Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Independance Bowl, Any chance on SBC getting in as backup?
Bookmark and Share
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Independance Bowl, Any chance on SBC getting in as backup?
So the MWC stepped aside and this bowl is now SEC #10 04-jawdrop vs ACC.

Any chance the SBC could slide in as the backup? Great regional locatino for our schools.
06-05-2012 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
RE: Independance Bowl, Any chance on SBC getting in as backup?
Indy bowl is a natural fit for the Sunbelt, right in the dead center for alot of our Western teams.

As much as I don't want to see LaTech with any success, wouldn't a LT vs ULM Indy Bowl just be freakin' awesome?
06-05-2012 09:11 AM
txnurseken Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ULM
(06-05-2012 09:11 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  Indy bowl is a natural fit for the Sunbelt, right in the dead center for alot of our Western teams.

As much as I don't want to see LaTech with any success, wouldn't a LT vs ULM Indy Bowl just be freakin' awesome?

knowing La Tech, they would probably rather sit at home than play ULM anywhere
06-05-2012 09:24 AM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
How can this be?!?! Loser Tech was supposed to deliver the Indy bowl to CUSA.
Ouch! 03-lmfao
06-05-2012 09:33 AM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(06-05-2012 09:33 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  How can this be?!?! Loser Tech was supposed to deliver the Indy bowl to CUSA.
Ouch! 03-lmfao

Where do you dream up this nonsense? LaTech fans have said AT GREAT LENGTH that the relationship we have with the I-Bowl has been basically nonexistent.

We have NEVER said we had any influence on them. In fact, if you paid closer attention, this has been a huge pain point for our program a LONG time. We seem to be the ones they call when they're on the ropes and need a decent draw, then we're passed over like last year's dish rag for the allure of a NUMBER 10 SEC school.

And the sad thing there is, the SEC fans completely turn their noses up at Shreveport. Read their posts..."ABS" (Anywhere But Shreveport) is their mindset.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 10:05 AM by chuckk3.)
06-05-2012 10:02 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(06-05-2012 10:02 AM)chuckk3 Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 09:33 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  How can this be?!?! Loser Tech was supposed to deliver the Indy bowl to CUSA.
Ouch! 03-lmfao

Where do you dream up this nonsense? LaTech fans have said AT GREAT LENGTH that the relationship we have with the I-Bowl has been basically nonexistent.

We have NEVER said we had any influence on them. In fact, if you paid closer attention, this has been a huge pain point for our program a LONG time. We seem to be the ones they call when they're on the ropes and need a decent draw, then we're passed over like last year's dish rag for the allure of a NUMBER 10 SEC school.

And the sad thing there is, the SEC fans completely turn their noses up at Shreveport. Read their posts..."ABS" (Anywhere But Shreveport) is their mindset.

ABS is right...they have to get a lot of public money just to keep the bowl alive. However, if the matchups are right, the turnout can be good. Maybe TV ratings won't be the best, but its all about selling tickets, right? A ULM v. la tech matchup in the Independence Bowl would actually sell quite a bit of tickets. If I were the Independence Bowl, I would definitely buck a #10 SEC v. ACC matchup for a ULM v. la tech matchup.
06-05-2012 10:20 AM
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Ouch! 03-lmfao

They have proven they will only take Tech when they HAVE to and most on the bowl committee are pro-LSU and indifferent towards Tech. However, I was surprised that they visited with the CUSA and MWC commissioners on the Tech campus visit last month. There must be something hapenning there.
06-05-2012 10:39 AM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2012 10:20 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  
Ouch! 03-lmfao

ABS is right...they have to get a lot of public money just to keep the bowl alive. However, if the matchups are right, the turnout can be good. Maybe TV ratings won't be the best, but its all about selling tickets, right? A ULM v. la tech matchup in the Independence Bowl would actually sell quite a bit of tickets. If I were the Independence Bowl, I would definitely buck a #10 SEC v. ACC matchup for a ULM v. la tech matchup.

I tend to think ULM would sell a good number of tickets to their first ever bowl game, especially if played in Shreveport.
06-05-2012 10:41 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Considering that the only reason the I-Bowl was certified in 1976 was because Arkansas State had gone 11-0 and uninvited and..
Considering the bowl caved to pressure from La.Tech to not consider Arkansas State or Louisiana in 2008 (according to I-Bowl official who came to the 2009 Spring Sun Belt meetings)...
I don't particularly care if we are ever affiliated with them.
06-05-2012 10:42 AM
OwlFamily Offline

We'll we are in desperate need of a third bowl.

What other ones that are regional work and would be receptive?
06-05-2012 10:51 AM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

(06-05-2012 10:02 AM)chuckk3 Wrote:  Where do you dream up this nonsense?

No dreaming here....I've seen the insinuations for years. This thread from the CUSA board is littered with them.
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=565271

(04-11-2012 10:15 PM)DAWGZILLA Wrote:  This might all be proven wrong. This might all be proven right. I was told this about the I-bowl at Eastridge Country Club in Shreveport on the golf course by a former chariman of the I-bowl who is still involved with the bowl game.

I am an Tech alumni who talks with the Athletic Council President almost daily.

Tech does not have any influence with the I-bowl, but if Tech is in the conference that is a partner with the bowl game, that changes things.

Like I said before, the I-bowl doesn't want Tech every year and Tech doesn't want the I-bowl every year, but survival for the bowl game makes strange bedfellows.

(04-19-2012 08:49 PM)DAWGZILLA Wrote:  Visit went well. The expectation is that if CUSA votes to expand, then La. Tech will be invited.

Details of entry are: budget grown to $22+ million, completion of proposed facility upgrades, 1 game annually in Shreveport (preference is a OOC game vs AQ team, conference will help find opponent), installation of technology required by conference for scoreboards and media requirements.

I-bowl interested in partnering with La. Tech/CUSA if merger with LSU-Shreveport is approved by state legistlature.

It's been going on for years. Here's from an older[/quote] thread.

(04-19-2004 08:34 PM)tylertechsas Wrote:  As posted on another CUSA thread by HogDawg. This could be a great venue for a CUSA Bowl game! 04-rock

"Shreveport Mayor Keith Hightower also commited to get CUSA the "Big 12" spot in the Independence Bowl if CUSA invites LA Tech. (The Big 12 contract is due to expire soon.) That means that CUSA could add an Indy Bowl matchup against an SEC team to its current list of bowl games. The mayor also offered his stadium to host the new CUSA championship game.

When I look at CUSA's current bowl lineup, I see matchups against the MWC (Liberty), the MAC (GMAC/Mobile), the WAC (Hawaii and Ft Worth Bowls in 2003), and the Sunbelt (NO Bowl). I don't see any CUSA bowl matchups against BCS teams.

Well, an Independence Bowl slot against the SEC could easily rank as CUSA's "best bowl". Plus, CUSA could have use of Indy Stadium and Shreveport's promotion partnership for a conference championship football game. But it only comes with an invite to LA Tech."

HD
06-05-2012 11:57 AM
Advertisement

chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2012 11:57 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 10:02 AM)chuckk3 Wrote:  Where do you dream up this nonsense?

No dreaming here....I've seen the insinuations for years. This thread from the CUSA board is littered with them.
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=565271

(04-11-2012 10:15 PM)DAWGZILLA Wrote:  This might all be proven wrong. This might all be proven right. I was told this about the I-bowl at Eastridge Country Club in Shreveport on the golf course by a former chariman of the I-bowl who is still involved with the bowl game.

I am an Tech alumni who talks with the Athletic Council President almost daily.

Tech does not have any influence with the I-bowl, but if Tech is in the conference that is a partner with the bowl game, that changes things.

Like I said before, the I-bowl doesn't want Tech every year and Tech doesn't want the I-bowl every year, but survival for the bowl game makes strange bedfellows.

(04-19-2012 08:49 PM)DAWGZILLA Wrote:  Visit went well. The expectation is that if CUSA votes to expand, then La. Tech will be invited.

Details of entry are: budget grown to $22+ million, completion of proposed facility upgrades, 1 game annually in Shreveport (preference is a OOC game vs AQ team, conference will help find opponent), installation of technology required by conference for scoreboards and media requirements.

I-bowl interested in partnering with La. Tech/CUSA if merger with LSU-Shreveport is approved by state legistlature.

It's been going on for years. Here's from an older
thread.

(04-19-2004 08:34 PM)tylertechsas Wrote:  As posted on another CUSA thread by HogDawg. This could be a great venue for a CUSA Bowl game! 04-rock

"Shreveport Mayor Keith Hightower also commited to get CUSA the "Big 12" spot in the Independence Bowl if CUSA invites LA Tech. (The Big 12 contract is due to expire soon.) That means that CUSA could add an Indy Bowl matchup against an SEC team to its current list of bowl games. The mayor also offered his stadium to host the new CUSA championship game.

When I look at CUSA's current bowl lineup, I see matchups against the MWC (Liberty), the MAC (GMAC/Mobile), the WAC (Hawaii and Ft Worth Bowls in 2003), and the Sunbelt (NO Bowl). I don't see any CUSA bowl matchups against BCS teams.

Well, an Independence Bowl slot against the SEC could easily rank as CUSA's "best bowl". Plus, CUSA could have use of Indy Stadium and Shreveport's promotion partnership for a conference championship football game. But it only comes with an invite to LA Tech."

HD

[/quote]

You seriously just dug through 8 YEARS OF ARCHIVES to find a SINGLE example? WOW. 04-jawdrop The first two examples aren't even strong enough to be called "insinuations" --- Dawgzilla said it perfectly...at that point in time...in April of 2012...who knew what the reasoning the Independence Bowl was meeting with CUSA? And honestly, we (I, for sure) still don't know what they talked about.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 12:39 PM by chuckk3.)
06-05-2012 12:34 PM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

The first example is from this year. I see your comprehension skills aren't that great....so I'll help you.....4-11-12 and 4-19-12.

The post from hogdog was an example that this wasn't new thinking.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 12:42 PM by Fanof49ASU.)
06-05-2012 12:42 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(06-05-2012 12:42 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  The first example is from this year. I see your comprehension skills aren't that great....so I'll help you.....4-11-12 and 4-19-12.

Hog Dog is never an example of critical thinking. This is also the guy who thinks coaches are cannon fodder and never care for LTU as much as the fans.

Actually I think his belief may be true in most cases. Most coaches care for their employers only for the short time they work there. If successful they move to bigger gigs, and if not they are bitter and find excuses to why they were not. We die hard fans are in it for life.
06-05-2012 12:51 PM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2012 12:42 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  The first example is from this year. I see your comprehension skills aren't that great....so I'll help you.....4-11-12 and 4-19-12.

Well I'm sure there are times when my comprehension skills ARE lacking...and I'll be the first to admit it.

One of the quotes you chose to prove your point read --- "Tech does not have any influence with the I-bowl" --- reading again out loud (for myself, for comprehension purposes) ---TECH DOES NOT HAVE ANY INFLUENCE WITH THE I-BOWL. hmmmm....

...I miss a lot of stuff...but I really don't think I missed this one.

Just for kicks and grins, and since you apparently have so much time, go see if you can quote a Tech fan from back in 2008 that said Barack Obama would NEVER be elected president. I'm sure you can find SOMEONE to hold up as proof of how "TECH FEELS" about such things.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 01:19 PM by chuckk3.)
06-05-2012 01:16 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Ouch! 03-lmfao

The real team in this is who gets the backup. Even with 14 teams, what will likely be the SEC's 11th team (if the SEC champion is in the BCS game) going to a bowl game might be difficult.
06-05-2012 01:17 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

(06-05-2012 01:16 PM)chuckk3 Wrote:  One of the quotes you chose to prove your point read --- "Tech does not have any influence with the I-bowl" --- reading again out loud (for myself, for comprehension purposes) ---TECH DOES NOT HAVE ANY INFLUENCE WITH THE I-BOWL. hmmmm....

Try using the entire quote....and it doesn't look so out of place.

"Tech does not have any influence with the I-bowl, but if Tech is in the conference that is a partner with the bowl game, that changes things. "
06-05-2012 01:21 PM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2012 01:17 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
Ouch! 03-lmfao

The real team in this is who gets the backup. Even with 14 teams, what will likely be the SEC's 11th team (if the SEC champion is in the BCS game) going to a bowl game might be difficult.

I agree.
06-05-2012 01:22 PM
OwlFamily Offline

(06-05-2012 01:22 PM)chuckk3 Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 01:17 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  The real team in this is who gets the backup. Even with 14 teams, what will likely be the SEC's 11th team (if the SEC champion is in the BCS game) going to a bowl game might be difficult.

I agree.

Which is what I said in the original post. I want the SBC to be the "backup" in this one. Now when it comes up in 2014 for reneweal, hopefully well be able to become the primary since its regional.
06-05-2012 01:25 PM
AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
I don't understand why they did this. There are many current scenarios where there wouldn't be enough bowl eligible teams for the slots allocated. So, if your main pick is SEC number 10, chances are you'll be searching for someone. If they don't have an agreement with us, they're looking at the last SBC qualifier (or CUSA or MAC) anyway. And, since it'd be a one off with no relationship with the Belt, I wouldnt think Shreveport would be the first choice for an extra bowl eligible team if one comes up.

The I Bowl may be positioning itself for a Big East-SEC matchup. Whatever their logic, one would think they'll approach us for a back-up because we have fewer bowls than we typically have eligible teams.

For those thinking CUSA would be a shoo-in for this bowl, how many bowl slots does CUSA currently have?
06-05-2012 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.