Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Big East picked the wrong time not to have a commissioner...
JDCougar Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Coogs
The Big East picked the wrong time not to have a commissioner...
I just listened to this podcast with the interim BE commisioner, Joe Bailey, from Louisville Sports Live today.

Talk about CLUELESS! Now I'm convinced we have absolutely no voice at the table of these BCS meetings. Geesh!..... 03-banghead

If you want to hear this embarrassment, go to this link and click on the "Louisville Sports Live" link

http://espnlouisville.com/page.php?page_id=73
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 10:31 PM by JDCougar.)
06-14-2012 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: The Big East picked the wrong time not to have a commissioner...
Bailey isn't there by himself. Carparelli, the Rutgers AD, Ramsey and Jurich are all there at the BCS meetings, too, I think.
06-14-2012 10:32 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Shoulda had Tagliabue do it.
06-14-2012 10:35 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I think clueless is a bit harsh to describe Bailey. I will say that he was successful at not providing any specific information on anything that was directly asked of him, and shame on the interviewers for not calling that out. A paraphrased exchange in the interview:

LSL: So where do you see the Big East fitting in as compared to the other power conferences?

Bailey: Well I don't really see it like that. I see conferences as a collection of universities working together...blah blah blah...and in the end the Big East stretches from coast to coast and that's valuable

LSL: That's great. The Big East has been bashed a bit in the media and by the presidents and other conferences. How do you react to that? Do you get any sense of that at the BCS meetings?

Bailey: We're all collegial in those meetings. Everything's cordial and that's what I like about college sports is that everything is more focused on providing education...blah blah blah...I've been in the business of athletics for 44 years...blah blah blah...I think things are going great.

LSL: I'm sure that eases the minds of some Louisville fans.
06-14-2012 11:22 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I just listened to the podcast.

I don't get all the angst. The guy is just interim. We have other reps at the BCS meetings, including some from Louisville, who should be speaking up for the BE.

Bad timing to be w/o a full-time commish, but would you rather have Marinatto right now? I thought the guy did much better speaking than Marinatto ever could. He was a little obtuse with some answers, but you're not going to get him to say anything like the BE sucks and shouldn't be at the big boys' table, lol. I thought he would have done better if he had a few talking points puffing up the BE, but he was essentially preaching to the choir.
06-15-2012 12:30 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The guys job is to hold the seat and not make many waves. He is not there to be a major force.
06-15-2012 06:44 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(06-15-2012 06:44 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  The guys job is to hold the seat and not make many waves. He is not there to be a major force.

Good thing....
Hopefully Jurich is taking the lead.
CJ
06-15-2012 06:58 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Agree Jim. Jurich is as good as anyone to have at the table. The Commish job is simply to keep office in order until Aug.
06-15-2012 07:16 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(06-15-2012 06:44 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  The guys job is to hold the seat and not make many waves. He is not there to be a major force.

We don't need to dominate the meetings (we couldn't do that no matter who we sent), but we don't want to get run over with a steamroller or completely ignored either.

Why do I get this image in my mind of the rush party in "Animal House" where Flounder keeps getting put back with the foreign students? Are we Flounder?
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012 08:25 AM by UConn-SMU.)
06-15-2012 08:23 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(06-15-2012 08:23 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

We don't need to dominate the meetings (we couldn't do that no matter who we sent), but we don't want to get run over with a steamroller or completely ignored either.

Why do I get this image in my mind of the rush party in "Animal House" where Flounder keeps getting put back with the foreign students? Are we Flounder?
If that happens, it's going to happen regardless of who we have as commissioner.
06-15-2012 08:33 AM
First Family Forever Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
. Any updates about the new commissioner ?
06-19-2012 10:57 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Bailey said in the last few days that one will likely be in place by September 1.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 11:32 AM by TripleA.)
06-19-2012 11:31 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End

I'd say we're more like Pinto, we're not fat, stupid and drunk.
06-19-2012 11:48 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(06-19-2012 11:48 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  I'd say we're more like Pinto, we're not fat, stupid and drunk.

"Why Pinto?, Why not?"
06-19-2012 12:12 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The same people complaining about Joe Bailey would be off the charts complaining about John Marinnatto.
06-19-2012 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GeminiCoog Online
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
So you'd rather have Marinatto? No, it's not necessarily a good time to have an interim commish. But it's either look for a guy who can get the job done or continue to have a guy who seemed to fumble about in front of the media. Of course, some will trash us no matter what, especially ESPiN. They got on to us for having what they considered to be a lousy commissioner and said we should get rid of them. So we get rid of him after deciding it was the best thing for the league. Their response? "What in the hell is the Big East doing? That league is a farce! They have no leadership whatsoever!"

Like I've said before in previous threads that were related to this topic, some people complain just for the sake of complaining. No matter what we, the Big East, do, there will always be naysayers and doom-and-gloomers out there.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 04:11 PM by GeminiCoog.)
06-19-2012 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SleepingGiantsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU
(06-19-2012 11:48 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  

I'd say we're more like Pinto, we're not fat, stupid and drunk.

Let's face it. We ARE Flounder in one sense. Although the BCS Delta House doesn't want to take us, they have no choice because we're a legacy.

But it could be worse. We could be Jugdesh, aka the nWAC.
06-19-2012 04:39 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'd rather have NOBODY than Marinatto....you'd get the same result without the salary hit.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 10:13 PM by Bearcats#1.)
06-19-2012 09:31 PM
Slypenny Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC/UK/FSU/NKU
Not really sure if Jurich has the BE best interest in mind. He is still angling to get out of this thing, hoping some of the chips above them fall apart. Whether we have a commish or not, we are not going to be part of the selection process for the championship. Never really were, we had to go undefeated and have a lot happen, and it will still be that way. A chance, but 9 times out of 10, we will not make it to one of these major bowls.
06-19-2012 09:40 PM
smu89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
06-20-2012 12:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.