Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

War on Drugs leading to more HIV/AIDS
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
War on Drugs leading to more HIV/AIDS
Quote:The war on drugs is driving much of the global AIDS pandemic, increasing new infections among injection-drug users in the U.S. and elsewhere, according to a new report from the Global Commission on Drug Policy.

The commission — led by a distinguished panel including the former presidents of Mexico, Poland, Colombia, Brazil and Switzerland, along with Virgin Airlines entrepreneur Richard Branson, the former chair of the Federal Reserve, Paul Volcker, and former Secretary of State George Schulz, among others — finds in its report that about one-third of all new infections outside of sub-Sarahan Africa occur in injection-drug users.
Since the 1990s, effective public-health strategies to curb HIV transmission in drug users have led to drops in new infections in most countries. But over the same time period, seven countries have seen a 25% increase in new infections. Not coincidentally, five of these countries — mainly in Eastern Europe and Central Asia — employ aggressive drug war strategies, such as arresting and incarcerating users for drug or needle possession.

http://news.yahoo.com/how-the-global-war...-aids.html
06-29-2012 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OLD DIRTY Offline
Banned

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: War on Drugs leading to more HIV/AIDS
Maybe I should reconsider the War on Drugs then? It seems to be working better than I thought.
06-29-2012 01:19 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
It would seem to me that the answer to our drug problem is more dirty needles.

Seriously, do we really owe drug addicts clean needles?
06-29-2012 03:15 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(06-29-2012 03:15 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  It would seem to me that the answer to our drug problem is more dirty needles.

What amazes me is that addicts would share needles after so many years of knowing the dangers of it?01-wingedeagle I guess when you are f'ed up enough to stick a needle in your arm you just don't give a sh!t anymore.

I am all for people doing whatever the hell they want as long as the principle of non aggression is not broken in process...but...this part of the drug paradigm troubles me greatly. It is almost like these people are committing suicide slowly. I wish there was a way to stop this...but..something tells me there will always be addicts...regardless.
06-29-2012 03:24 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
such compassion from the resident righties...
06-29-2012 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(06-29-2012 03:46 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  such compassion from the resident righties...

I don't see you out there handing out clean needles. Oh, that's not your job, you want someone else to do it and me to pay for it.

How much compassion am I supposed to show a person, scratch that, millions of people, who intentionally inject themselves with drugs, are a drain on society, are causing a narco war in Mexico, and so on? The good thing is that you can spend as much time, effort and money dealing as you want dealing with a hopeless situation. Have at it.

This is the problem with the left. They see somebody else's problem and want to solve it using yet someone else's resources.

Some countries have death penalties for dealing and/or using drugs. How about we do the same?
06-29-2012 03:56 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-29-2012 03:24 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(06-29-2012 03:15 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  It would seem to me that the answer to our drug problem is more dirty needles.

What amazes me is that addicts would share needles after so many years of knowing the dangers of it?01-wingedeagle I guess when you are f'ed up enough to stick a needle in your arm you just don't give a sh!t anymore.

I am all for people doing whatever the hell they want as long as the principle of non aggression is not broken in process...but...this part of the drug paradigm troubles me greatly. It is almost like these people are committing suicide slowly. I wish there was a way to stop this...but..something tells me there will always be addicts...regardless.

I have similar feelings toward smokers.

Knowing what we know, why the hell are you still doing it?
06-29-2012 04:23 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(06-29-2012 04:23 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

i've had enough of this...i'm going outside to smoke.
06-29-2012 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Enjoy.
06-29-2012 04:35 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(06-29-2012 04:23 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

I was a light smoker for 20+ years. I rarely smoked more than pack a week and would go days between lighting up. I finally came to the same realization you bring up. and quit cold turkey 9 years ago. I don't miss it one iota and actually have really negative feeling now towards smokers. It is a filthy and expensive habit that I am glad I shed.
06-29-2012 10:09 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

It's hard to OD on smokes. The comparison is not the same. Ever kill someone for a smoke?
06-29-2012 11:13 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(06-29-2012 11:13 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  It's hard to OD on smokes. The comparison is not the same. Ever kill someone for a smoke?

I expect if we google it...this has happened. I agree though...it is not a particularly good comparison.
06-29-2012 11:25 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
If you've never been really hooked, you have no idea. Ex-smoker.
06-29-2012 11:58 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(06-29-2012 11:13 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  It's hard to OD on smokes. The comparison is not the same. Ever kill someone for a smoke?

No, but may analogy was in terms of smoking's addictive and unhealthy qualities.
06-30-2012 06:20 AM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(06-29-2012 12:07 PM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  
Quote:The war on drugs is driving much of the global AIDS pandemic, increasing new infections among injection-drug users in the U.S. and elsewhere, according to a new report from the Global Commission on Drug Policy.

The commission — led by a distinguished panel including the former presidents of Mexico, Poland, Colombia, Brazil and Switzerland, along with Virgin Airlines entrepreneur Richard Branson, the former chair of the Federal Reserve, Paul Volcker, and former Secretary of State George Schulz, among others — finds in its report that about one-third of all new infections outside of sub-Sarahan Africa occur in injection-drug users.
Since the 1990s, effective public-health strategies to curb HIV transmission in drug users have led to drops in new infections in most countries. But over the same time period, seven countries have seen a 25% increase in new infections. Not coincidentally, five of these countries — mainly in Eastern Europe and Central Asia — employ aggressive drug war strategies, such as arresting and incarcerating users for drug or needle possession.

This just in...UNPROTECTED SEX LEADS TO INCREASE IN HIV/AIDS. Dumb.
07-02-2012 07:19 PM
OLD DIRTY Offline
Banned

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-29-2012 03:46 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  such compassion from the resident righties...

Says the same mindset that has gotten smoking cigarettes almost banned, but lives on the basis of abortion is a choice. I think abortion is a choice, but just think it's funny as a middle-of-the roader at how liberals are so hypocritical.

Hard righters are some too, but not even close to the BS you morons preach. I don't see Kayne West saying Obama hates whites b/c my power is going to be off over a week? Him and George Clooney are preaching greenhouse footprints with Al Gore while pimping private planes like any one of us ride our half decent rides?

Weed is put here by God to enjoy, sorry that the two sides are so wrapped up in calling names that even the obvious goes unseen. The Aztecs looked to the "Sun Gods" for direction and the Liberals are no different... Centuries laster, and the ones who push evolution are still starring at the clouds. Wow.
07-02-2012 07:48 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(07-02-2012 07:19 PM)ImMoreAwesomeThanYou Wrote:  

Read much? The article is about how the War on Drugs has led to an increase in HIV/AIDS, not the usage of drugs.
07-02-2012 09:26 PM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(07-02-2012 09:26 PM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 07:19 PM)ImMoreAwesomeThanYou Wrote:  

Read much? The article is about how the War on Drugs has led to an increase in HIV/AIDS, not the usage of drugs.

Yes. I read much. I just don't think we can blame the "war on drugs" for HIV.
07-03-2012 05:56 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Because you like spending billions of dollars for no results?
07-03-2012 06:53 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
And providing needles to limit the spread of HIV is a no brainer from a long-term cost effectiveness standpoint. It's along the same line of providing state subsidized birth control, it's got a great return on investment.
07-03-2012 07:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.