Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ernest Borgnine dies
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Sad Ernest Borgnine dies
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24353/r...t-borgnine

He had a long career but I remember him most as Dominic Santini in Airwolf.
07-08-2012 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Ernest Borgnine dies
Marty was my introduction to Ernest Borgnine. But it was McHale's Navy that most folks remember...
07-09-2012 06:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(07-08-2012 08:01 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24353/r...t-borgnine

He had a long career but I remember him most as Dominic Santini in Airwolf.

Same here, most of his other stuff was a bit before my time.
07-09-2012 08:24 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

A moment of silence for the best tv theme song EVER!

07-09-2012 11:47 AM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
Loved the man in Airwolf, that was the show during my time.
07-09-2012 12:20 PM
SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion
A few years ago, he told the secret to old age...

07-09-2012 05:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I see your Airwolf and raise: http://roflcoptershow.ytmnd.com
07-10-2012 05:19 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

He didn't do a bad job as the records keeper in the movie "Red"...
[Image: Frank-Moses-Wilis-asks-a-favour-from-Hen...rgnine.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 06:47 AM by bitcruncher.)
07-10-2012 06:46 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
The part that stands out for me is Sgt Fatso Judson in From Here to Eternity. A terrific bad guy.

[Image: BORGNINE-ETERNITY.jpg]

(07-09-2012 11:47 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  A moment of silence for the best tv theme song EVER!

I will never understand your affinity for that abomination of a show.

And off the top of my head, several tv themes that are orders of magnitude better than Airwolf:
Peter Gunn:

The Pink Panther (sure, a cartoon that was originally a movie, and another from Henry Mancini, but it's freaking brilliant!):

Mission Impossible (yes, youngsters, it was a tv show first):

Johnny Quest (another cartoon, but REALLY good):

Finally, maybe not as classic sounding as those above, but very good (and an emotional favorite because I loved watching these re-runs as a kid), F Troop:

I know Torch has got to be with me on at least some of these...
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 01:09 PM by Brookes Owl.)
07-10-2012 01:09 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Lowell George, who later founded the group "Little Feat," used to make appearances on F-Troop playing his guitar and singing. Here he is with the Bed Bugs...

07-10-2012 01:56 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-10-2012 05:19 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I see your Airwolf and raise: http://roflcoptershow.ytmnd.com

Using ROFLCOPTER for their death thread?
07-10-2012 03:30 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-10-2012 01:09 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 11:47 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  A moment of silence for the best tv theme song EVER!

And off the top of my head, several tv themes that are orders of magnitude better than Airwolf:

Not saying your choices are bad but Airwolf's is more bad ass.

C'mon dude.... super attack helicopter.... spy element ... military corruption element.... It owns. It was better than Blue Thunder!

As for other themes....

Hunter (rock version) was awesome.

Knight Rider was awesome.

I liked the theme to Dallas.
07-10-2012 03:33 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2012 03:33 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

C'mon dude.... super attack helicopter.... spy element ... military corruption element.... It owns. It was better than Blue Thunder!

So much to hate about what you've written; where to start... Look, I'll grant the show's "elements" may have been good, but don't we also have to consider execution? Borgnine, RIP, was NOT good but that pales in comparison to JMV, one of the stiffest actors of all time. And better than a terrible movie (BT)? Faint praise indeed. Finally, you list a lot of things that have nothing to do with the theme song, which I don't understand. How can you call ANYTHING, EVAR, more bad ass than Peter Gunn, let alone Airwolf's cheap casio tones? 03-pissed

Quote:As for other themes....

Hunter (rock version) was awesome.

Knight Rider was awesome.

I liked the theme to Dallas.

I thought it was kind of meh, but because I grew up a LA Rams fan, and Fred Dryer was one of the guys I tried to emulate in back yard football, I'll give you kudos on Hunter. Knight Rider? OK. Dallas? Totally agree; good one.
07-10-2012 04:09 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-10-2012 04:09 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 03:33 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

So much to hate about what you've written; where to start... Look, I'll grant the show's "elements" may have been good, but don't we also have to consider execution? Borgnine, RIP, was NOT good but that pales in comparison to JMV, one of the stiffest actors of all time. And better than a terrible movie (BT)? Faint praise indeed. Finally, you list a lot of things that have nothing to do with the theme song, which I don't understand. How can you call ANYTHING, EVAR, more bad ass than Peter Gunn, let alone Airwolf's cheap casio tones? 03-pissed

You watched it FOR JMV and EB? See, that is why you don't like it.... you are supposed to watch it to see how awesome Airwolf, the helicopter, is. And FWIW, we are judging themes not the actual show.
07-10-2012 04:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The best was Al Hirt playing the Flight of the Bumblebee for Green Hornet TV show's theme. IMO nothing since has come close...

07-10-2012 04:43 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2012 04:24 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  You watched it FOR JMV and EB? See, that is why you don't like it.... you are supposed to watch it to see how awesome Airwolf, the helicopter, is. And FWIW, we are judging themes not the actual show.

Oh, man, I knew I was gonna regret getting into this with you. I've got that "getoffamylawn" feeling... 03-old

So, you're saying the footage that accompanies the theme song is relevant to your enjoyment of the song itself? Otherwise I'm not sure why you list those other "elements."

I get it. You watched Knight Rider for Kitt, Airwolf for the helicopter, Dukes of Hazzard for the, well, nevermind. I was gonna say the General Lee but I'm pretty sure we all watched for Catherine Bach and those shorts. Anyway, I'm rambling but it appears you are willing to spend your entertainment dollars and time on shiny things. I blame the movie Independence Day.
07-10-2012 04:55 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2012 04:43 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The best was Al Hirt playing the Flight of the Bumblebee for Green Hornet TV show's theme. IMO nothing since has come close...

Wow. That has to be on the list. That's an incredible solo, and as a trumpet player I'm a little embarrassed that I only recognize it from Kill Bill (aside from the obvious homage to Rimsky-Korsakov).
07-10-2012 05:09 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-10-2012 01:09 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  I know Torch has got to be with me on at least some of these...

Scary that you know me that well. I was just scrolling through your list and in full agreement. The Airwolf theme starts as just generic techno music. Mancini's works are definitely better.

Yes, I'm a fan of Johnny Quest (but a bigger Speed Racer fan), and I do dig the opening theme.
07-11-2012 05:55 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-10-2012 04:55 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we all watched for Catherine Bach and those shorts.

03-yes
07-11-2012 05:56 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-10-2012 04:55 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 04:24 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  You watched it FOR JMV and EB? See, that is why you don't like it.... you are supposed to watch it to see how awesome Airwolf, the helicopter, is. And FWIW, we are judging themes not the actual show.

Oh, man, I knew I was gonna regret getting into this with you. I've got that "getoffamylawn" feeling... 03-old

So, you're saying the footage that accompanies the theme song is relevant to your enjoyment of the song itself? Otherwise I'm not sure why you list those other "elements."

I get it. You watched Knight Rider for Kitt, Airwolf for the helicopter, Dukes of Hazzard for the, well, nevermind. I was gonna say the General Lee but I'm pretty sure we all watched for Catherine Bach and those shorts. Anyway, I'm rambling but it appears you are willing to spend your entertainment dollars and time on shiny things. I blame the movie Independence Day.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

I can't lie that Kitt was a huge part of Knight Rider All Black Trans Am with all the gadgets of a Bond car.... But we all know it was The Hoff that sold that show 03-shhhh05-stirthepot

Hey now, The General Lee was important to The Dukes of Hazard... but she wasn't a bad bonus.04-rock
07-11-2012 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.