Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hoops For Hope Tournament in Mexico!
Bookmark and Share
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
It looks like UALR may be participating in an exempt tournament in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico over Thanksgiving weekend along with Missouri State, SMU, and South Carolina. It also looks like in addition to two games in Mexico against two of the above, UALR will be a host for two games at home before they head to Mexico against a field of Alcorn State, Jacksonville, and two more to be determined. This sounds like a really good deal for our team!

Here are a couple of links to info on this tournament:

http://blogs.news-leader.com/msu/2012/06...ummer-day/

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/pages/...and-events
06-28-2012 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: Hoops For Hope Tournament in Mexico!
Why doesn't the NCAA just add two weeks to the begining of the season? It looks like most every team in the country is playing in one of the exempt tournaments. I'm glad to see that we are playing. That's two more games to see the Trojans at home, and I suppose we get to start practices a couple of weeks earlier.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 12:38 PM by LRTrojan.)
06-28-2012 12:32 PM
NewUALRfan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UALR
If our football team is not still alive in the playoffs, I plan to have a Mexican Fiesta instead of Thanksgiving dinner!
06-28-2012 01:28 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
(06-28-2012 12:32 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  Why doesn't the NCAA just add two weeks to the begining of the season? It looks like most every team in the country is playing in one of the exempt tournaments. I'm glad to see that we are playing. That's two more games to see the Trojans at home, and I suppose we get to start practices a couple of weeks earlier.
Why would you start practice sooner? Early practice is only for those taking foreign exhibition trips. The Thanksgiving/Christmas MTEs are just normal early season tournaments.
06-28-2012 01:55 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(06-28-2012 01:55 PM)SubGod22 Wrote:  Why would you start practice sooner? Early practice is only for those taking foreign exhibition trips. The Thanksgiving/Christmas MTEs are just normal early season tournaments. It

Sorry, evidently I didn't read it closely enough I guess. I thought it was a pre-season tournament. It plainly read Thanksgiving.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 03:06 PM by LRTrojan.)
06-28-2012 03:03 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(06-28-2012 12:32 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  Why doesn't the NCAA just add two weeks to the begining of the season? It looks like most every team in the country is playing in one of the exempt tournaments. I'm glad to see that we are playing. That's two more games to see the Trojans at home, and I suppose we get to start practices a couple of weeks earlier.

No extra practice for these tournaments since they occur within the time frame of the regular schedule. All games will be after the first day of play on Friday, November 9th. The only situation that I know of where a team gets extra practice is where they go on a foreign trip during the summer (allowed once every four years). Then they get 10 days of practice before they go.
06-28-2012 03:34 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Very nice trip for our guys.
06-28-2012 03:51 PM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
God PLEASE don't make us play Missouri State again! If we're going to get our ass whipped every year can't we just schedule a bigger-named opponent that actually HELPS our RPI?????
06-28-2012 08:33 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(06-28-2012 08:33 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  God PLEASE don't make us play Missouri State again! If we're going to get our ass whipped every year can't we just schedule a bigger-named opponent that actually HELPS our RPI?????

My guess is that we will either get South Carolina or SMU in the semis in Mexico. Then winners play winners and losers play losers.
06-28-2012 08:47 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Well at least it's a real tournament. That I can live with.
06-28-2012 10:17 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Imagine our recruits calling home and telling their folks, "Guess what - I am going to Mexico in my first year here!"
06-29-2012 06:53 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
I am excited to go play.
06-29-2012 09:17 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(06-28-2012 10:17 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Well at least it's a real tournament. That I can live with.

My guess is that this tournament is set up like the Cancun Challenge that Richmond participated in last year. The four hosts teams will be in one bracket in Mexico and the four visiting teams in the States will be in another bracket in Mexico. And that is regardless of results in the States. So it's not really a true tournament, but it does have true bracket play in Mexico.
06-29-2012 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.