Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU "insider": Big East move unlikely with Top 4 commmittee model
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
BYU "insider": Big East move unlikely with Top 4 commmittee model
@SBShoganai is a self-proclaimed "insider" on BYU athletic matters. Here's a collection of a few of his recent tweets (all on June 20):

I've heard in the last week that new western Big East schools are very pessimistic about the chances of BYU accepting an invitation.

I'll stick by what I've said to this point - it's too early to know for sure. But, initial impressions aren't good from the BE perspective.

I think the Big East was hoping the playoff format would encourage BYU to join a league. But that is less likely right now.

"Best Four" is the "best outcome" for BYU and independent status in general. Be a Top 4 committee pick and you're in. Simple and attainable.

I have also been told that SDSU is pushing hard to have Fresno added in lieu of BYU and Air Force saying no.
06-22-2012 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: BYU "insider": Big East move unlikely with Top 4 commmittee model
I doubt the Big East will wait much longer.
06-22-2012 03:45 PM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
2 in cali, texas and florida ain't too bad of a consolation prize
06-22-2012 03:48 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I'm ok with Fresno. Let's just get it done.
06-22-2012 03:50 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

If Fresno played ball, Fresno would be helpful for Boise to get into the Big West. The Big West would love to add Fresno. Makes it an even 12. Gives the Big West another California school.
06-22-2012 03:59 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If that's what they choose to do then it's ther loss.
06-22-2012 04:02 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-22-2012 03:45 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  I doubt the Big East will wait much longer.

Actually, this is the first time maybe in the Big East existence that they have time on their side.

They already have 12 members set for 2013 and Navy most likely now in 2014 instead of 2015.

Big East can't even begin renegotiating with ESPN till Sept...and that is a 60 day window...so it would be November at the earliest that the Big East could open up full negotiations with the likes of NBC and others.

Big East has time...plus add the fact that BYU has decisions to make with their own ESPN Deal and/or get out/cancel some upcoming games...but both sides seem to be willing to wait it out...as the Networks have told the Big East that BYU is the #1 target...and the conf is giving them plenty of time to sort things out...let alone wait to hear back OFFICIALLY from the likes of NBC by November.
06-22-2012 04:04 PM
Bleedin Blue Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
Still not seeing how BYU is better off independent. The commitee will reportedly focus on two things when selecting the playoff teams: conference champions and strength of schedule. BOTH of those would be improved by moving to the Big East.

It is conceivable that BYU could be ranked #3, and miss out to a conference champion ranked #4 or #5. So, in that sense, being a conference champion could be the difference between getting in and being skipped over.

Also, the second thing the committee will reportedly take into account is strength of schedule. It is no secret that BYU has been struggling to schedule quality opponets since the move to independence. This will only get tougher moving forward as conferences continue to expand and move to a nine game schedule. Joining the Big East fills up eight games, late in the season, with quality opponets (atleast when compared to teams they played last year like Idaho State). The 3 to 4 quality opponets they're scheduling now (Texas, GT, a couple others) could still be scheduled, where they are now, early in the season.

I fail to see how this playoff structure favors independence over a move to the Big East for BYU.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 04:05 PM by Bleedin Blue.)
06-22-2012 04:04 PM
MiddleTiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Given that their old conference mates have virtually nothing positive to say about dealing with them, then I am OK if they don't join. Their problem is they are jealous of Utah and now that the Utes are part of the so-called Big 5, independence is the only way BYU can save face.
06-22-2012 04:05 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I tend to think BYU wants to wait and see what the BE TV deal could look like. If it's acceptable, they'll jump because it's not just about access to the playoffs, but to bowls and the BCS in general. The TV deal won't be known until November at the earliest, so any talk of BYU jumping in now or being forever lost is silly. Besides, they can't even begin to join until 2015 anyway, so what's the rush? And if BYU says no, the BE can add Fresno for 2014 just as easily.
06-22-2012 04:07 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Would love to have BYU, but Air Force is almost as good. How many thousands of ex-Air Force officers and enlisted men are out there across the nation who might tune into their games? National name recogntion, academic excellence, sensible geography and a natural rivalry for Navy.
06-22-2012 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Let's see who BYU adds for the future schedules. It has been mentioned before but
November games in 2012
Idaho,@SJSU,@NMSU
2013 need 4 more games. Only one at ND in November
2014 need 5 more games, only one vs USM in November
2015 need 7 games, only one in November @ Houston

So if their fans enjoy such schedules in future ore power to them. But that schedule will not get them anywhere near the top 4
06-22-2012 04:17 PM
Bleedin Blue Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(06-22-2012 04:05 PM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  Given that their old conference mates have virtually nothing positive to say about dealing with them, then I am OK if they don't join. Their problem is they are jealous of Utah and now that the Utes are part of the so-called Big 5, independence is the only way BYU can save face.

I can attest to that. Though we have never been conference mates, i live in eastern Idaho where it's virtually a 50/50 split between BSU/BYU fans. Most BYU fans are stuck in the 80s, when they last won a national championship. They have huge egos, and think that they are a national powerhouse, despite struggling to crack the top 25. BYU, if let in, will soon start causing problems and asking for special treatment, since in their eyes, they are bigger and better than everyone else in the conference (even if they lose half the conference games). Just look at the fans' attitude towards the Big East, they don't want in, because they still have Pac 12/Big 12 aspirations. BYU reportedly was in discussions with the Big 12, but the conference moved on because they were unwilling to meet BYU's high demands. That says it all right there.

I agree with you that they are bitter with the PAC for choosing Utah over them, but of course they won't ever admit it. It bruised their egos quite a bit, because after all, BYU was much more "worthy." /sarcasm

Having said ALL that, I still would be willing to let them in, because they do bring a lot to the conferece (just not as much as they think they do). I would still be willing to put up with it all if it means adding that name, that passionate fan base, and those tv viewers to the conference. Let's just be careful not to give them the whole house or anything, because Fresno would work just fine, and they would come in without the demands and baggage.
06-22-2012 04:24 PM
SleepingGiantsFan Offline
1st String

(06-22-2012 04:05 PM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  Given that their old conference mates have virtually nothing positive to say about dealing with them, then I am OK if they don't join. Their problem is they are jealous of Utah and now that the Utes are part of the so-called Big 5, independence is the only way BYU can save face.

I graduated from SDSU in 1981. During that time I went from being elated that BYU won a national championship in 1984 to be elated when they lost games, even outside the conference.

Too many post patterns called in games BYU already led by 5+ TDs deep into the fourth quarter when Lavell Edwards was there. Not just against SDSU, against everybody. (That admittedly ceased once Edwards retired.) BYU complaining again and again about having to play the conference hoops tournament on UNLV's home court when almost nobody else in the conference was so butthurt about it, resulting in three years in Denver during which the MWC lost a lot of money in unsold tourney tickets. A special black screen separating BYU and UNLV supporters which had to be put up later at the Thomas & Mack after Lee Cummard's wife and her friends got into some sort of battle with some Rebels fans. (Ask BYU and UNLV fans and you'll get two different versions of what occurred.)

I could go on but the point is, although there are inevitably some problems between schools within a conference, the bad blood involving BYU far out-weighed any other member of the WAC/MWC.

So in the unlikely event BYU joins the MWC, I'll welcome them for the uptick in competition and money they would bring. However, if they don't come, I won't miss them in the slightest.
06-22-2012 04:30 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I agree with KL. The BE has time. No rush. IF BYU comes, great. They kick up the contract about $200K per FB team. Not enough to worry about. After that, everybody else is the same.

If not BYU, then AFA or Fresno, or whoever, will be #14. Works for me. What is more important is that nobody leaves, and we get the best TV contract possible.
06-22-2012 04:50 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

99% of them are jealous...and/or have down right hatred for the school and/or its religion.

BYU always had a lot to be proud...was generally always the attendance leader in FOOTBALL (by a lot most years) and also had the largest basketball arena in their conf as well.

I laugh at the thought that because of what a few people say on a message board...that anyone would suggest that should disqualify (or qualify) them for membership.
06-22-2012 04:51 PM
Advertisement

SleepingGiantsFan Offline
1st String

(06-22-2012 04:51 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

99% of them are jealous...and/or have down right hatred for the school and/or its religion.

BYU always had a lot to be proud...was generally always the attendance leader in FOOTBALL (by a lot most years) and also had the largest basketball arena in their conf as well.

I laugh at the thought that because of what a few people say on a message board...that anyone would suggest that should disqualify (or qualify) them for membership.

Jealous I'll buy as one of the reasons for our aversion to BYU. But the hatred is limited totally to the university. Maybe an Aztec or a Bronco has made derogatory comments about the LDS faith but at least in the case of SDSU, the only guy I'm aware of is somebody who most of us would disown if we could. So I ask that you kindly don't lump us all together in that sense.

As to your final comment, who suggested that "what a few people say on a message board" will determine the composition of this or any other conference? Doesn't mean that conference composition isn't debated on dozens of such boards, however, nor should it.
06-22-2012 05:05 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
i'm 100% behind Fresno State being added...Olympic Sports to the BW with BSU (hopefully)
06-22-2012 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

(06-22-2012 04:15 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Would love to have BYU, but Air Force is almost as good. How many thousands of ex-Air Force officers and enlisted men are out there across the nation who might tune into their games? National name recogntion, academic excellence, sensible geography and a natural rivalry for Navy.

Actually, Air Force really isnt close. They have a national name, but they are limited as to how good they can ever be with thier recruiting requirements. Fresno has no name, but they do have a much higher ceiling and more potential---so while Air Force is the sexier name--Fresno may be the better pick.

The botom line here is that we are going to have to play our way into anything we get. We will get no help, no leg up, and will have extra roadblocks in the way just like the old non-AQ's had. Anyone added needs to have the potential of winning a national championship. Air Force cannot do that---ever. If strength of schedule will be a criteria, we must add the most consistantly strong team available. The problem is that there is a huge drop off between BYU and Air Force/Fresno. Personally, I am still holding out hope for BYU.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 05:33 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-22-2012 05:31 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Put the call in to Fresno this Monday, If They Hee Haw around like BYU, AFA did, Then put the call in for USM, I know They would accept Yesterday and bring Great Football. If not them, then return East and Grab ECU. We need to get this Show on the Road !
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 05:55 PM by CardFan1.)
06-22-2012 05:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.