Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blakeney Not Happy With NCAA Rule
Bookmark and Share
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Blakeney Not Happy With NCAA Rule
http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/201...t|Sports|s

USA has put together a 23-4 record over three seasons against beatable opponents. In the meantime, it has taken advantage of a loophole to get the upper hand in recruiting, especially against in-state foe Troy.

USA did not initially declare itself an NCAA program, but rather a club sport. So the players it signed in the 2009 and 2010 classes were allowed to play college games as freshmen without it counting as a season of eligibility. The players’ five-year clock of eligibility started because they enrolled at USA, but they will essentially play five seasons of college football games rather than four.

The incentive was used by USA to beat schools like Troy in recruiting certain players. Blakeney did not find the strategy very amusing.

“I think it’s bullcrap, myself,” Blakeney said. “Anything that gives one school an advantage in recruiting like that should not be there. We’ve lost some players to them because of that. But the main thing is the game.”

USA’s first conference game will be at home against Troy on Sept. 29.

“It will be a rivalry in this state, and I expect (the stadium) will be full. They’ve done a great job of developing fans because they haven’t played anybody that they couldn’t beat for two years,” said Blakeney, with a hint of sarcasm. “That made everybody happy. I thought it that was brilliant.”

So maybe the warm and fuzzy feeling wasn’t toward all member schools. And perhaps it shouldn’t be. After all, this is college football
07-19-2012 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: Blakeney Not Happy With NCAA Rule
(07-19-2012 11:39 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/201...t|Sports|s

USA has put together a 23-4 record over three seasons against beatable opponents. In the meantime, it has taken advantage of a loophole to get the upper hand in recruiting, especially against in-state foe Troy.

USA did not initially declare itself an NCAA program, but rather a club sport. So the players it signed in the 2009 and 2010 classes were allowed to play college games as freshmen without it counting as a season of eligibility. The players’ five-year clock of eligibility started because they enrolled at USA, but they will essentially play five seasons of college football games rather than four.

The incentive was used by USA to beat schools like Troy in recruiting certain players. Blakeney did not find the strategy very amusing.

“I think it’s bullcrap, myself,” Blakeney said. “Anything that gives one school an advantage in recruiting like that should not be there. We’ve lost some players to them because of that. But the main thing is the game.”

“It will be a rivalry in this state, and I expect (the stadium) will be full. They’ve done a great job of developing fans because they haven’t played anybody that they couldn’t beat for two years,” said Blakeney, with a hint of sarcasm. “That made everybody happy. I thought it that was brilliant.”

So maybe the warm and fuzzy feeling wasn’t toward all member schools. And perhaps it shouldn’t be. After all, this is college football

I personally think the NCAA rule is a good one for startups. Those first two classes couldn't have been stock full of FBS quality guys, why not give them another year?

I can where see Blakeney would be upset though. Looks like this will add some fire to our first game.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 12:00 PM by TroyFootball05.)
07-19-2012 11:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
This game will be the highest attended game in the conference.... There could very well be 40k there at that game.
07-19-2012 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
Blakeney upset about a rule ? Until a recent rule change wasn't he offering and getting committments from 30 plus people a year & then helping non-qualifiers park in a JC ? Wondering if that particular rule change has any effect on Troy recruiting ?
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 12:06 PM by MG61.)
07-19-2012 12:05 PM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

(07-19-2012 12:05 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Blakney upset about a rule ? Until a recent rule change wasn't he offering and getting committments from 30 plus people a year & then helping non-qualifiers park in a JC ? Wondering if that particular rule change has any effect on Troy recruiting ?

Nope. We're still hauling in a lot of talent. Not much has changed.
07-19-2012 12:06 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
IIRC, I think Ga Southern back in the mid-80s did something of the same thing, playing club ball, for a year or two. Served them well and I think several of their key players were eligible for social security after they finally exhausted their football eligibility.
07-19-2012 12:08 PM
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(07-19-2012 12:08 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  IIRC, I think Ga Southern back in the mid-80s did something of the same thing, playing club ball, for a year or two. Served them well and I think several of their key players were eligible for social security after they finally exhausted their football eligibility.

03-lmfao
07-19-2012 12:10 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-19-2012 11:39 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/201...t|Sports|s

Shot across the bow?

[Image: ORD_GQM-163A_Coyote_Test_lg.jpg]
07-19-2012 12:25 PM
TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
I love it when coaches actually speak their mind. That is one thing I really like about CLB, he doesn't hold back sometimes- see the halftime interview at Navy last year.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 12:28 PM by TrojanNation.)
07-19-2012 12:27 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
I think the SBC is going to need another good rivalry game. USA vs Troy sure seems to be shaping up that way.
07-19-2012 12:33 PM
reddot Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
"I think it’s bullcrap, myself,” Blakeney said. “Anything that gives one school an advantage in recruiting like that should not be there. We’ve lost some players to them because of that."

AWWWWWW. Thanks for pointing that out Larry. Wouldn't want that to happen.
07-19-2012 12:34 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
We will be fine... Just Blakeneys name alone brings in talent.
07-19-2012 12:42 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(07-19-2012 12:34 PM)reddot Wrote:  "I think it’s bullcrap, myself,” Blakeney said. “Anything that gives one school an advantage in recruiting like that should not be there. We’ve lost some players to them because of that."

wasn't troy using some kind of apr exemption for awhile......that would give his school an advantage in recruiting?

the same thing he's crying like a schoolgirl about now?

sounds like some skeered to me. already making excuses if god forbid south al gives 'em any kind of a game.

i thought i remembered some really back and forth threads how troy was beating the system. of course all the troy folks claimed it was innocent.

did i just make-remember that up?
07-19-2012 01:02 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Blakeney is a trip. Always good for a quote.
07-19-2012 01:12 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
I wish that moron would shut the hell up.

I'm so tired of him being at Troy.
07-19-2012 01:13 PM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

(07-19-2012 01:02 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(07-19-2012 12:34 PM)reddot Wrote:  "I think it’s bullcrap, myself,” Blakeney said. “Anything that gives one school an advantage in recruiting like that should not be there. We’ve lost some players to them because of that."

wasn't troy using some kind of apr exemption for awhile......that would give his school an advantage in recruiting? i thought i remembered some really back and forth threads how troy was beating the system. of course all the troy folks claimed it was innocent.

Dahbeed, of course the Troy fans claimed its innocence. No one could ever find any proof so why would Troy fans back it? Show me a link and we'll see what's up. A few well thought posters have always said that if Troy ever had APR exemptions, they never helped Troy much. So while Blakeney might be "whining" a little bit, it seems like much of the board was whining about how Troy was beating their ass and needed an excuse to justify why they couldn't beat Troy. The top dog always gets the most flack, and at the time, we were top dog.
07-19-2012 01:14 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

(07-19-2012 01:13 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  I wish that moron would shut the hell up.

I'm so tired of him being at Troy.

Morons don't win five straight titles, but to each his own I guess...
07-19-2012 01:17 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Hahahaha. I was thinking the same thing dahbeed was thinking about their APR exemption lol
07-19-2012 01:18 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(07-19-2012 01:14 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(07-19-2012 01:02 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  

wasn't troy using some kind of apr exemption for awhile......that would give his school an advantage in recruiting? i thought i remembered some really back and forth threads how troy was beating the system. of course all the troy folks claimed it was innocent.

Dahbeed, of course the Troy fans claimed its innocence. No one could ever find any proof so why would Troy fans back it? Show me a link and we'll see what's up. A few well thought posters have always said that if Troy ever had APR exemptions, they never helped Troy much. So while Blakeney might be "whining" a little bit, it seems like much of the board was whining about how Troy was beating their ass and needed an excuse to justify why they couldn't beat Troy. The top dog always gets the most flack, and at the time, we were top dog.

I'm not sure if if was an APR exemption.... it was something about being able to get kids into school that couldn't get into other programs in the Belt. Something about "learning disabled", since they were allowed at Troy (the university) had to be allowed to play football.

I don't know if it was true or not. I know that once at Troy, the players had to meet all requirements other players made academically... thus satisfying the APR.

I think this is how the MT folks explained it to me, when I asked them (when the topic was hot here on this board). I think there was at least one other SBC school that had the same setup.

Again.... this is what I heard. Not fact. Not opinion.

At the same time, I think it was used as our program as an excuse after getting their arses whipped by Troy time and time again.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 01:22 PM by KAjunRaider.)
07-19-2012 01:21 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
That rule hasn't helped USA in two years so why in the heck is it suddenly a burr in his saddle now? And it is true that there were only a few BCS level guys in those first two classes (who weren't transfers) so I doubt there is too much of an advantage in giving them the extra year. I was always mystified why Ga State and UTSA didn't do the same thing.
This really smells to me like LB is just trying to lay the groundwork for a the rivalry...and I'm all for it.
BTW, Troy can expect to lose a lot more recruiting battles to USA now than they ever did in 2009 and 2010.
07-19-2012 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.