RE: Full Fed Audit will have House floor vote
about damn time
05-25-2012 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Don't see how this doesn't pass. Seems entirely sensible and could also be easily used against someone this November and in the future.
05-25-2012 08:52 PM
rice09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Why is this seen as important? Do people suspect that the Fed overstated its earnings or that it misplaced some customer collateral? If this is about the Fed's role in the economy, why bother with an audit? The fact that we have fractional reserve banking system is hardly secret. While you sometimes have to wonder why the board chooses a target interest rate, whatever target they choose is reported by virtually all business media sources and the information that the board uses to make its decision is available right on their website. Inflation rates are meticulously tracked, and the basket of goods used to calculate the inflation rate is available. I would be shocked if the Mint did not publish the amount of cash they are printing. If they made any rule changes to encourage the housing bubble, they almost certainly appeared in the federal register or some equivalent mechanism. The 'scandal' of the Fed is not what they do behind closed doors, it is that nobody, not even those on the board, can be sure of what the short-term and long-term effects of the Fed's policies will be. It's not that their policies are secretive, it is that the way those policies interact with each other, the US economy, and the world economy is so complex, nobody can truly predict their effect.
05-26-2012 01:07 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-26-2012 01:07 AM)rice09 Wrote:  The fact that we have fractional reserve banking system is hardly secret. While you sometimes have to wonder why the board chooses a target interest rate, whatever target they choose is reported by virtually all business media sources and the information that the board uses to make its decision is available right on their website.

Why they make their decisions is more important than the decision itself. The WHY is precisely why you do an audit in the first place.

The Fed also doesn't publish in many instances who it lends money to. During the bailout the Fed gave out hundreds of billions in loans. You audit to discover who got those loans and under what terms to ensure there was no "inside baseball" going on. I'd bet my house that Goldman Sachs, because of its incestuous relationship with many at the Fed, got a honey of a deal on loans from the Fed.

Now I agree there needs to be a certain amount of secrecy in what the Fed does because decisions should be based on monetary policy, not politics. As we saw with the GM bailout, when politics gets involved it just screws everything up. However an audit and then report to Congress could still allow for a certain degree of discretion in what is reported.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 07:48 AM by Ninerfan1.)
05-26-2012 07:48 AM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Why not audit the Fed?
05-26-2012 08:15 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-26-2012 01:07 AM)rice09 Wrote:  Why is this seen as important? Do people suspect that the Fed overstated its earnings or that it misplaced some customer collateral? If this is about the Fed's role in the economy, why bother with an audit? The fact that we have fractional reserve banking system is hardly secret. While you sometimes have to wonder why the board chooses a target interest rate, whatever target they choose is reported by virtually all business media sources and the information that the board uses to make its decision is available right on their website. Inflation rates are meticulously tracked, and the basket of goods used to calculate the inflation rate is available. I would be shocked if the Mint did not publish the amount of cash they are printing. If they made any rule changes to encourage the housing bubble, they almost certainly appeared in the federal register or some equivalent mechanism. The 'scandal' of the Fed is not what they do behind closed doors, it is that nobody, not even those on the board, can be sure of what the short-term and long-term effects of the Fed's policies will be. It's not that their policies are secretive, it is that the way those policies interact with each other, the US economy, and the world economy is so complex, nobody can truly predict their effect.

But you're describing what the Fed is supposed to do. The purpose of an audit is to identify the things that they may be doing that they are not supposed to be doing. And since those things happen behind closed doors, who knows what they are at this point? There may be nothing, there may not, but either way we are better off knowing.

I personally think all major federal agencies should have full annual independent audits, just like publicly traded corporations. They should be held to some standard equivalent to Sarbanes-Oxley. Why should we trust a federal bureaucrat more than a corporate executive?
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 08:23 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
05-26-2012 08:22 AM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(05-26-2012 08:22 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(05-26-2012 01:07 AM)rice09 Wrote:  Why is this seen as important? Do people suspect that the Fed overstated its earnings or that it misplaced some customer collateral? If this is about the Fed's role in the economy, why bother with an audit? The fact that we have fractional reserve banking system is hardly secret. While you sometimes have to wonder why the board chooses a target interest rate, whatever target they choose is reported by virtually all business media sources and the information that the board uses to make its decision is available right on their website. Inflation rates are meticulously tracked, and the basket of goods used to calculate the inflation rate is available. I would be shocked if the Mint did not publish the amount of cash they are printing. If they made any rule changes to encourage the housing bubble, they almost certainly appeared in the federal register or some equivalent mechanism. The 'scandal' of the Fed is not what they do behind closed doors, it is that nobody, not even those on the board, can be sure of what the short-term and long-term effects of the Fed's policies will be. It's not that their policies are secretive, it is that the way those policies interact with each other, the US economy, and the world economy is so complex, nobody can truly predict their effect.

But you're describing what the Fed is supposed to do. The purpose of an audit is to identify the things that they may be doing that they are not supposed to be doing. And since those things happen behind closed doors, who knows what they are at this point? There may be nothing, there may not, but either way we are better off knowing.

I personally think all major federal agencies should have full annual independent audits, just like publicly traded corporations. They should be held to some standard equivalent to Sarbanes-Oxley. Why should we trust a federal bureaucrat more than a corporate executive?

Based on history, I think it is safe to say you can trust corporations a lot more. There are exceptions, but almost all of those corporations don't exist anymore.
05-26-2012 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
The Bill will die a quick death in the Reid controlled Senate, like all meaningful legislation.
05-26-2012 09:31 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
With the no budget, no audit no nothing and the debt crisis, how can dims expect re election.
05-26-2012 11:18 AM
Advertisement

uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
(05-26-2012 11:18 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  With the no budget, no audit no nothing and the debt crisis, how can dims expect re election.

Stupid sheeple? Idealists?
05-26-2012 12:03 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
It is seen as important because Ron Paul says it is important.
05-26-2012 12:38 PM
rice09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Thanks, Ninerfan1 and Owl69/70/75 for the explanation! I do agree that all agencies should be audited every year, since it is always a good idea to verify that money is being spent and received as budgeted and that it is located in the expected accounts (accounting also tends to have a snowball effect in that a minor, innocent mistake can become a huge accounting headache later on if not caught or fixed). I wonder if an audit can actually turn-up the more interesting questions of why the board makes its decisions.

Since nobody really likes the Fed these days, I can't see how there could be opposition to this. If this bill does fail, I think the Republicans should try a bill that audits every agency. Given the embarrassment with the GSA (which to be fair, is neither party's fault), it would look really bad for the Democrats to kill such a bill. I could not even fathom their explanation for doing so.
05-26-2012 12:51 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(05-26-2012 12:51 PM)rice09 Wrote:  

Thanks, Ninerfan1 and Owl69/70/75 for the explanation! I do agree that all agencies should be audited every year, since it is always a good idea to verify that money is being spent and received as budgeted and that it is located in the expected accounts (accounting also tends to have a snowball effect in that a minor, innocent mistake can become a huge accounting headache later on if not caught or fixed). I wonder if an audit can actually turn-up the more interesting questions of why the board makes its decisions.

Since nobody really likes the Fed these days, I can't see how there could be opposition to this. If this bill does fail, I think the Republicans should try a bill that audits every agency. Given the embarrassment with the GSA (which to be fair, is neither party's fault), it would look really bad for the Democrats to kill such a bill. I could not even fathom their explanation for doing so.
No way in HELL would the righties do that. It would mean that the Pentagon would be audited. 05-nono Btw, according to this article/Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore, "In fact, under current law, the Pentagon is exempt from a federal law that requires all federal agencies to complete annual audits."(ie. that law seems to already exist)

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index...om_au.html
05-26-2012 01:26 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-26-2012 01:26 PM)RobertN Wrote:  No way in HELL would the righties do that. It would mean that the Pentagon would be audited.

More of your stupidity.

Conservatives have no problem with the Pentagon, and every other federal agency being audited.
05-26-2012 02:58 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(05-26-2012 02:58 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  
(05-26-2012 01:26 PM)RobertN Wrote:  No way in HELL would the righties do that. It would mean that the Pentagon would be audited.

More of your stupidity.

Conservatives have no problem with the Pentagon, and every other federal agency being audited.
Liar.
05-26-2012 03:21 PM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
(05-26-2012 03:21 PM)RobertN Wrote:  

More of your stupidity.

Liar.

When their quasi-business interests overlap military expenditures, you can bet your sweet bottom that (neo)conservatives will be fully against auditing key intelligence and military agencies.

Not necessarily a direct falsehood, but it is, in part, a lie.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 04:59 PM by TampaKnight.)
05-26-2012 04:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-26-2012 04:59 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  
Liar.
When their quasi-business interests overlap military expenditures, you can bet your sweet bottom that (neo)conservatives will be fully against auditing key intelligence and military agencies.

I would support a full, top-to-bottom audit of the Pentagon and the CIA just like the Fed and all the "domestic" agencies.
05-26-2012 05:06 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-26-2012 05:06 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(05-26-2012 04:59 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  
Liar.

I would support a full, top-to-bottom audit of the Pentagon and the CIA just like the Fed and all the "domestic" agencies.

I'm in.

The DoD is as susceptible to waste, theft, and graft as every other government agency, and should not be spared.

We want a clean government. Nobody is exempt.
05-26-2012 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.