Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big West To Vote On Boise State By September
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Big West To Vote On Boise State By September
http://www.idahostatesman.com/...oise-state.html

"[UC-Santa Barbara AD Mark] Massari told the Santa Barbara News-Press last week that Boise State may have to pay more than just travel subsidies to earn enough votes. He said, however, the odds are better than 50-50 that Boise State ends up in the Big West.

The league was Boise State’s conference home from 1996 to 2001.

By publicly acknowledging their discussions with the league and setting a target for a final vote, the Broncos have set expectations that a return to the league is likely.
And an end to their conference shuffle is in sight."
07-02-2012 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dimwhit Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
RE: Big West To Vote On Boise State By September
I wonder what other money they're wanting from us. An annual fee, or just an entrance fee? And I'm curious as to how much they want, too.
07-02-2012 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BoiseAlum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise
(07-02-2012 12:27 PM)Dimwhit Wrote:  I wonder what other money they're wanting from us. An annual fee, or just an entrance fee? And I'm curious as to how much they want, too.

I'm expecting an annual travel subsidy of 350-400k. And a one time entrance fee of 500-800k. More than that and I'll be surprised (disappointed in the extortion).
07-02-2012 12:47 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
If it's a foregone conclusion Boise State will be in the Big West, I guess this is no big deal. But, from what I have read, I haven't been under the impression that the BW is a done deal for them, or even close to it. Given that, it seems this needs to move with much more urgency than "by September".

No difference from the BE POV, I guess, since they have given notice. But, I just get the impression there is still much to do from their perspective.
07-02-2012 12:50 PM
Advertisement

Dimwhit Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-02-2012 12:47 PM)BoiseAlum Wrote:  I'm expecting an annual travel subsidy of 350-400k. And a one time entrance fee of 500-800k. More than that and I'll be surprised (disappointed in the extortion).

Yeah, the Big West knows we have very limited options, so they're working us. I suspect the Big East has offered to help with money to get us. I could see it being over a million.
07-02-2012 12:56 PM
Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2012 12:56 PM)Dimwhit Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 12:47 PM)BoiseAlum Wrote:  I'm expecting an annual travel subsidy of 350-400k. And a one time entrance fee of 500-800k. More than that and I'll be surprised (disappointed in the extortion).

Yeah, the Big West knows we have very limited options, so they're working us. I suspect the Big East has offered to help with money to get us. I could see it being over a million.
Dimwhit, I see you are getting tired of the MWCboards. Me too. But I can understand the Big West asking for money. Their programs have been cut to the bone. Hawaii pays about $5-600,000 a year, I believe and unless we can bring in Fresno or UNLV with us as a BE/BW partner, ours could be as high or higher. In defense of the Big West they are a bus league who cannot afford to fly to Boise when they can barely afford to bus an hour or two now to play local teams. They don't have football programs to support their sports.

If we wanna play, we gotta pay. Its just business, not personal, and to accuse them of extortion, etc, could earn us an UNinvite and a possible trip to the Big Sky.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 03:04 PM by Road Apple.)
07-02-2012 03:02 PM
Dimwhit Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-02-2012 03:02 PM)Road Apple Wrote:  Dimwhit, I see you are getting tired of the MWCboards. Me too. But I can understand the Big West asking for money. Their programs have been cut to the bone. Hawaii pays about $5-600,000 a year, I believe and unless we can bring in Fresno or UNLV with us as a BE/BW partner, ours could be as high or higher. In defense of the Big West they are a bus league who cannot afford to fly to Boise when they can barely afford to bus an hour or two now to play local teams. They don't have football programs to support their sports.

If we wanna play, we gotta pay. Its just business, not personal, and to accuse them of extortion, etc, could earn us an UNinvite and a possible trip to the Big Sky.

Yeah, the MWC boards are a cesspool.

And I agree, I understand why they're asking for money. The certain deserve travel subsidies so it doesn't cost them more money. Beyond that, I even get asking for an entrance fee. We are essentially asking them to bail us out. The amount they're asking, however, would determine (to me, anyway) if they're being fair or unduly greedy. I'll be curious to hear the final number.
07-02-2012 03:16 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
if i was Boise:

pay the entrance fee...

match the Hawai'i travel fee...

pay a one time fee of 900k to the Big West to offset initial expenses. (100k per school, no need to pay SDSU)

agree to a higher exit fee...

that SHOULD get you 8 yes votes.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 03:20 PM by UofMemphis.)
07-02-2012 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I agree with paying a reasonable amount of money to the BWC. Just not sure why it will take until September to decide.
07-02-2012 03:21 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(07-02-2012 03:21 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I agree with paying a reasonable amount of money to the BWC. Just not sure why it will take until September to decide.

I hope it's something like BW want "A" and BSU is offering "B"...the two are pretty close, and they think it can be worked out soon.

i assume Sept was picked so BSU can focus on TV contract negotiations?
07-02-2012 03:25 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-02-2012 03:25 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 03:21 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I agree with paying a reasonable amount of money to the BWC. Just not sure why it will take until September to decide.

I hope it's something like BW want "A" and BSU is offering "B"...the two are pretty close, and they think it can be worked out soon.

i assume Sept was picked so BSU can focus on TV contract negotiations?
No, the BWC picked that date to be "before their school semester starts."
07-02-2012 03:28 PM
SleepingGiantsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU

My speculation is the clue is in the term "final" vote.

The BW has made it pretty clear it isn't particularly interested in Boise joining. So the BW presidents have given Boise their last, best offer and Boise asked for some time to consider it, or assure it can get the BE to help pay it or whatever. In the meantime, I have to think Boise will be in contact with NMSU, Idaho, Seattle and Denver to see if there's any chance of salvaging the WAC.
07-02-2012 06:12 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(07-02-2012 06:12 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote:  I have to think Boise will be in contact with NMSU, Idaho, Seattle and Denver to see if there's any chance of salvaging the WAC.

If I were a Boise fan, I would be just as happy in the WAC.
07-03-2012 07:59 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Boise State should have been trying to salvage the WAC all along instead of stalking the Big West like a bunch of depraved maniacal psychos. I know the WAC will have an issue with sports sponsorship going forward, but I see no reason the NCAA wouldn't grant a waiver, buying the remaining and future schools enough time to sync their offerings.
07-04-2012 04:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.