Ga State - "We're an independent"
06-20-2012 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Ga State - "We're an independent"
(06-20-2012 10:48 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ndependent

Good for the Colonial. Why should they give a team that is a bailing out a possible ticket to the NCAA tourny? I vote for UNT sitting out this year's Sun Belt tourney.
06-20-2012 10:27 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(06-20-2012 10:27 PM)mjs Wrote:  Good for the Colonial. Why should they give a team that is a bailing out a possible ticket to the NCAA tourny? I vote for UNT sitting out this year's Sun Belt tourney.

Are they and FIU definitely gone?
06-21-2012 07:02 AM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(06-20-2012 10:27 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(06-20-2012 10:48 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ndependent

Good for the Colonial. Why should they give a team that is a bailing out a possible ticket to the NCAA tourny? I vote for UNT sitting out this year's Sun Belt tourney.

Would you feel that way if UALR was changing conferences?
06-21-2012 07:28 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(06-21-2012 07:28 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  Would you feel that way if UALR was changing conferences?

I think so, as long as it was voluntary. When you leave, you just have to take your lumps and move on.
06-21-2012 09:26 AM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2012 09:26 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(06-21-2012 07:28 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  Would you feel that way if UALR was changing conferences?

I think so, as long as it was voluntary. When you leave, you just have to take your lumps and move on.

Obviously, I wouldn't be happy about it. Still think it is an appropriate thing for the conference to do if a team chooses to leave. I didn't feel that way about Denver, since their moving to a more western conference made sense for everyone and they were always upfront about their plans.
06-21-2012 11:42 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(06-21-2012 09:26 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  

I competely disagree with the Colonial's actions, or any conference that would ban athletes from playing for conference championships just because their team is switching conferences. The athletes on those teams had nothing to do with the school's decision to switch conferences, yet they are the ones who are penalized.

I think that it is very small minded and petty for a conference to take that stand, and I hope the Sun Belt will allow Georgia State to come in a year early so they can compete for a conference championship. And, with the departure of Denver, things would balance out nicely at 12 for next season with the addition of Georgia State.
06-21-2012 11:44 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

They have the same shot all the independent schools have. But I agree I hope we let them come on in early.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 12:06 PM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
06-21-2012 12:05 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2012 12:05 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  They have the same shot all the independent schools have. But I agree I hope we let them come on in early.

I have no problem with them coming in early, but its not because I feel sorry for them. I surely wouldn't want the Sun Belt represented in the tournament by a team that is bailing out on the conference. With Mitchell coming back (and possibly a couple of their ineligible players) UNT may well accomplish that embarrassing feat (for the conference) this year.
06-21-2012 04:44 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Quote from ESPN Eamonn Brennan:

"It should be noted the Colonial isn't gaining much from this decision; without Georgia State and ODU (and Towson and UNC-Wilmington, who will miss out thanks to poor APR scores), the league will field just seven teams in its 2013 conference tournament. Really, the decision is about enforcement -- about where to draw the line when your league's future may be at stake. At the end of the day, the Colonial is more a victim of realignment than a victor. Faced with the trickle-down economics of conference realignment, when attractive schools are greedily gobbled by leagues higher and higher up the food chain, the CAA is merely trying to create some sort of defensive structure -- a moat around its castle, so to speak. You can hardly fault them for that, no more than you can for enforcing a decade-old rule."
06-21-2012 09:02 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(06-21-2012 09:02 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Quote from ESPN Eamonn Brennan:

"It should be noted the Colonial isn't gaining much from this decision; without Georgia State and ODU (and Towson and UNC-Wilmington, who will miss out thanks to poor APR scores), the league will field just seven teams in its 2013 conference tournament. Really, the decision is about enforcement -- about where to draw the line when your league's future may be at stake. At the end of the day, the Colonial is more a victim of realignment than a victor. Faced with the trickle-down economics of conference realignment, when attractive schools are greedily gobbled by leagues higher and higher up the food chain, the CAA is merely trying to create some sort of defensive structure -- a moat around its castle, so to speak. You can hardly fault them for that, no more than you can for enforcing a decade-old rule."

This "decade old rule" was created to screw the Richmond Spiders who were leaving for the Atlantic 10. Sure they cite American and East Carolina as part of that deal, but nobody expected those programs to be much of a challenge when this petty rule was created.

And sure enough, the Richmond Spiders won the Regular Season Championship of the CAA their last year but because of this rule were not allowed to participate in the CAA Tournament. Now, 10 years later, with the same petty conference commissioner, the league has the same stupid rule. No other league in the country has a similar rule. And there is a decent chance that Old Dominion will win the Regular Season Championship this coming year and be shut out just like the Spiders were 10 years ago.

I hope the Sun Belt and the CUSA find a way to accomodate Georgia State and Old Dominion so the petty guys running the CAA can have their little tournament the way they want it. The CAA is finished as a strong mid-major in my opinion, and with policies like this, they deserve it!
06-21-2012 11:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.