Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Goodbye Big East
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
Goodbye Big East
I have been extremely critical of the Big East over the past several years. But, I tend to be positive by nature and cannot help but think back to my better memories of the conference as we move to the Big 12 tomorrow. Here is my stream of consciousness of better Big East memories:

1. The Sugar Bowl. When we beat Georgia as a heavy underdog 2 years after losing 3 teams to the ACC, I felt like it was a win for the conference. I didn't feel that way after the Fiesta Bowl and obviously not the Orange, but the Sugar Bowl was a win for WVU and the legitimacy of the conference.

2. Maryland. I cannot remember the year, but we beat them on a Thursday night in Morgantown. My entire section (next to the visiting fan section), chanted "ACC" once the game was clearly in our favor.

3. Louisville. I enjoyed this rivalry during the Petrino era. The 2005 and 2006 games were epic. The 2005 comeback win introduced the country to Steve Slaton who was 4th on the depth chart at the beginning of the year. That game was the true beginning to the RichRod golden era. The 2006 game was a Thursday night in Louisville. I am pretty sure both schools were Top 10 and undefeated. We lost that night, but the hype leading up to the game and the atmosphere that night in Louisville (along with the bars in Morgantown) is what college football is all about.

4. Madison Square Garden. This is probably the only aspect of the Big East that I will continue to miss at some level. Obviously the highlight was winning the tournament on the shoulders of DeSean Butler. But, we had some great tournaments in the Belien era too with Pittsnoggle and company.

5. Virginia Tech. The early 2000s had a series of games that matched any rivalry in the country. We hated Virginia Tech and our younger fans still hate them more than Pitt. They hated us. I would love to see an OOC series continue one day.

6. Miami. I was once of the lucky 70,000+ fans to see WVU beat Miami in the biggest crowd ever assembled at Mountaineer Field. It was a cold night and we slayed the beast on our way to an undefeated season.

7. Rutgers. While most would not call this a rivalry, there are enough WVU students from New Jersey to make it a fun, relatively friendly tailgating atmosphere. I tend to cheer for Rutgers when not playing WVU and will continue to do so. I hope this also continues as an OOC series from time to time.

I am sure there are others, but those are some of my better memories of the Big East that I take with me. It wasn't all bad, and at times it was very, very good. Best of luck guys.

04-cheers
06-30-2012 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Goodbye Big East
(06-30-2012 10:18 AM)EerMeNow Wrote:  I have been extremely critical of the Big East over the past several years. But, I tend to be positive by nature and cannot help but think back to my better memories of the conference as we move to the Big 12 tomorrow. Here is my stream of consciousness of better Big East memories:

1. The Sugar Bowl. When we beat Georgia as a heavy underdog 2 years after losing 3 teams to the ACC, I felt like it was a win for the conference. I didn't feel that way after the Fiesta Bowl and obviously not the Orange, but the Sugar Bowl was a win for WVU and the legitimacy of the conference.

2. Maryland. I cannot remember the year, but we beat them on a Thursday night in Morgantown. My entire section (next to the visiting fan section), chanted "ACC" once the game was clearly in our favor.

3. Louisville. I enjoyed this rivalry during the Petrino era. The 2005 and 2006 games were epic. The 2005 comeback win introduced the country to Steve Slaton who was 4th on the depth chart at the beginning of the year. That game was the true beginning to the RichRod golden era. The 2006 game was a Thursday night in Louisville. I am pretty sure both schools were Top 10 and undefeated. We lost that night, but the hype leading up to the game and the atmosphere that night in Louisville (along with the bars in Morgantown) is what college football is all about.

4. Madison Square Garden. This is probably the only aspect of the Big East that I will continue to miss at some level. Obviously the highlight was winning the tournament on the shoulders of DeSean Butler. But, we had some great tournaments in the Belien era too with Pittsnoggle and company.

5. Virginia Tech. The early 2000s had a series of games that matched any rivalry in the country. We hated Virginia Tech and our younger fans still hate them more than Pitt. They hated us. I would love to see an OOC series continue one day.

6. Miami. I was once of the lucky 70,000+ fans to see WVU beat Miami in the biggest crowd ever assembled at Mountaineer Field. It was a cold night and we slayed the beast on our way to an undefeated season.

7. Rutgers. While most would not call this a rivalry, there are enough WVU students from New Jersey to make it a fun, relatively friendly tailgating atmosphere. I tend to cheer for Rutgers when not playing WVU and will continue to do so. I hope this also continues as an OOC series from time to time.

I am sure there are others, but those are some of my better memories of the Big East that I take with me. It wasn't all bad, and at times it was very, very good. Best of luck guys.

04-cheers

On point (1)...again Thank You...WVU was the last school to beat the SEC Champion in a BCS Bowl Game that wasn't from the SEC.

On point (3)...both were in the Top 5 @ the time of the 2006 game...on a personnel note I as a Louisville fan "really" enjoyed the 2011 game...lol05-stirthepot03-nutkick

But really...I wish WVU the best in the Big XII and I really feel you guys have a great shot-(along with TCU) to win that league...hopefully if the stars align right we will be with you one day. 04-cheers

Now go out and show the world what we already know. 04-bow
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 01:03 PM by Maize.)
06-30-2012 10:41 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I have three memories of WVU ... two good and one bad.

1) WVU running past Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. That was 3 hours of pure fun.

2) The game after UConn player Jasper Howard was murdered, WVU handled that situation in Morgantown with class.

3) My brother came home from a UConn game and told me the WVU fans were the rudest he'd ever seen in East Hartford.

Good luck in the Big 12. I hope you win the conference championship. Then maybe the Big 12 people will look at Big East football with more respect.
06-30-2012 11:25 AM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
My memories of WVU:

1) DeSean Butler beating Cincinnati at MSG with a banked three at the buzzer. Still pissed off about that.

2) Bob Huggins returning the Cincinnati as coach of the Mountaineers, seeing him brought to tears was special

3) The year UC went undefeated, beating WVU at home by 3.

4) Winning in Morgantown in OT after a crazy Pat White comeback in the last like 2 minutes the year before

5) The refs screwing up the basketball game this year in Morgantown, when Jones and bench were trying to call a timeout without having one.

Lots of love-hate type moments with the Mountaineers. I do not mind their teams, will not miss the fans.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 11:40 AM by Bearcat_Bounce.)
06-30-2012 11:39 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I also have great memories of WV. It's been a short history but very competitive.
Beating WV on the road and our sold out game at home were great memories. Seeing WV win the title in Tampa after BJ fumbled the ball while in WV territory hurt.

Good luck to you guys in Big12 maybe we will play in future.
06-30-2012 12:54 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Some of my fondest WVU memories were visiting the Scout board during Bill Stewart's reign as head coach.
Dam fine entertainment.
06-30-2012 01:31 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It was nice while it lasted. Good luck from here on... 04-cheers
07-01-2012 08:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
The BE helped elevate Mountaineer atheletics and WVU returned with favors in the other direction as well. It is funny that the 5 of 6 that moved on are in a lessor valued FB league than the 1. I will forever miss rivals VT and Pitt, and will be in spirit pulling for them to lose every outing.

I hope now this new version of the league will elevate my alma mater - Memphis.
07-01-2012 09:17 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: Goodbye Big East
Best of luck Mountaineers! You will be missed.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
07-01-2012 09:29 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
I honestly think WVU being in the Big XII will make VT more open to restart the series with the Mountaineers. They didn't want to give them validation before but now they are in the better conference than the Hokies so that alone makes it seem like WVU is better so VT will want to beat them on the field so they can get the advantage in the recruiting trail again.

Pitt has to work out something with WVU, PSU and ND. Maybe some sort of every year they play two of the three in some sort of rotation.
07-01-2012 09:30 AM
BullTime Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USF
I enjoyed the games, but now that you're leaving I hope you fall flat on your face and don't win another game.
07-01-2012 04:12 PM
Advertisement

BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
(07-01-2012 04:12 PM)BullTime Wrote:  I enjoyed the games, but now that you're leaving I hope you fall flat on your face and don't win another game.

LOL.

Just drink from a mason-jar every time WVU loses a B12 game.
04-cheers
07-01-2012 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(06-30-2012 01:15 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  However, it's those wars with the other members of the classic "Big East 6"

What is the Big East 6??? Are you just referring to the six who have or are moving on to other conferences?
07-01-2012 04:30 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(07-01-2012 04:30 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  
(06-30-2012 01:15 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  However, it's those wars with the other members of the classic "Big East 6"

What is the Big East 6??? Are you just referring to the six who have or are moving on to other conferences?

You have two "original" BIG EAST Football members left...Rutgers/Temple.
07-01-2012 04:31 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

(07-01-2012 04:31 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Exactly, but there were 8 to start... then 8 after the first ACC raid... and still 8 playing now that WVU has bowed out, and after next year's shuffle there will likely be twelve... so the six are referencing who? Those who have signed on elsewhere?
07-01-2012 04:54 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(07-01-2012 04:54 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  
(07-01-2012 04:31 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Exactly, but there were 8 to start... then 8 after the first ACC raid... and still 8 playing now that WVU has bowed out, and after next year's shuffle there will likely be twelve... so the six are referencing who? Those who have signed on elsewhere?

here:

(06-30-2012 01:15 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  My thoughts have turned a bit nostalgic of late as well. When I think of Big East football, I will always think of the wars waged between Syracuse, West Virginia, Pitt, Miami, Virginia Tech, & Boston College. The six of us were such a great conference, I wish we could have stayed together forever under the Big East banner.
07-01-2012 04:56 PM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I understand all that, I grew up a Syracuse season ticketholder with my parents, had just never heard the term "Big East 6" before, and was just wondering is all.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 07:09 PM by IceJus10.)
07-01-2012 07:07 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(07-01-2012 09:17 AM)Tigeer Wrote:  The BE helped elevate Mountaineer atheletics and WVU returned with favors in the other direction as well. It is funny that the 5 of 6 that moved on are in a lessor valued FB league than the 1. I will forever miss rivals VT and Pitt, and will be in spirit pulling for them to lose every outing.

I hope now this new version of the league will elevate my alma mater - Memphis.

Wait, if your alma mater is Memphis, why do you support WVU?
07-01-2012 08:52 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(07-01-2012 08:53 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  It was nice while it lasted. Good luck from here on... 04-cheers

good luck bit, nice memories of hyde park cleary sq., truman highway lol.
tc of your health, good bc memories, you guys came to chestnut hill and were intimidating for sure. your going to a better conf, gl an i'll be rooting for u. stay healthy an keep the wife active gl with her MS.04-rock
07-01-2012 09:44 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Didn't West Virginia beat Rutgers 80-7 in a game where they took it easy?
07-01-2012 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.