ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UFL
N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
UFL
It looks like the Virginia Destroyers will get a shot at another season under Marty Schottenheimer. It would be nice to see some of our guys make the team. Wonder where Mayo and Cameron are now?
07-28-2012 05:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: UFL
(07-28-2012 05:21 PM)N2theBlue Wrote:  Wonder where Mayo and Cameron are now?

Special teams for the Calgary Roughriders (playing DeMarco's BC Lions tonight at 9) and Chicago Bears training camp respectively.
07-28-2012 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

07-28-2012 10:19 PM
UDO Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU
Has there ever been a smaller professional sports league?
07-28-2012 10:57 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
UFL released their schedule:

http://ufl-football.com.ismmedia.com/ISM...ELEAS7.pdf

3 home games on Friday Nights, 1 on a Thursday night. Last home game is opening night of basketball season.
08-02-2012 12:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
Hey if you miss the game against Sacramento on Oct 5, don't worry you can catch it when they come back two weeks later on the 19th. 01-wingedeagle
08-02-2012 12:42 AM
Advertisement

ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I had season tics (that means 3 games) to the Destroyers last year as well as ODU. I will attest to the fact the UFL is a very high level of football and a great time.

Not that it should be any different, but the quality of play was light years beyond what we see at ODU. Bigger, faster, stronger.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 07:55 AM by ODU1986.)
08-02-2012 07:54 AM
Monarch Blue Offline
2nd String

The Destroyers' first two games at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex will be Oct. 5 (7 p.m.) and Oct. 19 (9 p.m.), both against the Sacramento Mountain Lions. They also will play at home at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 against the Las Vegas Locos and Nov. 9 against the Omaha Nighthawks, with a 9:30 p.m. kickoff.

Virginia's road games are Sept. 21 at Omaha, Sept. 26 at Las Vegas
08-02-2012 08:42 AM
Monarch Blue Offline
2nd String

The Destroyers' first two games at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex will be Oct. 5 (7 p.m.) and Oct. 19 (9 p.m.), both against the Sacramento Mountain Lions. They also will play at home at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 against the Las Vegas Locos and Nov. 9 against the Omaha Nighthawks, with a 9:30 p.m. kickoff.

Virginia's road games are Sept. 21 at Omaha, Sept. 26 at Las Vegas
08-02-2012 08:42 AM
finalcloud Offline
2nd String

I was impressed with the crowd that the Destroyers got but I was not happy with the traffic it caused. Can't really help that, there is one main entrance to the SportsPlex. I was nearly late for my flag football games!!!! 03-lol
08-02-2012 10:17 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
I'd almost forgotten that the state of Virginia (Hampton Roads, I believe) was up for a UFL team. Wonderful. I'd been wanting Birmingham to get a franchise, but as usual, we're content to sit on the sidelines while "doer" cities get in the game. I know that the network formerly known as "Vs" was televising the games at one time, but I wasn't able to keep up, and I'm wondering if there are going to be any televised games, plus for some reason, the sports networks aren't making any provisions for the league yet, I've not seen a highlight or a score on a sports ticker. Since Birmingham hasn't pushed for a team, I had to root for someone in the UFL, at present, it's the Omaha Nighthawks & Las Vegas Locomotives. The one game I was able to watch when the league first arrived on the scene was very entertaining, it's good football. Glad I ran across this thread, now I can get back into some kind of UFL groove.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 11:45 PM by Matrix.)
08-06-2012 11:44 PM
Advertisement

devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
Every game will be televised by CBS Sports Network.
08-06-2012 11:45 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2012 11:45 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  Every game will be televised by CBS Sports Network.

Wonderful! Thanks, "Yanks!"
08-06-2012 11:46 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2012 10:57 PM)UDO Wrote:  Has there ever been a smaller professional sports league?

Not one that I'm aware of that has lasted as long as this one has.
08-06-2012 11:49 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

Wait a minute! What happened to the Orlando Tuskers? Didn't Hartford have a team? There was a team out on the west coast called the "Redwoods?" Where'd they go?

I do like the idea of the league trying to establish itself in markets like Omaha, Sacramento, Las Vegas & Hampton Roads, areas that will apparently appreciate these teams and support them, not having an NFL team in your area to compete against, I'd think would be a huge plus for this league....I also thought that Salt Lake City and Portland were applying for franchises. Would love to see them get in, and places like Albuquerque, Louisville, Chattanooga, Jackson, San Antonio & I'm willing to bet that if Birmingham's content with sitting on their hands, there's another city in this state that may have enough gumption to go after a team and would support it: Huntsville.

The UFL's got the right idea, working as if this is a marathon instead of a sprint, they've learned from the heartbreaking mistakes of the USFL, which I miss to this day. That was one hell of a football league.
08-07-2012 12:03 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

The old Orlando/Florida Tuskers are now the Virginia Destroyers. The Hartford Colonials were "contracted" or disbanded. The California Redwoods are now the Sacremento Mountain Lions.

Although there are only four teams in this league for now, there is some big money behind them. More importantly, there are some even bigger egos. I suspect this league will survive, albeit as a Triple AAA version of professional football.

The stated goal is to serve large urban areas that are not currently saturated in major league sports competition, so I say go for it UFL. I can tell you first hand the Destroyer games have been a lot of fun and a very entertaining level of football.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 07:55 AM by ODU1986.)
08-07-2012 07:55 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
I don't see why the NFL doesn't use this league as a minor league. Even just through affiliation it would draw more crowds. I have heard that the NFL has been sportive of the league and have encouraged cut players to use the UFL as a way to get back in the league. It would be cool to see all 32 teams have a farm system using cities without an NFL franchise. I.e. sacramento, Norfolk, Vegas, Portland, Louisville, Omaha etc..
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 12:32 PM by Old Dominion Navy.)
08-07-2012 12:31 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

The UFL evolving into an official "farm system" for the NFL would be an interesting development indeed, but here's another angle on it: if each NFL team had a farm team in an "untapped" market, that's another 32 teams to saturate the American football consciousness. Eventually, it could lead to a decrease in demand for NFL tickets, merchandise, and other sources of NFL revenue. I'm not against the idea, but I can see why it hasn't happened yet.
08-07-2012 03:59 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2012 12:31 PM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  I don't see why the NFL doesn't use this league as a minor league. Even just through affiliation it would draw more crowds. I have heard that the NFL has been sportive of the league and have encouraged cut players to use the UFL as a way to get back in the league. It would be cool to see all 32 teams have a farm system using cities without an NFL franchise. I.e. sacramento, Norfolk, Vegas, Portland, Louisville, Omaha etc..

+1...This, I would very much like to see, even if Birmingham is not participating with a franchise.
08-07-2012 05:34 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2012 03:59 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  The UFL evolving into an official "farm system" for the NFL would be an interesting development indeed, but here's another angle on it: if each NFL team had a farm team in an "untapped" market, that's another 32 teams to saturate the American football consciousness. Eventually, it could lead to a decrease in demand for NFL tickets, merchandise, and other sources of NFL revenue. I'm not against the idea, but I can see why it hasn't happened yet.

Interesting observation. Of all the "2nd Tier" leagues that have come and gone, the USFL and WFL were, IMO, the greatest threat to the NFL, & the league knew this.

Had either of the two now-defunct leagues a bit more organization and structure, one of them would either be thriving today independently or a large number of its' members would have been merged into the NFL, same way the NBA did with the ABA & The NHL with the WHA. One thing that kept the WLAF/NFL Europe going as long as it did was that it was controlled by the league itself. If they enter into the same situation with the UFL, perhaps it can indeed work. I want to see more than one football league, and why should all the so-called "major" markets have all the fun? Can't speak for any of the other cities that at least have something like the UFL to look forward to, I for one, would welcome it with open arms, but our sports fans, our media and our so-called leaders are in denial, holding out for some reason, for hope that the NFL or NBA will someday come calling. Too late, that opportunity has come and gone, we squandered it, never prepared for the possibility and we should be grateful if the UFL or AHL wanted to place a team in Birmingham. I'd buy season tickets in a heartbeat.
08-07-2012 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.