Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

St. Johns Assistant Headed To Charolette
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
St. Johns Assistant Headed To Charolette
St. John's assistant coach Mike Dunlap has been hired as the Charolette Bobcats new head coach. He led the team last season after Lavin was out battling cancer. This is why kids now want to come to SJU, Lavin puts his players and assistants in the NBA.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8070083
06-19-2012 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: St. Johns Assistant Headed To Charolette
(06-19-2012 11:24 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  St. John's assistant coach Mike Dunlap has been hired as the Charolette Bobcats new head coach. He led the team last season after Lavin was out battling cancer. This is why kids now want to come to SJU, Lavin puts his players and assistants in the NBA.

I don't think Lavin put Dunlap into the NBA. Dunlap has been coaching for a long time and also coached in the NBA under George Karl. He had a cup of coffee at St. Johns.

Coaching Experience
1980-85 Loyola Marymount University, Assistant Coach
1985-86 University of Iowa, Graduate Assistant
1986-89 University of Southern California, Assistant Coach
1989-94 California Lutheran University, Head Coach
1994-97 Adelaide 36ers, Head Coach
1997-06 Metropolitan State College of Denver, Head Coach
2006-08 Denver Nuggets, Assistant Coach
2008-09 University of Arizona, Associate Head Coach
2009-10 University of Oregon, Associate Head Coach
2010-present St. John's University, Assistant Coach
06-19-2012 11:31 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-19-2012 11:31 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(06-19-2012 11:24 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  St. John's assistant coach Mike Dunlap has been hired as the Charolette Bobcats new head coach. He led the team last season after Lavin was out battling cancer. This is why kids now want to come to SJU, Lavin puts his players and assistants in the NBA.

I don't think Lavin put Dunlap into the NBA. Dunlap has been coaching for a long time and also coached in the NBA under George Karl. He had a cup of coffee at St. Johns.

Coaching Experience

I'm well aware but both potential players and assistant coaches see Dunlap jumping from SJU to the NBA which is a first an assistant with no head coaching job in the nba or d-1 landed a head coaching job.

You don't think a year of head coaching with Gene Keady advising him helped at all? You don't think could have helped him make that next step and help him use that great knowledge of the game?
06-19-2012 11:43 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(06-19-2012 11:43 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Coaching Experience

I'm well aware but both potential players and assistant coaches see Dunlap jumping from SJU to the NBA which is a first an assistant with no head coaching job in the nba or d-1 landed a head coaching job.

You don't think a year of head coaching with Gene Keady advising him helped at all? You don't think could have helped him make that next step and help him use that great knowledge of the game?

Dunlap is already a better X and O guy than Lavin or Keady, and a better innovator. He sure in heck wasn't brought in for recruiting the East Coast for SJU.

Keady and Lavin are my favorite odd couple, Keady did more with less @Purdue (play hard, play defense) and Lavin did less with more @UCLA (although he had some Sweet Sixteens).
Lavin had more NBA talent on one team than Keady had over 25 years.
06-19-2012 01:23 PM
Longstrangetrip Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(06-19-2012 11:24 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  This is why kids now want to come to SJU, Lavin puts his players and assistants in the NBA.

Jesus what a stretch. 05-nono

Strange hire to say the least, he wasnt even in that final 3. I wish him the best and hope he has some success though. I would love to see the local team improve.
06-19-2012 01:31 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-19-2012 01:23 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(06-19-2012 11:43 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Coaching Experience

Dunlap is already a better X and O guy than Lavin or Keady, and a better innovator. He sure in heck wasn't brought in for recruiting the East Coast for SJU.

Keady and Lavin are my favorite odd couple, Keady did more with less @Purdue (play hard, play defense) and Lavin did less with more @UCLA (although he had some Sweet Sixteens).
Lavin had more NBA talent on one team than Keady had over 25 years.

Well let's be serious, his exposure in NYC helped Dunlap. If he was still an assistant at Oregon he doesn't get this job. Same as if he was an assistant at many other big east schools.

You can say whatever you like but after his second season Lavin has a first round draft pick and an assistant who now is an NBA head coach. Kids see that so do young assistants or even good assistants who have been floundering without any chance at moving up. It sucks to lose someone as good as dunlap but its good for the program in the long run.
06-19-2012 01:44 PM
Advertisement

justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
Does this worry you, Redman? This means Lavin has to do more of the Xs and Os stuff himself, which are his well-known weaknesses.
06-19-2012 02:04 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I don't think players could care less about whether their potential college head coach develops his assistants for NBA jobs. As it stands, if he's as good as the Bobcats think then should be a loss to St John's.
06-19-2012 02:07 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster

Dunlap to Charlotte means that now a young St. John's team will be forced to learn x's-and-o's from Steve Lavin. Uh oh.
06-19-2012 02:15 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-19-2012 02:15 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster

Dunlap to Charlotte means that now a young St. John's team will be forced to learn x's-and-o's from Steve Lavin. Uh oh.

Or he, you know actually hires another assistant coach. Or do you think he leaves that spot vacant?
06-19-2012 02:18 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-19-2012 02:07 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I don't think players could care less about whether their potential college head coach develops his assistants for NBA jobs. As it stands, if he's as good as the Bobcats think then should be a loss to St John's.

It means he gets the best assistants. "Hey our #2 coach is now a NBA head coach. You know he is keeping an eye on our team."
06-19-2012 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(06-19-2012 02:15 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster

I'm sure Lavin will hire some dude who is good with x's/o's....he better or it's gonna be a long year for sju...hahahaha
06-19-2012 09:36 PM
SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
Mike Dunlap is well known in San Diego. He has been said to make his wishes very clear a few years ago.

His dream job was to be Head Coach at San Diego State.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 10:22 PM by SteveAztec.)
06-19-2012 10:21 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Sorry Redman, Lavin didn't get him this job. It was George Karl's glowing review of Dunlap that landed him an NBA job.
06-19-2012 11:18 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-19-2012 11:18 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  Sorry Redman, Lavin didn't get him this job. It was George Karl's glowing review of Dunlap that landed him an NBA job.

You're right, the last two years of his life had nothing to do with him getting this job, it was his job 7 years ago that did it. If he spent the last two years in Oregon I'm sure he would have still landed the job. 03-banghead

You bearcats can't give us anything huh?
06-19-2012 11:35 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
RE: St. Johns Assistant Headed To Charole
(06-19-2012 11:35 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(06-19-2012 11:18 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  Sorry Redman, Lavin didn't get him this job. It was George Karl's glowing review of Dunlap that landed him an NBA job.

You're right, the last two years of his life had nothing to do with him getting this job, it was his job 7 years ago that did it. If he spent the last two years in Oregon I'm sure he would have still landed the job. 03-banghead

A 13-19 record (albeit with a very young team) isn't what got him the interview. Jordan respects Karl tremendously and it is well known Dunlap wanted to get back into the NBA. I think being the #1 assistant on an NBA staff that won 50 games got him this job. Sorry I had to be the one to tell you.
06-20-2012 10:49 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-20-2012 10:49 AM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  

A 13-19 record (albeit with a very young team) isn't what got him the interview. Jordan respects Karl tremendously and it is well known Dunlap wanted to get back into the NBA. I think being the #1 assistant on an NBA staff that won 50 games got him this job. Sorry I had to be the one to tell you.

Does the headline say "Former Nuggets Assistant Headed to Charolette" or does it say "St. John's Assistant to Charolette"?

What do up and coming coaches see? What do recruits see? Even after a bad season Lavin puts two of his own in the league. Did that not just happen? I'm pretty sure it did. Hate to break it to you but none of your coaches are headed to the NBA and you dont have any first round picks either. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012 11:06 AM by NJRedMan.)
06-20-2012 11:05 AM
Longstrangetrip Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(06-20-2012 11:05 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Does the headline say "Former Nuggets Assistant Headed to Charolette" or does it say "St. John's Assistant to Charolette"?

What do up and coming coaches see? What do recruits see? Even after a bad season Lavin puts two of his own in the league. Did that not just happen? I'm pretty sure it did. Hate to break it to you but none of your coaches are headed to the NBA and you dont have any first round picks either. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

No way Lavin gets credit for this guy getting this job, no way at all. And its CHARLOTTE, not Charolette.
06-20-2012 11:18 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-20-2012 11:18 AM)Longstrangetrip Wrote:  

No way Lavin gets credit for this guy getting this job, no way at all. And its CHARLOTTE, not Charolette.

I couldn't care less how you spell it and I care more about the program than Lavin. You guys can all poo poo on this move but it is a good thing for Dunlap, Lavin and St. John's.

UConn will see soon what it's like to replace a coaching legend. Good luck, it's not easy. Believe me, I know.
06-20-2012 11:28 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

That is exactly what you don't want to happen. You want Harkless to stick around for a few years, so you can make an ncaa tourney appearance or win a couple of games. Same deal with assistant coaches, you want them to stick around it makes the program more stable.

Glad you are happy for Harkless, he sure in hell isn't rooting for you.
06-20-2012 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.