http://russellathleticbowl.com/
06-19-2012 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Champs Sports Bowl is now...
Teams get complimentary jock straps in their team's colors. Classy move, I must say.
06-19-2012 09:09 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Hopefully they will provide Memphis jock straps in the correct shades of blue and gray. For some reason (probably because they are still doing what Calipari wanted), Nike continues to use shades which are too light. The tail is wagging the dog in this matter and I am fed up with it.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 09:22 AM by Gray Avenger.)
06-19-2012 09:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(06-19-2012 09:09 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Teams get complimentary jock straps in their team's colors. Classy move, I must say.

LOL!03-lmfao
06-19-2012 01:10 PM
Advertisement

Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(06-19-2012 09:22 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Hopefully they will provide Memphis jock straps in the correct shades of blue and gray. For some reason (probably because they are still doing what Calipari wanted), Nike continues to use shades which are too light. The tail is wagging the dog in this matter and I am fed up with it.

lol, you've been fed up with it for at least as long as I have been posting here...
06-19-2012 01:16 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I guess they won't invite Nike or Adidas schools.
06-19-2012 03:25 PM
AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UNC bb
Kind of a dumb name, should have made it the Tangerine Bowl or Citrus Bowl presented by Russell Athletic
06-19-2012 06:24 PM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(06-19-2012 03:25 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I guess they won't invite Nike or Adidas schools.

What about the Under Armour schools?

[Image: 390825593.png]
06-19-2012 06:27 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The name "Tangerine Bowl" is still available.
06-19-2012 06:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I really bowls would keep one name as their primary name at least. It's hard for the bowls to feel like anything special if they keep changing names. The Peach Bowl is the one that has gone down the most from my standpoint when it dropped its old name.
06-19-2012 07:52 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-19-2012 07:52 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I really bowls would keep one name as their primary name at least. It's hard for the bowls to feel like anything special if they keep changing names. The Peach Bowl is the one that has gone down the most from my standpoint when it dropped its old name.

Huh?

Chick-fil-A Bowl is one of the most successful bowls of today.

Believe they have the longest sellout streak of any bowl game, outside of the Rose Bowl, now at 15 straight games...and is the highest attended non-BCS Bowl Game.

Peach Bowl, now the Chick-fil-a Bowl, is actually so much more successful today than at any time in the Peach Bowl's history.

Its basically done the opposite of what you said above.
06-19-2012 08:01 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
That was only from a personal perspective only (sorry; I wasn't clear enough). It's a bowl game that feels a lot smaller than it should to me because of the dropping of the traditional name. If I was an ACC or SEC fan it probably wouldn't have been as big a deal (in the same way the Citrus Bowl switching was annoying but didn't seem to make it less interesting). As an outsider though, it doesn't feel like a big deal missing the Chick-fil-A Bowl while it would seem like a bigger deal missing the Peach Bowl. I know I'm kind of an outlier with the importance I put on names though.
06-19-2012 08:51 PM
lastchance82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers, BE
I kind of have that opinion as well. The Chick-fil-A Tangerine Bowl would have more history and therefore more prestige to me, whereas the Chick-fil-A Bowl seems to fall into the same category as the Potato or Beef OBrady Bowl.
06-20-2012 11:25 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
^^

The Tangerine is teh Russell Athletics Bowl and the Peach is the Chick-fil-A.

But yes, I would appreicate the Russell Athletics Tangerine Bowl and the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. That way, in five years when say, Facebook or some other company becomes the sponsor of the Tangerine or Peach Bowl we will have some continuity.
06-20-2012 11:40 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
I agree that bowls should keep their traditional name and just tack the sponsor name in front since sponsors constantly change. I hate bowls that are only named for corporate sponsors. All this practice does is blur the game's link with its own history in cases like the Peach Bowl becoming the Chicken Fillet Bowl or the Citrus Bowl becoming the What's In Your Wallet Bowl.

Even new games should have traditional names. Imagine if the Beef O'Brady's Bowl was, instead, the Beef O'Brady's Nectarine Bowl, or Beef O'Brady's Sponge Bowl, or whatever. This way it retains some continuity when the sponsor inevitably changes. That game was originally the Magic Jack Bowl after all. At least the Pinstripe Bowl can keep that name if New Era pulls out.
06-20-2012 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.