Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Origins" How You Came To Be A Road Runner!! "Beep-Beep!"
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
Origins" How You Came To Be A Road Runner!! "Beep-Beep!"
I have a feeling that UTSA's going to be one of the underrated fan bases in Conference USA. Was wondering how many of you eventually became fans of UTSA? These ought to be some pretty unique origin stories, I was amazed at how some UAB fans became members of Blazer Nation, would love to hear your stories, please.
08-06-2012 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RowdyRunnerRowd Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
RE: Origins" How You Came To Be A Road Runner!! "Beep-Beep!"
Native San Antonian who wanted to go to UTSA.2009 grad who fell in love with the university and the women. Beautiful school all the way around and growing to be the next great Texas university. Roadrunner till the day I die. Mess with my city or school then I will for sure be messing with you. ROWDY RUNNERSSSS FOR LIFE!
08-07-2012 09:56 AM
Deuce Offline
2nd String

Mom graduated in '79. I used to go to class with her sometimes, and I remember there were only a few buildings on campus at that point. My stepdad graduated the same day she did, but they didn't meet until later.

I graduated in '96, and then finished an MBA in '01. My wife went back a few years ago and knocked out a BS and BBA concurrently.

I've been waiting for Roadrunner football for a long time. Glad that it's finally here, and that the city has supported it so well.
08-07-2012 11:31 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2012 09:56 AM)RowdyRunnerRowd Wrote:  Native San Antonian who wanted to go to UTSA.2009 grad who fell in love with the university and the women. Beautiful school all the way around and growing to be the next great Texas university. Roadrunner till the day I die. Mess with my city or school then I will for sure be messing with you. ROWDY RUNNERSSSS FOR LIFE!

03-lmfao!!! 03-thumbsup Terrific story! Thanks, & I definitely hope our paths cross in the first ever sports meeting with UAB, be it football or basketball...
08-07-2012 01:54 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2012 11:31 AM)Deuce Wrote:  Mom graduated in '79. I used to go to class with her sometimes, and I remember there were only a few buildings on campus at that point. My stepdad graduated the same day she did, but they didn't meet until later.

I graduated in '96, and then finished an MBA in '01. My wife went back a few years ago and knocked out a BS and BBA concurrently.

I've been waiting for Roadrunner football for a long time. Glad that it's finally here, and that the city has supported it so well.

Another 03-thumbsup...I remember when you guys had the "Gunslingers" (USFL) and how everyone rooted for them with the same passion as you do the Spurs of the NBA. San Antonio is a city that is just waiting to embrace new sports experiences, & UTSA's deserving of such support. I can't wait until the very first football game with the Blazers & The Roadrunners...Thank you for your wonderful response.
08-07-2012 01:58 PM
Advertisement

UTSA Paratrooper 2004 Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-07-2012 11:31 AM)Deuce Wrote:  Mom graduated in '79. I used to go to class with her sometimes, and I remember there were only a few buildings on campus at that point. My stepdad graduated the same day she did, but they didn't meet until later.

Great story.
08-09-2012 06:44 AM
Bench Warmer

I spent a lot of time training at Ft. Sam Houston while in the army. I met my future wife during that time and learned what a great city San Antonio is. When I was ready to get out I wanted to move here. I applied to UTSA while still in the army.

I feel I received an excellent education from UTSA that helped me start a carreer with one of the best communication companies in the world.

UTSA has intelligent and dedicated leaders. The ladies that attend school there are super hot too.

The Roadrunner football team had a great inaugural season and is quickly building a large and loyal fan base.

My family has 5 degrees from UTSA. I want my children to go there as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 06:53 AM by UTSA Paratrooper 2004.)
08-09-2012 06:52 AM
Deuce Offline
2nd String

(08-09-2012 06:52 AM)UTSA Paratrooper 2004 Wrote:  I spent a lot of time training at Ft. Sam Houston while in the army. I met my future wife during that time and learned what a great city San Antonio is. When I was ready to get out I wanted to move here. I applied to UTSA while still in the army.

I feel I received an excellent education from UTSA that helped me start a carreer with one of the best communication companies in the world.

UTSA has intelligent and dedicated leaders. The ladies that attend school there are super hot too.

The Roadrunner football team had a great inaugural season and is quickly building a large and loyal fan base.

If I have kids, I'll be thrilled if they go to UTSA.

I remember a lot of my high school friends deriding UTSA because there was "no tradition" there. I'm enjoy watching traditions develop. 04-cheers
08-09-2012 09:10 AM
JagRunner Offline
Water Engineer

(08-09-2012 09:10 AM)Deuce Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 06:52 AM)UTSA Paratrooper 2004 Wrote:  I spent a lot of time training at Ft. Sam Houston while in the army. I met my future wife during that time and learned what a great city San Antonio is. When I was ready to get out I wanted to move here. I applied to UTSA while still in the army.

If I have kids, I'll be thrilled if they go to UTSA.

I remember a lot of my high school friends deriding UTSA because there was "no tradition" there. I'm enjoy watching traditions develop. 04-cheers

I can see a huge difference in school pride and tradition after we added football. It's only going to get better. Kids will want to come to UTSA because we now have football and more of a real college experience.
08-09-2012 11:49 AM
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

Re: Origins" How You Came To Be A Road Runner!! "Beep-Beep!"
I applied to UT and Houston, got into Houston and UT offered me the CAP so I would have to choose between any of the UT System schools to do my CAP classes, and since my ex went to UTSA while I was in the Marines, I had already toured the campus in 2007 so I decided to come to UTSA. Fell in loved with it and stayed here. Didn't want to transfer because UT was too big and I didn't want to start over.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
08-09-2012 12:30 PM
El Runner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT & UTSA
I didn't attend UTSA. I graduated from UT. However, I was raised in SA. I always rooted for the college teams in SA. Trinity, UIW and now OLLU. A bunch of my nieces and nephews graduated from UTSA so I always had a special place in my heart for UTSA. I have always followed them moreso than my alma mater. Since football was added, I have really stepped up in checking them out. I have 6 season tickets for football and will be a season ticket holder til the day the good Lord calls on me.
08-09-2012 01:27 PM
Bench Warmer

(08-09-2012 01:27 PM)El Runner Wrote:  I didn't attend UTSA. I graduated from UT. However, I was raised in SA. I always rooted for the college teams in SA. Trinity, UIW and now OLLU. A bunch of my nieces and nephews graduated from UTSA so I always had a special place in my heart for UTSA. I have always followed them moreso than my alma mater. Since football was added, I have really stepped up in checking them out. I have 6 season tickets for football and will be a season ticket holder til the day the good Lord calls on me.

Thanks for your support!!!
08-09-2012 02:22 PM
Deuce Offline
2nd String

(08-09-2012 01:27 PM)El Runner Wrote:  I didn't attend UTSA. I graduated from UT. However, I was raised in SA. I always rooted for the college teams in SA. Trinity, UIW and now OLLU. A bunch of my nieces and nephews graduated from UTSA so I always had a special place in my heart for UTSA. I have always followed them moreso than my alma mater. Since football was added, I have really stepped up in checking them out. I have 6 season tickets for football and will be a season ticket holder til the day the good Lord calls on me.

04-rock this is the first time I've seen a longhorn grad that is a 'runner fan. After all the years of students sporting burnt orange gear on our campus, it's good to see the phenomenon in reverse. 03-lmfao

04-cheers Thanks for supporting UTSA.
08-09-2012 03:45 PM
Advertisement

Rowdy Runner 07 Offline
Water Engineer

That's awesome!
08-09-2012 06:31 PM
Rowdy Runner 07 Offline
Water Engineer

na
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 06:33 PM by Rowdy Runner 07.)
08-09-2012 06:33 PM
JagRunner Offline
Water Engineer

I have my MBA from UTSA.

I went to a small NAIA school for undergrad and my first job out of college was in SA. I went to UTSA for grad school and graduated in 2007. My undergrad is a Jaguar and UTSA is Roadrunners....hence, JagRunner! I follow both of my alma maters.
08-09-2012 06:34 PM
coogr4life Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston & UTSA
I grew up in San Antonio but decided to go to Houston for two reasons. I wanted to move away & they offered the most scholarship/finanical aid. And I've never looked back.

Growing up I was always casual fan of UTSA basketball. When UH took bid to Big East, I started pulling for UTSA to take UH's place in C-USA. Glad it worked out....now go out there and kick the ever living snot out of rice.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 06:52 PM by coogr4life.)
08-09-2012 06:49 PM
Advertisement

Yankee Runner Offline
Bench Warmer

I grew up in NYC and never heard of UTSA. I wasn't really into college football at all. I grew up going to many Yankees games and watching NFL. While I was deployed, my family moved to SA. After I got out, I stayed in NY and attended Queens college for 3 semester but it wasn't working out. Dropped out and decided to move to SA. After a year of partying, I visited the campus and decided to enroll.

I'll admit, I didn't attend a single game of anything UTSA until my junior year. I met my girlfriend and, being college students, we were broke. We started attending volleyball games as a cheap date. $3 popcorn and soda :) then we started attending basketball games and some soccer matches. We got hooked! I have been a runner faithful ever since. I have a BA in philosophy from UTSA and planned on attending law school right after. Those plans are on hold until my girl graduates with a math degree from UTSA as well. At which point, she will be commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the Air Force and then my studies will continue.

Unfortunately, we will have to move out of SA when she becomes an officer, so my attendance will be questionable after 2014. But since I won't be working and only attending law school, I'll make time to keep up any way I can. Cheers Runner family 04-cheers
08-09-2012 07:34 PM
RowdyRunnerRowd Offline
2nd String

Nice Runner Brothers...The time is now to unite and become stronger in numbers and traditions. I say that in the Bain voice...lol...GO RUNNERSSSSSS!
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 12:11 AM by RowdyRunnerRowd.)
08-13-2012 12:11 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I thank you all once again for your contributions to this thread, hope you all have an impact season in 2012.
08-14-2012 08:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.