Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McMurphy/Big XII AD/Big XII committed to 10..expansion tabled for near future...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
McMurphy/Big XII AD/Big XII committed to 10..expansion tabled for near future...
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyCBS
RT @ChuckCarltonDMN: Neinas asked what he would do if Notre Dame called tomorrow asking to join. Neinas: "We'd accept the phone call"

Tomorrow? RT @kbohls: The Big 12 has not reached out to Florida State, Notre Dame or anyone; expansion talk is tabled "for near future."

If you can't beat em, join em RT @Matt_HayesSN: Isn't it awesome how the #Big12 has hitched its wagon to the #SEC?

Cities will bid for it RT @ChuckCarltonDMN: Big 12 favors playoff semifinals w/in bowl system followed by standalone national title game

So true RT @KegsnEggs: "We do not plan on expanding Also, if any of you happen to talk with Notre Dame, tell them we say hi" - The Big 12

The battle begins: Big 12 & SEC want top 4 ranked teams in playoff.
Everyone else conference champs

RT @BlairKerkhoff: Neinas: "Big 12 in favor of 4 highest ranked teams by selection committee; strength of sked MUST be included"

Sorry FSU, Clemson, Louisville RT @Big12Conference: Neinas "The #Big12 Athletic Directors reaffirmed their commitment to 10 members."

https://twitter.com/#!/mcmurphycbs
05-30-2012 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: McMurphy/Big XII AD/Big XII committed to 10..expansion tabled for near future...
Every single ACC school involved in this drama has said publicly that they haven't had talks with the B12, and the B12 has made it quite clear that they haven't talked to any ACC schools. And now the old B12 commish, the new B12 commish, and the Texas and OU ADs have all said they are good at 10, unless ND calls.

Yeah, FSU has some fans and alumni pining, and Clemson's board said they would listen to any overtures, but ain't nobody calling yet. I think anything is possible going forward, but right now, it's starting to look like the status quo is going to win the day. Bad news for Louisville, unless Swofford comes raiding again, right after saying he would hope the ACC could hold together against any raids on them, lol.

IF we all hold together until the TV deal is done, this could be pretty good. Having been there ourselves in C-USA, I understand what Louisville fans are going through. We'll just have to see how it comes out. Could all be subterfuge before the storm, but that's a lot of subterfuge. I have the 0impression the B12 is going to give it a year or two at 10, before they look at doing anything different. JMO.

The only things I really know are that Texas is happier at 10 than expanding with anybody but ND, which they have been public about, and that the SEC is not planning to go after any ACC teams, unless other conferences raid the ACC first.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 07:31 PM by TripleA.)
05-30-2012 07:28 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
RE: McMurphy/Big XII AD/Big XII committed to 10..expansion tabled for near future...
Sweet news!!! Come on over BYU!!!!!!! 02-13-banana
05-30-2012 07:28 PM
LAAztec Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: San Diego State
(05-30-2012 07:28 PM)TripleA Wrote:  IF we all hold together until the TV deal is done, this could be pretty good.

Exactly. Let's just all behave for a few more months please! 03-nutkick 04-cheers
05-30-2012 07:32 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2012 07:28 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Every single ACC school involved in this drama has said publicly that they haven't had talks with the B12, and the B12 has made it quite clear that they haven't talked to any ACC schools. And now the old B12 commish, the new B12 commish, and the Texas and OU ADs have all said they are good at 10, unless ND calls.

Yeah, FSU has some fans and alumni pining, and Clemson's board said they would listen to any overtures, but ain't nobody calling yet. I think anything is possible going forward, but right now, it's starting to look like the status quo is going to win the day. Bad news for Louisville, unless Swofford comes raiding again, right after saying he would hope the ACC could hold together against any raids on them, lol.

IF we all hold together until the TV deal is done, this could be pretty good. Having been there ourselves in C-USA, I understand what Louisville fans are going through. We'll just have to see how it comes out. Could all be subterfuge before the storm, but that's a lot of subterfuge. I have the 0impression the B12 is going to give it a year or two at 10, before they look at doing anything different. JMO.

The only things I really know are that Texas is happier at 10 than expanding with anybody but ND, which they have been public about, and that the SEC is not planning to go after any ACC teams, unless other conferences raid the ACC first.

I said it many times...I would love to go to the Big XII but am happy with the BIG EAST.

My main concerns are just two...TV Media Rights deal-(must be in the same ballpark as the ACC)...for myself minimum of $15 Million per All Sports Members-(especially if everyone stay together and either BYU/AFA added) and a good Bowl for our Champion-(Fiesta Bowl/Orange Bowl/Cotton Bowl/Outback Bowl)...good NYD Bowl with very good payout $$$$.
05-30-2012 07:39 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-30-2012 07:39 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(05-30-2012 07:28 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Every single ACC school involved in this drama has said publicly that they haven't had talks with the B12, and the B12 has made it quite clear that they haven't talked to any ACC schools. And now the old B12 commish, the new B12 commish, and the Texas and OU ADs have all said they are good at 10, unless ND calls.

I said it many times...I would love to go to the Big XII but am happy with the BIG EAST.

My main concerns are just two...TV Media Rights deal-(must be in the same ballpark as the ACC)...for myself minimum of $15 Million per All Sports Members-(especially if everyone stay together and either BYU/AFA added) and a good Bowl for our Champion-(Fiesta Bowl/Orange Bowl/Cotton Bowl/Outback Bowl)...good NYD Bowl with very good payout $$$$.
At $15M per school, all sports, I think you're going to fall short. The last ESPN offer was something between $11-14M per school, depending on which media outlet you want to believe. And now we have 14 FB and 18 BB schools, vs. 9 and 16. And hurt by the ones who left, from a TV contract standpoint.

Also, it is unlikely we will get a Fiesta/Orange/Cotton tie-in. We didn't have one before. Have no clue about the Outback. Of course, maybe FedEx can help somewhere with sponsorship, but I have no idea, for certain.

I just think your expectations are unrealistic, given the current situation. I would love to be wrong, of course.
05-30-2012 07:46 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2012 07:46 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

At $15M per school, all sports, I think you're going to fall short. The last ESPN offer was something between $11-14M per school, depending on which media outlet you want to believe. And now we have 14 FB and 18 BB schools, vs. 9 and 16. And hurt by the ones who left, from a TV contract standpoint.

Also, it is unlikely we will get a Fiesta/Orange/Cotton tie-in. We didn't have one before. Have no clue about the Outback. Of course, maybe FedEx can help somewhere with sponsorship, but I have no idea, for certain.

I just think your expectations are unrealistic, given the current situation. I would love to be wrong, of course.

According to the ESPN Blog as of today the ESPN deal was worth roughly around $13 Million Per All Sports Members.

David Carter, executive director of the Sports Business Institute at the University of Southern California said this in this article that came out yesterday and he is the pessimist:

So from where Carter sits in Pac-12 country, the Big East might be hard-pressed to secure a TV deal that matches, say, the ACC's deal with ESPN. But if more than one outlet is bidding, the Big East can certainly match or exceed the deal it bypassed last year.

And here is the optimist...But New York-based sports media consultant Lee Berke:

"As tempting as it may have been, the marketplace has only gotten hotter in the interim," Berke said. "There are only a relatively fixed number of major college and professional sports out there, but there is an increasing number of potential outlets bidding for those properties. ... Honestly, I think there they are going to do substantially better. They've added some strong up-and-coming football schools in strong markets throughout the country. I think that's going to pay off for them, with the caveat that they remain stable."

Berke, who has worked with many college and professional teams and assisted the Yankees in launching the YES Network, has a more optimistic view for the Big East. He said that the Big East can ultimately fetch a rights fee in the range of the ACC's $3.6 billion deal, but only if the conference remains intact by the fall.

There are only so many major college conferences in the mix and only so many professional sports leagues available to offer programming, Berke said.

"That's a big advantage of the Big East," Berke said. "If you are a television distributor for college sports, you have relatively few options. So no matter how you want to configure these schools, there's still major programs and there's a relatively fixed amount of them. And you have more and more distributors and media platforms. It's a matter of demand"

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf...c6c85f4ea4
05-30-2012 08:03 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
I don't think the Big East will end up having one specific bowl for the conference champion. It is more likely that we will see a set of Eastern bowls, a group of California/Texas bowls, and the Liberty able to swing either way.

Count on retaining the Champs, Pinstripe, and Beef O'Brady's; possibly moving the Belk match-up to DC; adding the Poinsettia and something in Texas; and then going after the Sun with a 1-in-4 Notre Dame clause like before.
05-30-2012 08:50 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I think the Big East will end up with a decent bowl lineup. We still have a relationship with Notre Dame that wets the appetite of possible bowls. Add teams like Air Force and BYU and we have a nice group that can support bowls all over the US as a conference.
05-30-2012 08:53 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
but i thought FSU to the B12 was a done deal.........03-yawn
05-30-2012 09:25 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-30-2012 08:03 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(05-30-2012 07:46 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

According to the ESPN Blog as of today the ESPN deal was worth roughly around $13 Million Per All Sports Members.

David Carter, executive director of the Sports Business Institute at the University of Southern California said this in this article that came out yesterday and he is the pessimist:

So from where Carter sits in Pac-12 country, the Big East might be hard-pressed to secure a TV deal that matches, say, the ACC's deal with ESPN. But if more than one outlet is bidding, the Big East can certainly match or exceed the deal it bypassed last year.

And here is the optimist...But New York-based sports media consultant Lee Berke:

"As tempting as it may have been, the marketplace has only gotten hotter in the interim," Berke said. "There are only a relatively fixed number of major college and professional sports out there, but there is an increasing number of potential outlets bidding for those properties. ... Honestly, I think there they are going to do substantially better. They've added some strong up-and-coming football schools in strong markets throughout the country. I think that's going to pay off for them, with the caveat that they remain stable."

Berke, who has worked with many college and professional teams and assisted the Yankees in launching the YES Network, has a more optimistic view for the Big East. He said that the Big East can ultimately fetch a rights fee in the range of the ACC's $3.6 billion deal, but only if the conference remains intact by the fall.

There are only so many major college conferences in the mix and only so many professional sports leagues available to offer programming, Berke said.

"That's a big advantage of the Big East," Berke said. "If you are a television distributor for college sports, you have relatively few options. So no matter how you want to configure these schools, there's still major programs and there's a relatively fixed amount of them. And you have more and more distributors and media platforms. It's a matter of demand"

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf...c6c85f4ea4
Yeah, it could go low or high. No way to tell. I tend to believe it's going to be better than most of us think. I'm just not willing to peg a number to it, and then be disappointed if we don't hit the mark.

Matching the per school deal from ESPN's last offer would be a big achievement, considering we increased the number of FB schools by 55% (from 9 to 14), and the BB schools by 13% (from 16 to 18). And lost 'Cuse, Pitt and WVU.

Matching the ACC number of $17M per school seems unrealistic. JMO, but you never know.
05-30-2012 10:40 PM
Advertisement

BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Told you fools so (not all are fools, but SOME folks just LOVE any "movement" scenario.)

That thing is not always the case in reality.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 11:38 PM by BadWillHunting.)
05-30-2012 11:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Certainly starting to look and sound like everybody is staying put, which bodes well for our contract.
05-30-2012 11:39 PM
Coog82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
(05-30-2012 07:16 PM)Maize Wrote:  Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyCBS
RT @ChuckCarltonDMN: Neinas asked what he would do if Notre Dame called tomorrow asking to join. Neinas: "We'd accept the phone call"

Tomorrow? RT @kbohls: The Big 12 has not reached out to Florida State, Notre Dame or anyone; expansion talk is tabled "for near future."

If you can't beat em, join em RT @Matt_HayesSN: Isn't it awesome how the #Big12 has hitched its wagon to the #SEC?

Cities will bid for it RT @ChuckCarltonDMN: Big 12 favors playoff semifinals w/in bowl system followed by standalone national title game

So true RT @KegsnEggs: "We do not plan on expanding Also, if any of you happen to talk with Notre Dame, tell them we say hi" - The Big 12

The battle begins: Big 12 & SEC want top 4 ranked teams in playoff.
Everyone else conference champs

RT @BlairKerkhoff: Neinas: "Big 12 in favor of 4 highest ranked teams by selection committee; strength of sked MUST be included"

Sorry FSU, Clemson, Louisville RT @Big12Conference: Neinas "The #Big12 Athletic Directors reaffirmed their commitment to 10 members."

https://twitter.com/#!/mcmurphycbs

Texas gets it way...again...as the fans who know them well have been saying. They do not want to expand and would be quite happy remaining at 10. It makes there path to the playoff much easier in their minds. So, you will have to out vote them, and their yes men (Baylor, TT, and probably TCU) to make it happen. At least for the time being anyway.

Now we need to get BYU in and wrap up the contract with NBC/Fox that is equal to or better than the ACC. I believe we can do it just like the NYTimes article stated...due to supply and demand.

Has anyone seen Wilkie? I hope with this difficult news, he is alright. 03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 11:59 PM by Coog82.)
05-30-2012 11:46 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I find it interesting that these tweets have not made it to the expansion board......
03-cloud9
05-31-2012 06:21 AM
northerncougar Offline
Water Engineer

This has probably been discussed, but couldn't it be possible that ESPN achieves the best revenue from the schools being where they are now. Moving FSU or Clemson to the Big 12 results in changes to two contracts, and what if the overall value to them drops? We (as fans) think some changes would be attractive, but it seems that they are not always better for the networks.

Here's to some stability 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 06:55 AM by northerncougar.)
05-31-2012 06:55 AM
Advertisement

BroncoFan78 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
Makes sense to me. Why expand now when you know the entire system is about to change? Play with the what you've got until you know exactly what type of game you'll be playing under the new system. Then expand if you feel it is to your advantage.
05-31-2012 07:00 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-31-2012 06:21 AM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  I find it interesting that these tweets have not made it to the expansion board......
03-cloud9
Haha, I considered posting them, but decided it wasn't worth it with some of those cuckoos. I posted a few days ago that I thought Texas was still opposed to any B12 expansion, and you would have thought I burned all their houses down. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 08:12 AM by TripleA.)
05-31-2012 08:10 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(05-31-2012 06:55 AM)northerncougar Wrote:  This has probably been discussed, but couldn't it be possible that ESPN achieves the best revenue from the schools being where they are now. Moving FSU or Clemson to the Big 12 results in changes to two contracts, and what if the overall value to them drops? We (as fans) think some changes would be attractive, but it seems that they are not always better for the networks.

Here's to some stability 04-cheers

One thing to remember in regards to Conf TV Contracts:

1) ESPN owns 100% of ACC Broadcast rights for the next 15 years!

2) ESPN/FOX "share" the Big 12 Broadcast rights.

If FSU/Clemson were to leave the ACC (especially if they brought Va Tech and Miami with them) and to go Big 12...it would be devasting to both the ACC "and" ESPN.

In regards to the Big 12...FOX would be the biggest winner...because right now they don't have ANY TV rights to FSU, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech or any other East Coast team.

I think ESPN wants to keep FSU and Clemson in their 100% contract...and not have to "share them" with FOX...plus, have a totally devalued conf left behind that they are locked in with for another 15 years (ACC).
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 08:35 AM by KnightLight.)
05-31-2012 08:34 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
FWIW - Our buddy Greg Swaim is creaming his jeans saying that these denials amount to jack squat.

Quote:Greg Swaim ‏@GSwaim
Got the call I was waiting on. Despite predictable "we're fine at 10" sound bytes from #Big12, #FSU & #Clemson are "full steam ahead".

The #Big12 line will eventually be "we were just fine at 10, but couldn't turn down these two terrific schools." #FSU #Clemson

Ironically Dodds isn't blocking any of this, so he's falling in line. No doubt thinks the additions will somehow help the LHN down the road.
05-31-2012 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.