NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State
07-22-2012 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State
Now let's see if the NCAA has any teeth...

If they don't have any teeth, do they plan to gum Penn State to death? 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 08:25 AM by bitcruncher.)
07-22-2012 08:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
Quick thoughts (I'm a PSU alum but hardly a Paterno apologist, one who mainly lurks around these boards, FWIW):

(1) This HAS to be something both PSU and the NCAA are aligned upon. There's no way it's not. The NCAA does have a "process" and there's no way they would risk a lawsuit by not going through one.

(2) Cancelling the 2012 season at this point would be a logistical disaster w/ the season beginning in 5 1/2 weeks. I don't think that's on the table.

(3) The "death penalty" for football is not "unprecedented." We'll see what "unprecedented" means (getting the boot from the NCAA entirely??) --- but I tend to think it's not the football death penalty.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 08:43 AM by NittanyLion.)
07-22-2012 08:42 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

In other words, you think the NCAA has no teeth and will gum Penn State to death... 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 08:45 AM by bitcruncher.)
07-22-2012 08:44 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
I'm torn on this one because I do not feel the football program as a whole should be punished for what some old farts who are no longer with the program has done. And not to even mention how the other programs not associated with this henious act will be punished as well. That being said, if they shutdown the football program (which I believe will happen), they should allowed the current players to leave the program and join other programs immediately. And current coaches should be paid their salaries and also allowed to seek other opportunities as well.
07-22-2012 08:49 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Penn St has to promise to never ever ever do this again and then go to bed without supper! Also no TV or video games for a week! Oh, and wait a few weeks before cashing that big check they'll get from sponsoring a child rapist supporting fb program
07-22-2012 08:52 AM
Advertisement

bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
The "Empty Stadium" rule that European soccer has used on occasion?
07-22-2012 08:57 AM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(07-22-2012 08:57 AM)bronconick Wrote:  The "Empty Stadium" rule that European soccer has used on occasion?

That would be unique --- and on first glance, I sort of like it --- nice original idea.
07-22-2012 08:58 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
https://twitter.com/schadjoe

Quote:Mark Emmert was granted authority to punish PSU in unprecedented manner by NCAA Board and Committee

Penn State facing loss of bowl/s and scholarships, but not so-called death penalty

Penn State sanctions expected to be extremely harsh and could even be perceived as more damaging long-term than "death penalty"

Thee sanctions were not self-imposed or negotiated. This is Emmert taking a stand he felt he had to due to horrors in Freeh Report.
07-22-2012 09:03 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I think everyone knows the penalties are not self-imposed. From what I can see, the only change Penn State made on their own was to redecorate the scene of the crimes...
07-22-2012 09:06 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Reading the tea leaves:

1 PSU doesn't get the "Death Penalty" .

2 PSU x amount Schollies across the board for an x amount of years, postseason ban for sports across the board for x amount of years, and possible TV ban for x amount of years.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 09:17 AM by ClairtonPanther.)
07-22-2012 09:16 AM
Advertisement

bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Has the NCAA even tried a TV ban since their monopoly got broken up by the Supreme Court? I don't know if that's something they could actually enforce.
07-22-2012 09:24 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(07-22-2012 09:03 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  https://twitter.com/schadjoe

Quote:Mark Emmert was granted authority to punish PSU in unprecedented manner by NCAA Board and Committee

Penn State facing loss of bowl/s and scholarships, but not so-called death penalty

Penn State sanctions expected to be extremely harsh and could even be perceived as more damaging long-term than "death penalty"

Thee sanctions were not self-imposed or negotiated. This is Emmert taking a stand he felt he had to due to horrors in Freeh Report.

This sounds to me that it could be a 10 year Bowl-Scholarship Ban for the program. That would be devastating to program trying to compete the B1G.

If Penn State loses football scholarships would they have to drop to FCS? And play as a non-scholarship program there for a decade?
07-22-2012 09:34 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I like the idea of a bowl ban for each year they hid these crimes.
07-22-2012 09:38 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(07-22-2012 08:25 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Now let's see if the NCAA has any teeth...

If they don't have any teeth, do they plan to gum Penn State to death? 07-coffee3

I knew a young lady once that would gum you to death! 03-phew
07-coffee3
07-22-2012 09:42 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I'm just glad that they've finally gotten around to announcing some sort of penalty. Although 7 months is fast for the NCAA, most NCAA punishments wait so long to take place that people are unable to associate the punishment with the crime.
07-22-2012 10:01 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I remember when schools had honor codes and even see an honor code violation and not reporting it made you as guilt as the person that committed the violation.

I remember when your grades were importanr. When your moral conduct as an athelic had to be the highest in your school. I remember when you were expected to a school and community leader. A role model for the youth.

It seems to me some where along the line over the last 50 years that all this was kicked to the curve and PSU is just the tip of the ice-bergh of what has happed to so calles amature sports! Shame on America, shame on all of us! 07-coffee3
07-22-2012 10:11 AM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies
(07-22-2012 10:11 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I remember when schools had honor codes and even see an honor code violation and not reporting it made you as guilt as the person that committed the violation.

I remember when your grades were importanr. When your moral conduct as an athelic had to be the highest in your school. I remember when you were expected to a school and community leader. A role model for the youth.

It seems to me some where along the line over the last 50 years that all this was kicked to the curve and PSU is just the tip of the ice-bergh of what has happed to so calles amature sports! Shame on America, shame on all of us! 07-coffee3

Great post. The NCAA has a perfect opportunity right now to make a statement by severely punishing Penn State and unc-ch for their blatant and flagrant violations. They have the opportunity to set a new benchmark for college athletics if they choose to. If they fail to set such a benchmark, we will have verification that they indeed don't have any desire to rein in a system that has frankly gotten out of control.....these two schools have set the ball on the tee - it is up to the NCAA to make a correct and decisive swing.
07-22-2012 10:34 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Unprecedented in the Penn State Case: Two teams will get the death penalty

Slippery Rock and Lehigh
07-22-2012 10:46 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Football penalties aside, PSU will pay huge amounts of money to the victims. There was a report about how much money was donated to PSU before the report by Freeh came out. It will be interesting to see if people keep on sending their money in now they know the truth.
07-22-2012 11:03 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.