Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chevy (General Motors) dominating IndyCar
UM2001GRAD Offline
Humble to a Fault

I Root For: The Tea Party
Chevy (General Motors) dominating IndyCar
IndyCar opened up competition this year to allow more than one engine manufacturer. Honda had previously been the sole supplier to IndyCar. Chevy and Lotus joined in this year, and Chevy is dominating the competition. All Chevy drivers were docked 10 starting spots at Long Beach yesterday because of a decision to switch to newer engines during the week due to a technical hiccup in one of the test runs. Despite the fact that no Chevy driver started higher than 11th, 7 of the top 9 finishers were using Chevy engines. Congrats to GM for their clear dominance of Honda and Lotus.

I'll be in Indianapolis again for the Indy 500 next month, and I'm looking forward to seeing a Chevy in victory lane.
04-16-2012 12:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: Chevy (General Motors) dominating IndyCar
(04-16-2012 12:08 AM)UM2001GRAD Wrote:  IndyCar opened up competition this year to allow more than one engine manufacturer. Honda had previously been the sole supplier to IndyCar. Chevy and Lotus joined in this year, and Chevy is dominating the competition. All Chevy drivers were docked 10 starting spots at Long Beach yesterday because of a decision to switch to newer engines during the week due to a technical hiccup in one of the test runs. Despite the fact that no Chevy driver started higher than 11th, 7 of the top 9 finishers were using Chevy engines. Congrats to GM for their clear dominance of Honda and Lotus.

I'll be in Indianapolis again for the Indy 500 next month, and I'm looking forward to seeing a Chevy in victory lane.
Make sure you take off your Obama 2012 bumper sticker before you go. 03-lmfao
04-16-2012 12:49 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(04-16-2012 12:08 AM)UM2001GRAD Wrote:  IndyCar opened up competition this year to allow more than one engine manufacturer. Honda had previously been the sole supplier to IndyCar. Chevy and Lotus joined in this year, and Chevy is dominating the competition. All Chevy drivers were docked 10 starting spots at Long Beach yesterday because of a decision to switch to newer engines during the week due to a technical hiccup in one of the test runs. Despite the fact that no Chevy driver started higher than 11th, 7 of the top 9 finishers were using Chevy engines. Congrats to GM for their clear dominance of Honda and Lotus.

Enjoy you trip to Indy, I've heard those races are louder than ****.

But I'm assuming you posted this in the political section to highlight what a bailed out GM and it's workers can do. But unionized workers just assemble the engine parts that are engineered by non-union techno-geeks.
04-16-2012 09:10 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-16-2012 09:10 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  

Enjoy you trip to Indy, I've heard those races are louder than ****.

But I'm assuming you posted this in the political section to highlight what a bailed out GM and it's workers can do. But unionized workers just assemble the engine parts that are engineered by non-union techno-geeks.

Not the point Comrade... Now bask in our soviet Olympic medals as a sign of our superiority... Oh crap old script..

Now Bask in our GM dominance of Indy to show that GM will someday pay back the massive US loans or maybe even the bond holders they screwed so Obama could pay off the UAW.
04-16-2012 09:50 AM
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-16-2012 09:50 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Now Bask in our GM dominance of Indy

Come on. If there is anything worth 34 billion of tax payer money we'll never see again it's this. 04-rock
04-16-2012 09:56 AM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Amazing how companies prosper when the scales are tipped in their direction by government.

Man, the "liberals" on this board sure love them some corporate welfare!
04-16-2012 01:09 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
I'll admit I barely know anything about different car engines (as long as its working and gets me from A to B, I have more important things to study), I do know that when I think fast cars I think Italy and Germany. I don't follow racing, but I've always understood that Indy series was a step down from F1 and was pretty much an American only event.
04-16-2012 03:22 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

So, Chevy is breaking the rules and this is a surprise? Honda will innovate and level things out.
04-16-2012 07:07 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(04-16-2012 07:07 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

So, Chevy is breaking the rules and this is a surprise? Honda will innovate and level things out.

Have you seen some of the rules those racing teams have to follow? Changing an engine before it has 1850 miles on it shouldn't be a penalty - if I had to abide by those rules I woulda had to keep some women much longer than I wanted even though I did ride some pretty hard.
04-16-2012 07:13 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-16-2012 07:13 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

Have you seen some of the rules those racing teams have to follow? Changing an engine before it has 1850 miles on it shouldn't be a penalty - if I had to abide by those rules I woulda had to keep some women much longer than I wanted even though I did ride some pretty hard.

I'm not saying the rules make sense, I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of umgrad's claim.
04-16-2012 07:14 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(04-16-2012 07:14 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  ...., I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of umgrad's claim.

That's usually a given.
04-16-2012 07:17 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(04-16-2012 07:14 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(04-16-2012 07:13 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

I'm not saying the rules make sense, I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of umgrad's claim.

What claim is ridiculous? I don't know much about racing; I'd appreciate it if you could please fill me in a bit.
04-16-2012 07:25 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Were those hybrid or all-electric race cars?
04-16-2012 10:49 PM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater

I do not know much about Indy Car racing, but I thought a long time ago the cars were allowed to use engines from multiple engine manufactures. It seems odd to me that one automobile manufacture had exclusive rights to provide every engine for all of the teams in Indy Car racing. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just sounds odd.

First off, car companies like to sponsor racing more for the opportunities to try out new and interesting ideas/concepts that can be used in main stream cars down the road. Maybe more importantly, it's nothing more than a means to have bragging rights more than anything.

Second, if you think the "Big 3" are American comanies, then you are mistaken. Today, Chevy is American predominantly in name only, since the actual composition of "American" cars are really an combination of many parts from all over the world. In fact, it has been proven time and again that the typical Honda and Toyota out on the road today on U.S. roads has more American made parts than GM, Fords and Chryslers. Want to support the American automotive industry? Buy Honda and Toyota cars, because you will keep Americans working. Buy GM so that you can keep a lot more Mexicans and Canadians working...Sorry but that's the truth.

Finally, I LOL'd at your statement that I put in bold. GM/Chevy and technical glitch...too funny!
04-17-2012 08:59 AM
UM2001GRAD Offline
Humble to a Fault

I Root For: The Tea Party
(04-17-2012 08:59 AM)miko33 Wrote:  

I do not know much about Indy Car racing, but I thought a long time ago the cars were allowed to use engines from multiple engine manufactures. It seems odd to me that one automobile manufacture had exclusive rights to provide every engine for all of the teams in Indy Car racing. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just sounds odd.

First off, car companies like to sponsor racing more for the opportunities to try out new and interesting ideas/concepts that can be used in main stream cars down the road. Maybe more importantly, it's nothing more than a means to have bragging rights more than anything.

Second, if you think the "Big 3" are American comanies, then you are mistaken. Today, Chevy is American predominantly in name only, since the actual composition of "American" cars are really an combination of many parts from all over the world. In fact, it has been proven time and again that the typical Honda and Toyota out on the road today on U.S. roads has more American made parts than GM, Fords and Chryslers. Want to support the American automotive industry? Buy Honda and Toyota cars, because you will keep Americans working. Buy GM so that you can keep a lot more Mexicans and Canadians working...Sorry but that's the truth.

Finally, I LOL'd at your statement that I put in bold. GM/Chevy and technical glitch...too funny!

Honda has been the sole supplier of V8 engines for the last several years in IndyCar. they were fine engines that very rarely had any issues. IndyCar opted to go to turbocharged V6 engines this year and opened up manufacturing to any supplier that met the specs. 9 of the top 12 in IndyCar points are running Chevy engines. Honda can't keep up, and Lotus isn't even in the picture. Indy has been trying to convince Ford, Audi, and other manufacturers to join next season, but Chevy's dominance is making everyone else think twice.

As far as foreign manufacturers being better for American workers, 40% of the Big 3's workers are based in the USA. For foreign manufacturers, 5% of their workforce is in the USA. 81% of Big 3 vehicles sold here are assembled in the USA, only 55% of foreign vehicles. The Big 3 export nearly 800,000 vehcles each year. The typical Big 3 vehicle has twice the US part content compared to foreigns. Two-thirds of US autoworkers are employed by one of the Big 3. There are a few foreign models with high US content, but there are numerous Big 3 models with very high US content. There's just no comparison.
04-19-2012 11:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.