Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Would you support an apprenticeship program in this country?
Yes
No
On the fence
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Would you be for an apprenticeship program in the US?
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Would you be for an apprenticeship program in the US?
I know, I know. I've brought this up before, but I want know who all would agree or disagree with apprenticeships being an educational pathway in this country (or your state for that matter) and why. Do you have a specific system that you would like to see us emulate?
06-26-2012 12:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: Would you be for an apprenticeship program in the US?
Who would lead the program? Donald Trump? 03-lmfao
06-26-2012 12:42 AM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
First two years of HS are core classes (english, maths, basic sciences). 2nd two years students make a decision to pursue college prep (advanced core classes, research methods, etc.) or technical degree (I would recommend contracting out with some local community colleges or businesses who train and certify). Technical degrees are ready to join the work force with a skill and HS diploma, while college prep actually have the skills needed to succeed in college.

I'm assuming this is what you mean.
06-26-2012 12:49 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2012 12:42 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Who would lead the program? Donald Trump? 03-lmfao

Ha. Great. 03-banghead
06-26-2012 12:49 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2012 12:49 AM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  First two years of HS are core classes (english, maths, basic sciences). 2nd two years students make a decision to pursue college prep (advanced core classes, research methods, etc.) or technical degree (I would recommend contracting out with some local community colleges or businesses who train and certify). Technical degrees are ready to join the work force with a skill and HS diploma, while college prep actually have the skills needed to succeed in college.

That's one method and a good one. We need to really decide what absolutely, positively requires 4 years of college and what can be learned in a couple of years on the job. Right now we really consider the jobs that apprentices work up to are plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc. In countries like Germany a qualified person could earn a CPA from apprenticing from 16 to 19. There are about 350 registered job titles under their program.
06-26-2012 01:00 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-26-2012 01:00 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(06-26-2012 12:49 AM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  First two years of HS are core classes (english, maths, basic sciences). 2nd two years students make a decision to pursue college prep (advanced core classes, research methods, etc.) or technical degree (I would recommend contracting out with some local community colleges or businesses who train and certify). Technical degrees are ready to join the work force with a skill and HS diploma, while college prep actually have the skills needed to succeed in college.
That's one method and a good one. We need to really decide what absolutely, positively requires 4 years of college and what can be learned in a couple of years on the job. Right now we really consider the jobs that apprentices work up to are plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc. In countries like Germany a qualified person could earn a CPA from apprenticing from 16 to 19. There are about 350 registered job titles under their program.

Absolutely.
06-26-2012 05:02 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Of course. Only a moron would disagree.
06-26-2012 05:26 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
I have essentially learned my job with on the job training and "apprenticing". When I graduated I knew I wouldn't find a job in my field and luckily my bosses were willing to teach me how to use live audio equipment and I have made a pretty lucrative career out of something my bosses worked with me on for about a year.
06-26-2012 09:07 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I think that it could also solve our uner-25 unemployment.
06-26-2012 12:01 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-26-2012 12:26 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I know, I know. I've brought this up before, but I want know who all would agree or disagree with apprenticeships being an educational pathway in this country (or your state for that matter) and why. Do you have a specific system that you would like to see us emulate?

Quite frankly, since the avg % of college degreed people in the US is around 30% - this is exactly what should be happening with the majority of the other 70%.

Unfortunately, the education lobby has successfully created a system where they try and force feed a college prep curriculum on the vast majority of H.S. students. This means that when they graduate - they have NO marketable skill sets other than they showed up and graduated.
06-26-2012 12:39 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Agree, Crebman. Many school districts have totally cut out Vocational Ed programs, which to me is silly. Many kids could have benefitted from them and gotten started in a technical or trades career had they not been cut.

The trend towards trying to fit all kids into a college track is like trying to pound round pegs into square holes.
06-26-2012 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Bill Clinton pushed the idea of an apprenticeship/vocational-education/work-study program. Because it came from a democrat, republicans opposed it and it never got anywhere with a republican congress. But it was a damned good idea. Still is.
06-26-2012 12:56 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
As long as a proposal like this was enacted at the state or local level, I'm fine with it. What we don't need is for the Feds to propose or fund it, because then it gets politicized and your state can lose funding for many reasons. Local control of local education under state guidelines is a states' rights issue.
06-26-2012 01:04 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Depends all on how its implemented...

If states and school districts want to put up more schools with that mentality? *GREAT*

If the fed wants to 'drive us there' then not so much..
06-26-2012 01:05 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
(06-26-2012 01:04 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  As long as a proposal like this was enacted at the state or local level, I'm fine with it. What we don't need is for the Feds to propose or fund it, because then it gets politicized and your state can lose funding for many reasons. Local control of local education under state guidelines is a states' rights issue.

I'm pretty sure NC offers it as an alternative option of type of HS diploma. I know my school had a three track graduation option (we did things differently from the state, all of which was pretty much a tougher curriculum). We had college prep, technical, and community college tracks. But the only one they ever pushed was college prep. Our counselors were relatively useless, and that's where a lot of the problem was.
06-26-2012 02:28 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I'm fine with vocational schools popping up around my town. i'd also like to see internships where a kid studying to be an electrician works with one during the summers when there is no school. A lot of these trades need to be licensed and a course on obtaining a contractors license might help.
06-26-2012 02:41 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2012 02:28 PM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  
(06-26-2012 01:04 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  As long as a proposal like this was enacted at the state or local level, I'm fine with it. What we don't need is for the Feds to propose or fund it, because then it gets politicized and your state can lose funding for many reasons. Local control of local education under state guidelines is a states' rights issue.

I'm pretty sure NC offers it as an alternative option of type of HS diploma. I know my school had a three track graduation option (we did things differently from the state, all of which was pretty much a tougher curriculum). We had college prep, technical, and community college tracks. But the only one they ever pushed was college prep. Our counselors were relatively useless, and that's where a lot of the problem was.

Yeah. I wonder what high school you went to because we have the same description of what went on.

The names of what we had were Career Track, College-Tech, and College-University. The funding and attention to the career track was spotty. My two county schools had CNA training, Agriculture, Cosmetology, Auto-tech, Carpentry, Culinary Arts and I believe we had masonry. If one school didn't have a program, you could bus to the other for half of the day.

Where our counselors really messed up was the College-Tech pathway. They really tried to push you past the middle track into University because of the federal funding for smaller towns that send the most kids to universities. (I'm going to be real Canadian and differentiate between Unis and colleges). They've really contributed to this culture where it's better to have a degree and $50,000 + in debt than to get an AAS with $1,000 in debt.
06-26-2012 04:04 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-26-2012 12:26 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I know, I know. I've brought this up before, but I want know who all would agree or disagree with apprenticeships being an educational pathway in this country (or your state for that matter) and why. Do you have a specific system that you would like to see us emulate?

I think it should be apprenticeship programs.

The US is a big country, I'd hate to see central planning hand down a single program or try to force everyone to emulate one style.
06-26-2012 04:53 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(06-26-2012 12:56 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Bill Clinton pushed the idea of an apprenticeship/vocational-education/work-study program. Because it came from a democrat, republicans opposed it and it never got anywhere with a republican congress. But it was a damned good idea. Still is.

Yes. Historically speaking, it was THE manner in which a man evolved from mere poverty to prosperity for many decades.
06-26-2012 05:56 PM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
To answer the question...Yes. I think schools should offer an apprenticeship program. This country is in dire need of skilled labor. I can't tell you how many roofers I called before I got one to come out and do the work. At least 15. I've had the same problem with plumbers. Most things I can fix myself but sometimes I need a professional and its way too hard to find a good one.

On a side note the crew that actually did the work on my roof were of..shall we say...illegal decent(Mexican) and they did great work, were very friendly, and CLEANED UP before they left. That doesn't mean they should't be deported though...
06-26-2012 06:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.