Open TigerLinks

Hammer, Meet Penn State Athletic Department
Bookmark and Share
madtiger Offline
Hoops Hater, Shill, and Pro Boot Licker

I Root For: Memphis
Hammer, Meet Penn State Athletic Department
School may "prefer" death penalty

Sanctions to be "unprecedented" will be announced Monday at 9am.

Oh boy.

Boom goes the dynamite
07-22-2012 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
RE: Hammer, Meet Penn State Athletic Department
NCAA must have concluded that administration and football coaching staff put football above decency and common sense.

Lesson is- if football worship is strong enough that university highly paid administrators purposefully suppress information about a staff member being a predator- for decades- then it is a NCAA issue.

There are other places with similar worship.

I would hope that Nick Saban would not use his considerable power to get the Alabama administration to do next to nothing with a pedophile in Tuscaloosa who has used his position to seek out boys. Just a prime example of another place where the worship has gone too far- but at least the danger was limited to some no lifer poisoning trees.

Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, Alabama- seem a bit strong in their idolatry. Of course they have all been really good. The systematic failure at Penn State makes Jim Tressel and Reggie Bush seem near saintly.
07-22-2012 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
madtiger Offline

I'm predicting a major reduction in scholarships for football- at least 15 per year over the next 3 years, a post season ban for 3 years, no TV for 3 years, and no non-conference games for 2-3 years.
07-22-2012 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
Yep, slap on the wrist.
07-22-2012 01:17 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

Agree- something like that.
07-22-2012 01:17 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

Even with that style- the fans will still idolize Paterno as if he is the second coming.
07-22-2012 01:18 PM
Advertisement

BaylorTigerFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
I expect athletes will be allowed to transfer without sitting a year. If the future looks grim enough and enough transfer that will hurt them badly. Still anything less than the death penalty is not enough IMHO.
07-22-2012 01:18 PM
madtiger Offline

(07-22-2012 01:18 PM)BaylorTigerFan Wrote:  I expect athletes will be allowed to transfer without sitting a year. If the future looks grim enough and enough transfer that will hurt them badly. Still anything less than the death penalty is not enough IMHO.

I agree about the transfer. I think that the death penalty might let them off to easy.
07-22-2012 01:19 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

Too many of their fans refuse to acknowledge that it was the worship that enabled the Sandusky garbage to fester.

Even those who recognize that the administration and Paterno were simply wrong- still get the warm fuzzies thinking about the crowds on Saturday and the upset ove Miami- not making the connection that in seeking things like that- the powers abdicated their responsibilities.

This is not giving a kid a car so he will play. That is wrong.

This was catastrophic.
07-22-2012 01:24 PM
ballen Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
It looks like the NCAA is playing hard ball this time.

"This is completely different than an impermissible benefits scandal like (what) happened at SMU, or anything else we've dealt with. This is as systemic a cultural problem as it is a football problem. There have been people that said this wasn't a football scandal," Emmert told PBS. "Well, it was more than a football scandal, much more than a football scandal. It was that but much more. And we'll have to figure out exactly what the right penalties are. I don't know that past precedent makes particularly good sense in this case, because it's really an unprecedented problem."

We will see if they can walk the walk.
07-22-2012 01:32 PM
ballen Offline
All American

DeCourcy is on twitter slamming Emmert for going outside the typical NCAA infractions box.

Michael DeCourcy
‏@tsnmike
Whatever the NCAA decides in regards to bowls, etc., still time for Mark Emmert to avoid disgracing himself by docking scholarships.
07-22-2012 01:47 PM
Advertisement

fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
Bowls and scholarships. They won't tell them to stop playing non-conference games, that is too outside the box on top of not having an infractions hearing.
07-22-2012 01:54 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

DeCourcey has more of a boner for brand name programs than I realized.

Saw nothing wrong with Memphis signees and commits, being recruited to ky, and is hedging on Emmert bringing the PSU coverup under the NCAA umbrella.

Hmmm..football...criminal actions, boy rape, knowledge to the football coach, rapes by a former assistant football coach using Penn State facilities, administration wanting to do something, the head football coach pressuring them not to (blame on them too) because of how it would reflect on sandusky and the football program.

Gee...why would the NCAA think they could bring this under their auspices?

As morbid as this sounds, child rape by a football coach or former coach is indeed none of the university's business and outside the NCAA.

Child rape, knowledge of it at the attention of powers, those powers doing nothing which allowed for more rapes, on campus properties...a bit different Mike.
07-22-2012 02:23 PM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin

No one knows yet for sure but I'm told by #psu official one of the #NCAA sanctions could be taking the wins away from joe pa from 1998 on
07-22-2012 02:24 PM
madtiger Offline

I'd like to see a hammer...but after reading some more on the subject....will likely be a minor scholarship reduction, no bowls for a couple of seasons, and giving up wins from 1998 on.

It will likely be very weak despite initial reports...if that turns out to be true, then it will be even worse than them doing nothing.

Scholarship reductions MUST be more than 15 each year over a 5 year stretch to get the point across. 4 or 5 per year for 2 or 3 years isn't near enough.
07-22-2012 02:25 PM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
We'll see just how the NCAA handles this against a known NCAA powerhouse program.

Will the punishment fit the DELIBERATE crime?

The claim is the penalties are UNPRECENDENTED. Thus, whatever they are...they have never been done before.

So, keeping the SMU punishment in mind, and taking a full scale bonafide death penalty off the table, how about this:
- No TV for FB games for 5 years effective 9-1-12 through 9-1-17.
- no FB home games for 2013 & 14. Any OOC games scheduled to be played at State College will revert to the opponent's field and the payment agreement is unchanged (example - PSU has a buy game with ECU scheduled for September 2014. ECU paid $750,000 for the game. The game is now played in Greenville. No TV.)
- 10 year scholarship reduction to 15 per season effective 12-1-12 (may play with full allotment this season). So for 10 years PSU may have no more than 60 scholarship players on the roster.
- 10 year bowl game ban.
- All football monies earned from 1998 through last year to be donated to child protection agencies by 12-1-12.
- All wins attained from 1998 until last season are vacated.
- No "University sponsored" youth football camps allowed for 5 years. After the 5 year ban, any youth football camps must be monitored by state and local child protection agencies for all activities and hours for the duration, including any overnight stays.
- No member of the football coaching staff may participate in any NON University sponsored youth camp (example - Nike). Ever.
- All junior, sophomore, and freshmen players can transfer without restriction or penalty now through 6-1-13.
- Penn State will be on probabtion for a full decade AFTER the ten year scholarship and bowl ban ends. If any of the above conditions are violated within the designated time period, a full death penalty will be immediately applied.

DOE, and other federal agencies can issue their penalties as well.

B1G can decide if they want to retain Penn State or not.
07-22-2012 02:42 PM
Advertisement

georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(07-22-2012 01:14 PM)madtiger Wrote:  no non-conference games for 2-3 years.

So they'd only play 8 games??
07-22-2012 02:43 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

If they only eliminate the victories, then pat themselves on the back for this really big punishment- that would be something.
07-22-2012 02:48 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
DeCourcy is flat wrong. I can think of nothing that is too much punishment for what Penn State allowed to happen.
07-22-2012 03:06 PM
madtiger Offline

(07-22-2012 02:42 PM)boss man Wrote:  We'll see just how the NCAA handles this against a known NCAA powerhouse program.

Will the punishment fit the DELIBERATE crime?

The claim is the penalties are UNPRECENDENTED. Thus, whatever they are...they have never been done before.

So, keeping the SMU punishment in mind, and taking a full scale bonafide death penalty off the table, how about this:
- No TV for FB games for 5 years effective 9-1-12 through 9-1-17.
- no FB home games for 2013 & 14. Any OOC games scheduled to be played at State College will revert to the opponent's field and the payment agreement is unchanged (example - PSU has a buy game with ECU scheduled for September 2014. ECU paid $750,000 for the game. The game is now played in Greenville. No TV.)
- 10 year scholarship reduction to 15 per season effective 12-1-12 (may play with full allotment this season). So for 10 years PSU may have no more than 60 scholarship players on the roster.
- 10 year bowl game ban.
- All football monies earned from 1998 through last year to be donated to child protection agencies by 12-1-12.
- All wins attained from 1998 until last season are vacated.
- No "University sponsored" youth football camps allowed for 5 years. After the 5 year ban, any youth football camps must be monitored by state and local child protection agencies for all activities and hours for the duration, including any overnight stays.
- No member of the football coaching staff may participate in any NON University sponsored youth camp (example - Nike). Ever.
- All junior, sophomore, and freshmen players can transfer without restriction or penalty now through 6-1-13.
- Penn State will be on probabtion for a full decade AFTER the ten year scholarship and bowl ban ends. If any of the above conditions are violated within the designated time period, a full death penalty will be immediately applied.

DOE, and other federal agencies can issue their penalties as well.

B1G can decide if they want to retain Penn State or not.

I'd like this a lot, but current indications are that it will be much, much less than that.
07-22-2012 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.