08-23-2012 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Aresco on the radio in Houston this morning
Is this the interview where Aresco says the NFL Network is interested in BE TV rights?
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 10:06 AM by TripleA.)
08-23-2012 10:06 AM
Philipvarg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Univ of Houston
Yup this is the interview
08-23-2012 10:07 AM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
(08-23-2012 10:06 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Is this the interview where Aresco says the NFL Network is interested in BE TV rights?

they were reported to have been interested in the ACC rights, no? (or maybe it was pac, but their name has been out there before).

with Bevilaqua saying Turner in one of the interviews linked on here, I'd say it is only a matter of time before we start hearing fox/fx and others.

I think the NFL network could be a good choice for 3rd tier content - with 14 teams, you could have a mid week game on espn, sat on peacock nbc, 2-3 games on nbc cable, 2-3 games on nfl network.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 10:23 AM by monty.)
08-23-2012 10:13 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
More networks bidding for the Big East = a higher television contract in the end. Competition is good. If we only had one or two options available then the networks would have more leverage at the negotiating table. I hope even more networks enter the race.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 10:17 AM by CliftonAve.)
08-23-2012 10:16 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-23-2012 10:13 AM)monty Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 10:06 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Is this the interview where Aresco says the NFL Network is interested in BE TV rights?

they were reported to have been interested in the ACC rights, no? (or maybe it was pac, but their name has been out there before).

with Bevilaqua saying Turner in one of the interviews linked on here, I'd say it is only a matter of time before we start hearing fox/fx and others.

I think the NFL network could be a good choice for 3rd tier content - with 14 teams, you could have a mid week game on espn, sat on peacock nbc, 2-3 games on nbc cable, 2-3 games on nfl network.
I don't recall about the ACC/NFLN thing. And I think Fox's name has already been thrown into the mix, although it's questionable how deep they get involved, unless they put the national sports network idea into high gear with the Speed Channel.
08-23-2012 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
Bottom line, there appear to be quite a few networks interested in Big East content. The argument that ESPN can simply set the market by throwing out a low ball offer doesnt really hold water in an environment with this many potential bidders.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 11:04 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-23-2012 11:02 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-23-2012 11:02 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Bottom line, there appear to be quite a few networks interested in Big East content. The argument that ESPN can simply set the market by throwing out a low ball offer doesnt really hold water in an environment with this many potential bidders.

Its all about LIVE SPORTS PROGRAMMING...and in college sports, Big East is the last major conf for the next 4-6 years that will be taking their product/tv contract to the open market....so its NOW or NEVER for some networks.
08-23-2012 11:11 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
A few new things popped up in this interview.

The NFL Network. He didn't really say the NFL Network would bid on the BE, he just said the NFL Network is "out there," among others. I'm sure he's thinking that they might bid, but he wasn't that specific.

He backed way off on expanding to 14 teams, and even about BYU and AFA, as candidates. He said 13 in FB was an awkward number for scheduling, so they might consider going to 14, lol. He admitted we had talked to BYU and AFA, and said he would revisit that once he was in office, but said he didn't want to talk about specific schools who were in conferences now. I'm thinking somebody told him to quit stirring the pot with AFA, lol.
08-23-2012 11:31 AM
jam2112 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
It's the Mike Aresco road show, coming to a Big East city near you!

Memphis...check
Orlando...check
Houston...check
Who's next?

All kidding aside, I love that he's doing this. I'm getting very excited for what's coming next year.
08-23-2012 11:43 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(08-23-2012 11:43 AM)jam2112 Wrote:  It's the Mike Aresco road show, coming to a Big East city near you!

Memphis...check
Orlando...check
Houston...check
Who's next?

All kidding aside, I love that he's doing this. I'm getting very excited for what's coming next year.

I believe he's been in San Diego as well. And Cinci?
08-23-2012 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Dimwhit Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
Wonder when he'll be in Boise.

And the NFL Network thing is something I would never even have considered. But it does make sense as a 2nd or 3rd tier provider.
08-23-2012 11:57 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-23-2012 11:48 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 11:43 AM)jam2112 Wrote:  It's the Mike Aresco road show, coming to a Big East city near you!

Memphis...check
Orlando...check
Houston...check
Who's next?

Not that I am aware of. Would have to say no at this point.
Again our local radio hosts suck @college sports reporting.
08-23-2012 12:09 PM
Footballjunky Offline
Water Engineer

I posted on the SDSU board a long time ago about the NFL network being a great option for some CF games (that was when I suggested SDSU go independantand using foxSD and the NFL channel for TV). Imaging having the NFL guys talking about the potential of certain players playing at the next level. It would be a great to hear that type of insite from the NFL guys. Also the players would eat it up. The NFL channel needs live content on off days just as much as the next guy does.
08-23-2012 12:21 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I don't think we get NFL network with Time Warner cable, for me that would be a huge issue. I still prefer ESPN and NBC over NFL network. Fox would be interesting too.
08-23-2012 12:29 PM
monty Offline

(08-23-2012 10:43 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

I don't recall about the ACC/NFLN thing. And I think Fox's name has already been thrown into the mix, although it's questionable how deep they get involved, unless they put the national sports network idea into high gear with the Speed Channel.

I googled it since I thought maybe I was dreaming it up and found this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...t-to-nfln/

John Ourand and Michael Smith of SportsBusiness Journal report that the ACC has “reached out” to NFL Network regarding the possible purchase of the conference’s broadcasting rights for “a package” of its football games.

I thought it was the other way around with the NFL bidding (it might have been and this report is just off), but it at least shows a possibility there.
08-23-2012 12:36 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-23-2012 12:36 PM)monty Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 10:43 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

I googled it since I thought maybe I was dreaming it up and found this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...t-to-nfln/

John Ourand and Michael Smith of SportsBusiness Journal report that the ACC has “reached out” to NFL Network regarding the possible purchase of the conference’s broadcasting rights for “a package” of its football games.

I thought it was the other way around with the NFL bidding (it might have been and this report is just off), but it at least shows a possibility there.
Good find. I don't think that has been talked about much on boards, or in the media. I wonder if anything ever came of that effort?
08-23-2012 12:49 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-23-2012 12:09 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Memphis...check
Orlando...check
Houston...check
Who's next?

Yeah not sure who would squeeze him in with all the Reds and Bengals coverage monopolizing all discussion on the airwaves. Maybe Mo Egger?
08-23-2012 12:53 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-23-2012 12:53 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 12:09 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Memphis...check
Orlando...check
Houston...check
Who's next?

Yeah not sure who would squeeze him in with all the Reds and Bengals coverage monopolizing all discussion on the airwaves. Maybe Mo Egger?
My guess, Sunday with Ken Broo (hope Ken is doing ok these days)
08-23-2012 02:00 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
I can see Temple grad Anthony Gargano having him on in Philly...he's the only local guy who takes Temple athletics semi-seriously.

Has Aresco been on with that yooge yooge gentleman on WFAN in New York yet?
08-23-2012 02:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.