Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dennis Dodd on the BIG FOUR/The new-old power of College Football
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Dennis Dodd on the BIG FOUR/The new-old power of College Football
Dennis Dodd nailed it with this paragraph right here on the new state of College Football:

Removing labels doesn't remove the reality. A playoff probably lessens access for the sport's unwashed. At least makes it more uncertain. That selection committee? Its composition will have to reflect that the Big East is no longer considered a BCS-level conference. The ACC has become less of a factor. That Big Four -- Pac-12, Big Ten, SEC, Big 12 -- are calling the shots. To be precise, the commissioners of those leagues are calling the shots.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...he-problem

It is what it is.
06-27-2012 06:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Dennis Dodd on the BIG FOUR/The new-old power of College Football
If the Big five retain AQ status then we know what is up. If not, then that is enough give and take IMO to help the lower guys to an extent.
06-27-2012 07:00 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(06-27-2012 07:00 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  If the Big five retain AQ status then we know what is up. If not, then that is enough give and take IMO to help the lower guys to an extent.

There is no AQ status.
06-27-2012 07:04 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Aq in name is gone, but the big 4 plus ACC will have an auto tie in to one of the big bowls, so AQ in reality still exist without BE in it. BE is the only conf outside of big 5 with an outside chance of getting into playoff, and sun and stars have to align perfectly even then.

BE needs to get a good TV deal with NBC, and have NBC hook up with a pretty good bowl, ie Gator, Outback, Sun, ect and have it there for BE champ. If NBC/BE deal happens.... NBC will have a vested interest in keeping BE as high on food chain as possible.
06-27-2012 07:10 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(06-27-2012 07:04 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 07:00 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  If the Big five retain AQ status then we know what is up. If not, then that is enough give and take IMO to help the lower guys to an extent.

There is no AQ status.

Oh yes there is. They are just not calling it AQ.

PAC, B1G, SEC, BIG XII all have guaranteed access to a top 6 bowl every year. The ACC is about to finalize their deal with the Orange bowl that will give their champion a place to play every year they don't make the playoff, and it is one of the top 6 bowls.

Strange..... it is almost as if the SEC and Big XII knew what the final results were going to be over a month ago....... 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 07:12 AM by Borncoog74.)
06-27-2012 07:11 AM
BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
So AQ status is gone, but there are 4 playoff spots and a new "big 4" conferences? Can't help, but feel like we're being taken as idiots, everytime new info is 'released'. From a Boise State perspective, I've never been around anything in my life where the goal is as much of a moving target as it's been from where we sit.
06-27-2012 07:28 AM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
So if the Cotton Bowl is a semi-final, or the Rose Bowl, then I am assuming the Big 4 conference winners (if not in the top four) go to one of the other 5 Bowls automatically? If that's the case, then it is AQ. Same with the ACC Champ.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 07:35 AM by RUScarlets.)
06-27-2012 07:34 AM
BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

(06-27-2012 07:34 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  So if the Cotton Bowl is a semi-final, or the Rose Bowl, then I am assuming the Big 4 conference winners (if not in the top four) go to one of the other 5 Bowls automatically? If that's the case, then it is AQ. Same with the ACC Champ.

Correct, this sport is controlled by controlling the media, which in turn controls perception. You can't sue perception. Individual bowl contracts the 'backup' lockout plan.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 07:48 AM by BroncoFan78.)
06-27-2012 07:46 AM
NTMB Offline
No quarter asked and none given.

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Donators
How awesome would it be if the selection committee, by rule, excludes the "big 4" conference from having representatives, or if it was a 10 man committee with only one rep from each conference? Could we b!tch about access then? Could anyone complain?
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 07:54 AM by NTMB.)
06-27-2012 07:53 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(06-27-2012 07:11 AM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

There is no AQ status.

PAC, B1G, SEC, BIG XII all have guaranteed access to a top 6 bowl every year. The ACC is about to finalize their deal with the Orange bowl that will give their champion a place to play every year they don't make the playoff, and it is one of the top 6 bowls.

Strange..... it is almost as if the SEC and Big XII knew what the final results were going to be over a month ago....... 07-coffee3

(06-27-2012 07:28 AM)BroncoFan78 Wrote:  So AQ status is gone, but there are 4 playoff spots and a new "big 4" conferences? Can't help, but feel like we're being taken as idiots, everytime new info is 'released'. From a Boise State perspective, I've never been around anything in my life where the goal is as much of a moving target as it's been from where we sit.
The new system is better for everyone except the Big East members that did not move up.

The former Non-AQs are pleased with what has happened and understand that the best teams each year will probably come from one of the best conference. They can live with that.
06-27-2012 07:58 AM
NTMB Offline

Donators
(06-27-2012 07:58 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  

There is no AQ status.

(06-27-2012 07:28 AM)BroncoFan78 Wrote:  So AQ status is gone, but there are 4 playoff spots and a new "big 4" conferences? Can't help, but feel like we're being taken as idiots, everytime new info is 'released'. From a Boise State perspective, I've never been around anything in my life where the goal is as much of a moving target as it's been from where we sit.
The new system is better for everyone except the Big East members that did not move up.

The former Non-AQs are pleased with what has happened and understand that the best teams each year will probably come from one of the best conference. They can live with that.

Thanks "Boise of the South." 03-lmfao
06-27-2012 08:02 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

There is no AQ status.

We will know the playoff revenue distribution soon, but if you are talking about making the playoff I don't see Pitt, Cuse, and WVU running the table.
I could see a Boise, Cincinnati, or another Big East team running the table and making the playoff.
It has been over a decade since an ACC team has entered the last week of the season with 1 loss or less, that being VaTech.
06-27-2012 08:06 AM
NTMB Offline

Donators
(06-27-2012 08:06 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

There is no AQ status.

We will know the playoff revenue distribution soon, but if you are talking about making the playoff I don't see Pitt, Cuse, and WVU running the table.
I could see a Boise, Cincinnati, or another Big East team running the table and making the playoff.
It has been over a decade since an ACC team has entered the last week of the season with 1 loss or less, that being VaTech.

Ignore him. He's just butthurt over Memphis moving up and delusional in beleiving Malzahn's lies about ESPN bankrolling Arkansas State as the "Boise of the South."

What he fails to realize is that under the new system, Astate can go undefeated and conference games against GEORGIA STATE and the like, will KILL their sos. and they'll be left out. Not to mention the beat-downs they'll suffer at the hands of folks like Oregon. 03-lmfao
06-27-2012 08:15 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(06-27-2012 08:15 AM)NTMB Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 07:04 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  There is no AQ status.

Ignore him. He's just butthurt over Memphis moving up and delusional in beleiving Malzahn's lies about ESPN bankrolling Arkansas State as the "Boise of the South."

What he fails to realize is that under the new system, Astate can go undefeated and conference games against GEORGIA STATE and the like, will KILL their sos. and they'll be left out. Not to mention the beat-downs they'll suffer at the hands of folks like Oregon. 03-lmfao
Listening to Malzahn on several occasions recently and late last week after the 11 Commissioners and the ND AD told everyone what they were going to propose, he seemed quite pleased with how this played out.

His formula going forward is to dominate the SBC, and the ’non-power’ OC teams, and beat one serious ‘power program’ NC contender every year. Did say beating Oregon this year would be a tall task.

Guess that might have to be the path taken by most of the teams in the former Non-AQ Conferences.

Really don't know what the plans are for programs, like UNT, Memphis, the FCS, etc., that were not really successful before moving up, just know that winning will not be part of their plans.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 09:16 AM by Seminole Indian.)
06-27-2012 09:14 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(06-27-2012 09:14 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 07:11 AM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  Oh yes there is. They are just not calling it AQ.

Listening to Malzahn on several occasions recently and late last week after the 11 Commissioners and the ND AD told everyone what they were going to propose, he seemed quite pleased with how this played out.

His formula going forward is to dominate the SBC, and the ’non-power’ OC teams, and beat one serious ‘power program’ NC contender every year. Did say beating Oregon this year would be a tall task.

Guess that might have to be the path taken by most of the teams in the former Non-AQ Conferences.

Really don't know what the plans are for programs, like UNT, Memphis, the FCS, etc., that were not really successful before moving up, just know that winning will not be part of their plans.

What the ****?
06-27-2012 09:24 AM
BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

Looks to me like Seminole is trolling...
06-27-2012 09:30 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-27-2012 09:14 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 07:11 AM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  Oh yes there is. They are just not calling it AQ.

Ah...that same information was reported everywhere (after BCS Commish and AD's met for back-t0-back weeks in Chicago), as Head Coaches had zero impact on the final decision...so, as would any coach, when given lemons...one makes lemonade...as nothing positive could every come about "disagreeing" or throwing a "temper tantrum" when everyone knew what was coming down the pike (i.e. Presidents yesterday just added their rubber stamp).

Of course Arkansas State's Coach and any coach has to take it with a positive grain of salt...because nothing is gained by going negative about a "done deal" for the next 12 years.
06-27-2012 09:36 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Posted this on the Realignment board:

If you apply the new formula to last year it would probably look like this. I am going to assume the "Champions Bowl" is the Cotton Bowl and the new 6th Bowl is going to be the Chick Fil-A. Making the SemiFinals the Fiesta & Sugar Bowls:

Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Oregon
Fiesta Bowl: Alabama vs. Oklahoma State

Orange Bowl: Clemson-(ACC Champ) vs. Michigan
Cotton Bowl: Kansas State vs. Arkansas
Rose Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Stanford
Chick Fil-A Bowl: Baylor vs. South Carolina

SEC 4 Schools
B1G 2 Schools
Big XII 3 Schools
Pac 12 2 Schools
ACC 1 School
06-27-2012 09:36 AM
BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

(06-27-2012 09:36 AM)Maize Wrote:  Posted this on the Realignment board:

If you apply the new formula to last year it would probably look like this. I am going to assume the "Champions Bowl" is the Cotton Bowl and the new 6th Bowl is going to be the Chick Fil-A. Making the SemiFinals the Fiesta & Sugar Bowls:

SEC 4 Schools
B1G 2 Schools
Big XII 3 Schools
Pac 12 2 Schools
ACC 1 School

No doubt, the bulk of the time during these last few meetings was spent honing a setup that would often result in the above scenario.
06-27-2012 09:40 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-27-2012 09:40 AM)BroncoFan78 Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 09:36 AM)Maize Wrote:  Posted this on the Realignment board:

SEC 4 Schools
B1G 2 Schools
Big XII 3 Schools
Pac 12 2 Schools
ACC 1 School

No doubt, the bulk of the time during these last few meetings was spent honing a setup that would often result in the above scenario.

The Key for the BIG EAST going forward is to win. Schedule a couple of good OOC games and lose no more then 1 game to get "access" to a Top Level Bowl-(Big 6 Bowl Game) if not in the Semifinals.
06-27-2012 09:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.