Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TV Gurus: How will Big East TV deal go out for bid
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
TV Gurus: How will Big East TV deal go out for bid
We all know its going to bypass the exclusive window...so is it going to be treated like a Construction Project per say,

1.Lump sum package
2. Portions available to be bid on without being required to bid on lump sum
3. Various scenarios for all football and some bball

What say you?
08-24-2012 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
RE: TV Gurus: How will Big East TV deal go out for bid
It's sounding more and more like option 2, only drawback is we'll need a TV Guide channel just to figure out where everything is lol
08-24-2012 06:27 PM
Boise fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
It'll depend on how serious NBC is about getting a conference sports package. They may put out a lump sum. Will also depend on if ESPN is happy with their current programming sans BE, or if they really do want to compete for the BE programming. If NBC makes a solid lump sum offer, then the BE will probably sign. Otherwise, scenario 2 or 3 will kick in.
08-24-2012 06:46 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
This is not my thing, and there are others on here who know a lot more than I do, but I can give some basics, and others can fill in or correct me, if necessary.

During ESPN's exclusive window, the BE will tell ESPN what they are looking for. ESPN may counter. But you're right, it is HIGHLY unlikely it stops with ESPN before open bids.

In the open bid window, I'm not sure the BE has decided if it will bid out two packages, one for each sport, or lump everything together. There has been discussion about doing it either way.

At any rate, if the usual protocol is followed, the original bids will be made by individual networks for the entire package, or for one or both packages, depending on how the BE dictates it.

After that, anything could happen, depending on the back and forth between the BE and the networks. Two or more networks could bid together on all or part of a package, or the BE could request certain networks to bid together on all or part of it.

Bids could be split by tiers, by sports, or both, or even by days of the week.

And don't bet against a lot of talk already going on behind the scenes, despite any exclusive window, even including discussing numbers. They just are careful not to leave paper trails, including sending e-mails, lol.

Also, Aresco has made it clear that this is about more than money. Other considerations include game start times, days of the week, promotional ideas and packages, etc.

This thing could be done in early November, or it could drag out for weeks. No way to tell yet.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012 06:55 PM by TripleA.)
08-24-2012 06:52 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Oh hell yeah I hope back room talks are going on...when you hear ESPN tell ACC to go get Pitt and Cuse, then all nice gestures and rules are thrown out the window...
08-24-2012 07:12 PM
texassouthern1992 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: LSU & Boise
02-13-bananaI just hope that the sponsoring of a bowl game for our champion is included. I would tell ESPN if you want us we want more than the ACC got and our champ in the Orange Bowl. We will accept nothing less!
08-24-2012 07:14 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-24-2012 07:14 PM)texassouthern1992 Wrote:  02-13-bananaI just hope that the sponsoring of a bowl game for our champion is included. I would tell ESPN if you want us we want more than the ACC got and our champ in the Orange Bowl. We will accept nothing less!
That's actually a good point. It is in the interest of whoever our eventual TV partner(s) is/are to help us get a major bowl tie-in (and other bowls, as well). There are no guarantees yet, but that is definitely something that will be discussed with every serious bidder, I'm sure. It may involve existing bowls, or it could certainly involve setting up a new bowl for our champ, or both.
08-24-2012 07:22 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(08-24-2012 07:14 PM)texassouthern1992 Wrote:  02-13-bananaI just hope that the sponsoring of a bowl game for our champion is included. I would tell ESPN if you want us we want more than the ACC got and our champ in the Orange Bowl. We will accept nothing less!

that wont happen espn isnt going to do harm to the acc which the bigeast getting more than the acc would do.your only hope of getting near acc money is nbc blolwing espn out of the water because its so desperate for college sports.Espn likely wont offer more than 8-10 per year for all sports
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 07:40 PM by Chris02M.)
08-25-2012 07:39 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-25-2012 07:39 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  

that wont happen espn isnt going to do harm to the acc which the bigeast getting more than the acc would do.your only hope of getting near acc money is nbc blolwing espn out of the water because its so desperate for college sports.Espn likely wont offer more than 8-10 per year for all sports
Then ESPN won't get anything.
08-25-2012 08:24 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(08-25-2012 08:24 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

possibly but im sure there are some basketball schools who want espn to at least get some of that
08-25-2012 09:09 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Looks like option 2 from all the talk, that I have been hearing and reading. 07-coffee3
08-25-2012 09:19 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-25-2012 09:09 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  

possibly but im sure there are some basketball schools who want espn to at least get some of that

You can bet the ACC's record will be CLOSELY scrutinized when putting a value on the Big East football and basketball inventory.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 09:24 PM by BigEastHomer.)
08-25-2012 09:22 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
There's too much basketball inventory for ESPN to not get some of it. NBC SN has commitments to NHL, with 72 of the 90 games they aired on NBC being on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. With most of the rest of the games on Sunday nights from January to the end of the season.
08-25-2012 09:31 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
NBC probably would like to get ALL the football inventory and a nice chunk of the basketball inventory. Baseball, soccer, and other sports likley would even have some value to NBC-Sports as filler. ESPN probaly doesnt wnat to get shut out so it would like a little football inventory and would definitely be interested in basketball inventory. If Fox/CBS/TNT/etc are interested in some of the football or basketball inventory---thats where it starts to get very interesting. For instance, suppose CBS--who only has the rights to one SEC game a week for CBS over the air--decides they might be interested in one Big East game a week to pair with the SEC for a football double header. Yes, they already have CUSA teams, but maybe they want a legue that has a little more punch than the weakened CUSA and MW.

MAybe CBS isnt a big bidder. Maybe TNT decides to enter the college football arena in a big way. Bottom line---if we have 3 or 4 bidders, I could see the TV rights package being sliced and diced so that smaller less expensive bundles could be sold to multiple bidders. Each package would be far less than the ACC contract---but the sum total of these smaller packages could end up exceeding the ACC deal.

If NBC, who is quite desperate for programming sees that more and more inventory could be packaged and sent to other networks---NBC could be forced to get very aggressive in bidding in order to get as much of the inventory as possible. This is going to be a very interesting story to watch unfold.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 09:42 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-25-2012 09:39 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-25-2012 09:09 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  

Sure. I meant ESPN wouldn't get anything with that offer, lol.

I think they'll get some good chunk of BB, in the end.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 09:44 PM by TripleA.)
08-25-2012 09:43 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-25-2012 09:19 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Looks like option 2 from all the talk, that I have been hearing and reading. 07-coffee3
I don't think anybody believes one network is going to take everything. We can get more by splitting it up. The only question is whether we field full bids on everything first, and then split it up later, or let multiple networks bid together, or just say everybody go at it.
08-25-2012 09:47 PM
Advertisement

KingFu Offline
Banned

I Root For: U of Memphis
Here's my opinion on what might happen.

NBC gets tiers 1, 2 and 3 rights for football, tier 1 for basketball for weekends on the main network and NBCSN, ESPN gets tier 2 and gets to keep Big Monday and week games. CBS gets tier 3 for basketball. And NBC will develop the Big East Network.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 09:57 PM by KingFu.)
08-25-2012 09:57 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-25-2012 09:47 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 09:19 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Looks like option 2 from all the talk, that I have been hearing and reading. 07-coffee3
I don't think anybody believes one network is going to take everything. We can get more by splitting it up. The only question is whether we field full bids on everything first, and then split it up later, or let multiple networks bid together, or just say everybody go at it.

I would think that full bids would be the starting point---thats how the Pac-12 started and that where the original bid form ESPN began. If nobody is where the Big East thinks it should be---thats were the hired guns start earning thier paycheck.

My honest belief is that the package will be split---but that NBC will end up with the lions share of it. That said--the negotiating process will not be just about money. Dont be surprised if games on NBC's flagship station are not our only big time exposure. If played right, splitting the package could net us lucrative time slots on better platforms---say ESPN rather than ESPN-U for instance or maybe TNT (a network with wider distribution than ESPN)--or with Aresco's connections---perhaps even a weekley slot on CBS over the air. I honestly believe very exciting times are ahead for the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 10:04 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-25-2012 09:57 PM
thatsnotgrass Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BEast!!!!
Why would NBC just want football only Big East? If they are going hard after the Big East, they want the biggest prize and thats the Big East basketball conference.
08-25-2012 09:58 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-25-2012 09:57 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 09:47 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

I would think that full bids would be the starting point---thats how the Pac-12 started and that where the original bid form ESPN began. If nobody is where the Big East thinks it should be---thats were the hired guns start earning thier paycheck.
Yep, I agree. That's what the OP was asking in this thread, but somehow, people veered off into predicting which networks will get what.

We already have a thread for that. It is stickied at the top, lol.

This thread is about HOW it will go out to bid, and what the process might be.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 10:00 PM by TripleA.)
08-25-2012 09:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.