Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if?
CubRunCard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: U of L
What if?
With the play off coming, if Notre Dame football is forced to join a conference and they join the Big East that has signed a media deal with NBC so all the media problems with ND are resolved, how would that effect the perception and profitability of the Beast?

Would a conference with Lou, Cinci, Notre Dame, USF, Houston, SMU, Boise St, UCF, Rutgers, UConn, SDST, Navy be a tougher conference than the old Big East?

Would the Beast jump over the ACC and challenge the Pac, Big 12 and Big 10 for the #4 slot?

Would the Beast media deal challenge those of the other top 4 leagues?

Would ESPiN crap its pants? COGS
06-03-2012 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: What if?
What if I woke up tomorrow 40 years younger, and with Jessica Alba as my wife? My scenario is more likely. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 10:34 AM by TripleA.)
06-03-2012 10:33 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
That's a nice dream. If ND does decide to EVER join a conference for football, it would not be the BE. ND would be a grand slam addition, but the BE has a better chance of getting an NFL-sized TV deal than it does on getting them to join for football.

A conference with Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Boise, Rutgers, UCOnn, SDSU, Navy is already tougher than the previous version of the BE.
06-03-2012 10:39 AM
broncodude Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(06-03-2012 10:39 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  That's a nice dream. If ND does decide to EVER join a conference for football, it would not be the BE. ND would be a grand slam addition, but the BE has a better chance of getting an NFL-sized TV deal than it does on getting them to join for football.

A conference with Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Boise, Rutgers, UCOnn, SDSU, Navy is already tougher than the previous version of the BE.
---------------------------------------------------------------

With the payouts getting so big it might be better for ND to join the BE. They would have a better chance of playing for the NC. After thinking about it though, not much better. The BE is going to be much stronger than Mac Brown thinks. I would love for Boise State to play the horns, never happen though. Funny how they play WYOMING, three times though, even in Laramie one time. Good grief.
06-03-2012 10:51 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-03-2012 10:31 AM)CubRunCard Wrote:  With the play off coming, if Notre Dame football is forced to join a conference and ...

Best to just stop right there.

Don't think that day will ever, ever come.
06-03-2012 10:53 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(06-03-2012 10:39 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  That's a nice dream. If ND does decide to EVER join a conference for football, it would not be the BE. ND would be a grand slam addition, but the BE has a better chance of getting an NFL-sized TV deal than it does on getting them to join for football.

I disagree. The Big East would allow ND to play all over the country in major TV markets full of Catholics and Irish, their biggest casual fans. Not to mention that they would still be tied to the rest of the biggest and most respected Catholic Universities in the country which they have the most in common with. They also know they would be the Texas/USC/UNC/Duke/OSU/UM/Bama of the league, which means they would have the leanincy in their OOC scheduling and getting some conference games moved to NFL stadiums.

Now I don't think they will join the Big East or any conference for that matter any time soon, but I think they would be more interested in the Big East than some of the conferences mentioned. Anyone forget why Notre Dame was refused entry into the Big Ten all those years ago? Or why they couldn't play regional rivalries and had to play a national schedule? Yeah, the Irish didn't forget either.
06-03-2012 11:00 AM
Advertisement

RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
Notre Dame definitely would be a game changer. Their addition would change how the conference was perceived. The ACC would have to be worried if that ever happened.
06-03-2012 09:48 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(06-03-2012 11:00 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

I disagree. The Big East would allow ND to play all over the country in major TV markets full of Catholics and Irish, their biggest casual fans. Not to mention that they would still be tied to the rest of the biggest and most respected Catholic Universities in the country which they have the most in common with. They also know they would be the Texas/USC/UNC/Duke/OSU/UM/Bama of the league, which means they would have the leanincy in their OOC scheduling and getting some conference games moved to NFL stadiums.

Now I don't think they will join the Big East or any conference for that matter any time soon, but I think they would be more interested in the Big East than some of the conferences mentioned. Anyone forget why Notre Dame was refused entry into the Big Ten all those years ago? Or why they couldn't play regional rivalries and had to play a national schedule? Yeah, the Irish didn't forget either.

The national schedule may have some appeal to ND, but ultimately what ND could want out of conference affiliation for football would be $$ and the ability to play in a power bowl. If the BE gets a grand slam TV deal and a BCS bowl tie-in, then maybe ND would think about it. But that's a lot of wishes and ifs.
06-04-2012 07:50 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
If ND Joined the BE in Football, the Media perception of the Beast would Change Overnight. It would pull the ratings of the other FB schools up with their addition. Kinda Like having Ohio State or USC joining the BE Conference "effect".
06-04-2012 07:28 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-04-2012 07:28 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  If ND Joined the BE in Football, the Media perception of the Beast would Change Overnight. It would pull the ratings of the other FB schools up with their addition. Kinda Like having Ohio State or USC joining the BE Conference "effect".

^^^^THIS^^^^

Unfortunately---aint gunna happen.
06-04-2012 07:33 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
No offense intended, but the "Will ND join our conference?" thread (on every conference board) is a little tiring.
06-04-2012 07:54 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
What if... the pink clouds in the afternoon sky were made of cotton candy?

What if ... there were so many fish there was no room for water in the sea?

What if.... over every hill there is a valley that is only 6 foot deep?
06-04-2012 08:31 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
If Notre Dame joined the Big East in football, the Big East would be the fourth most powerful football conference behind the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. No doubt.

If BYU joins, they might just be the fourth best even without Notre Dame.
06-04-2012 08:33 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
When ND does join a conference, would think it would be the BE. That would probably be the biggest news of the year.
Just wonder how many years still that may take.
06-04-2012 10:29 PM
CougarTruth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston, nBE

^and that needs to be the central theme / message our new Commish' carries to the media nationwide to counter the likes of Deloss Dodds of Texas. Just last week Dodds commented publically that the "Big East has seemed to be weakened considerably". He wishes that. He will keep saying it until our spokesman takes public issue and calls him out. In the meantime, I hope some of our AD's and interim commish step up and publically ***** slap the likes of cartel pundits like Dodds for that type of slander.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 10:07 AM by CougarTruth.)
06-05-2012 10:05 AM
Coog82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
(06-05-2012 10:05 AM)CougarTruth Wrote:  

^and that needs to be the central theme / message our new Commish' carries to the media nationwide to counter the likes of Deloss Dodds of Texas. Just last week Dodds commented publically that the "Big East has seemed to be weakened considerably". He wishes that. He will keep saying it until our spokesman takes public issue and calls him out. In the meantime, I hope some of our AD's and interim commish step up and publically ***** slap the likes of cartel pundits like Dodds for that type of slander.

This is correct. We need someone to point out, in the media,the obvious to Delouse Dudds that the Big 12 losing Colorado, Nebraska, A&M, and Missouri is certainly much weaker with TCU and WV as their replacements.
06-05-2012 11:55 AM
Advertisement

jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
(06-05-2012 11:55 AM)Coog82 Wrote:  This is correct. We need someone to point out, in the media,the obvious to Delouse Dudds that the Big 12 losing Colorado, Nebraska, A&M, and Missouri is certainly much weaker with TCU and WV as their replacements.

TCU and West Virginia have recently been to and won BCS bowls. Mizzou, aggy, Colorado and Nebraska haven't done squat lately. Based on field performance we came out ahead. Based on perception and brand, you might have a point which kinda sounds like the rallying cry from NBE schools.
06-05-2012 12:21 PM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
(06-03-2012 10:31 AM)CubRunCard Wrote:  Would ESPiN crap its pants? COGS

This would be the best thing to Happen!!!03-lmfao
06-07-2012 06:40 AM
TeleCoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
i've suggested before, and still think, the best of both worlds is for ND affiliate with the BE rather than join it. my idea is that means ND remains a football independent, but would be eligible to play in the BE championship game - they could replace the lower ranked division winner in our championship game when ND is ranked, let's say, in the top 8 nationally.
06-07-2012 09:41 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(06-03-2012 10:33 AM)TripleA Wrote:  What if I woke up tomorrow 40 years younger, and with Jessica Alba as my wife? My scenario is more likely. 03-wink

Do you need a pool boy while you are at work?
06-07-2012 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.