Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho Statesman: How much will Boise State's travel costs go up in the NBE?
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/07...rylink=cpy

Quote:By Brian Murphy
bmurphy@idahostatesman.com

Boise State is planning to move its football program to the Big East in 2013, a move the Broncos confirmed Saturday when they officially withdrew from the Mountain West (effective June 30, 2013).

The reasons for (and against) the move have been debated over and over. But I wanted to examine one specific talking point in this post: travel costs.

The State Board of Education recently approved Boise State's contract with Frontier Airlines for charter flights for the 2012 season. Frontier also served as the school's airline in 2010 and 2011. The one-year agreement with Frontier includes school options to renew the contract for up to four one-year terms.

In 2010, Boise State $400,781 for six regular-season charter flights. That year, the Broncos played road games in in Washington, D.C. (Virginia Tech); Laramie, Wyo.; Las Cruces, N.M. (New Mexico State); San Jose (San Jose State); Moscow, Idaho; and Reno, Nev.

In 2011, Boise State paid $512,596 for six regular-season charter flights The breakdown: Georgia, $123,569; Toledo, $107,123; Fresno State, $72,570; Colorado State (Fort Collins), $62,100; UNLV, $69,429; San Diego State, $77,805. The increase was attributed to destination changes and an increase in fuel costs.

In 2012, Boise State will pay $494,062 for five regular-season games. The Hawaii game will be contract separately. The per-game cost has increased approximately 15% from 2011 due to fuel prices, according to the State Board agenda. The contract includes a fuel cost escalator cause.

Here is the breakdown:

Opponent (City flying to): Cost

Michigan State (Lansing): $128,171

New Mexico (Albuquerque): $82,328

Southern Miss (Hattiesburg): $130,851

Wyoming (Laramie): $72,963

Nevada (Reno): $79,749

In future Big East seasons, Boise State will need flights to San Diego, Houston, Dallas (SMU), Tampa (South Florida), Orlando (Central Florida), the New York City area (Rutgers), Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, the Baltimore area (Navy), Philadelphia (Temple) and Connecticut.

Let's assume that a flight to any of those destinations and Hawaii cost $130,851 — the same as a flight to Hattiesburg, the most expensive trip on Boise State's schedule this year.

(It will likely to be cheaper to get to major Eastern cities than it is to get to Hattiesburg, but stick with me here.)

If all six flights cost $130,851, Boise State would pay $785,106 for charter flights.

This season — again assuming the Hawaii flight is the same as a flight to Hattiesburg — Boise State will spend $624,913 in charter flights.

The difference: $160,193.

That's a pretty insignificant amount for an athletic department with a budget of more than $30 million and one that is expecting a significant increase in conference television revenue by joining the Big East.

And the difference would be less if:

a.) It is cheaper to fly to larger Eastern cities than it is to fly to Hattiesburg, Miss.

b.) It is more expensive to fly to Hawaii than it it is to fly to Hattiesberg, Miss.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 01:37 PM by anothertigerfan.)
07-02-2012 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: Idaho Statesman: How much will Boise State's travel costs go up in the NBE?
Great find 04-bow It doesn't seem as if the Broncos will be "gerrymandering" any more than they are already.
07-02-2012 01:41 PM
Dimwhit Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
THANK YOU!!!

All these idiots writers harping on the huge travel costs Boise is going to incur have been driving me crazy! I love seeing it broken down like this.
07-02-2012 01:46 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Its a little late now. It will cost them $20 million to leave now. 03-phew
07-02-2012 01:54 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-02-2012 01:54 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Its a little late now. It will cost them $20 million to leave now. 03-phew

I suspect Boise already had this figured out. Anyone who really thought about it knew it wouldnt be that much more because its only 6 trips. I'd be more curious to see the increases for all-sports members Houston and SMU. My guess is, its not all that much more than the travel required for CUSA play and that those marginally increased costs are far out-weighed by the increased income from being a BE all-sports school.

BTW Wilkie---I think it still only costs Boise 5 million to back out. Saturdays deadline didnt mean anything to thier Big East contract. Had they not declared thier intention to leave the MW, they would have had to pay the MW 7.5 million to join the BE in 2013 rather just 2.5 million.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 02:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-02-2012 02:06 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Football travel costs never were the issue. - it is the travel costs for the other sports.
07-02-2012 02:13 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-02-2012 02:13 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Football travel costs never were the issue. - it is the travel costs for the other sports.
Yep, and that's why it makes sense to put Boise's Olympic sports in the Big West, and not in the Big East.
07-02-2012 03:27 PM
Advertisement

votecarcetti Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The SDSU
Nice article. It's been a familiar refrain among Aztec fans skeptical of the move (and MWC naysayers) that the boost in TV money won't matter because OMG travel costs!

It's great to see that the difference between Big East travel and MWC travel is about half of what we paid to secure a home game with Nicholls State two years ago.
07-02-2012 03:34 PM
BoiseAlum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise
(07-02-2012 02:06 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  I suspect Boise already had this figured out. Anyone who really thought about it knew it wouldnt be that much more because its only 6 trips.

And it's really not 6 "long" trips either. Only 4 in conference road games each year. The 2 out of conference road games will likely be scheduled much closer to home in the future.

So a typical road game schedule in the future for Boise might look like...
UCF, Cin, Houston, SDSU, BYU, UW.

Compare that to our 2009 road game schedule of...
Fresno, Bowling Green, Tulsa, Hawaii, Utah St, La Tech... and you'll see that our travel will go up very little. Likely less than what Murph calculated in his article.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 03:44 PM by BoiseAlum.)
07-02-2012 03:43 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-02-2012 03:43 PM)BoiseAlum Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 02:06 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  I suspect Boise already had this figured out. Anyone who really thought about it knew it wouldnt be that much more because its only 6 trips.

And it's really not 6 "long" trips either. Only 4 in conference road games each year. The 2 out of conference road games will likely be scheduled much closer to home in the future.

So a typical road game schedule in the future for Boise might look like...
UCF, Cin, Houston, SDSU, BYU, UW.

Compare that to our 2009 road game schedule of...
Fresno, Bowling Green, Tulsa, Hawaii, Utah St, La Tech... and you'll see that our travel will go up very little. Likely less than what Murph calculated in his article.

Right. Plus Boise could compensate some by scheduling closer OOC games to even further minimize the difference..
07-02-2012 03:49 PM
Advertisement

DeacKillsaDevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WFU, UGA, UCF
(07-02-2012 01:46 PM)Dimwhit Wrote:  THANK YOU!!!

All these idiots writers harping on the huge travel costs Boise is going to incur have been driving me crazy! I love seeing it broken down like this.

If its only one team, no big deal. If its your entire athletic department, that's a different story. You probably don't get charter rates for teams that are not the same size as a football team. However, due to Title IX you have at least as many scholarships as the football team.
07-02-2012 03:55 PM
BoiseAlum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise
(07-02-2012 03:55 PM)DeacKillsaDevil Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 01:46 PM)Dimwhit Wrote:  THANK YOU!!!

If its only one team, no big deal. If its your entire athletic department, that's a different story. You probably don't get charter rates for teams that are not the same size as a football team. However, due to Title IX you have at least as many scholarships as the football team.

Which is exactly why Kustra didn't want to be in the BE all sports.
Then the travel costs would have been significant!
07-02-2012 04:59 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
great article...and surprising to me as well....
07-04-2012 11:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.