Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who will be the CAA's new all sports members?
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
This is a few days old but I never saw it posted here.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...k-progress

The CAA intends to add a few more all sports programs to their 10 football and 9 other/all sports members.

In 2013, they will have :
Football
-----
JMU
Richmond
Towson
W&M
Delaware
Villanova
Maine
New Hampshire
Albany
Stony Brook
(maybe Rhode Island if they don't leave or leave and come back.)

All other sports:
-----
JMU
GMU
Towson
W&M
Delaware
UNC-W
Drexel
Hostra
Northeastern

Maybe one of the reasons JMU hasn't jumped to the MAC is because they feel loyalty to the CAA and don't want to leave them with less than 8 football members until Albany and Stoney Brook join and less than 9 other sports members.

More importanty though, who will be the new all sports members that they intend to add? Could Appalachian State be an option? They keep doing feasibillity studies on jumping to FCS and keep deciding not to go. CAA football is seriously weakened by the loss of ODU but is still probably the best FCS football conference.
So, who's next for the CAA?
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 08:35 AM by ChrisLords.)
08-13-2012 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Who will be the CAA's new all sports members?
College of Charleston and Davidson are rumored to be announced in October to be olympic sports members. That's all I've heard.
08-13-2012 09:19 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(08-13-2012 08:22 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Maybe one of the reasons JMU hasn't jumped to the MAC is because they feel loyalty to the CAA and don't want to leave them with less than 8 football members until Albany and Stoney Brook join and less than 9 other sports members.

More importanty though, who will be the new all sports members that they intend to add? Could Appalachian State be an option? They keep doing feasibillity studies on jumping to FCS and keep deciding not to go.
1) there is no loyalty in conference realignment, and I would hope our admin isn't so stupid that they'd pass on opportunities just to let their current conference "have time to find replacements" out of courtesy. you have to leave when the getting is good. The previous president Rose was vehemently opposed to I-A football and said so on multiple occasions. New President Alger has taken over since July 1st and there have been no murmurs from the admin since his first day. It's been silence.
2) app state has tried aggressively to join both CUSA and Sun Belt, but both conferences have denied them solely because of their tv market and physical location. apparently 26.2k average and pretty good national recognition for their 3 straight titles and historic win over michigan mean nothing to these deadbeat conferences.
app state has tried everything to go fbs, but the neverending markets debate is the only reason why new teams are going fbs today.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 09:25 AM by Dukes09.)
08-13-2012 09:23 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(08-13-2012 09:19 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  College of Charleston and Davidson are rumored to be announced in October to be olympic sports members. That's all I've heard.

That would help with the arguement to bring back Rhode Island for football. I figured any new additions would probably be all sports and in the south. Adding 2 non-football schools won't affect Rhode Islands too much travel arguement.
08-13-2012 11:11 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(08-13-2012 09:23 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  
(08-13-2012 08:22 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Maybe one of the reasons JMU hasn't jumped to the MAC is because they feel loyalty to the CAA and don't want to leave them with less than 8 football members until Albany and Stoney Brook join and less than 9 other sports members.

More importanty though, who will be the new all sports members that they intend to add? Could Appalachian State be an option? They keep doing feasibillity studies on jumping to FCS and keep deciding not to go.
1) there is no loyalty in conference realignment, and I would hope our admin isn't so stupid that they'd pass on opportunities just to let their current conference "have time to find replacements" out of courtesy. you have to leave when the getting is good. The previous president Rose was vehemently opposed to I-A football and said so on multiple occasions. New President Alger has taken over since July 1st and there have been no murmurs from the admin since his first day. It's been silence.
2) app state has tried aggressively to join both CUSA and Sun Belt, but both conferences have denied them solely because of their tv market and physical location. apparently 26.2k average and pretty good national recognition for their 3 straight titles and historic win over michigan mean nothing to these deadbeat conferences.
app state has tried everything to go fbs, but the neverending markets debate is the only reason why new teams are going fbs today.

If Appy State can't move up, which appears to be the case, maybe jumping to a better FCS conference would be attractive. Especially if the Southern Conference loses Davidson and College of Charleston
08-13-2012 11:15 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(08-13-2012 11:15 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-13-2012 09:23 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  

If Appy State can't move up, which appears to be the case, maybe jumping to a better FCS conference would be attractive. Especially if the Southern Conference loses Davidson and College of Charleston

that has always been at the forefront of the CAA/FCS speculation. however, App State's focus is on FBS and nothing else. Until they are forced to look elsewhere (i.e. a rumored 10-year moratorium on FCS/FBS moveups), they will continue to pursue that goal. If and only if they are forced to remain FCS for several years, then they may look to join the best FCS conference in the country, the CAA. If they grab SoCon conference rivals in Davidson, CoC and possibly others, then that would only further motivate App State to consider the CAA ONLY AFTER the FBS is not a realistic option for multiple years or a decade.
08-13-2012 11:35 AM
Advertisement

AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
(08-13-2012 09:19 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  College of Charleston and Davidson are rumored to be announced in October to be olympic sports members. That's all I've heard.

Why wait?
08-13-2012 11:57 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
IMO they should add schools from new york or new england (maybe new jersey) so northeastern and hofstra arent as isolated.
The MAAC has some small schools could they (or another league)be up to the challenge? Marist, Fairfield, Siena, Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Bryant... Monmouth?
08-13-2012 08:51 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
Some rumors mention Central Connecticut.
08-13-2012 10:53 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(08-13-2012 10:53 PM)RUfan03 Wrote:  Some rumors mention Central Connecticut.

Jmu and Delaware fans are wondering if Yeager is trying to make us leave faster, which is fine by me. It's move to stabilize your conference in a region with the assumption that your two big schools are going to eventually leave.
08-13-2012 11:00 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
It's really amazing to watch the conference move from a majority southern conference to an almost completely northern conference.
08-13-2012 11:48 PM
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(08-13-2012 09:23 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  2) app state has tried aggressively to join both CUSA and Sun Belt, but both conferences have denied them solely because of their tv market and physical location. apparently 26.2k average and pretty good national recognition for their 3 straight titles and historic win over michigan mean nothing to these deadbeat conferences.

App state was left out of CUSA because of over saturation in NC. Charlotte was always going to comeback to the league whenever they started football because of their connections with the league and their profile.

The win vs Michigan is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Is it a nice story? yes. Do you invite a team to move up a level and into your conference because of it? no, that would be stupid and short sighted.

FCS titles are also rather meaningless as no one but die-hard football fans or fans of the fcs really care about them.

And can you really count on 26K showing up after a few 2 and 3 win seasons?

App State is already at its ceiling of potential, which is why CUSA passed over them. The conference was looking longterm and all of the teams added provide more longterm growth and potential than App State.
08-14-2012 01:11 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(08-14-2012 01:11 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(08-13-2012 09:23 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  2) app state has tried aggressively to join both CUSA and Sun Belt, but both conferences have denied them solely because of their tv market and physical location. apparently 26.2k average and pretty good national recognition for their 3 straight titles and historic win over michigan mean nothing to these deadbeat conferences.

App state was left out of CUSA because of over saturation in NC. Charlotte was always going to comeback to the league whenever they started football because of their connections with the league and their profile.

The win vs Michigan is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Is it a nice story? yes. Do you invite a team to move up a level and into your conference because of it? no, that would be stupid and short sighted.

FCS titles are also rather meaningless as no one but die-hard football fans or fans of the fcs really care about them.

And can you really count on 26K showing up after a few 2 and 3 win seasons?

App State is already at its ceiling of potential, which is why CUSA passed over them. The conference was looking longterm and all of the teams added provide more longterm growth and potential than App State.

Lol you added a nonexistent team over a proven power. I'll take actual over potential any day of the week. Reasoning like this is what's wrong with college football and that's just my opinion.
08-14-2012 05:55 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Yeager might want Appalachian State, but if that school is solely focused on FBS, it makes no sense to jump to another FCS league and then lock into an unnecessary $1 million exit fee when the FBS invitation finally arrives. That money would be better spent dominating the SoCon and improving facilities over the next few years.

The next rumored candidate to join the CAA alongside Charleston and Davidson is Elon, which would be nothing more than a warm body, not moving the meter one bit in either football or basketball. I have also heard rumors that Northeastern, Hofstra, and Drexel want a basketball school from New England to occupy the 12th spot.

Central Connecticut might slide in as a football-only member in that situation, if they can place other sports in America East, which probably means Hartford would have to be the New England basketball school. Not sure how the other CAA teams might feel about them. Otherwise maybe UNC Greensboro could slip in as number 12.
08-14-2012 02:35 PM
RecoveringHillbilly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo, WVU
(08-14-2012 02:35 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  I have also heard rumors that Northeastern, Hofstra, and Drexel want a basketball school from New England to occupy the 12th spot.

Central Connecticut might slide in as a football-only member in that situation, if they can place other sports in America East, which probably means Hartford would have to be the New England basketball school. Not sure how the other CAA teams might feel about them. Otherwise maybe UNC Greensboro could slip in as number 12.

If it's a Northern non-FB CAA add, Siena, Vermont, or even Binghamton would be more attractive than Hartford.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 09:31 PM by RecoveringHillbilly.)
08-14-2012 09:31 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2012 09:31 PM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  
(08-14-2012 02:35 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  I have also heard rumors that Northeastern, Hofstra, and Drexel want a basketball school from New England to occupy the 12th spot.

If it's a Northern non-FB CAA add, Siena, Vermont, or even Binghamton would be more attractive than Hartford.

Sure why not? They've already got New Hampshire and Maine as football onlys, might as well add Vermont and fill in the footprint. It could lead to some of the northern football onlys becoming full members down the road.
08-14-2012 09:58 PM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
Why would Vermont want that type of Olympic sport travel, when its in the center of its current conference, with short bus rides to all but one member of the AE.
08-14-2012 10:09 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
If the three northern basketball schools are really pushing for a non-football partner, they will want a private just like themselves, otherwise they could have simply let Albany or Stony Brook or Central Connecticut join as a full member in the first place.

That would seem to rule out Vermont and Binghamton. As for a school like Siena, would they leave the MAAC and a close-knit group of similar Catholic schools, for a CAA that could possibly unravel down the road? NEC privates are also unlikely targets.
08-15-2012 12:50 AM
RecoveringHillbilly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo, WVU
The word was Stony Brook turned down an all-sports CAA offer, so the Northern teams would apparently take either private or public.

Siena fits well in the CAA potentially as they have the best BB facility in the MAAC, draw better than most mid-majors, and bring a decent market. They also take LAX success seriously. They do lag in institutional and academic profiles to many other potential CAA members, though.
08-15-2012 01:47 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
If Stony Brook and Albany are getting some push back from joining the CAA why doesn't the CAA look at UM-Baltimore County.

UMBC is on the fringe of AEast territory and would be more amenable to joining up with Towson and George Mason in a conference.

The AEast can then strike back by adding Northeastern. Once that happens the CAA could take things in an even more southernly direction.
08-15-2012 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.