slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
QB Talk
Ok, I know we have the following on our depth chart:

8 Eric Soza (6-1, 200, Jr.-1L) 10/10
6 Tucker Carter (6-3, 215, Jr.-TR) 0/0
-or- 7 Ryan Polite (6-2, 190, Fr.-RS) 0/0

Zach Conque comes in this season. Where do you see him in the depth chart based on his talent? Will he be red-shirted? Or his he an immediate star? Will it be a four-way competition for starting QB for 2012 seaon?

Also, I don't know much about and haven't heard much about Tucker Carter. Anyone have information about him? I'm surprised Polite is tied with anyone. I'm not taking anything away from Soza or Carter. I think they all have great potential and all deserve to play at CUSA level.
05-10-2012 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RowdyRunnerRowd Offline
2nd String

RE: QB Talk
I think Conque will be redshirted but will be a huge star. Tucker is apparently really skilled as well but just needs a little more time to learn the offense. Once he does though it will be very competitive for starting slot.
05-10-2012 08:06 PM
UTSAsports Offline
Water Engineer

(05-10-2012 01:25 PM)slow-runner Wrote:  Zach Conque comes in this season. Where do you see him in the depth chart based on his talent? Will he be red-shirted? Or his he an immediate star? Will it be a four-way competition for starting QB for 2012 seaon?

Also, I don't know much about and haven't heard much about Tucker Carter. Anyone have information about him? I'm surprised Polite is tied with anyone. I'm not taking anything away from Soza or Carter. I think they all have great potential and all deserve to play at CUSA level.

slowrunner,
Zach is set to redshirt. With 3 schoarlshiped QB's in front of him and not arriving until late Summer, he'll be observing and soaking it up. Has the talent and the skills to be the face of the program possibly by RS Freshman year and don't be surprised if he's battling for starting spot as a Sophomore.

Right now, Carter has the strongest arm of the three, is mobile, not quite as much as Soza or Polite. He's also the biggest and was the most accurate during Spring Ball. He is showing that he's here to not only to compete, but play.
05-13-2012 01:47 PM
UTSA2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

Yeah, Conque will redshirt. I think Soza will be the starter until he graduates. I had high hopes for Carter. He was a good junior college quarterback. However, Carter didn't look as good as Soza during the spring game and I think someone would have to really outplay Soza for him to lose his position.
05-13-2012 03:23 PM
Advertisement

SATXBOSSMAN Offline
Special Teams

(05-13-2012 03:23 PM)UTSA2002 Wrote:  Yeah, Conque will redshirt. I think Soza will be the starter until he graduates. I had high hopes for Carter. He was a good junior college quarterback. However, Carter didn't look as good as Soza during the spring game and I think someone would have to really outplay Soza for him to lose his position.

Do not be surprised if Carter pushed Soza for the starting spot in the fall. Coker loves Carter & thinks he jut needs more time to learn the offense.
05-13-2012 07:05 PM
UTSA2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-13-2012 07:05 PM)SATXBOSSMAN Wrote:  
(05-13-2012 03:23 PM)UTSA2002 Wrote:  Yeah, Conque will redshirt. I think Soza will be the starter until he graduates. I had high hopes for Carter. He was a good junior college quarterback. However, Carter didn't look as good as Soza during the spring game and I think someone would have to really outplay Soza for him to lose his position.

Do not be surprised if Carter pushed Soza for the starting spot in the fall. Coker loves Carter & thinks he jut needs more time to learn the offense.

I hope so. I thought Soza looked to run it too often last year and missed open receivers down the field.
05-14-2012 07:01 AM
slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

(05-14-2012 07:01 AM)UTSA2002 Wrote:  
(05-13-2012 07:05 PM)SATXBOSSMAN Wrote:  

I hope so. I thought Soza looked to run it too often last year and missed open receivers down the field.

As a football fan I really enjoy a solid passing game from the pocket. I want that for UTSA. I understand why we would use the option heavily our first year and Soza did that well. But, as UTSA2002 stated, Soza seemed focused on the run and not looking down field. Maybe that was what the coaches wanted.

Moving forward I'd like to see a developed passing game with a pocket passing system. I understand the need to move the pocket with an O-Line that were freshmen & sophomores last season. This season will be difficult, but I'm hoping they develop a pocket passing system instead of a "move-the-pocket-option" system.

But that requires a real run threat. I don't know if we have a run threat. Which RB would that be?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear about a strong arm on the team! I think this will push the competition for starter and maybe push Soza to become a pocket passer as well.
05-14-2012 10:36 AM
Advertisement

warcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTSA, TAMU

I also believe Soza will be the starter this fall and next. He will lead the team very well, and be named All-WAC this year, and possibly All-CUSA the following season.

Don't get me wrong... all the qb's will push him for the starting gig. But when it boils down to it... He is the best quarterback on the team, and he'll prove to be top 1-3 in Conference USA.
05-14-2012 04:26 PM
slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

I'm doing some searches on the web for our four QBs. I must admit that it appears that Tucker Carter has a real shot at starting this season. I can't find what rating Eric Soza had, but Carter and Conque and Polite are two stars. Carter has the height advantage of all of them. I'm really liking our QB depth.

Now, what about RBs? Do we have a solid RB threat?
05-16-2012 09:56 AM
matty1982 Offline
Water Engineer

QB Talk
Stars mean nothing.
05-17-2012 09:33 PM
Advertisement

UTSA2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-16-2012 09:56 AM)slow-runner Wrote:  I'm doing some searches on the web for our four QBs. I must admit that it appears that Tucker Carter has a real shot at starting this season. I can't find what rating Eric Soza had, but Carter and Conque and Polite are two stars. Carter has the height advantage of all of them. I'm really liking our QB depth.

Now, what about RBs? Do we have a solid RB threat?

Stars are irrelevant once they're on campus and fighting for a job. It's all about performance.

My understanding is that anyone with a FBS offer is automatically a "two star", so being a "two star" really means nothing. Plus, look at Garrett Gilbert (five star) v. Colt McCoy (three star). Who had a better career?
05-18-2012 08:00 AM
slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

QB Talk
Huh. Didn't know that. Well there goes my attempt at comparing QBs. Oh, well.
05-18-2012 02:50 PM
RowdyRunnerRowd Offline
2nd String

I thought Conque was taller than Carter...
05-19-2012 09:21 AM
slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

(05-19-2012 09:21 AM)RowdyRunnerRowd Wrote:  I thought Conque was taller than Carter...

That maybe true, I didn't check his height. I accepted the idea that Conque would be redshirted so I was attempting to compare the three current QBs that could be starters this year.
05-19-2012 02:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.