CuseKid.)
08-25-2012 07:04 PM
ollin Offline
1st String

(08-25-2012 07:04 PM)CuseKid Wrote:  

Yup. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are implying with your last post. There has been VERY LITTLE dirt found on JB's program, especially when you consider the fact that he has been coaching for over 35 years. There are coaches that have been HC's for a small fraction of that time and have had more slip-ups than JB.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...ion_030512

Syracuse was the first Big East basketball program to be put on probation and was banned from the NCAA tournament in 93. Marquette basketball has never been on probation.
08-25-2012 07:26 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(08-25-2012 06:36 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 01:11 PM)Comet Wrote:  First Majerus leaves for health reasons, now this. I think SMU lucked out in its coaching search.

Until he leaves in two years...

the next two years may be the most important in SMU hoops history...who better than Larry Brown to lead them into the Big East...and the big time?
08-25-2012 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CuseKid Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-25-2012 07:26 PM)ollin Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 07:04 PM)CuseKid Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 06:47 PM)ollin Wrote:  Knock all you want, Marquette has gone to 2 straight Sweet 16's. Not many schools can say that.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...ion_030512

Syracuse was the first Big East basketball program to be put on probation and was banned from the NCAA tournament in 93. Marquette basketball has never been on probation.

Ugh. Yes, you are correct with your post. I believe JB was also the first coach to be labeled with the 'lack of institutional control' penalty. Do you actually know the details of that case? I think not. You probably need to google it. Again....over 35 years. How many coaches have come and gone in less time than that?
08-25-2012 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.