Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sportsline/BIG EAST hires search firm to find next commish
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CBS Sportsline/BIG EAST hires search firm to find next commish
By Brett McMurphy | College Football Insider

June 11, 2012 12:15 pm ET

Russell Reynolds Associates, a search firm where Big East acting commissioner Joe Bailey was a former partner, has been hired by the Big East to conduct the search for its next commissioner.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...xt-commish
06-11-2012 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
RE: CBS Sportsline/BIG EAST hires search firm to find next commish
Progress... Like the salary increase.
06-11-2012 11:45 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Just one question. What took them so long to hire the search firm? Also, hiring Bailey's firm seems a little suspect.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 11:47 AM by TripleA.)
06-11-2012 11:46 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
The part I think that's most important is exposure to media. Marinatto did a horrible job managing it. He was either invisible or doing something stupid in the media. When he sent roses tp Dan Beebee I thought it was a joke. When he got Swofford and BeeBee together to talk about ethics of conference realignment I knew he was in way over his head. Right after the meeting, Swofford the snake oil salesman raided the BE in the middle of the night. BeeBee's B12 took TCU and later WVU. People that run things based on ethics have no business running a conference. These days, you need scumbags like Neinas and Swofford to get the job done. It is what it is.
06-11-2012 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
This NEEDS to be a slam dunk. Biggest decision this conference has had since turning down PSU.
06-11-2012 11:51 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2012 11:51 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  This NEEDS to be a slam dunk. Biggest decision this conference has had since turning down PSU.
(06-11-2012 11:46 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Just one question. What took them so long to hire the search firm? Also, hiring Bailey's firm seems a little suspect.

This is such a simple hire and really if $$$$$ is no object now the only one IMHO that is "perfect" for this job is Kevin Weiberg.

Now he may be in line to replace Delany when he steps down as B1G commish but he more then fits the criteria. Plus he has a relationship with everyone in the room...juz say'n.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 11:54 AM by Maize.)
06-11-2012 11:53 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(06-11-2012 11:53 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 11:46 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Just one question. What took them so long to hire the search firm? Also, hiring Bailey's firm seems a little suspect.

This is such a simple hire and really if $$$$$ is no object now the only one IMHO that is "perfect" for this job is Kevin Weiberg.

Now he may be in line to replace Delany when he steps down as B1G commish but he more then fits the criteria. Plus he has a relationship with everyone in the room...juz say'n.
I absolutely agree about Weiberg.
06-11-2012 11:54 AM
BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
(06-11-2012 11:49 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  The part I think that's most important is exposure to media. Marinatto did a horrible job managing it. He was either invisible or doing something stupid in the media. When he sent roses tp Dan Beebee I thought it was a joke. When he got Swofford and BeeBee together to talk about ethics of conference realignment I knew he was in way over his head. Right after the meeting, Swofford the snake oil salesman raided the BE in the middle of the night. BeeBee's B12 took TCU and later WVU. People that run things based on ethics have no business running a conference. These days, you need scumbag like Neinas and Swofford to get the job done. It is what it is.

I don't know if there is any evidence to support the effectiveness of a sheisty commish vs his nice guy counterpart. All moves so far have fallen in line with the existing conferenc heirarchy of CFB. If somehow CUSA or the SB poached the Big 12, then a clear case could be made for whatever that type of commissioner is, as being the best type.
06-11-2012 11:58 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Yep. I been saying forver Weiberg should be the guy. He was one of the finalists when they hired Marinatto. I had no idea what BE presidents were thinking when they hired Marinatto. Marinatto is fine as a second in command doing things in the background, but he was beyond over his head when he took on the commissioner position.
06-11-2012 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2012 11:58 AM)BroncoFan78 Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 11:49 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  The part I think that's most important is exposure to media. Marinatto did a horrible job managing it. He was either invisible or doing something stupid in the media. When he sent roses tp Dan Beebee I thought it was a joke. When he got Swofford and BeeBee together to talk about ethics of conference realignment I knew he was in way over his head. Right after the meeting, Swofford the snake oil salesman raided the BE in the middle of the night. BeeBee's B12 took TCU and later WVU. People that run things based on ethics have no business running a conference. These days, you need scumbag like Neinas and Swofford to get the job done. It is what it is.

I don't know if there is any evidence to support the effectiveness of a sheisty commish vs his nice guy counterpart. All moves so far have fallen in line with the existing conferenc heirarchy of CFB. If somehow CUSA or the SB poached the Big 12, then a clear case could be made for whatever that type of commissioner is, as being the best type.

That's not the point. The point is he told those two conference realignment should be done in the open with plenty of notice. ACC did it in the middle of the night pretty much like how they took Miami and BC. It is the same scumbag approach.

Also, I wasn't so sure the hierarchy was so clearly defined as some keep claiming here. BE was always vulnerable because of its crappy TV deal, which was to be addressed in the upcoming new TV deal. The problem is ACC/ESPN knew that, so they did a preemptive strike while BE still does not have the new TV deal. I was 100% sure had Pitt/SU stayed, BE would have got a much TV deal than the ACC. Once that happened, it would be a lot harder for ACC to raid the BE. ACC knew this so they worked the backroom and took Pitt/SU while there is still uncertainty and distrust in the BE.

Yes, we need someone who is not afraid to boost about the BE in the media. We need someone who is a scumbag like Neinas who talk sh*t all the time to the media. We need someone who is constantly out there reminding rest of the media how crappy ACC has been. We need someone who is out there preaching the fact that as long as ACC is considered a power conference, BE should be right there. Marinatto did none of these things. He sucked at marketing and media relations. He always looked like the victim rather than the aggressor.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 12:05 PM by SF Husky.)
06-11-2012 12:03 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2012 11:59 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  Yep. I been saying forver Weiberg should be the guy. He was one of the finalists when they hired Marinatto. I had no idea what BE presidents were thinking when they hired Marinatto. Marinatto is fine as a second in command doing things in the background, but he was beyond over his head when he took on the commissioner position.

Didn't know this info...03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

Weiberg should be the only choice and make him a offer he "CAN'T" refuse!!!

(06-11-2012 12:03 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 11:58 AM)BroncoFan78 Wrote:  

That's not the point. The point is he told those two conference realignment should be done in the open with plenty of notice. ACC did it in the middle of the night pretty much like how they took Miami and BC. It is the same scumbag approach.

Also, I wasn't so sure the hierarchy was so clearly defined as some keep claiming here. BE was always vulnerable because of its crappy TV deal, which was to be addressed in the upcoming new TV deal. The problem is ACC/ESPN knew that, so they did a preemptive strike while BE still does not have the new TV deal. I was 100% sure had Pitt/SU stayed, BE would have got a much TV deal than the ACC. Once that happened, it would be a lot harder for ACC to raid the BE. ACC knew this so they worked the backroom and took Pitt/SU while there is still uncertainty and distrust in the BE.

Yes, we need someone who is not afraid to boost about the BE in the media. We need someone who is a scumbag like Neinas who talk sh*t all the time to the media. We need someone who is constantly out there reminding rest of the media how crappy ACC has been. We need someone who is out there preaching the fact that as long as ACC is considered a power conference, BE should be right there. Marinatto did none of these things. He sucked at marketing and media relations. He always looked like the victim rather than the aggressor.

Just like Tranghese did during the first ACC raid. He throw a hissy fit...instead of sitting back the BIG EAST needs to be more outfront...talking to the media and in the backrooms to the Big XII/ACC.

Also, just for symbolic measures more the damn HQ out of Providence to it what I think should be it rightful HQ in NYC...juz say'n.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 12:11 PM by Maize.)
06-11-2012 12:09 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

Yes!!! Please move the offices to NYC!!!
06-11-2012 12:13 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(06-11-2012 11:46 AM)TripleA Wrote:  What took them so long to hire the search firm?

Considering the speed decisions were made WITH someone at the helm, its more shocking that it happened already.
06-11-2012 12:18 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-11-2012 11:59 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  Yep. I been saying forver Weiberg should be the guy. He was one of the finalists when they hired Marinatto. I had no idea what BE presidents were thinking when they hired Marinatto. Marinatto is fine as a second in command doing things in the background, but he was beyond over his head when he took on the commissioner position.

Tranghese gave the Big East Presidents an offer...how you say..."an offer they couldn't refuse"....hence why Tranghese's boy, Marinatto took over when Tranghese left.
06-11-2012 01:02 PM
FriarTuck420 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Providence
Also, just for symbolic measures more the damn HQ out of Providence to it what I think should be it rightful HQ in NYC...juz say'n.

[/quote]

Lets not get to crazy here. Providence created the Big East. Providence has brought the Big East to prominent ground weather you agree or not, and Providence also happens to be a group of good people. If I'm not mistaken, and I very seldom am, your current basketball coach found quite the opportunity from his days in Providence. If I recall correctly he also has sent all of his kids to Providence. So lets take the HQ to NY out of the conversation.
Just like most things in New York, if you want it done right you go to Providence. You can the heads of the 6 main families that.

We can agree that the Good guy approach is not the way to market BCS football, but men of the cloth see things in a different light. Cant knock em for that.

Tuck
06-11-2012 01:26 PM
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
(06-11-2012 01:02 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  Tranghese gave the Big East Presidents an offer...how you say..."an offer they couldn't refuse"....hence why Tranghese's boy, Marinatto took over when Tranghese left.

KL, I like reading your posts, so I can't put you on ignore... in my opinion, though, if you have one flaw, it's your obsession with the Mafia, Providence, and any combination of Italian restaurants, Providence conspiracies, Italian restaurant conspiracies, Mafia restaurants, and sometimes Catholics...
06-11-2012 01:31 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
it needs to be either Kevin Weiberg or Greg Shaheen...
06-11-2012 01:51 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
I still havent heard a decent answer to why the HQ should be moved out of Providence and into NYC. What does it matter? B10 is in Park Ridge Il, ACC is in Greensboro, B12 is in Las Colinas TX, P12 is in walnut creek CA, (isnt that where laura ingalls lived? ha ha) SEC is in Birmingham. Why arent they in larger cities? Location doesnt seem to have hurt them at all
06-11-2012 01:51 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(06-11-2012 01:26 PM)FriarTuck420 Wrote:  Also, just for symbolic measures more the damn HQ out of Providence to it what I think should be it rightful HQ in NYC...juz say'n.

Lets not get to crazy here. Providence created the Big East. Providence has brought the Big East to prominent ground weather you agree or not, and Providence also happens to be a group of good people. If I'm not mistaken, and I very seldom am, your current basketball coach found quite the opportunity from his days in Providence. If I recall correctly he also has sent all of his kids to Providence. So lets take the HQ to NY out of the conversation.
Just like most things in New York, if you want it done right you go to Providence. You can the heads of the 6 main families that.

We can agree that the Good guy approach is not the way to market BCS football, but men of the cloth see things in a different light. Cant knock em for that.

Tuck
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but if you want media exposure you go to NYC. Hell, Larry Scott was in times square pimping the new PAC-12 last summer. We need to be headquartered in Manhatten.
06-11-2012 01:54 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-11-2012 01:51 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  I still havent heard a decent answer to why the HQ should be moved out of Providence and into NYC. What does it matter? B10 is in Park Ridge Il, ACC is in Greensboro, B12 is in Las Colinas TX, P12 is in walnut creek CA, (isnt that where laura ingalls lived? ha ha) SEC is in Birmingham. Why arent they in larger cities? Location doesnt seem to have hurt them at all

Park Ridge = Chicago
Greensboro = Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston Salem and Charlotte is real close.
Las Colinas = Dallas
Walnut Creek = N. Cali, Silicon Valley
Birmingham = Large city for the South.
06-11-2012 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.