Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USM is the same as Temple...?
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
USM is the same as Temple...?
I come from a part of the world that stresses education above all else, so I spend much of my time reading about institutions of higher learning. The Carnegie Foundation publishes a taxonomy of these institutions that categorizes them in dimensions like size, programs offered, selectivity, and so on.

At the Carnegie website, it is possible to search for institutions by name, and then, having found an institution by name, to find all institutions that fall into the same category in one or more of these Carnegie dimensions. There are nine such dimensions listed on the Carnegie Foundation website.

What I find interesting is that Temple and USM fall into the same category in seven of the nine dimensions, and that only three schools located east of the Mississippi River share this seven-value profile. The seven dimensions of compatibility are "level," "control," "student population," "undergraduate program," "enrollment profile," "undergraduate student profile," "basic research," and "community engagement." The third similarly-categorized school is Western Michigan... Temple's conference-mate in the MAC!

Temple's Carnegie page...

Southern Miss...

In light of this basic sameness (not "in lieu of"... we're smart so we know this!), we should probably establish some sort of outreach program at each other's campuses. Maybe you can come down to Hattiesburg, and we'll take you "tubing" and play the banjo for you. In return, you can underwrite some negotiable securities or bonds or something and just give them to all of us. That is the kind of thing people in the Northeast do, I think.

Maybe one day you can even play us in football. Of course, we must take things one small step at a time!
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 01:48 AM by AndreWhere.)
06-21-2012 01:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
RE: USM is the same as Temple...?
lol
06-21-2012 04:06 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(06-21-2012 01:44 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I come from a part of the world that stresses education above all else, so I spend much of my time reading about institutions of higher learning. The Carnegie Foundation publishes a taxonomy of these institutions that categorizes them in dimensions like size, programs offered, selectivity, and so on.

At the Carnegie website, it is possible to search for institutions by name, and then, having found an institution by name, to find all institutions that fall into the same category in one or more of these Carnegie dimensions. There are nine such dimensions listed on the Carnegie Foundation website.

What I find interesting is that Temple and USM fall into the same category in seven of the nine dimensions, and that only three schools located east of the Mississippi River share this seven-value profile. The seven dimensions of compatibility are "level," "control," "student population," "undergraduate program," "enrollment profile," "undergraduate student profile," "basic research," and "community engagement." The third similarly-categorized school is Western Michigan... Temple's conference-mate in the MAC!

Southern Miss...

In light of this basic sameness (not "in lieu of"... we're smart so we know this!), we should probably establish some sort of outreach program at each other's campuses. Maybe you can come down to Hattiesburg, and we'll take you "tubing" and play the banjo for you. In return, you can underwrite some negotiable securities or bonds or something and just give them to all of us. That is the kind of thing people in the Northeast do, I think.

Maybe one day you can even play us in football. Of course, we must take things one small step at a time!

What is the meaning of this ^^^
06-21-2012 11:16 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-21-2012 11:16 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(06-21-2012 01:44 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I come from a part of the world that stresses education above all else, so I spend much of my time reading about institutions of higher learning. The Carnegie Foundation publishes a taxonomy of these institutions that categorizes them in dimensions like size, programs offered, selectivity, and so on.

Southern Miss...

It's a bit of an inside joke. People on the CUSA board were looking at some columnist's ranking of NCAA program value, and some USM fans got mad over being ranked lower than Temple. Thank you for keeping a good attitude. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 02:27 AM by AndreWhere.)
06-22-2012 02:22 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I think the bigger joke is that You guys aren't already a part of the Big East! Great Football tradition, Fan support.
06-22-2012 08:13 AM
Knightshift Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(06-22-2012 08:13 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  I think the bigger joke is that You guys aren't already a part of the Big East! Great Football tradition, Fan support.

:iagree:

Wholeheartily. ECU, too (begrudgingly).
06-22-2012 08:26 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(06-21-2012 11:16 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Southern Miss...

They got mad I said Temple is a significantly better school.
06-22-2012 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.