Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another Big East screw job by the media
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Another Big East screw job by the media
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...off-format

This time by Brett McMurphy:

Quote:Q: How much will the new playoff format be worth and how much will each conference receive?

A: The current BCS model is worth about $180 million annually and estimates for the new playoff model will be at least double that -- $360 million annually. The commissioners still have to determine how that money is divided up, but this much we know: the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC will get the biggest shares. CBSSports.com reported Monday that the revenue split will be based on the league's past performances, specifically Top 25 finishes in the final BCS rankings since 1998, the first year of the BCS. The past participation model is one way to justify the Big Five conferences receiving the majority of the money. Other elements under consideration include market share value. Under the current system, each of the power conferences received a minimum of $22.3 million. In the new model, I wouldn't be surprised if the five power leagues receive at least $50 million annually. The other leagues -- Big East, Mountain West, Conference USA, Mid-American and Sun Belt -- will get much smaller shares than the Big Five, but more than the $2.64 million they each receive now. The Big East, which received $22.3 million in the current system, is no longer considered an elite conference and will not get the same as the Big Five leagues in the future format. However, they could get an amount much less than the Big Five, but more than the remaining non-power conferences. This is still to be determined. Also, each conference will receive additional revenue for each team it qualifies in the national semifinals.

I am sure McMurphy is just reporting what his sources are telling him, but he certainly doesn't have to present it in this matter-of-fact language. And where (again) is the BE leadership?? Nick Carparelli? Joe Bailey? You need to do something here guys!! Or do you like getting bent over?
06-21-2012 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies
RE: Another Big East screw job by the media
McMurphy is mad butthurt, yo.
06-21-2012 02:43 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
It is not too different than the language used by Schlabach although he doesn't say "not elite" :http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8080904/college-football-details-need-ironed-playoff
06-21-2012 02:51 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Ouch. I wonder when the revenue figures will be finalized. I'm fine with the Big East not receiveing the same amount as the SEC, but I'll have a big problem if the Big East gets the same as the Sun Belt.

Going back to 1998 totally screws our conference. Whoever was representin the Big East should have had the balls and the foresight to demand that the "past perfmance" rating not go back that far. We are the only conference hurt by such a rating because we are the only conferecnce with teams that didn't play 1-A football in 1998.
06-21-2012 02:55 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
The media has nothing to do with why the new Big East will not be considered a 'power conference' going forward,it is because it will be a shell of its former self.

It will still be head and shoulders above the former Non-AQs as far as $ income for its members.
06-21-2012 02:57 PM
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
I don't know where it's at anymore, but someone posted a link where someone speaking for the BE said they were not willing to take less money than what they (BE) were getting. I don't have the time right now to find it, but anyways... it's out here somewhere.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

I find it comical that schools like Texas essentially carry the TV viewership for their conference, yet have no qualms splitting tv revenue equally with conference members who fail to move the needle with tv viewers.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 03:45 PM by Topkat.)
06-21-2012 03:30 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
McMurphy has never been a BE supporter I have told you guys any times. Nothing surprising about it. Find a BE post from him that paints the league in a good light?
06-21-2012 03:34 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Winning solves everything. Let's get to it guys.
06-21-2012 03:36 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(06-21-2012 03:30 PM)Topkat Wrote:  I don't know where it's at anymore, but someone posted a link where someone speaking for the BE said they were not willing to take less money than what they (BE) were getting. I don't have the time right now to find it, but anyways... it's out here somewhere.

I find it comical that schools like Texas essentially carry the TV viewership for their conference, yet have no qualms splitting tv revenue equally with conference members who fail to move the needle with tv viewers.

I know both McMurphy and Joe Schad have previously reported that any conference (including the Big East) would not be getting less money than they get now.

As for Texas, they didn't split the money equally before this year. The XII used an appearance credit system to distribute TV revenue. It was the inequality that drove Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Mizzou out of the conference. That said, the XII was the last conference to adopt equal revenue sharing.
06-21-2012 03:54 PM
GeminiCoog Online
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
(06-21-2012 03:36 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Winning solves everything. Let's get to it guys.

This. Absolutely this. Winning is the cure.
06-21-2012 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
(06-21-2012 03:54 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(06-21-2012 03:30 PM)Topkat Wrote:  I don't know where it's at anymore, but someone posted a link where someone speaking for the BE said they were not willing to take less money than what they (BE) were getting. I don't have the time right now to find it, but anyways... it's out here somewhere.

I know both McMurphy and Joe Schad have previously reported that any conference (including the Big East) would not be getting less money than they get now.

As for Texas, they didn't split the money equally before this year. The XII used an appearance credit system to distribute TV revenue. It was the inequality that drove Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Mizzou out of the conference. That said, the XII was the last conference to adopt equal revenue sharing.

Yep, pretty sure the B12 revenue sharing is well known.

The comedy of all this posturing is telling someone you don't deserve the same money because you haven't earned it.. yet sharing tv money equally with conference mates even though ratings and # of tv appearances by conference members are skewed to those that draw big tv ratings. At the very least, it strains the credibility of the "who deserves what" argument.

In any event, lets see what shakes out.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 04:13 PM by Topkat.)
06-21-2012 04:11 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-21-2012 02:43 PM)Psicosis Wrote:  McMurphy is mad butthurt, yo.

Yep...ever since the Big East Presidents fired HIS MAIN SOURCE (Marinatto), he's been on a scorched earth policy on the Big East.

Think about it...the national media PRAISED the conf for getting rid of Marinatto...all except one.

Care to take a guess who was the ONE?

That's right...McMurphy...who immediately wrote a feature article how Marinatto was a VICTIM...then used him and Tranghese in f/u articles as "unnamed big east sources" and tried to blast the darkest picture in regards to Big East TV Rights...all to make his buddy look good.
06-21-2012 04:19 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Its just another blog, let it all play out.
06-21-2012 04:22 PM
socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
(06-21-2012 04:06 PM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  
(06-21-2012 03:36 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Winning solves everything. Let's get to it guys.

Huh? In terms of BCS games the Big East has held its own. I know my Bearcats haven't helped matters but historically the conference champs. have been competitive (unlike you know who.) Hasn't and will not change a thing imo. Those in the power positions will always find a reason to shut this conference out.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 04:45 PM by socTHEgreat.)
06-21-2012 04:43 PM
broncodude Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(06-21-2012 04:43 PM)socTHEgreat Wrote:  
(06-21-2012 04:06 PM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  

Huh? In terms of BCS games the Big East has held its own. I know my Bearcats haven't helped matters but historically the conference champs. have been competitive (unlike you know who.) Hasn't and will not change a thing imo. Those in the power positions will always find a reason to shut this conference out.

It will be very interesting to see who has the best record, BE or ACC in 2013, BSU will be back to full strength then, I bet the BE has the highest rating. When Navy comes in, hope BYU at the same time, things will change big time.
06-21-2012 05:04 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
What bugs me is that the Big East did take a hit but it wasn't on the football side of things it was in basketball where the conference went from number one to one of the top six conference.

Football adds Boise State, Houston, UCF, SDSU, SMU, Memphis Navy, & Temple while saying goodbye to Cuse, Pitt, and WVU.

Syracuse has been awful in football, one of the worst major programs in the last ten years and a good reason the Big East brand took a hit during this period.

Pitt has been up and down, solid program that has had coaching issues.

WVU is a top 25 program but they are lower than Cincinnati and Boise State in the five year toal for BCS rankings. Still WVU is a major loss because they have won a few BCS games.

If the Big East adds BYU or Air Force the conference gets even stronger. The funny thing is that if Syracuse or Pitt had been better than people probably wouldn't have said the Big East stinks, lose those schools and now its the end of the world. I can see just about every new school becoming a force in college football, I can't say the same thing for the some of teams that left.
06-21-2012 05:57 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
It's going to be funny (and sad) when we continue to finish #3 or #4 in the final rankings at the end of each season and they continue to exclude us as a "power conference".

Eventually, you would think the media will notice this discrepancy.
06-21-2012 06:05 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-21-2012 05:57 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  What bugs me is that the Big East did take a hit but it wasn't on the football side of things it was in basketball where the conference went from number one to one of the top six conference.

One of the Top 6?

How many in the Top 6 had these many teams in the NCAA Tourn?

Even taking out Syracuse, Pitt and WVU, Big East had:

2011 NCAA's:
UCONN (National Champion)
Marquette
Notre Dame
Cincinnati
Louisville
St Johns
Georgetown
Villanova
Memphis*
Temple*

2012 NCAA's:
Louisville
Marquette
Cincinnati
Georgetown
USF
Notre Dame
UCONN
Memphis*
Temple*

Answer....NO ONE but the NEW BIG EAST!

Yeah...I guess the Big East is just one of the Top 6 Basketball conferences....03-lmfao
06-21-2012 06:18 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
It's beyond me that the the Big East agreed to all this without a fight, so I doubt the difference in revenues s going to be as bad BMM is describing.

BMM is a professional douchbag. Funny how some UCF fan are finally figuring this out.....
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 10:05 PM by CyberBull.)
06-21-2012 07:22 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(06-21-2012 07:22 PM)CyberBull Wrote:  It's beyond me that the the Big East agreed to all this without a fight, so I doubt the inference in revenues s going to be as bad BMM is describing.

BMM is a professional douchbag. Funny how some UCF fan are finally figuring this out.....

Yep. He was "fair and balanced" when his barbs were solely aimed at USF...

USFFan
06-21-2012 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.