Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Now can we finally start fretting over BYU again?
Cooglius Caeser Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
Now can we finally start fretting over BYU again?
03-lmfao

Seriously. On the CDOA board they're linking twitters mentioning BYU is back in play.
07-01-2012 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
RE: Now can we finally start fretting over BYU again?
What is CDOA?
07-01-2012 08:03 AM
Oceana Tiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Instead of CUSA its CDOA. dead on arrival. Or i just made that up to satisfy myself
07-01-2012 08:04 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
I think Boise fully on board helps our cause. They need to start making calls to Provo on our behalf.
07-01-2012 08:46 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
They have plenty of time. BYU will wait and see how the next couple of years work out for Big East in tv negotiations and playoff,bowl access and revenues.
It won't happen until 2013 at the earliest
07-01-2012 08:53 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
We need to do everything we can do to get BYU. This is business, and everything is negotiable. If getting BYU means giving some small concession to them, we need to do it. Then we would have:

WEST

Memphis
SMU
Houston
Boise
BYU
SDSU
Navy

EAST

UConn
Rutgers
Temple
Cincinnati
Louisville
USF
UCF

But Navy may not like being in the western division without Air Force. So I'd like to get Air Force & Fresno, then slide Memphis to the East. That way, we get:

1) a two-team presence in California (in both Northern & Southern California), and a natural rival for SDSU.
2) a better division for Navy (Air Force, SMU, SDSU)
3) a preferable arrangement for Memphis (together with Louisville & Cincinnati)

It makes sense on so many levels.

This assumes an east-west split. I understand other options are on the table.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 09:20 AM by UConn-SMU.)
07-01-2012 09:05 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-01-2012 09:05 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  We need to do everything we can do to get BYU. This is business, and everything is negotiable. If getting BYU means giving some small concession to them, we need to do it. Then we would have:

WEST

Memphis
SMU
Houston
Boise
BYU
SDSU
Navy

EAST

UConn
Rutgers
Temple
Cincinnati
Louisville
USF
UCF

But Navy may not like being in the western division without Air Force. So I'd like to get Air Force & Fresno, then slide Memphis to the East. That way, we get:

1) a two-team presence in California (in both Northern & Southern California), and a natural rival for SDSU.

Navy doesn't care if AF joins or not. They said as much after they joined. The FB coach said that the only two rivalries they need to make sure they keep every year are Army and Notre Dame. Everything else is expendable.

Honestly, Air Force does nothing for me. Any govt cache they could bring by being a military academy is already here with Navy. For me its BYU then Fresno and thats it, because once we get to Fresno they are definitely going to say yes.
07-01-2012 09:24 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
It is BYU...like the above said everything is on the table...this is business and if we get them into the fold it will help out the BIG EAST longterm.

I know many say they are "drama queens" but if they are and try some of that with Louisville, UConn, Rutgers & Cincinnati then they would get put back into their place...and that would be as a peer...nothing more nothing less.
07-01-2012 09:34 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-01-2012 09:34 AM)Maize Wrote:  It is BYU...like the above said everything is on the table...this is business and if we get them into the fold it will help out the BIG EAST longterm.

I know many say they are "drama queens" but if they are and try some of that with Louisville, UConn, Rutgers & Cincinnati then they would get put back into their place...and that would be as a peer...nothing more nothing less.

People also forget that they would just be FB only members. They couldn't vote on anything not FB related. Though im sure a BBall scheduling alliance would come into play, just like with SD St and Boise.

I dont think that as a FB only member they would be too much of a drama queen.
07-01-2012 09:44 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(07-01-2012 08:53 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  They have plenty of time. BYU will wait and see how the next couple of years work out for Big East in tv negotiations and playoff,bowl access and revenues.

I honestly think BYU is waiting on the TV contract and little else. They want some guarantees and provisions that only the TV people can say yes to, if they can secure those then the odds are good for the Big East. They also might have an added incentive if they fail to get ranked this year (they actually have a pretty good schedule)
07-01-2012 09:50 AM
MiddleTiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-01-2012 09:50 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  
(07-01-2012 08:53 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  They have plenty of time. BYU will wait and see how the next couple of years work out for Big East in tv negotiations and playoff,bowl access and revenues.

I honestly think BYU is waiting on the TV contract and little else. They want some guarantees and provisions that only the TV people can say yes to, if they can secure those then the odds are good for the Big East. They also might have an added incentive if they fail to get ranked this year (they actually have a pretty good schedule)

The two biggest issues for them will be the TV contract, and possibly dealing with Comcast/NBC, and their infatuation with Utah and the PAC12. I think they will get past the NBC issues by having everything in writing this time but they may not think the BE is on par with what Utah has and independence is better. Hopefully they will see the value of being in a league is better for late season scheduling and the related strength of schedule.
07-01-2012 10:00 AM
Advertisement

NeighSayer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(07-01-2012 10:00 AM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  

The two biggest issues for them will be the TV contract, and possibly dealing with Comcast/NBC, and their infatuation with Utah and the PAC12. I think they will get past the NBC issues by having everything in writing this time but they may not think the BE is on par with what Utah has and independence is better. Hopefully they will see the value of being in a league is better for late season scheduling and the related strength of schedule.

True--BYU was burned very badly by Comcast/NBC when they bought out CSTV. They'll be very hesitant to do business with them again, but if they do, they'll make sure every "i" is dotted and "t" crossed before they sign on. I think if BYU were brought in during the TV negotiation, and they received concessions in writing (unlike the handshake deal they had the last time they dealt with Comcast), they'd be happy to leave independence behind.
07-01-2012 11:23 AM
dshawfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SDSU Aztecs

They desperately need to be able to battle the mega $$$ that Utah now receives as a member of the PAC. If the BE contract exceeds what they are able to do independently, then the BE will be in play, if not, they will continue on their own.
07-01-2012 11:53 AM
Shasta77 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-01-2012 09:05 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  We need to do everything we can do to get BYU. This is business, and everything is negotiable. If getting BYU means giving some small concession to them, we need to do it. Then we would have:

WEST

Memphis
SMU
Houston
Boise
BYU
SDSU
Navy

EAST

UConn
Rutgers
Temple
Cincinnati
Louisville
USF
UCF

It makes sense on so many levels.

The more I think about it, the more sense BYU, AFA, and Fresno make. BYU would clearly add a million or two to the TV deal. AFA and Fresno, at the very least, wouldn't hurt (remember the Big 12's original two choices were BYU and AFA), and the NBE would then have two schools in the three power football states. Plus the idea that there is some gulf between the Big East and the ACC would be a joke; there wouldn't even be a stream. The BE has finished in the top five actually five of the last six years and ahead of the ACC four of the last six in the Sagarin ratings. BYU would bring a number of BCS points, and AFA and Fresno have been just behind the top-tier non-AQs. I'd set it up like this:

EAST
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinnati
UConn
USF
UCF
Temple
Navy

WEST
Boise
BYU
Houston
SMU
Fresno
SDSU
Air Force
Memphis
07-01-2012 12:06 PM
Oceana Tiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken

BYU fans: Given the way the landscape has changed since summer 2010, why are you better off Indy than as Big East No. 14 in football?

Collapse Reply
Retweet

Favorite
07-01-2012 12:07 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-01-2012 11:53 AM)dshawfan Wrote:  

They desperately need to be able to battle the mega $$$ that Utah now receives as a member of the PAC. If the BE contract exceeds what they are able to do independently, then the BE will be in play, if not, they will continue on their own.

The TV contract is a MUCH bigger roadblock than people are making it out to be. I have a lot less faith that this is something that will get resolved: it goes to core fundamental principles of each of the Big East and BYU as opposed to just concessions. BYU asking the Big East for the rights to *any* football games (much less 4 or its entire home game schedule) is massive: there's little incentive for the Big East to add BYU when the conference only has a handful of actual BYU games to sell. By the same token, BYU is very obsessed with exposure in and of itself and they're getting extremely spoiled by how much they've been on ESPN lately. These are fundamental items for both the Big East and BYU that go beyond money (which make them harder to resolve).
07-01-2012 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(07-01-2012 02:27 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  The TV contract is a MUCH bigger roadblock than people are making it out to be. I have a lot less faith that this is something that will get resolved: it goes to core fundamental principles of each of the Big East and BYU as opposed to just concessions. BYU asking the Big East for the rights to *any* football games (much less 4 or its entire home game schedule) is massive: there's little incentive for the Big East to add BYU when the conference only has a handful of actual BYU games to sell.

It seems to me that could be fairly resolved by simply reducing BYU's share of Big East TV money accordingly. The main thing the Big East needs from BYU is added football prowess, prestige and BCS bowl money points. Such a creative compromise would be a win-win for all concerned. The Big East MUST think "outside the box". With BYU we can go far.
07-01-2012 02:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LaBradfordsTWill Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
We need BYU for quality purposes. The money isn't the issue really.
07-01-2012 02:50 PM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
I don't think BYU's TV deal is the major roadblock since Navy was able to keep it's current TV deal CBS till it expires in 2017. If BYU does join when Navy comes in 2015, their deal with ESPN will only be one year longer. No idea what incentives Navy/Big East gets from keeping the CBS deal.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 02:59 PM by ollin.)
07-01-2012 02:57 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-01-2012 02:27 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(07-01-2012 11:53 AM)dshawfan Wrote:  

The TV contract is a MUCH bigger roadblock than people are making it out to be. I have a lot less faith that this is something that will get resolved: it goes to core fundamental principles of each of the Big East and BYU as opposed to just concessions. BYU asking the Big East for the rights to *any* football games (much less 4 or its entire home game schedule) is massive: there's little incentive for the Big East to add BYU when the conference only has a handful of actual BYU games to sell. By the same token, BYU is very obsessed with exposure in and of itself and they're getting extremely spoiled by how much they've been on ESPN lately. These are fundamental items for both the Big East and BYU that go beyond money (which make them harder to resolve).
I tend to believe the Big East is about the only conference considered a step up from the Mountain West that will be willing to deal with the BYU issues.

From a contract standpoint, the most important thing to BYU is exposure and the ability to rebroadcast BYU games later on BYUtv. I dont see either as an insurmountable obstacle---especially if they are dealt with at the inception of the conference media conrtract as would be the situation with the Big East.

As for the extisting ESPN contract---there is no reason BYU cant play in the Big East while under the present contract until it expires in 2016. ECU did the same thing with thier Raycom independent contract when joining CUSA. The reality is, the Big East might even be willing to set that up as a permanant fixture since the away games would at least be part of the Big East broadcast package. I know---it would be a horrible precedent---but it would give the Big East teams a strong presence on ESPN if the rest of the contract is with NBC---which would probably be the most advatageous possible set up for the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 03:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-01-2012 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.