Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Penn State and the death penalty ...
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
OT: Penn State and the death penalty ...
Until now, I have said that the guilty will be prosecuted, fired, or sued, and the rest of us should just move on.

But the more we learn about this situation, the worse it gets. There was a complete institutional failure at Penn State and with the local law enforcement. This wasn't just one guy who went bad. Many people were involved. The lives of several boys were irreparably harmed while supposedly responsible adults did nothing ... all to protect the good name of Penn State.

What happened at Penn State was much worse than anything that occurred at SMU or in the Southwest Conference in the 1980's. The school and the football program need to be punished. I don't think the NCAA can just ignore this situation or sweep it under the rug. And they can't hide behind the fact that this wasn't an on-field issue. Even though this situation didn't occur on the field, the Penn State athletic department and administration were deeply involved. Penn State deserves the death penalty.

I was a student at SMU during the death penalty and when football was reinstated. I've had season tickets for several years. I've personally seen the damage the death penalty did to SMU, so I don't take it lightly.

This punishment would not be too harsh; it would not mean death to Penn State football. PSU is a huge state school in the Big 10 ... it would recover much faster than SMU was able to. The punishment wouldn't be too severe - it would fit the crime.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 08:42 PM by UConn-SMU.)
06-22-2012 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: OT: Penn State and the death penalty ...
they should give those losers the death pentalty...they won't because people value money over everything else in life and it's fracking pathetic.
06-22-2012 08:03 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
It would be the opening Pitt, WVU, Cuse, Rutgers, UConn, Temple and UMD have all wished for for generations. Whichever one could capitalize best on the death penalty (probably one, maybe two of the first three) would be setup for the next 30 or 40 years. That being said the total lack of institutional control certainly would fit the needs for the death penalty.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 08:20 PM by brista21.)
06-22-2012 08:19 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
The students would riot again like they did after JoePa was fired for looking the other way. If I was a recruit I would have a hard time going into that locker room or shower knowing how many boys were sexually assaulted where I was showering nor could I be a part of a program willing to look the other way.
06-22-2012 08:40 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(06-22-2012 08:40 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  The students would riot again like they did after JoePa was fired for looking the other way. If I was a recruit I would have a hard time going into that locker room or shower knowing how many boys were sexually assaulted where I was showering nor could I be a part of a program willing to look the other way.

That's what they make teargas for...
06-22-2012 08:43 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I haven't thought about it, but I agree Penn State should get the death penalty. Their officials absolutely covered this up for years to save their rep, at the expense of all those little boys. That is horrific.
06-22-2012 09:17 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Penn State should get the death penalty - no doubt about it.
06-22-2012 09:22 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
This is a legal matter, and the NCAA should have nothing to do with it.
06-22-2012 09:27 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
It's a total lack of institutional control - in the worst manner possible. The NCAA has a lot to do with it.
06-22-2012 09:29 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
I find it funny how SMU fans are the ones leading this parade (me included btw).
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
money, cars, etc all affect fair level of competition. What was done in the name of football there affects human beings and society. Absolutely that football program should be shut down and not reinstated until not a single person involved in a university culture that could allow that remains - from football staff all the way up.
Advertisement

Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
Well, remember the NCAA is looking into this. Not yet at the Notice of Inquiry stage, but I imagine it has to get there soon... probably after the federal government is done looking at PSU for potential federal laws violated due to this.

NCAA notice to PSU
06-22-2012 09:37 PM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
A school cheats by gaining clear communication and financial advantages in an unfair way, and cover it up, you get about 3 years of cold storage.

A school's staff knowingly covers up a rape scandal, and continues to allow it inside closed doors for a decade and a half, implicated multiple law enforcement officers, athletic director and under-staff, assistant coaches, the winningest head coach in Division I history, and even a few former players...

What is the appropriate punishment for a football program, nay, a university's entire athletic department?
06-22-2012 09:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
frogforever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
Re: OT: Penn State and the death penalty ...
There are clear requirements to get the DP, Penn St. is not eligible. The DP is a repeat offender deterrent specifically instated in football to go after SMU for repeatedly cheating while on probation/sanctions.
06-22-2012 11:43 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
FOX News was talking about PSU getting the Death Penalty, due to the lack of institution control and the cover up of child abuse.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012 08:19 AM by Wilkie01.)
06-22-2012 11:52 PM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(06-22-2012 09:52 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  What is the appropriate punishment for a football program, nay, a university's entire athletic department?

I don't have a complete answer for that, but I'd include some kind of sanctions that restrict Penn State from postseason participation and television appearances. I think they need to be hit as hard as SMU was if not harder.
06-23-2012 12:01 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
There is one helluva difference between breaking some NCAA football rules, and covering up child molestation for many years, and continuing to allow it to happen on campus, so as not to taint the university's athletic program. I don't even have an idea what would be appropriate punishment, but it's a helluva lot more than the death penalty.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012 06:23 AM by TripleA.)
06-23-2012 06:22 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Asking the NCAA to investigate/punish Penn State is akin to asking your HOA to investigate/punish a murder in the neighborhood. Sure they have *some* authority, but that's not really a matter that falls under their jurisdiction. ALl those involved in covering up Sandusky's behavior and crimes will get punished either in criminal or civil court.

Heck, even PSU acknowledged that in their press release last night basically begging the victims to settle with them and not sue the university. Penn State will pay a heavy price for their indiscretions, but to punish the current student athletes for something that had no bearing on the conduct of student athletes or their supervision is way out of the NCAA's jurisdiction.
06-23-2012 07:40 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(06-22-2012 09:29 PM)Comet Wrote:  I find it funny how SMU fans are the ones leading this parade (me included btw).

Well, what is worse? A) giving a player a new Nissan 300Z to play football for your school, or B) raping little boys and covering it up? I say "B" is worse. And like I said, the death penalty would hurt Penn State for a few years, but they would recover.

I think we're on the right side of this.

If the NCAA does nothing to Penn State, I'd hate to be the next non-Top 25 program to get into trouble with the NCAA .... they're really going to get punished.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012 08:16 AM by UConn-SMU.)
06-23-2012 08:15 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Don't worry guys, the NCAA will add Penn States penalty s and UM's to UCF's coming sanctions.
06-23-2012 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.