Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could this news regarding FOX impact BE TV negotations?
Bleedin Blue Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
Could this news regarding FOX impact BE TV negotations?
I'm not sure how prevalent this is in other Big East markets, but I've been reading that FOX affiliates all throughout Idaho will be dropping FOX programming this summer. Apparently, FOX is demanding fees from local affiliates that exceeds revenue for many Idaho stations. Another local station in the Boise area will be picking up FOX programming, but Twin Falls and Idaho Falls/Pocatello it appears may be without FOX. That's everything east of Boise.

While that area isn't even a drop in the bucket with regards to the overall number of households in the conference, if this remains, it's possible that Boise State will object to FOX becoming a major player. If this trend continues in enough of other areas around Big East country, it will begin to negatively impact our negotiations with FOX and could take them out of the picture. Is this happening anywhere else?

It's very possible this may all just be posturing and that FOX will eventually give in to demands if they continue to lose more affiliates, but what if they don't?

Anyway, the less certain networks are in play, the less money our contract would be able to garner. Just wanted to pass this along as it may be something to keep an eye on.... thoughts?

EDIT: Here's an old link outlining the negotiations. The developments in Idaho have occured within the past month: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-09...m-fee.html
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 03:54 PM by Bleedin Blue.)
05-29-2012 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: Could this news regarding FOX impact BE TV negotations?
(05-29-2012 03:52 PM)Bleedin Blue Wrote:  It's very possible this may all just be posturing and that FOX will eventually give in to demands if they continue to lose more affiliates, but what if they don't?

Stations and cable/sat offers have been playing chicken since the beginning of time...and yes, sometimes channel disappear for a few days or even a few weeks in some rare instances...but 99% of the time (or more), they end up finding a solutions.

Scare tactics will always be used...and stations to cable/sat companies will continue to play "chicken".
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 03:56 PM by KnightLight.)
05-29-2012 03:55 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-29-2012 03:55 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 03:52 PM)Bleedin Blue Wrote:  It's very possible this may all just be posturing and that FOX will eventually give in to demands if they continue to lose more affiliates, but what if they don't?

Stations and cable/sat offers have been playing chicken since the beginning of time...and yes, sometimes channel disappear for a few days or even a few weeks in some rare instances...but 99% of the time (or more), they end up finding a solutions.

Scare tactics will always be used...and stations to cable/sat companies will continue to play "chicken".

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
05-29-2012 04:04 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Agree. No impact, IMO.
05-29-2012 04:05 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
This is the exact same stuff FOX pulled here in Orlando a few years ago. It's a negotiating ploy. It will get worked out.
05-29-2012 04:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.