Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What are the current Big East bowl tie ins and when do they expire
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
What are the current Big East bowl tie ins and when do they expire
Obviosuly, we know the AQ to the BCS goes away after teh 2013 season. What are the other current deals? I'm guessing most expire in 2013 also, but I don't know for certain.
06-28-2012 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

RE: What are the current Big East bowl tie ins and when do they expire
The Liberty Bowl's current deal with the SEC and C-USA expires after the 2013 season. I think everyone in Memphis will be shocked if the Liberty Bowl doesn't sign a tie in with the Big East beginning with the 2014 season.

The only questions will be which team from the Big East conference will it be (#2, #3 or #4) and will the opponent be an SEC or C-USA school.
06-28-2012 04:20 PM
UCBearcat4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
Russell Athletic Bowl (Formerly Champs Sports Bowl)
Belk Bowl
The New Era Pinstripe Bowl
BBVA Compass Bowl/Beef '0' Brady's Bowl/ Liberty Bowl
The BIG EAST will send teams to two of those three games in each of the 2010-13 seasons.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 04:25 PM by UCBearcat4ever.)
06-28-2012 04:24 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I'm hoping the new bowl line up ends up looknig like this...

1. Orange Bowl
2. Champs Sports Bowl
3. Liberty Bowl
4. Pinstripe Bowl
5. TBD
6. TBD
06-28-2012 04:24 PM
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(06-28-2012 04:24 PM)3601 Wrote:  I'm hoping the new bowl line up ends up looknig like this...

1. Orange Bowl
2. Champs Sports Bowl
3. Liberty Bowl
4. Pinstripe Bowl
5. TBD
6. TBD

6 bowls for potentially 14 teams? Ouch. Even CUSA has 7 bowl games for 12 teams.
06-28-2012 05:06 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-28-2012 05:06 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  
(06-28-2012 04:24 PM)3601 Wrote:  I'm hoping the new bowl line up ends up looknig like this...

1. Orange Bowl
2. Champs Sports Bowl
3. Liberty Bowl
4. Pinstripe Bowl
5. TBD
6. TBD

6 bowls for potentially 14 teams? Ouch. Even CUSA has 7 bowl games for 12 teams.

Big East will get more bowls.
06-28-2012 05:12 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
The Big East will probably end up with 9 bowls, and no game will be specifically designated for the champion, due to the widespread geography. Since there won't be a contractual tie-in to one of the Big Six bowls, unless the Liberty can somehow put together a deep pocketed coalition to take the sixth spot, expect it to be four in the East, four in the West, and one in the middle.

ATLANTIC
- Russell (formerly Champs / start using the new name)
- Pinstripe
- Washington DC (potentially replacing Belk match-up)
- Beef O'Brady's

CENTRAL
- Liberty

PACIFIC
- Ticket City or Armed Forces
- Something elsewhere in Texas
- Emerald
- Poinsettia

The bigger issue the Big East will face is making sure every bowl is against the SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten, Big 12, or ACC. So the two West Coast games need to be against the Pac-12, not the MWC, which is also why Hawaii and Las Vegas need to be avoided at all costs. The Pinstripe ought to be against the Big Ten and the Beef O'Brady's opponent needs to be upgraded if possible.
06-29-2012 08:50 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

Its a long-shot but I could see the Big East trying to secure the Capital One Bowl too...as odds are, it will NOT be included in the Top 6 Bowl rotation for semi-final and new BCS bowl games...and it most likely will never be the hosting site for a National Championship Game.

That and the Gator Bowl...now that 2 Big East teams are located in FLA...that might also help that bowl's ticket sales...which have been hurt in recent years from having bad SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 teams in it.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 09:50 AM by KnightLight.)
06-29-2012 08:53 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
In this order I prefer Capital One, Outback, keeping the Russel (Champs), and then the Gator Bowl. Didn't the Gator spit on the Big East a few years back, why would that change?
06-29-2012 09:04 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(06-29-2012 09:04 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  In this order I prefer Capital One, Outback, keeping the Russel (Champs), and then the Gator Bowl. Didn't the Gator spit on the Big East a few years back, why would that change?

No, the Gator was willing to resign with BE, but wanted either a gaurantee for ND 2 out of 4 or to continue the Gator/Sun Hybrid. The champs was willing to do a 1/4 with ND, so the BE went with the champs.
06-29-2012 09:27 AM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(06-29-2012 08:53 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  Its a long-shot but I could see the Big East trying to secure the Capital One Bowl too...as odds are, it will NOT be included in the Top 6 Bowl rotation for semi-final and new BCS bowl games...and it most likely will never be the hosting site for a National Championship Game.

That and the Gator Bowl...now that 2 teams are located in FLA...that might also help that bowl's ticket sales...which have been hurt in recent years from having bad SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 teams in it.

I hate to say it, but no bowl in Florida will voluntarily drop and SEC tie in for a Big East tie in.
06-29-2012 09:31 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(06-29-2012 09:04 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  In this order I prefer Capital One, Outback, keeping the Russel (Champs), and then the Gator Bowl. Didn't the Gator spit on the Big East a few years back, why would that change?

I really doubt that Florida Citrus Sports is going to have the Big East tie-in to both the Capital One and Russell Athletic bowls. I think they want to expand their reach into four conferences. And if the Capital One were to not be selected into the BCS rotation, they would likely keep the B1G/SEC matchup and the hefty payout.

Although, if the BCS bowls are to dominate NYE and NYD as suggested, I wonder where the other NYD bowls go. Do the Cap One, Gator, Outback, and Ticket City all just move back to before NYE? or do they move up to Jan. 2? I doubt that the BCS is going to want competition - as they never really have before with most games on at prime time.
06-29-2012 09:33 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

New teams, more options, plus even more poor Gator Bowl tix sales in recent years.

NOTE: There were 23,000 empty seats for last year's Gator Bowl between FLORIDA and OHIO STATE.

I think bowls (and conf) want OPTIONS, if possible, which would help the Big East especially, since it will be the only conf with teams located on both coasts...as I'm sure a california bowl wouldn't want to be forced to invite a big east team from the East coast...as a FL bowl will probably not want to be forced to take a Big East team from the West coast.

I could see some bowls that end up with 3-4 conf choices as options...options that can change year-to-year so that teams are sent back to the same bowl and/or region (or even same stadium, different bowl) year after year.

Gator Bowl...along with other "normal" New Year's Day Bowl games like Capital One and Outback Bowl might be in trouble...as they might lose their New Year's Day DATE...and drop drastically in prestige.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 09:56 AM by KnightLight.)
06-29-2012 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.