Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Broke ACC school cancels 7 sports programs
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
OT: Broke ACC school cancels 7 sports programs
Almost bankrupt ACC Member Univ of Maryland cancels 7 sports programs trying to off-set a $4 Million deficit this year and an expected $17 Million deficit by 2017.

Maryland cuts seven sports on 'sad day' in College Park

By Mark Giannotto, Published: July 2

More than six months after Maryland revealed plans to eliminate eight athletic programs

as a way to overcome a multimillion-dollar deficit, Athletic Director
Kevin Anderson officially announced Monday that seven of those teams
were unable to raise the necessary money for survival.

See link for complete article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mar...s_colleges
07-03-2012 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: OT: Broke ACC school cancels 7 sports programs
LMFAO! With the money that the ACC gets, any program in that league that goes broke doesn't get any sympathy from me.

And, for those who want to call hypocrisy on me, I say the same about my own school, that we should be a hell of a lot more solvent with a BE paycheck (ask any other UC poster). But, any ACC school has far less of an excuse.
07-03-2012 12:12 PM
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
Not to many people care enough for Maryland athletics. Maryland is clustered in an area with many college and pro choices.
07-03-2012 12:21 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(07-03-2012 12:21 PM)cardshouse Wrote:  Not to many people care enough for Maryland athletics. Maryland is clustered in an area with many college and pro choices.

While pro sports are big in DC...college sports...from Big East Hoops, ACC Hoops to Va Tech/UVA/Maryland Football, all still take a nice share of the pie.
07-03-2012 12:29 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
But the ACC is a big boy conference, failing athletic programs and all, right?
07-03-2012 12:32 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(07-03-2012 12:21 PM)cardshouse Wrote:  Not to many people care enough for Maryland athletics. Maryland is clustered in an area with many college and pro choices.

I wouldn't say that. Maryland is CLEARLY the college of choice for most all college sports fans in the state. However college sports are followed in a bandwagon since - i..e if you are good, people pay attention, if not, they don't.
07-03-2012 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(07-03-2012 12:59 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  I wouldn't say that. Maryland is CLEARLY the college of choice for most all college sports fans in the state. However college sports are followed in a bandwagon since - i..e if you are good, people pay attention, if not, they don't.

Having been there too much, I'd argue that most of the DC region supports their home school and nothing local. No Georgetown, Maryland, GW... but instead you see VT, WVU, or a whole host of other schools (hell, I used to see UC gear on a regular basis). So few homegrown grads is the problem there.
07-03-2012 01:07 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(07-03-2012 01:07 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(07-03-2012 12:59 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  I wouldn't say that. Maryland is CLEARLY the college of choice for most all college sports fans in the state. However college sports are followed in a bandwagon since - i..e if you are good, people pay attention, if not, they don't.

Having been there too much, I'd argue that most of the DC region supports their home school and nothing local. No Georgetown, Maryland, GW... but instead you see VT, WVU, or a whole host of other schools (hell, I used to see UC gear on a regular basis). So few homegrown grads is the problem there.

Maryland was 3rd in ACC Conf Hoop Game attendance last year (approx 15,000 per game) which is slightly down from their recent past.
07-03-2012 01:43 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
This is pathetic.
07-03-2012 02:12 PM
Advertisement

Footballjunky Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SDSU
When things like this happen I always ask myself; if the university can't manage its own business affairs how in the hell can they teach a kid anything about finance, business or accounting if they go and mess up this bad. I know the answer is that they are just academics and the real world is a different animal but at least make it look like you have a clue as to how to run a program or manage a business. At the end of the day that is what these athletic departments really are.
07-03-2012 02:32 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
if they're keeping outdoor mens track, how much more could it cost to throw in indoor track and xcountry. Most of the athletes and coaches would overlap
07-03-2012 05:37 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
[Image: 357sz1.jpg]
07-03-2012 05:43 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(07-03-2012 01:07 PM)mlb Wrote:  

I went Maryland for three years, and lived in Baltimore for four years afterward. I can speak from experience.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 06:12 PM by adcorbett.)
07-03-2012 07:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
I'm surprised that baseball survived the cut.
07-03-2012 07:38 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Guys, they have 27 sports. That's like Ohio State level. Most schools sponsor 14-18 sports. It's not so much a revenue problem or mismanagement, as much as they've just over expanded over time. I'd bet they'll be in the black with these cuts. If they're not once they get down to 20 sports, then they deserve plenty of criticism for not managing costs.
07-03-2012 07:57 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
Hilarious. They're cutting sports with the paychecks they're getting from the conference.

Meanwhile, Big East teams are spending additional money to build new facilities.

Remind me again how they're better than us.
07-03-2012 08:01 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(07-03-2012 07:57 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Guys, they have 27 sports. That's like Ohio State level. Most schools sponsor 14-18 sports. It's not so much a revenue problem or mismanagement, as much as they've just over expanded over time. I'd bet they'll be in the black with these cuts. If they're not once they get down to 20 sports, then they deserve plenty of criticism for not managing costs.

Only if their revenues soar...as it looks if the rosiest outlook would be for a balanced budget in 2015 (if revenues increase), otherwise, as noted in the article:

17-member panel last November that called for the school to eliminate eight athletic programs to offset a deficit that is projected to reach more than $4 million this fiscal year and could top $17 million by 2017.

Its much more than just eliminating those minor sports at Maryland...as they still need a lot of new $$$$ just to get back to break even as cost cuts alone won't do it.
07-04-2012 06:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.