Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

El Paso Ballpark acquisition is running its course according to former team owner
Bookmark and Share
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
El Paso Ballpark acquisition is running its course according to former team owner
07-15-2012 06:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
RE: El Paso Ballpark acquisition is running its course according to former team owner
(07-15-2012 06:59 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  El Paso Times Link

Sounds good. Any word on the all purpose arena that was supposed to be downtown?
07-15-2012 09:25 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline

RE: El Paso Ballpark acquisition is running its course according to former team owner
Mista has a better handle on that topic than I do. I think it is part of the $600M quality of life bond vote in November. It seems it is an all-or-none deal with the quality of life bond, by lumping them all into one voting item.

As for the location, I don't know what sites are being considered. Maybe Mista can chime in on that.

Maybe someone can add the list of the items that are being considered.
07-15-2012 10:37 PM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

(07-15-2012 10:37 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  Mista has a better handle on that topic than I do. I think it is part of the $600M quality of life bond vote in November. It seems it is an all-or-none deal with the quality of life bond, by lumping them all into one voting item.

As for the location, I don't know what sites are being considered. Maybe Mista can chime in on that.

I remember reading somewhere that they were to knock down the abraham chavez theater and have the arena built in its place. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
07-15-2012 10:40 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(07-15-2012 10:40 PM)Pyrizzo Wrote:  
(07-15-2012 10:37 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  Mista has a better handle on that topic than I do. I think it is part of the $600M quality of life bond vote in November. It seems it is an all-or-none deal with the quality of life bond, by lumping them all into one voting item.

I remember reading somewhere that they were to knock down the abraham chavez theater and have the arena built in its place. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

You are correct
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2012 11:18 PM by randaddyminer.)
07-15-2012 11:18 PM
MinerTime Offline
Special Teams

I can't wait til this gets done, we need this to renovate our downtown and give us a triple a team to get excited about. I would also love to see a Miner team playing there one day.

I also hope the bonds pass in November.
07-15-2012 11:39 PM
Advertisement

RUNVSFD MINER Offline

Check out this article. I found the posts below the article interesting.
So, if the Padres back out, El Paso likely still gets a team?

SB NATION AAA Padres link

BTW, I didn't know the Tuscon-Padres were known as the T-Pads. They sound absorbent.
07-16-2012 10:21 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline

And we thought we had a bunch of negative nancys in El Paso....
http://dynamic.azstarnet.com/comments/vi...s for 2014

These guys have given up on Tucson altogether.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 10:29 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
07-16-2012 10:27 PM
SWFootballFan Offline
Special Teams

Most of the negative feedback is the Soccer Stadium on the bond election. Most are saying wouldn't it be cheaper to just put grass in the Sun Bowl than build a new soccer stadium.
07-16-2012 11:51 PM
MinerTime Offline
Special Teams

(07-16-2012 10:21 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  Check out this article. I found the posts below the article interesting.
So, if the Padres back out, El Paso likely still gets a team?

SB NATION AAA Padres link

BTW, I didn't know the Tuscon-Padres were known as the T-Pads. They sound absorbent.
Yeah we would still get a team. There are only 30 teams in Triple-A leagues so if the Padres were to back out, then another MLB team would step in.

(07-16-2012 11:51 PM)SWFootballFan Wrote:  Most of the negative feedback is the Soccer Stadium on the bond election. Most are saying wouldn't it be cheaper to just put grass in the Sun Bowl than build a new soccer stadium.
The soccer stadium has been taken out of the bond issues for this November, so they shouldn't even worry about that now. The downtown arena is still there, but they decided to wait and see if we can secure an MLS team first before deciding on building a new soccer stadium.

An MLS team would easily work in El Paso, I hope the soccer stadium gets built one day but IMO that would probably be like 5+ years away.
07-17-2012 12:58 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

(07-16-2012 10:27 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  And we thought we had a bunch of negative nancys in El Paso....
http://dynamic.azstarnet.com/comments/vi...s for 2014

These guys have given up on Tucson altogether.

funny, they're complaining because the stadium wasn't built downtown and the debbie downers in el paso are complaining about it being built downtown.
07-17-2012 07:57 PM
Advertisement

chuwy9 Offline
Bench Warmer

Quote:
(07-16-2012 11:51 PM)SWFootballFan Wrote:  Most of the negative feedback is the Soccer Stadium on the bond election. Most are saying wouldn't it be cheaper to just put grass in the Sun Bowl than build a new soccer stadium.
The soccer stadium has been taken out of the bond issues for this November, so they shouldn't even worry about that now. The downtown arena is still there, but they decided to wait and see if we can secure an MLS team first before deciding on building a new soccer stadium.

An MLS team would easily work in El Paso, I hope the soccer stadium gets built one day but IMO that would probably be like 5+ years away.

The SB, while awesome for football, isn't really that nice for soccer.

While I would love an MLS team, I think an NASL (Division 2) is what EP will end up with.
07-18-2012 09:00 AM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline

(07-18-2012 09:00 AM)chuwy9 Wrote:  
Quote:

While I would love an MLS team, I think an NASL (Division 2) is what EP will end up with.

What cities is the NASL in?
What type of crowds do they attract?
07-18-2012 07:35 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

(07-18-2012 07:35 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  
Quote:

San Antonio Scorpions, Puerto Rico Islanders, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Minnesota Stars, FC Carolina RailHawks, Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Atlanta Silverbacks, FC Edmonton and I think they are adding the NY cosmos and another canadian team.

They only average about 3k per game.
07-18-2012 08:54 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline

(07-18-2012 08:54 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(07-18-2012 07:35 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  
Quote:

San Antonio Scorpions, Puerto Rico Islanders, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Minnesota Stars, FC Carolina RailHawks, Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Atlanta Silverbacks, FC Edmonton and I think they are adding the NY cosmos and another canadian team.

They only average about 3k per game.

Cosmos huh... Do they walk around with feather boas, yelling "fabulous"?
07-19-2012 01:27 AM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline

BTW
I'm not a huge fan of Buzz on the Q in the morning. But he keeps knocking the Triple A idea. I wish that dipsheyat would just STFU on it.

Damn, I miss my satellite radio.
07-19-2012 01:30 AM
Advertisement

MinerTime Offline
Special Teams

(07-19-2012 01:30 AM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  BTW
I'm not a huge fan of Buzz on the Q in the morning. But he keeps knocking the Triple A idea. I wish that dipsheyat would just STFU on it.

He's been talking crap again? I can't stand that guy, I know a lot of people like him but man I think he sucks. I download and listen to my Kevin and Bean (LA's KROQ morning show) podcasts because I can't stand hearing Buzz just try and rile people up and get ratings with the BS he talks about.
07-19-2012 03:50 AM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

(07-19-2012 01:30 AM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  BTW

That's disappointing, but not surprising coming from buzz. But don't diss the morning show just yet, living 2000 miles away, listening to the morning show with my iphone hooked up to my car radio is refreshing and reminds me of El Paso too much to ignore.
07-19-2012 07:12 AM
chuwy9 Offline
Bench Warmer

I thought Buzz was on vacation? Anyways, I'd ignore him, he just likes to get under people's skin as much as possible. The morning show ain't that bad IMO.
07-19-2012 11:09 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

buzz is kind of funny sometimes, but other than that, he really has nothing to say. The only way he can get people to pay attention to him is by being the "attention whore" type, kind of like fitbud, but funny sometimes.
07-19-2012 02:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.