Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is going to take
Bookmark and Share
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
What is going to take
For GOL to finally lose his job? I mean I can't be the only one on here who dislikes this guy. Will it finally happen this year? Or what could happen this year that would finally force him out?
04-23-2012 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: What is going to take
It doesn't matter what the average fan thinks. President Hitt likes him, and so do the big $$$$ boosters. Until one or the other changes their minds, O'Leary will be UCF's coach.
04-23-2012 03:41 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
TBH... I think he's done decent with he recruits and facilities he has. I think with a good quarterback he can do better than average. He's not the coach of our future, but he's well respected by the people that matter, and he will lay the foundation for a truly amazing head coach in the Big East.

Have patience people. We have too much going for us to fail. We'd have to have a cataclysm of apocalyptic proportions to not succeed.
04-23-2012 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
It'll probably take another season like last year before anything happens. That being said, I hope we recover well.
04-23-2012 07:27 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
A player dying in practice while Leary yells at him...nope.

Two recruiting violations investigations...nope.

0 fer 2011 on the road (including against UAB)...nope.

Maybe he needs to take a girl from the marketing group out for a ride on his motorcycle...

The problem with getting rid of him is that while he's awful with game strategy, he's good with graduating his kids and has shown growth in the program. Hitt loves him for that.
04-23-2012 07:30 PM
Advertisement

MWD1001 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Penn State
I think when his contract is up in four years he'll retire or UCF will seek a new coach. He's earned the right to coach in the Big East for at least the first couple of seasons. He did a decent job building the program up during his tenure (mostly by winning two C-USA titles and the school's first ever bowl game), but that was going to happen no matter who was the coach. UCF will need to go in a new direction a few years within the new league and O'Leary won't be that guy.
04-26-2012 11:48 AM
atsKnight Offline
Banned

I Root For: UCF
We need a coach-in-waiting. At least someone like David Kelly that everyone assumed would be the next coach. I fear for what happens on the recruiting trail when the recruits can see that GOL is either retiring soon or will just finish out his contract. Maybe we are already feeling the effects.
04-26-2012 04:47 PM
Advertisement

Delin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF & THFC
We got saddled with this contract right before Orsini left. This was after his second year at UCF, his total record at the time was 8-16. It was the biggest contract we'd ever given a coach and there was a feeling that he'd be able to keep up the improvement. He didn't, thus began a continuation of, what has been, an 8 year roller coaster ride. I think he's got 2 more seasons left on this contract, he will not be getting a new one, mostly because IIRC he said he would be retiring after this one was up.

In any event...One of the more absurd parts of that contract, was an obscene buyout clause. There was apparently some fear among the administration of the time that GoL would be successful, and some bigger school would take him from us. So in order to get the 5 million buyout for GoL's cancellation, we had to agree to payout the entirety of the contract in the event of his termination. Obviously, there are ways around that buyout (He resigns..........He dies), but I don't see that happening. So if/when we fire him, that's an additional 4 million that will be leaving the school. Add that to our CUSA exit fees...The bank's broken.
04-27-2012 08:27 AM
MWD1001 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Penn State
(04-27-2012 08:27 AM)Delin Wrote:  ...So if/when we fire him, that's an additional 4 million that will be leaving the school. Add that to our CUSA exit fees...The bank's broken.

Not necessarily. The infusion of new Big East TV Contract money (estimated to be in the $11-13M/team range) in another year or two will re-open the bank and help pay for the Planchar law suit, new league expenditures, and potentially a bigger name coach (or at least someone in the same pay range as GOL now). Gate receipts should also increase as the competition rolling through Orlando is going to draw way bigger crowds, no offense to the departing C-USA schools. UCF shouldn't have a problem attracting a new coach in 2-3 years.
04-27-2012 12:31 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(04-27-2012 12:31 PM)MWD1001 Wrote:  
(04-27-2012 08:27 AM)Delin Wrote:  ...So if/when we fire him, that's an additional 4 million that will be leaving the school. Add that to our CUSA exit fees...The bank's broken.

Not necessarily. The infusion of new Big East TV Contract money (estimated to be in the $11-13M/team range) in another year or two will re-open the bank and help pay for the Planchar law suit, new league expenditures, and potentially a bigger name coach (or at least someone in the same pay range as GOL now). Gate receipts should also increase as the competition rolling through Orlando is going to draw way bigger crowds, no offense to the departing C-USA schools. UCF shouldn't have a problem attracting a new coach in 2-3 years.

Two things:

1 (and this is just opinion) I've heard estimates of anywhere from 13 to 17 million on the tv deal... ESPECIALLY if the BYU rumblings are true. From what i've read, the sports networks really like our supply and market presence, not to mention the guaranteed profit product in Big East Basketball.

2 I believe all the incoming schools have reduced revenue for a period of years upon entry into the Big East, so dont expect to repaving the floors of Millican Hall with gold bricks just yet
04-27-2012 12:49 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(04-27-2012 12:49 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(04-27-2012 12:31 PM)MWD1001 Wrote:  

Two things:

1 (and this is just opinion) I've heard estimates of anywhere from 13 to 17 million on the tv deal... ESPECIALLY if the BYU rumblings are true. From what i've read, the sports networks really like our supply and market presence, not to mention the guaranteed profit product in Big East Basketball.

2 I believe all the incoming schools have reduced revenue for a period of years upon entry into the Big East, so dont expect to repaving the floors of Millican Hall with gold bricks just yet

Our reduced revenue is our $2.5M entry fee, payable in $500K withholdings from our first 5 seasons. No biggie. Add to that our likely $1.2M/year exit fee to CUSA and still we come out way ahead.
04-27-2012 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.