ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Expanding your stadium
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Exclamation Expanding your stadium
I see you guys really show up for your games. Also you have a waiting list for tickets.

At your presser today did they get into any formal discussion about your stadium expanding? If so, what are you looking at doing?
05-17-2012 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

djnva Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: Expanding your stadium
Nothing formal. They did say that it will be looked at and someone is tasked with exploring all the options.

Wish I could say more, but the jump to FBS is a few years sooner than we thought, so things are still in the planning stages.
05-17-2012 10:53 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
I do believe w are looking into making a new master plan over the summer, should get more details then.
05-18-2012 12:34 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Please don't do it on the cheap like UCF did. We've bashed UCF since they built that POS. It literally vibrates the cameras when the games are on TV. It's basically a glorified erector set.

Charlotte has a pretty good plan that utilizes .....concrete. Imagine that. JMU also has an interesting concept I think would work at ODU. Biggest issue is the clamshell design obviously. Regardless, I'm thrilled we have a program coming in with a good fanbase. Good luck.
05-18-2012 11:13 AM
bit_9 Offline

Rich Radford: "I believe the norh end zone will come down and a curved north zone will be added upon the completion of this season, ready for the 2013 season and ready to seat 30,000. Cost? I can't answer that."

That's a great start. And sweet, I'll have a new seat.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2012 01:26 PM by bit_9.)
05-18-2012 01:26 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I hope we just stick at current capacity until we are ready/able to build a real stadium. I am afraid if we expand to 30k, we are stuck or will be revisiting for a new stadium in 5 years anyway. We aren't bringing in any BCS schools or going BCS ourselves with a 30k capacity.
05-18-2012 01:43 PM
Advertisement

The Lion King

(05-18-2012 01:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I hope we just stick at current capacity until we are ready/able to build a real stadium. I am afraid if we expand to 30k, we are stuck or will be revisiting for a new stadium in 5 years anyway. We aren't bringing in any BCS schools or going BCS ourselves with a 30k capacity.

You don't think they will be able to build over the clamshells like Northwesterns stadium. Or demo one side at a time and rebuild where the stadium sits. Where would the build a new one? Space is limited around there if I remember correctly.
05-18-2012 04:18 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(05-18-2012 04:18 PM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 01:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I hope we just stick at current capacity until we are ready/able to build a real stadium. I am afraid if we expand to 30k, we are stuck or will be revisiting for a new stadium in 5 years anyway. We aren't bringing in any BCS schools or going BCS ourselves with a 30k capacity.

You don't think they will be able to build over the clamshells like Northwesterns stadium. Or demo one side at a time and rebuild where the stadium sits. Where would the build a new one? Space is limited around there if I remember correctly.

Yeah build the endzone, then tear down one side and then tear down the other. Simple enough. I trust you guys will have a plan to get capacity raised before you get in the league.
05-18-2012 08:08 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I am thinking on the other side of University Village. That is where most of the crime comes from, which would kill 2 birds with one stone. Of course, that would require land acquisition.

I was also at the Tides game tonight and looking at Harbor Park got me thinking. That could bee expanded to be massive. Not sure how that would work though, being ODU doesn't own it.
05-18-2012 11:33 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-18-2012 11:33 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I am thinking on the other side of University Village. That is where most of the crime comes from, which would kill 2 birds with one stone. Of course, that would require land acquisition.

I was also at the Tides game tonight and looking at Harbor Park got me thinking. That could bee expanded to be massive. Not sure how that would work though, being ODU doesn't own it.

I doubt the Tides want to give away their arena to ODU, it seems pretty nice. And I doubt that ODU wants to play football in a baseball stadium, if the Tides were willing to share it.

But putting it on the other side of the village would be an interesting possibility, but it'd require a lot more land acquisition, which is expensive by itself, add in the cost of building an entire new stadium infrastructure, parking, etc, would probably have a final cost of (if my BSing skills are correct) about $200 Million . But, it'd probably be really nice being next to the river...

Maybe in the more distant future?
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2012 01:01 AM by Blue_Trombone.)
05-19-2012 01:00 AM
Monarchs Offline
2nd String

I agree. Demolish dem clamshells
05-19-2012 06:00 PM
Advertisement

ODUR8R Offline
All American

I would build one in Virginia Beach, around Princess Anne and S Independence. ODU has a Virginia Beach campus right there, could make it as big as they wanted. Selig has mentioned that around 3/4ths of ODU season ticket holders live in Va Beach.

Could still play 1 game a year at Foreman Field against, the Tribe or JMU and the rest at this off campus site.
05-19-2012 08:08 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(05-19-2012 08:08 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  I would build one in Virginia Beach, around Princess Anne and S Independence. ODU has a Virginia Beach campus right there, could make it as big as they wanted. Selig has mentioned that around 3/4ths of ODU season ticket holders live in Va Beach.

Could still play 1 game a year at Foreman Field against, the Tribe or JMU and the rest at this off campus site.

That's a bit of a hike for the students or us Peninsula folks. I'm just one man, but it would ruin my experience. I don't even go to concerts at the VB Amphatheatre because if the traffic/travel time. That location isn't even convenient for most of the people that live in VB.
05-19-2012 09:14 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Ya, Just an idea. Probably not the best one, but I do know that Selig has mentioned on numerous occasions that Va Beach residents make up by far the majority of ticket holders in both sports. It would be a nice recruiting chip to have a 50,000 seat arena about 1 mile from Landstown, Salem and Green Run. Those schools are D-1 football factories.

I'm sure VB city council would love to have ODU more involved with the city of Va Beach.
05-19-2012 09:21 PM
The Lion King

(05-19-2012 08:08 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  I would build one in Virginia Beach, around Princess Anne and S Independence. ODU has a Virginia Beach campus right there, could make it as big as they wanted. Selig has mentioned that around 3/4ths of ODU season ticket holders live in Va Beach.

No way you can't move off campus that kills the atmosphere.
05-19-2012 09:21 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

No no no. An on campus stadium is a must for an electric stadium. It's unrealistic to expect students living in Norfolk to travel to Virginia Beach every Saturday.
05-19-2012 09:30 PM
Advertisement

ODUR8R Offline
All American

I don't know the answer, I'm not in the camp of expanding Foreman Field. It needs to be a stadium that gets the attention of the type of conferences we want to be affiliated with in 10 years or so. Not just a band-aid.

Another question is how does Hampton Boulevard absorb two to three times the traffic.
05-19-2012 09:44 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

The question is, what is the max capacity that Foreman can be expanded? Unless I know the answer, tough to form an opinion. I'd just hate to spend tens of millions to expand to 30k-40k, then need to build a new stadium 5 years later.
05-19-2012 10:07 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
If you decide to do away with the clam shell design you could do something similar to what JMU did. Tear down one side and rebuild it before the start of the next season. The following year just do the same thing for the other side.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2012 10:23 PM by MUHERD76.)
05-19-2012 10:23 PM
metternick Offline
Bench Warmer

Expanding your stadium

What is the capacity of the Virginia Beach sports plex? Didn't a minor league football team pack it in last year?

Just a temporary home while we flatten Laberts point and build a 55-60 k with option to expand! Incorporate better student housing and throw in some new academic buildings while we are at it.

Let the state underwrite it, like JMU did. If they can do it for a women's school with small time football, they can do it for us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
05-20-2012 06:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.